Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Liam Foudy seems like a good reclamation project. Local guy, can play center.

I'd take a stab at him for sure. Once Jones is sent back down the Leafs will be at 22 players and plenty of cap space for the time being. I just don't know how he gets into the Leafs lineup with McMann already not playing because of Reaves and his 5 minutes.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
I'd take a stab at him for sure. Once Jones is sent back down the Leafs will be at 22 players and plenty of cap space for the time being. I just don't know how he gets into the Leafs lineup.
Good rotation option on the 4th line;

Gregor - Kampf - Foudy
Lots of speed on the wings.

Reactions: ToneDog

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I just know that Tanev, at his age and high level of injury history, is not an answer to our D man problems.

As a retired minor league coach, I don't have many contacts at the NHL level, so I don't have intimate knowledge of under 30 year old D-men that might be available. It's up to Treliving, and our pro-scout team, to come up with better alternatives than a 33 year old injury riddled Tanev.

Treliving sure dropped the ball when he signed Klingberg. Our medical team must have been on vacation because there is no way that Klingberg should have passed his medical before being signed.

Trading for Tanev, using our precious prospect assets, is a risky proposition IMHO. Signing him as a free agent is the way to go if you want to risk nothing but dollars.

We need D-men now, so targeting 21-30 year D-men is the way to go. They need to scour the NHL and AHL to find some trade targets to improve our D-men situation.

JMHO.
what happened to Philipe Myers? big physical D man playing in the minors, would come cheap.......

If Peeke can't play for last place CBJ, he is good enough to play on our top pair?
this is what you need to do when your up against the cap, panning for gold in a dry river bed.......

Reactions: ToneDog

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019

Foudy is basically Gregor before he understood how to be a productive bottom 6 winger for the Leafs.
He has speed and can penalty kill but has not progressed in other areas of his game.

If you have Kampf as your 4C, then Foudy and Gregor on the wings probably works. I would rather move Kampf, but while he is here, may as well try to make him look like a productive piece and not a negative. Otherwise a year from now, you will not be able to trade him.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Rielly - Tanev
Brodie - Ristolainen
McCabe - Liljegren
ex. Giordano

That D could win a cup and has the necessary components.

Ristolainen between (2.5-3.5M) for 4 years at age 29 is a solid contract for his abilities. Tanev likely re-signs, hard to say how low of a number he would take.

Last edited:

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Ristolainen... has 5 ok games with Philly this year, after years of being this guy....

""

and note... after not a terrible, but still bad season resulting in that crap WAR, this was who he was previously.

""

Cheaper, lower cap hit... more blocked shots, more hits... can actually play defense...

""

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I don't know what Mirtle is like as a source, but he is saying that Chris Tanev is an 80% likely/certainty.

I am paraphrasing, but he said it this morning on the JD Bunkis show (Fan 590).

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I don't know what Mirtle is like as a source, but he is saying that Chris Tanev is an 80% likely/certainty.

I am paraphrasing, but he said it this morning on the JD Bunkis show (Fan 590).

Everyone is saying that. He fits all the checkmarks and there's a connection with the GM. I don't think you need to be an insider to say that.

Mirtle is pretty well connected with the team though. He doesn't put out much "insider" info however.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I read this initially as beer and got really excited….

Can’t start now since I’m still on the clock but Leafs and Steelers on tonight???? Hello beer o’clock!!!

Of course, both teams drive me to drink more often than not….
They kill me.

I sent a reminder to my daughter away at school that both games are on tonight, her reply
"what a good day for cool people" :laugh:

Last edited:

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Flyers fans think Ristolainen has been good defensively last year and this year in reduced minutes. He is playing a less offensive, less physical style and he has been rewarded defensively.

We were just in on Schenn (2.75M for 3 years) and Gudas (4M for 3 years), both in their mid-30's. If they can lock in Risto at 29 at a good rate between those numbers for 4 years that really isn't that bad. Is Ristolainen with a game more geared towards defending rather than being aggressive offensively and physically really a worse player than a mid-30's Schenn or Gudas?

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Ristolainen... has 5 ok games with Philly this year, after years of being this guy....

""

and note... after not a terrible, but still bad season resulting in that crap WAR, this was who he was previously.

""

Cheaper, lower cap hit... more blocked shots, more hits... can actually play defense...

""

He's also now being deployed differently so that will influence defensive #'s.

Look at his defensive zone start % but moreso the crazy difference in on the fly start % compared to before.

Screenshot (1210).png

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
I wonder if there could be a path to make him play a few Marlies games on a PTO and once he's back up to speed, give him a NHL contract. This would avoid any waiver issues.

He could be an interesting replacement for Klingberg on the bottom pairing. He did pretty well on the Canes and Canucks in that role. But that doesn't solve the issue that we probably could use an upgrade in the top 4.
Agree with you on that. Has to be the signing of Bear to solidify our bottom pairing and then add via a trade or some movement.

Ideally tbh, even more so than Tanev I know people linking us to... I would want someone like Fabbro(watched him from BCHL not surprised he's doing well and I think he has more to give), and Matt Roy (a pipe dream IMO, dont think they'll part with him but I feel like he'd be excellent with Rielly).

Reactions: hockeywiz542
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad