Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
The Rangers may be one, as well as Vegas or LA.

But you could also find a 3rd team to make a deal with.
I'd imagine there will be a number of teams interested in Nylander.

But futures is all they will be offering (and probably less than some folks think based on comparable trades recently). And I don't think that does much for the Leafs

I would put Seattle at the top of the interested list. They are not doing great right now but I feel like that's a team that would jump over a Nylander acquisition if possible. All depends on Nylanders 10 team NTC.

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
I would put Seattle at the top of the interested list. They are not doing great right now but I feel like that's a team that would jump over a Nylander acquisition if possible. All depends on Nylanders 10 team NTC.
Shane Wright please and thank you

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Also depends on Tre and Shannys willingness to move him, which I doubt is particularly strong at the moment.

They seem adamant about re-signing him. I think it happens one way or another. Like you said earlier, I just hope they get it done soon so we can move on.

We might be down on the Leafs playoff hopes to win and contend, but they probably don't feel the same.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Also depends on Tre and Shannys willingness to move him, which I doubt is particularly strong at the moment.
he says no :laugh: Tre prolly more now leaning towards it too.

I honestly hope we re-sign him tbh, he's legit the Kessel of this iteration of leafs. Lightning rod for all the criticism when he's not producing.

They seem adamant about re-signing him. I think it happens one way or another. Like you said earlier, I just hope they get it done soon so we can move on.

We might be down on the Leafs playoff hopes to win and contend, but they probably don't feel the same.
till then...

Reactions: Menzinger

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
That's because of the structure of the team. Too much money upfront.

If you look at TB, Vegas, or Col, their bluelines (or even forward depth) were quite a bit superior. So, how can you rebalance the team? It might take a move that kind of stings at first.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
I'd imagine there will be a number of teams interested in Nylander.

But futures is all they will be offering (and probably less than some folks think based on comparable trades recently). And I don't think that does much for the Leafs

Leafs could in theory move Nylander for assets (let's say... 1st and top prospect) and then use that 1st and Top Prospect to land another player for their roster. Think they need to be a little outside the box here with their moves if they can't sign him.

Leafs move Nylander to Team X for said package and then move 1st and Top Prospect to Calgary for Hanifin (just using a name that's out there).

Reactions: SprDaVE

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Leafs could in theory move Nylander for assets (let's say... 1st and top prospect) and then use that 1st and Top Prospect to land another player for their roster. Think they need to be a little outside the box here with their moves if they can't sign him.

Leafs move Nylander to Team X for said package and then move 1st and Top Prospect to Calgary for Hanifin (just using a name that's out there).
I don't mind the idea of moving Nylander to keep TOR competitive for the future. It seems that ship has sailed though. His trade value peaked earlier.

The assets and prospects seem on the low side, so Shanny/BT really should think twice about bolstering for a cup run this year.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
I don't mind the idea of moving Nylander to keep TOR competitive for the future. It seems that ship has sailed though. His trade value peaked earlier.

The assets and prospects seem on the low side, so Shanny/BT really should think twice about bolstering for a cup run this year.

Leafs just signed Matthews. They are going to try to remain competitive for as long as he is around I would guess. I'm just offering an alternative to simply letting Nylander walk or getting assets that.may never materialize.

Reactions: kb and arso40

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
In his article today, Luke Fox mentioned both Alex Wennberg and Will Borgen as potential targets from Seattle.

I would be partial to both of them. Wennberg gives us another legit center option, one is solid defensively and has a lot more experience there than Domi does, which would give us a lot more options for our forward group. We could potentially position Domi as more of an offensive weapon who jumps around a bit as we need offence, and Wennberg would solidify the 3C hole.

Borgen is a large RHD, who is good on the penalty kill, takes the body, and can move the puck somewhat. He is not incredible, but a solid player whom I would have no qualms playing in the playoffs, and he is still only 26 and signed for this year and next at 2.75.

Wennberg is a UFA this summer making 4.5, so if Seattle retained 50% of him, he would be 2.25. 50% retention on Borgen as well and we could bring them both in for around 3.7 million, which is cheap considering what they bring.

Also, the cost of acquiring them should not be too prohibitive.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
In his article today, Luke Fox mentioned both Alex Wennberg and Will Borgen as potential targets from Seattle.

I would be partial to both of them. Wennberg gives us another legit center option, one is solid defensively and has a lot more experience there than Domi does, which would give us a lot more options for our forward group. We could potentially position Domi as more of an offensive weapon who jumps around a bit as we need offence, and Wennberg would solidify the 3C hole.

Borgen is a large RHD, who is good on the penalty kill, takes the body, and can move the puck somewhat. He is not incredible, but a solid player whom I would have no qualms playing in the playoffs, and he is still only 26 and signed for this year and next at 2.75.

Wennberg is a UFA this summer making 4.5, so if Seattle retained 50% of him, he would be 2.25. 50% retention on Borgen as well and we could bring them both in for around 3.7 million, which is cheap considering what they bring.

Borgen will cost a fair price if he is available and if francis is sleeping on him

If borgen was availble the lineup would start - he could net a first in a deal

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Borgen is OK. Not sure he's the defensive quality we should be aiming for when we're healthy. Looking at his TOI, he really doesn't PK a whole lot and isn't exactly doing well in his minutes. He's never played above 17 minutes or consistent top 4 minutes as far as I can see. I do like he's signed into next year and he'd be a better option than a lot of rumoured players available.

Wennberg would be alright. Definitely would add a capable center but even at 2.25M, it's not exactly fantastic value. But I agree that it would be smart to grab him for depth and moving Domi into an easier position.

Last edited:
Reactions: Skullz and arso40

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Borgen is OK. Not sure he's the defensive quality we should be aiming for when we're healthy. Looking at his TOI, he really doesn't PK a whole lot and isn't exactly doing well in his minutes. He's never played above 17 minutes or consistent top 4 minutes as far as I can see. I do like he's signed into next year and he'd be a better option than a lot of rumoured players available.

Wennberg would be alright. Definitely would add a capable center but even at 2.25M, it's not exactly fantastic value. But I agree that it would be smart to grab him for depth and moving Domi into an easier position.

Wennberg wouldn't be a bad option

At the very least he's defensively responsible so we could take defensive minutes off the top 6 and load them onto him and Kampf instead

I remember him having some chemistry with Nylander in international play as well so maybe he could be useful if we get a center injury or decide to try loading up 3 separate lines

I've seen worse ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad