Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Just wondering where people are with Nylander.

Would you trade him by the trade deadline if the extension just doesn't seem to be happening?

Personally speaking, I would be willing to entertain it.

I'd double down one further that if we're a bubble team fighting for wild card, I would even consider jettisoning other parts such as Bertuzzi and Brodie, use the picks to try to re-load in the summer.

I'm likely in the minority though.

Yeah, I'd prefer it be done well before the deadline.

My stance is if it can be done around 9.5, then perhaps he can stay, if he's asking for Marner's contract, then I'd be looking to move him. He has a very good case to ask for that, and another team will likely give it to him on July 1st, but how do make that work for next year or even beyond?

But I will say that this contractual structure/cap allocation based on the "we can, and we will" idea is growing tiresome.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Yeah, I'd prefer it be done well before the deadline.

My stance is if it can be done around 9.5, then perhaps he can stay, if he's asking for Marner's contract, then I'd be looking to move him. He has a very good case to ask for that, and another team will likely give it to him on July 1st, but how do make that work for next year or even beyond?

But I will say, that this contractual structure based on the "we can, and we will" idea is growing tiresome.

9.5 or 10.9...I'd rather give him the 1.4M overpay than to overpay in free agency for overpaid players there too.

I think if 8x10M is on the table now, it's probably signed already.

The time to trade Nylander was this past off-season. Maybe that changes in the next 2 months but I don't think it makes any sense for a team in the playoffs to trade an elite talent.

Last edited:

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
The time to trade Nylander was this past off-season. Maybe that changes in the next 2 months but I don't think it makes any sense for a team in the playoffs to trade an elite talent.
It also doesn't make sense to lose that elite talent for nothing, does it?

I felt the same way about Marner as well; they should've really looked at moving him before the NMC kicked in.

Reactions: CuuuJooo and arso40

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
It also doesn't make sense to lose that elite talent for nothing, does it?

I felt the same way about Marner as well; they should've really looked at moving him before the NMC kicked in.

It doesn't. Treliving deserves a lot of heat for not taking care of it if it comes to that, similar to the Gaudreau debacle. If Nylander ends up walking, then Treliving to me deserves to be canned outright. Imagine employing the GM that let Gaudreau and Nylander walk? Insane.

I was fine with a Nylander trade last summer. Get some picks, get some prospects, and look at free agency or via trades to replace the big hole he leaves and you can adapt before the season starts. But doing this now is very unrealistic for a lot of reasons. We can only assume the Leafs will be in playoff contention and he's a huge part of that.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I was fine with a Nylander trade last summer. Get some picks, get some prospects, and look at free agency or via trades to replace the big hole he leaves and you can adapt before the season starts. But doing this now is very unrealistic for a lot of reasons.
You could be right, and If I were to bet now I'd say they keep him, and then he walks. a la Gaudreau.

But I also think it's the least proactive route to take.

Reactions: SprDaVE

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
If there was ever a season to take a step back and reload….

Bert and Domi could get decent deadline returns

Nylander too if you’re not re-signing.

Could probably get something for Brodie with retention.. and despite his inconsistencies, Sammy could have some appeal to teams needing goalie help

Reactions: meefer

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
9.5 or 10.9...I'd rather give him the 1.4M overpay than to overpay in free agency for overpaid players there too.

Do you think Sam Reinhart is getting $10M from Florida? Is there any chance he get $9.5M to match Tkachuk? I am going to say not because Florida is trying to get past their massive Tavares (I mean Bobrovski) signing.

The Leafs are the 11th best club in the league with Willie who is now tied for 14th in scoring. They aren't anything special because of him and they won't be bad without him. I doubt he is moved, but it is not unreasonable to think he could return a D man who could push Brodie down the depth chart plus more. What's just one more overpay is probably what KD said when he signed Mitch. It adds up and is why they were trading picks for retention and had to find discount players for 1 year deals. They can't keep setting the market every time they sign someone. Time to break the cycle because the clubs that are winning aren't the ones trying to build around a couple of superstar forwards.

Willie will cost UFA money no matter what. I think he has already turned down deals that his peers took. You don't need to over pay a star forward when you already have two of them,, that's a Dubas move. Spend the money on the teams weaknesses , not reinforcing a strength that has won nothing. They don't even need him at $9.5, they need a $9.5M defenseman.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Do you think Sam Reinhart is getting $10M from Florida? Is there any chance he get $9.5M to match Tkachuk? I am going to say not because Florida is trying to get past their massive Tavares (I mean Bobrovski) signing.

The Leafs are the 11th best club in the league with Willie who is now tied for 14th in scoring. They aren't anything special because of him and they won't be bad without him. I doubt he is moved, but it is not unreasonable to think he could return a D man who could push Brodie down the depth chart plus more. What's just one more overpay is probably what KD said when he signed Mitch. It adds up and is why they were trading picks for retention and had to find discount players for 1 year deals. They can't keep setting the market every time they sign someone. Time to break the cycle because the clubs that are winning aren't the ones trying to build around a couple of superstar forwards.

Willie will cost UFA money no matter what. I think he has already turned down deals that his peers took. You don't need to over pay a star forward when you already have two of them,, that's a Dubas move. Spend the money on the teams weaknesses , not reinforcing a strength that has won nothing. They don't even need him at $9.5, they need a $9.5M defenseman.

He probably should? I think? If he accepts a lower end deal to stay there, that's his prerogative. Nobody talks about him so it's possible. It's also possible he walks from Florida just like Nylander.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
This team won't make the playoffs with Samsonov and Jones in net, I hope Tre holds off on any trades until they know what's going on with Woll. Perhaps the Leafs will be sellers instead of buyers???????

Reactions: TheMadHatTrick

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I think we should sit on our hands and wait for now

Sort out what's happening with Woll, get some of our defenseman back and let's see how our record goes for the next month or two

If we drop off I'd like to see a "soft retool" and a sell off of our pending UFA'S with an eye to the future but if we continue winning let's add and try to win

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
I think the blues are talking.
We were in on this and more but I'm assuming the target changed after the Zadorov request. It would've been more complex that's for sure.

Ah well....onto to the next thing.

That's it?
From what I've heard, he isn't as great as he used to be. I haven't seen many blues games though so I can't say, someone else can say or give a better input.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Bortuzzo didn't fetch much of a return because he hasn't suited up all that much thus far this season. Good move for both NYI and STL???

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
its just a body essentially to have in the back end.
For which they may have only parted with the equivalent in a futures return, yes. NYI receives a player they might use for a pick they probably won't miss and STL acquires a longshot draft choice for a player they aren't likely to miss.

Reactions: Leaf Rocket

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

A mid season Nylander trade is one in which the Leafs will only get futures back, and still have no interest in that. You're absolutely right, if the time to trade him was either last summer or the summer before that.

Teams aren't going to give the Leafs valuable roster players for a rental that's playing less than 60 games for them.

They just need to get the extension done and worry about other things.

It'll be curious if Tre opts to pick up a cheap backup to help the team short term

Reactions: Rocker13 and kb

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
A mid season Nylander trade is one in which the Leafs will only get futures back, and still have no interest in that. You're absolutely right, if the time to trade him was either last summer or the summer before that.

Teams aren't going to give the Leafs valuable roster players for a rental that's playing less than 60 games for them.
The Rangers may be one, as well as Vegas or LA.

But you could also find a 3rd team to make a deal with.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The Rangers may be one, as well as Vegas or LA.

But you could also find a 3rd team to make a deal with.

I'd imagine there will be a number of teams interested in Nylander.

But futures is all they will be offering (and probably less than some folks think based on comparable trades recently). And I don't think that does much for the Leafs

Reactions: arso40
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad