Trades & Free Agency Thread: 2024-2025 Season Edition

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
The draft was the perfect time for a trade

The Lily contract is probably the most short-sighted move we've seen by this current front office yet. 100% avoidable and a missed opportunity to spend that money better in free agency
Unless he is moved for space and a pick or two.

Have to agree on this one..

You don't trade a somewhat-stalled mid-20s project in August or at the beginning of the season. It's far too difficult to find a "hockey trade" because teams can't build their offseasons around that trade.

The time to move Liljegren is at the draft, so that the Leafs can go in knowing what they need to spend on the blueline, and another team can go into offseason knowing they have Lily.

That being said, my personal suspicion as to what happened -- the Leafs had a deal lined up for Liljegren, and figured to make it more palatable they'd eat a chunk of bonus money. Their intent was to sign both Chris Tanev AND Matt Roy.

Roy went to Washington, which left the Leafs with Liljegren + $3.5m of cap space that they figured to spend on OEL, and then with Hakanpaa's injury status, they figured "what's the point in moving him now??".

Interesting. Maybe he was going to be reunited in Washington with Sandin, until the Caps won the Roy derby.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Might be interesting to see what a Lilly/Woll/Robbie package get us?

7 million(ish) in salary.
Fantilli+Provorov would be sweet. I’d swap Robertson for Minten, gives them a C back. I think Robertson is a good fit under Berube and found some chemistry. They can take Jarnkrok and Kampf too. Why? I was surprised to see Fantilli on PP2 in their opener. Doubt they move him but would be nice.

IN:
Adam Fantilli
Ivan Provorov (UFA)

OUT:
Joseph Woll
Timothy Liljegren
Fraser Minten
Calle Jarnkrok (can be moved elsewhere)
David Kampf (can be moved elsewhere)

Domi-Matthews-Marner
Knies-Fantilli-Nylander
Robertson-Tavares-Pacioretty
Lorentz-Holmberg-McMann
/Reaves

Rielly-Tanev
OEL-McCabe
Provorov-Hakanpaa
/Timmins

Stolarz
Hildeby

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Fantilli+Provorov would be sweet. I’d swap Robertson for Minten, gives them a C back. I think Robertson is a good fit under Berube and found some chemistry. They can take Jarnkrok and Kampf too. Why? I was surprised to see Fantilli on PP2 in their opener. Doubt they move him but would be nice.

IN:
Adam Fantilli
Ivan Provorov (UFA)

OUT:
Joseph Woll
Timothy Liljegren
Fraser Minten
Calle Jarnkrok (can be moved elsewhere)
David Kampf (can be moved elsewhere)

Domi-Matthews-Marner
Knies-Fantilli-Nylander
Robertson-Tavares-Pacioretty
Lorentz-Holmberg-McMann
/Reaves

Rielly-Tanev
OEL-McCabe
Provorov-Hakanpaa
/Timmins

Stolarz
Hildeby

Never say never but there's no way in hell Columbus is trading Fantilli, to anyone and Provorov is a pending UFA

I think we should keep Woll, goaltending depth is always useful
Try to move Liljegren, which won't be easy but maybe we can dump him in a trade around the TDL, he needs to play though for that to happen
I'd keep Minten as well
Jarnkrok and Kampf I don't really care about either way

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad