Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Happy to hear Treliving isn't going to overpay for shorterm help. Trading another 1st for a rental when we have so many holes is robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
If Calgary is being stupid, do you just do a 5th for Peeke and call it a day?
I feel as though that shoe might have dropped by now if this was the extent of it. Mind you, Peeke not being in the lineup can't be doing anything good for his trade value.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
He just sucks. Don't bother to justify it. Please. No. He isn't mean either. Signed until 2027. They'd have to pay me a 1st round pick and 50% retention.

I'd want more, he's ******* atrocious
I'd sack anybody that mentioned his name if I was an owner

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I'd want more, he's ******* atrocious
I'd sack anybody that mentioned his name if I was an owner
If only the owners cared that much to know who was bad.

It would be funny, though if they got him. I was reading on the trade board Tre has had interest in him before,

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
If you subtracted Knies, Cowan and Minten it’s pretty close to scorched earth. So unless you’re getting a home run star defenseman it’s not really worth it to peddle your future like that. The more we keep these guys and develop them the longer the Big 3 runway. (Matthews, Marner, Nylander). You need a homegrown bridge to 2030.

Yep. Prospects much more valuable than picks right now. Especially guys able to contribute in next 1-3 seasons on cheap deals.

I'm less concerned about the state of the prospect pool in 2028 right now

Reactions: Dragao6

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
Unpopular opinion but I would try and trade Nylander for a nice package. Our team isn't built to go all the way so we might as well get what we can for Willy and use that money for some D in the off season.

Pesce plus Tanev in free agency or something similar and we automatically become a better team.

Resign Bertuzzi 4.5 per year
Resign Domi 2.75 per year
Trade for Boone Jenner to become our 3C and potentially 2C when JT hits free agency.

Jacquestrapless

Jun 5, 2011
Mississauga
Let UFA forwards walk -> have Leafs prospects take prominent roles (knies, cowan, minten, robertson)
Sign cheap back-up for Woll (wedgewood, talbot, etc) around $1M
Let Brodie Walk
Liljegren gets about $3.5M x 4
Sign Nylander around $9.5M

After that, B.T should have around $13-14M, assuming the cap increase to $87M

If Domi would take a Nick Paul contract, he might stay.

Reactions: arso40

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Unpopular opinion but I would try and trade Nylander for a nice package. Our team isn't built to go all the way so we might as well get what we can for Willy and use that money for some D in the off season.

Pesce plus Tanev in free agency or something similar and we automatically become a better team.

Resign Bertuzzi 4.5 per year
Resign Domi 2.75 per year
Trade for Boone Jenner to become our 3C and potentially 2C when JT hits free agency.
I agree about signing Pesce and Tanev in the offseason, but why would we trade Nylander so we can keep Domi and Bertuzzi. If we lose or trade Willy I'd want to replace his salary with Reinhart or Lindholm, or maybe even Stamkos on short term. The 4+ million bump in cap really helps us.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Let UFA forwards walk -> have Leafs prospects take prominent roles (knies, cowan, minten, robertson)
Sign cheap back-up for Woll (wedgewood, talbot, etc) around $1M
Let Brodie Walk
Liljegren gets about $3.5M x 4
Sign Nylander around $9.5M

After that, B.T should have around $13-14M, assuming the cap increase to $87M

If Domi would take a Nick Paul contract, he might stay.
Lilijgren shouldn't get more than 2M

He is still a bottom pairing D, and will miss a lot of time this year

Should get 2-3 years 2.25M tops or be dealt if a trade makes sense

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
22 minutes last night…..
While true, I believe that is still just five appearances out of 27 games in total thus far for him this season. That number will likely have to further increase if he's the surplus d-man that CBJ is looking to peddle.

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
While true, I believe that is still just five appearances out of 27 games in total thus far for him this season. That number will likely have to further increase if he's the surplus d-man that CBJ is looking to peddle.
Peeke got in the lineup because Gudbranson(day to day) went down with injury. Severson was already out for 6 weeks.
He may be able to get some continued playing time because now Boqvist is out for 4 weeks.

Reactions: Buds17

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Peeke got in the lineup because Gudbranson(day to day) went down with injury. Severson was already out for 6 weeks.
He may be able to get some continued playing time because now Boqvist is out for 4 weeks.
I think we need to get him before he starts really improving his trade value

mkatcherin00

Apr 2, 2023
Calgary and Toronto considered a complicated deal for both Chris Tanev and Nikita Zadorov, which collapsed when the two sides could not agree on what the Maple Leafs would have to pay for salary retention. In addition to what Toronto needed to include to acquire the defenders themselves, there would be additional compensation to get Calgary to eat cash. Assuming the Flames keeping 50 per cent on both, the total would be around $3.1M. That’s significant. (When I went into sports media, I was told there would be no math.)

From what I understand, Calgary drew a hard line on what it would take — as is the Flames’ right — and the Maple Leafs weren’t willing to go there.

Bourne asked Treliving about rumours the Flames don’t want to trade with their ex-GM, which Treliving pooh-poohed.

“I have a great relationship with the people in Calgary. They are not unlike any other team that you deal with,” Treliving replied, in the sense that they are trying to make the best deal for themselves.'

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I really think this year might just be one of those years where BT won’t make any rentals trade and keep their own picks. As the team is really not one or two players(not Makar, Fox, Pietra, Vas, McD…) away from being able to beat Bruins, Panthers not to mention Avs and Vegas.

Jacquestrapless

Jun 5, 2011
Mississauga
I really think this year might just be one of those years where BT won’t make any rentals trade and keep their own picks. As the team is really not one or two players(not Makar, Fox, Pietra, Vas, McD…) away from being able to beat Bruins, Panthers not to mention Avs and Vegas.
I really don't think he should. Perhaps, a mid-round pick for a luke schenn - like is the most I'd expect.

Although, a potential Tanev + Zadorov trade just fell through, so who knows.

Jacquestrapless

Jun 5, 2011
Mississauga
Interesting UFA Ds this summer:
noah hanafin
nikita zadorov
matt roy
brett pesce
sean walker
matt dumba
brady skeji
nick seeler
dylan demelo
Brenden Dillon
Chris Tanev

Only the first 3 are under 30 though.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Calgary and Toronto considered a complicated deal for both Chris Tanev and Nikita Zadorov, which collapsed when the two sides could not agree on what the Maple Leafs would have to pay for salary retention. In addition to what Toronto needed to include to acquire the defenders themselves, there would be additional compensation to get Calgary to eat cash. Assuming the Flames keeping 50 per cent on both, the total would be around $3.1M. That’s significant. (When I went into sports media, I was told there would be no math.)

From what I understand, Calgary drew a hard line on what it would take — as is the Flames’ right — and the Maple Leafs weren’t willing to go there.

Bourne asked Treliving about rumours the Flames don’t want to trade with their ex-GM, which Treliving pooh-poohed.

“I have a great relationship with the people in Calgary. They are not unlike any other team that you deal with,” Treliving replied, in the sense that they are trying to make the best deal for themselves.'

So ultimately they are looking to get 2 top 6 D

Reilly. Brodie
Xxxx. Xxxxx
McCabe Lilly
Gio.

I would like that and am happy with Gio rotating in. But that could also mean Lilly is gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad