Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Well it wouldn't be a mystery one if they are dealing Nylander. I would assume it would be a lined up deal with team X at the same time or close to it that initial Nylander deal. I'm not saying deal him and then find a player a month later obviously that would be a huge risk.

If they could do a 1 for 1 I'd like that obviously but I'm just saying they can be creative here depending on the teams and players available.

I used Hanifin in the example because I don't think Calgary would want Nylander at his reported 10m when they have a few contracts they need to dump already. So maybe they'd be willing to take a futures package instead. If they were willing to do a 1 for 1 that'd be something I'd consider if Nylander looked like signing in Toronto wasn't happening.

Tonight was an example of why they need the new and improved Nylander.

Carrying the puck faster than defenders can defend.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Three reasons: he's an unsigned RHD who is NHL-calibre.

Even if he's 80% of what Tanev is, for example, it's still a better add for the team at no cost of assets.
I think that role is a bit too much for him TBH.

Perhaps if they move Liljegren or Timmins in another move.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Why does everyone want bear? Is there a scouting report. He appears to be a 3 rd pair d

Good skater with good defensive metrics and solid skill. He was trending as a mid pair defenseman. 26 years old. Like the old saying goes, "a free wallet".

The hope was to be able to sign him to a cheap deal and perhaps continue his upwards trend. But sounds like the interest is very high for him and some team might give a good chunk of change for the season.

Last edited:

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I heard some teams are offering Bear 2 x $2 mil. He’s a really nice add at a 1 x buriable contract… but we really do need to add a bit of size back there, not a small guy.

Reactions: horner

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I like Bear at 1-1.15M per for 2 years. He's young and at that price cheap enough to bury whenever he is passed on the depth chart.

If you hit on Bear it takes the sting out of potentially missing on deadline additions. It's an NHL body to replace the departing Klingberg. There is room for him in the immediate future.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Ethan Bear is close to signing per Friedman and the Washington Capitals apparently are the front runner.

A shame. I hope the Leafs can make a push... but not sure it makes much sense given our roster needs and limited cap space.

LD
Ferhervy
Edmundson
Sandin
Alexeyev

RD
Carlson
TVR
Jensen

Not sure why Bear would go there.

horner

May 22, 2007
I heard some teams are offering Bear 2 x $2 mil. He’s a really nice add at a 1 x buriable contract… but we really do need to add a bit of size back there, not a small guy.
In the 2nd intermission of the game last night they mentioned a team that was after 2 Philly Dman.
Walker
Seeler

I think we were the team they were talking about

Reactions: LeafParade

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Neither Walker or Seeler really move the needle for me.

Rielly - Brodie
McCabe - Liljegren
Giordano - Timmins
Benoit - Lagesson

When everyone is healthy, we’re probably running something like this.

Maybe Walker would be an upgrade over Timmins but you gotta give this guy some runway and see what we really have in him right now unless it’s for a clear upgrade.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Rielly - Brodie
McCabe - Liljegren
Giordano - Timmins
Benoit - Lagesson

Maybe Walker would be an upgrade over Timmins but you gotta give this guy some runway and see what we really have in him right now unless it’s for a clear upgrade.

Seeler would probably be an upgrade over Giordano and Benoit.

Benoit might have taken Giordano's job too, younger, more physical etc.

The price for Seeler though might make the marginal upgrade pointless.

The RD is definitely needing an upgrade though.

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
The reason why Bear is interesting is because in his last season with the Canucks his advanced were really good.

He basically made every defense partner better. Hughes had his best numbers playing beside Bear.

Now, I do not know if that was a one season anomaly or an improving trend. But if it is the latter, it means he is potential top 4d.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Rielly - Brodie
McCabe - Liljegren
Giordano - Timmins
Benoit - Lagesson

Things can change a lot through the season and the play of Benoit and Lagesson probably removed any sort of need to get 2 defenseman. Acquiring a LHD is the last thing this team needs.

Sean Walker is very underrated. He'd be a big time upgrade over Timmins. He'd probably be an upgrade over Brodie. I dunno how you don't think he moves a needle here, he would be a great add.

Flyers are 2nd in the Metro right now though. Unless they are very committed to rebuilding, they aren't making a trade for awhile.

Last edited:
Reactions: arso40

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
Things can change a lot through the season and the play of Benoit and Lagesson probably removed any sort of need to get 2 defenseman. Acquiring a LHD is the last thing this team needs.

Sean Walker is very underrated. He'd be a big time upgrade over Timmins. He'd probably be an upgrade over Brodie. I dunno how you don't think he moves a needle here, he would be a great add.

Flyers are 2nd in the Metro right now though. Unless they are very committed to rebuilding, they aren't making a trade for awhile.
I have been pleasantly surprised with Benoit and Lagesson.

I do not see the need to send out assets right now for similar bottom pair options who do not move the needle.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I apologize if someone has already raised this same point or offered ideas on it, but we need a top two dman. This means a right shot that can play big minutes and play with Rielly.

I think our depth is fine and adding a bottom four guy doesn't move the dial enough. Who would Zadorov pushed out of the lineup for example? Benoit? Lagesson? Is that a real upgrade? Worth assets and tying up our prescious remaining cap space.

I think this is why Tanev seems like the guy. He improves the PK and allows everyone to slide down the rotation.

Rielly Tanev
McCabe Liljegren (or Brodie)
Giordano Brodie (or Liljegren)

..with Benoit, Lagesson, Timmins and even Lajoie as depth guys that can step in (for injury or load management for Gio and Brodie). That's maybe too many. Timmins + a pick for Tanev?

Long post to say, I don't want a second or third pairing guy. Tanev fits the bill, we have the cap space and acquisition fo see t won't be massive and we can probably re-sign him a la Giordano.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
The reason why Bear is interesting is because in his last season with the Canucks his advanced were really good.

He basically made every defense partner better. Hughes had his best numbers playing beside Bear.

Now, I do not know if that was a one season anomaly or an improving trend. But if it is the latter, it means he is potential top 4d.

Perhaps it was Hughes progressing into what he is today, without Bear?

I kind of liked Bear with the Canucks.

It would not be a bad thing to sign him, IMO, however I'm not sure he's going to be a difference maker?

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria

One reason that attributed to this was that bear is good at retrieving dumped in pucks in corners. He is good at getting turning and then moving it - outside of hughes they were atrocious last year at doing this so basically he helped get the puck out of the zone before giveaways - which he is suspect to

He struggles with decision making while carrying

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Watch Cizikas and Clutterbuck on Monday night, because those guys could very well be Leafs by the deadline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad