Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Risto is easily the lowest IQ defenseman in the league, he’s a broke man’s Nurse.

He was hyped for a long time because other than hockey IQ, he sounds fantastic on paper.

Big 6'4 defenceman who is physical, blocks a ton of shots, skates reasonably well, has a big shot himself, and some puck skills? The tools are all there, but awful decision making just skewers his effectiveness and largely makes him a liability.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Interesting UFA Ds this summer:
noah hanafin
nikita zadorov
matt roy
brett pesce
sean walker
matt dumba
brady skeji
nick seeler
dylan demelo
Brenden Dillon
Chris Tanev

Only the first 3 are under 30 though.

More than half of this list will be re-signed or traded (and signed) by July 1st.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

horner

May 22, 2007
More than half of this list will be re-signed or traded (and signed) by July 1st.
I dont think Carolina will trade Skeji 7 mil or Pesce 6.5 mil and I don't think they will sign both.
We need to be ready to jump on one of them .

Sign Tanev

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I dont think Carolina will trade Skeji 7 mil or Pesce 6.5 mil and I don't think they will sign both.
We need to be ready to jump on one of them .

Sign Tanev
Our Leafs need to go for younger and healthier versions of Tanev. JMHO.

Reactions: rumman

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Like? How about some names, of people who might be available.
With Buffalo struggling, I highly doubt but wonder if Samuelsson could potentially be available for the right deal?

Pettersson from Pittsburgh, again if available, is another solid option.

Nashville I'm sure would be opening to listening to guys like Fabbro and/or Louzon.

You have Peeke who is clearly available.

Murphy from Chicago.

Reactions: Fogelhund

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Slim pickins on the pending UFA defenseman front. Do you go for Labushkin with 50% retained? He’s not having a great season.

Tanev? Calgary will want to bend Treeliving over a stump.

Risto is gritty but a pretty crappy D man

Probably will wait to get Lil and Gio back and see what we have in Timmins and depth guys like Benoit and lags.

Reactions: Al14

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
With Buffalo struggling, I highly doubt but wonder if Samuelsson could potentially be available for the right deal?

Pettersson from Pittsburgh, again if available, is another solid option.

Nashville I'm sure would be opening to listening to guys like Fabbro and/or Louzon.

You have Peeke who is clearly available.

Murphy from Chicago.

I would think that building teams, would want to keep most of their younger guys... so I don't think Samuelsson would be available... and the right deal means a substantial upgrade for them in other places... and we just don't have those pieces, unless you are talking about moving one of the core 4.

I liked Connor Murphy, and thought he would who might be looking at last year, when we obtained McCabe instead... but keep in mind he's 30.

Louzon is interesting, but I wouldn't pay much for a guy who likely isn't ever more than a third pairing.

I believe Peeke has more upside on this, and likely is cheap... and I've been quite vocal in believing that could be the right move.

Slim pickins on the pending UFA defenseman front. Do you go for Labushkin with 50% retained? He’s not having a great season.

Tanev? Calgary will want to bend Treeliving over a stump.

Risto is gritty but a pretty crappy D man

Probably will wait to get Lil and Gio back and see what we have in Timmins and depth guys like Benoit and lags.
Not really a fan of Lyubushkin at this point... I think Peeke is cheaper acquisition, and more upside.

Tanev, if they want Treliving to over pay... that's not going to work.

Risto sucks.

Otherwise, we might have to wait until teams declare their season is over, and see who is available from there. As is normal for this time of year, there isn't a lot of quality available.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Like? How about some names, of people who might be available.
I just know that Tanev, at his age and high level of injury history, is not an answer to our D man problems.

As a retired minor league coach, I don't have many contacts at the NHL level, so I don't have intimate knowledge of under 30 year old D-men that might be available. It's up to Treliving, and our pro-scout team, to come up with better alternatives than a 33 year old injury riddled Tanev.

Treliving sure dropped the ball when he signed Klingberg. Our medical team must have been on vacation because there is no way that Klingberg should have passed his medical before being signed.

Trading for Tanev, using our precious prospect assets, is a risky proposition IMHO. Signing him as a free agent is the way to go if you want to risk nothing but dollars.

We need D-men now, so targeting 21-30 year D-men is the way to go. They need to scour the NHL and AHL to find some trade targets to improve our D-men situation.

JMHO.

Reactions: rumman and ToneDog

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I just know that Tanev, at his age and high level of injury history, is not an answer to our D man problems.

As a retired minor league coach, I don't have many contacts at the NHL level, so I don't have intimate knowledge of under 30 year old D-men that might be available. It's up to Treliving, and our pro-scout team, to come up with better alternatives than a 33 year old injury riddled Tanev.

Treliving sure dropped the ball when he signed Klingberg. Our medical team must have been on vacation because there is no way that Klingberg should have passed his medical before being signed.

Trading for Tanev, using our precious prospect assets, is a risky proposition IMHO. Signing him as a free agent is the way to go if you want to risk nothing but dollars.

We need D-men now, so targeting 21-30 year D-men is the way to go. They need to scour the NHL and AHL to find some trade targets to improve our D-men situation.

JMHO.

Like any other move... the cost to do so is as critical as the target. I have nothing against obtaining a Tanev, but it depends on what the cost is. By the sounds of the rumours, they want Treliving to overpay, so that's a no from me, as it is from you.

I'm in agreement with you, in obtaining younger players, who we can keep for a decade, instead of 3 years... However, the media, and much of the fan base are enamoured with brand names. I think our focus should be identifying the type of player who will become that brand name in the future. It's cheaper in cost, it's cheaper in Cap. Paying premiums for players who have been ggod for years, is not likely the key to success. Finding D versions of Hyman, Bunting... that's where we will find success.

Reactions: Al14

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I would think that building teams, would want to keep most of their younger guys... so I don't think Samuelsson would be available... and the right deal means a substantial upgrade for them in other places... and we just don't have those pieces, unless you are talking about moving one of the core 4.

I liked Connor Murphy, and thought he would who might be looking at last year, when we obtained McCabe instead... but keep in mind he's 30.

Louzon is interesting, but I wouldn't pay much for a guy who likely isn't ever more than a third pairing.

I believe Peeke has more upside on this, and likely is cheap... and I've been quite vocal in believing that could be the right move.

Not really a fan of Lyubushkin at this point... I think Peeke is cheaper acquisition, and more upside.

Tanev, if they want Treliving to over pay... that's not going to work.

Risto sucks.

Otherwise, we might have to wait until teams declare their season is over, and see who is available from there. As is normal for this time of year, there isn't a lot of quality available.
Peeke does seem like the one that makes the most sense. Wouldn’t cost much to acquire and now with the added cap space, we technically wouldn’t need Columbus to retain any salary.

The only question is, is Peeke worth the 2.75 for the next two seasons?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Peeke does seem like the one that makes the most sense. Wouldn’t cost much to acquire and now with the added cap space, we technically wouldn’t need Columbus to retain any salary.

The only question is, is Peeke worth the 2.75 for the next two seasons?

Everything depends on cost... I'd love to see Peeke retained, only because it gives us more room to further upgrade higher up the chain, just in case we find a way to do that.

Reactions: TMLAM34

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Everything depends on cost... I'd love to see Peeke retained, only because it gives us more room to further upgrade higher up the chain, just in case we find a way to do that.
Columbus probably has no interest retaining any salary for another two seasons. If Peeke was in his final year, that would be a different story.

Reactions: Buds17

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Columbus probably has no interest retaining any salary for another two seasons. If Peeke was in his final year, that would be a different story.

Maybe, maybe not... it depends on their desire to move on from him, and the degree of interest from other teams. Keep in mind, there are other teams out there, who could take a portion of the cap hit.. as has happened before... again, depends on cost.

Reactions: TMLAM34

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Don't know yet. If they do make that move they better be quite confident that he'll play in the top 4
If they acquire Peeke, I think the intention would be to slot him next to Rielly into a similar role like Schenn played last season.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
If Peeke can't play for last place CBJ, he is good enough to play on our top pair?

Which is the problem right? When you only desire established brand names, you end up with high cap hits, and high acquisition costs.

Beyond this observation that he hasn't played much recently, have you actually watched this player over the past few years, or know anything about him?

Bunting was a 25 year old forward we obtained from Arizona, one of the worst teams in the league, and he barely got in the lineup.. only 21 games, and the rest he got sent back to the AHL. Clearly he wasn't good enough for one of the poorer teams in the league right? I mean, he probably would be useless for us, right?

Next topic, will be complaints about how we let go of Marchment, Verhaeghe, Moore… who weren’t good enough at the time.

Last edited:

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
If they acquire Peeke, I think the intention would be to slot him next to Rielly into a similar role like Schenn played last season.
Yes, whether he can handle that role is the big ?

There's some evidence to suggest that he may, but if he can't you've got another Kampf-like contract on the defence,

Reactions: Buds17
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad