Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
I'm a Bertuzzi fan and think he'll regress to his 40pt+ mean when it's all said and done, but I think he could be an interesting trade chip.

His game has not meshed with Keefe's system at all. He looks like a completely different player offensively than he did with the B's. He can't make high level plays at speed, which is the top 6's bread and butter. There's a huge opportunity cost to his 5.5m right now.

I wonder if Bertuzzi ++ (i.e. Timmins?) could be a basis for a Hanifin trade, assuming verbal extensions both ways. CGY is still in playoff contention, so I don't think they're going to sell for futures like some people think. Allows them to bump Coleman down to the 3rd line and run 4x deep lines.

Still leaves Klingberg's LTIR cap space and draft capital untouched for a potential 3C fix closer to the TDL.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I'm a Bertuzzi fan and think he'll regress to his 40pt+ mean when it's all said and done, but I think he could be an interesting trade chip.

His game has not meshed with Keefe's system at all. He looks like a completely different player offensively than he did with the B's. He can't make high level plays at speed, which is the top 6's bread and butter. There's a huge opportunity cost to his 5.5m right now.

I wonder if Bertuzzi ++ (i.e. Timmins?) could be a basis for a Hanifin trade, assuming verbal extensions both ways. CGY is still in playoff contention, so I don't think they're going to sell for futures like some people think. Allows them to bump Coleman down to the 3rd line and run 4x deep lines.

Still leaves Klingberg's LTIR cap space and draft capital untouched for a potential 3C fix closer to the TDL.

Yep, that might make sense for both.

It isn't like they'd be looking for a homerun.

Just find some player that has requested a trade and make the Cap work.

Domi seems to be fitting in though.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

It has to be agonizing for general manager Craig Conroy to contemplate removing such a steadying influence from the room via trade.

Even if the team ends up trading Elias Lindholm and Noah Hanifin for significant returns, ownership and Conroy aren’t keen on tanking, making the proper term for their likely approach a retool.

If the goal is to remain somewhat competitive while building on the fly, who better to keep around to teach an influx of youngsters how to conduct themselves on and off the ice than the 33-year-old model of consistency and professionalism?

In a quiet, one-on-one talk, the penalty-killing guru said he’d like to stay if the team is committed to winning.

“I want to win here,” said Tanev, who is in his fourth season in Calgary.

“I’ve said I would stay.”

“It is sort of all going to depend on which way the organization wants to go.”

“Me and Connie have a great relationship, so it’s easy to work with him in that regard.”

“I want to have a chance to win.”

Tanev revealed he had some contract talks with the Flames during training camp, but all such talk has been put on hold by the organization as it takes stock through Christmas.

His 10-team no trade list and $4.5 million salary are not significant trade impediments.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Leafs could in theory move Nylander for assets (let's say... 1st and top prospect) and then use that 1st and Top Prospect to land another player for their roster. Think they need to be a little outside the box here with their moves if they can't sign him.

Leafs move Nylander to Team X for said package and then move 1st and Top Prospect to Calgary for Hanifin (just using a name that's out there).

They could, but that's a lot of question marks. The team moves on from an impact player for the chance to potentially land a mystery one.

I can see why management would be reluctant to do something like that, especially with s top player. Something like that idea makes more sense for a secondary player on the team (like Brodie for example), as there's less risk

Reactions: arso40

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I personally don't have any interest in trading Brodie either. Was just using it as an example.
I’ll think of this post when Brodie cowers away from a incoming forward tonight. He’s been bad this season maybe he can cut it on the third pairing, but he’s useless playing higher in the line up imo……..

Reactions: arso40

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I’ll think of this post when Brodie cowers away from a incoming forward tonight. He’s been bad this season maybe he can cut it on the third pairing, but he’s useless playing higher in the line up imo……..

He's not playing his best, but trading him without a direct replacement coming back just opens unnecessarily a hole in the D

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
He's not playing his best, but trading him without a direct replacement coming back just opens unnecessarily a hole in the D

I would think they are looking at trading for defensemen upgrades.

If Brodie is leaving a defender is coming back.

Brodie + pick(s) + prospect(s) for improved defense.

However, if they've discussed a contract < $4mm and < 4 years maybe you keep Brodie for experience.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
If we're going for it we're going for it

We aren't trading anybody good off the roster, we will be looking to add to them instead

So forget Brodie and Nylander and think Engvall (last season) instead, I'm looking at you Kampf and/or Reeves

If we're going to sell we sell, so all the pending UFA'S but I seriously doubt that's happening

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
It's a one year deal, maybe both parties agree it might work better elsewhere?

You could almost waive / bench him and replace him with a Marlie and not lose a tonne.
You couldn't waive him, but if you can find him a move to a competitive team (Vegas?) perhaps he'll waive. You could also retain a bit of his cap hit and get a bit more to flip elsewhere.

Reactions: Rocker13 and ULF_55

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
You couldn't waive him, but if you can find him a move to a competitive team (Vegas?) perhaps he'll waive. You could also retain a bit of his cap hit and get a bit more to flip elsewhere.
I assume Bertuzzi waives his NMC if he is traded to a team that gives him an extension. I just don't know exactly who would be the candidates. I don't think the Leafs are extending him, so on some level I assume we would be open to a move.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I assume Bertuzzi waives his NMC if he is traded to a team that gives him an extension. I just don't know exactly who would be the candidates. I don't think the Leafs are extending him, so on some level I assume we would be open to a move.
Maybe, but no one seemingly offered term to him in the summer. If one does, then sure.

I think the main goal for him is to move to a team that looks like they can win a round or two.

Reactions: Finnipeg

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021

Don't think we should move on from Bert before we see him in a single post season, I reckon that's kinda why we got him. If his points don't add up by seasons end his price will need to be adjusted but if we're ever going to start keeping non core players around I would try to keep him.

He keeps up just fine with and against top players, hits the corners and blue paint, plays with energy and an edge. Personally don't think we should be subtracting Bert's, Domi's, McCabe's from the team.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
It's a one year deal, maybe both parties agree it might work better elsewhere?

You could almost waive / bench him and replace him with a Marlie and not lose a tonne.

Depending on how the rest of his season and playoffs go it'll be curious how they think about a potential extension.

I've been so so on him so far, has looked great some games, awful others.

I do wonder if he'd be willing to give a sizeable aav discount if the team offers him like 5-6 years of term and front loads the deal.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
They could, but that's a lot of question marks. The team moves on from an impact player for the chance to potentially land a mystery one.

I can see why management would be reluctant to do something like that, especially with s top player. Something like that idea makes more sense for a secondary player on the team (like Brodie for example), as there's less risk

Well it wouldn't be a mystery one if they are dealing Nylander. I would assume it would be a lined up deal with team X at the same time or close to it that initial Nylander deal. I'm not saying deal him and then find a player a month later obviously that would be a huge risk.

If they could do a 1 for 1 I'd like that obviously but I'm just saying they can be creative here depending on the teams and players available.

I used Hanifin in the example because I don't think Calgary would want Nylander at his reported 10m when they have a few contracts they need to dump already. So maybe they'd be willing to take a futures package instead. If they were willing to do a 1 for 1 that'd be something I'd consider if Nylander looked like signing in Toronto wasn't happening.

Reactions: Rare Jewel

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Well it wouldn't be a mystery one if they are dealing Nylander. I would assume it would be a lined up deal with team X at the same time or close to it that initial Nylander deal. I'm not saying deal him and then find a player a month later obviously that would be a huge risk.

If they could do a 1 for 1 I'd like that obviously but I'm just saying they can be creative here depending on the teams and players available.

I used Hanifin in the example because I don't think Calgary would want Nylander at his reported 10m when they have a few contracts they need to dump already. So maybe they'd be willing to take a futures package instead. If they were willing to do a 1 for 1 that'd be something I'd consider if Nylander looked like signing in Toronto wasn't happening.
Leafs best chance of raising Stanley is with nylander if we don’t wanna do that then let’s trade him

Reactions: Rocker13 and kb
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad