Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
I was thinking picks or prospects standard rental price. Would a first rounder be too much to ask for either?
I would say so, but I could be wrong. You might get a late 1st from a team for Bertuzzi. Doubt Brodie though. Bertuzzi needs a team that play in straight lines and forecheck. Maybe someone like Vegas, Dallas, LA or Florida might be tempted?

Reactions: TheMadHatTrick

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I wonder if now that Woll is gone for awhile and Klingberg is officially out for the season if they will more aggressively pursue Ethan Bear. The trade market may not be there, so a signing may be their best bet in the short term until things start to move.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
His contract at full hit 5.1M cap hit for 4 seasons including this one. I don't think he's worth the gamble at the cap hit. I'd assume significant retention 2.55M - 4M. Somewhere between those numbers over 4 years at his age is alright. That contract compares favorably to the Schenn and Gudas deals and likely whatever Zadorov signs for who the Leafs have all been connected too. I'd be willing to gamble Ristolainen is better than them.
Agreed but still not a primary target unless they’re eating that cap hit and are taking reeves back the other way for a lower end prospect and a 5th

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
If Liljegren isn't ready anytime soon... this team really needs to figure out an addition. It's really becoming an issue and now goaltenders are getting injured.

Not sure there's an easy fix but this is concerning.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
If Liljegren isn't ready anytime soon... this team really needs to figure out an addition. It's really becoming an issue and now goaltenders are getting injured.

Not sure there's an easy fix but this is concerning.
The problem is when GMs know you're desperate and it's a big market like Toronto they're gonna try and bend you over good. Leafs might just have to eat shit for a while and scrape and claw until the TDL maybe.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
The problem is when GMs know you're desperate and it's a big market like Toronto they're gonna try and bend you over good. Leafs might just have to eat shit for a while and scrape and claw until the TDL maybe.
Yeah, finding another team that's looking for a shake-up or has had a bad start like PIT or CBJ may be best.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Depending on Willy's no trade list, I'd consider a straight up trade for Weegar who also has a 10 team no trade list with Calgary (a sign and trade would be required and that looks doubtful at this stage of the season), but would be more inclined to try to stretch the deal into something bigger.

Nylander/Domi/Timmins/one of Lagesson or Benoit (Calgary's choice) = 11.81
for
Weegar/Backlund/one of Pospisil or Duehr (would prefer P) = 12.425

*Flames hold back 50% on P or D and the salaries are a wash.
**Just noticed Backlund has a NMC, would he agree? No idea.

Knies Matthews Jarnkrok/Marner
Bert Tavares Marner/Jarnkrok (flipping between as required)
Robertson Backlund Pospisil
Gregor Kamph Reeves/McCann (prefer M)

Rielly Weegar (a true #1 pairing for 3/4 years at cost certainty)
McCabe Brodie (Lily moves into the 2nd spot next year)
Gio/L/B Liljegren (re-sign both Lily and Brodie but redistribute the salaries, both at 3.25M x 2 ?)

I suspect Calgary needs to grab a player of Nylander's abilities to play with Lindholm, or Lindholm may not re-sign. A Huberdeau/Lindholm/Nylander line might work well. A talented, defensively responsible C, a talented passer on the LW and a snipe guy on the RW. It might take that bitter taste out of the mouth from the Huberdeau contract.

Huberdeau Lindholm Nylander
Mangiapane Kadri Coleman
Zary Domi Sharanogovich
Greer Ruzicka Dube

Hanifan Andersson
Lagesson Tanev
Solovyov Timmins

horner

May 22, 2007
Our 1st is not being traded without Woll it could be a lottery pick.

I don't mind using it at the draft for a young dman.

If we do anything sign Ethan Bear

Reactions: Rocker13 and arso40

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
If we are tanking, can we use the 4 M in LTIR to absorb expiring contracts from teams who need room to make deals and get picks. :laugh:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

I dunno, Zadorov was traded for peanuts last week -- within the same division. He's not great or anything but he's a player apparently a lot of teams wanted. But I agree wtih you, it's a sellers market right now.

I'm not expecting a blockbuster here but I think it's possible to get something done by January. A good insolation depth move while the injuries pile up. Lajoie is pretty iffy and Timmins is all over the place. Shifting a forward prospect to add a defenseman would work as well, preferably waiver exempt.

Last edited:

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Depending on Willy's no trade list, I'd consider a straight up trade for Weegar who also has a 10 team no trade list with Calgary (a sign and trade would be required and that looks doubtful at this stage of the season), but would be more inclined to try to stretch the deal into something bigger.

Nylander/Domi/Timmins/one of Lagesson or Benoit (Calgary's choice) = 11.81
for
Weegar/Backlund/one of Pospisil or Duehr (would prefer P) = 12.425

*Flames hold back 50% on P or D and the salaries are a wash.
**Just noticed Backlund has a NMC, would he agree? No idea.

Knies Matthews Jarnkrok/Marner
Bert Tavares Marner/Jarnkrok (flipping between as required)
Robertson Backlund Pospisil
Gregor Kamph Reeves/McCann (prefer M)

Rielly Weegar (a true #1 pairing for 3/4 years at cost certainty)
McCabe Brodie (Lily moves into the 2nd spot next year)
Gio/L/B Liljegren (re-sign both Lily and Brodie but redistribute the salaries, both at 3.25M x 2 ?)

I suspect Calgary needs to grab a player of Nylander's abilities to play with Lindholm, or Lindholm may not re-sign. A Huberdeau/Lindholm/Nylander line might work well. A talented, defensively responsible C, a talented passer on the LW and a snipe guy on the RW. It might take that bitter taste out of the mouth from the Huberdeau contract.

Huberdeau Lindholm Nylander
Mangiapane Kadri Coleman
Zary Domi Sharanogovich
Greer Ruzicka Dube

Hanifan Andersson
Lagesson Tanev
Solovyov Timmins
If we are tanking, can we use the 4 M in LTIR to absorb expiring contracts from teams who need room to make deals and get picks. :laugh:
Woll done we are finished SELL
Are the three of you okay?

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

trade bait.png

Last edited:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

View attachment 779901

Tanev, Walker, Seeler, Peeke, Lyubushkin and Matheson I think fit a lot of what the Leafs are looking for. Obviously all varying degree's of efficiency and value. Matheson is pretty underrated for the most part, but he's a LHD so I'm not sure the fit is quite there for the salary. If he was right handed, I think he'd be my #1 target. With Boqvist and Severson out long-term, I assume the boat on Peeke sailed.

I wonder if there's a path where the Leafs could potentially get both Walker and Seeler, similar to what they were trying to do to get both Zadorov and Tanev? Walker isn't nearly as good as Tanev but if the price makes more sense...

I'd also see what the Oilers want for Broberg. Maybe Abruzzese for Broberg?

Last edited:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Just wondering where people are with Nylander.

Would you trade him by the trade deadline if the extension just doesn't seem to be happening?

Personally speaking, I would be willing to entertain it.

I'd double down one further that if we're a bubble team fighting for wild card, I would even consider jettisoning other parts such as Bertuzzi and Brodie, use the picks to try to re-load in the summer.

I'm likely in the minority though.

Reactions: andora

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria

Would you trade him by the trade deadline if the extension just doesn't seem to be happening?

I'd double down one further that if we're a bubble team fighting for wild card, I would even consider jettisoning other parts such as Bertuzzi and Brodie, use the picks to try to re-load in the summer.

I would be with you.. if the team is legit slugging, manage the business and regroup

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

The ultimate goal is to re-sign him regardless of where the team is. There's no reason why you can't re-sign him and move into next season to bounce back as a team. But it also depends on what another team is offering and it depends what Nylander wants. There are many layers to the question.

Reactions: Rocker13 and kb

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Friedman says he thinks Seattle needs a goal scorer and Francis is looking to pull off a big deal. Willie is a good goal scorer.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

Tough as it'd be to lose an asset of that quality for no return, the team's placement in the standings would likely still be my first and foremost priority.

In terms of whether or not he'll actually be re-signing with the team, even Rielly was signed by this point in the season IIRC (I know that'll end up being the easier/lesser negotiation/contract in comparison, but...).

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
The Ristolainen chatter - if we use the Kevin Hayes trade from the summer as a template (50% retention and Philly only got a 6th), is that worth the risk?

Essentially it would be Risto for 3 more years at ~2.55M, which is an overpay for a #5 dman, so you'd have to be confident he could be at least a #4. The "tools" are obviously enticing (big body, big shot, decent skater, physical, etc), but he obviously has severe decision making, hockey IQ, positional, etc issues. In Philly, it does seem he's been able to improve defensively, but his offence has also significantly dried up. I haven't followed Philly closely, but I'd imagine the messaging from the coaching staff to Risto is to try to keep things as simple as possible, reduce the decisions he has to make, and let him rely on those "tools" he has. Not sure if anyone has any thoughts specifically on how he's played in Philly under Torts, vs the historical player (who we obviously wouldn't want).

So if that's what the trade offer was - I'd be trying to figure out if we think he can play a top 4 role on a contender, and also comparing it to what you could likely get in free agency for ~2.5M over multiple years.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
The Ristolainen chatter - if we use the Kevin Hayes trade from the summer as a template (50% retention and Philly only got a 6th), is that worth the risk?

Essentially it would be Risto for 3 more years at ~2.55M, which is an overpay for a #5 dman, so you'd have to be confident he could be at least a #4. The "tools" are obviously enticing (big body, big shot, decent skater, physical, etc), but he obviously has severe decision making, hockey IQ, positional, etc issues. In Philly, it does seem he's been able to improve defensively, but his offence has also significantly dried up. I haven't followed Philly closely, but I'd imagine the messaging from the coaching staff to Risto is to try to keep things as simple as possible, reduce the decisions he has to make, and let him rely on those "tools" he has. Not sure if anyone has any thoughts specifically on how he's played in Philly under Torts, vs the historical player (who we obviously wouldn't want).

So if that's what the trade offer was - I'd be trying to figure out if we think he can play a top 4 role on a contender, and also comparing it to what you could likely get in free agency for ~2.5M over multiple years.
Hard Pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad