Speculation: Trade Speculation Part V

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
I never understand this argument. First reason is because we'd want him for the playoffs this year, and GMs never have the luxury of waiting until next year like fans do. Second reason is because then you don't have to bid against everyone else in UFA. He'll already be your player so you'll have somewhat of an inside track if he likes your team, and like Lou did with Kovy, you'll be able to see if he is a fit before throwing big money at him.

I rather overpay for a player in the off-season than make a trade for a player. It would take a ton of assets to get Vanek for this year and we will only have him for 1 season. And Buffalo is going to make the playoffs this year so there is zero chance they trade him.

I won't be surprised if Lou trades Tallinder back to Buffalo for a draft pick.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Nobody can tell when Pegula's patience will run out. But I'm pretty well convinced that Ruff's firing wasn't all Darcy's choice. He has to be feeling the heat now.

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
Not trying to argue that Buffalo should blow it up, but they invested a lot into players who have yet to play well together.

Tanking/selling the farm isn't the way to go - but a shakeup would be the best thing for them. Probably best to wait until a permanent coach steps in, though.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
I rather overpay for a player in the off-season than make a trade for a player. It would take a ton of assets to get Vanek for this year and we will only have him for 1 season. And Buffalo is going to make the playoffs this year so there is zero chance they trade him.

I won't be surprised if Lou trades Tallinder back to Buffalo for a draft pick.

I'm not saying they will trade him, I'm saying you shouldn't rule out trying to trade for him if he was available. Using your logic, Lou would never have traded for Kovy.

It wouldn't shock me if Tallinder is sent back there either, but I would prefer (and I think Lou would prefer) at least a prospect or roster player in return, instead of a pick.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
If Buffalo is going to make major changes they'll do it in the offseason. There's really no reason for them to do anything drastic now, unless somebody offers up something ridiculous.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
I'm not saying they will trade him, I'm saying you shouldn't rule out trying to trade for him if he was available. Using your logic, Lou would never have traded for Kovy.

It wouldn't shock me if Tallinder is sent back there either, but I would prefer (and I think Lou would prefer) at least a prospect or roster player in return, instead of a pick.

In hindsight we should have kept those assets and just signed Kovy in the off season.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Why give up a lot of assets when you can just sign him after the next season? Plus Buffalo is going to make the playoffs.

I rather give up a couple prospects to get Jagr to help us this year and sign Semin in the off-season.

I said it already, Jagr is a 2 months rental player at best, I would take him but only for peanuts. OTOH Vanek could still have a (promising) future with NJ after this season at least. But he still remains a pipe dream, like Semin. We were talking about these playoffs nonetheless, Semin won't be available, Buf and Dallas are sellers, so either Jagr or Vanek fits more in the discussion.

Lou will wait and see anyway.

Rob Nieds work ethic

Swarm it up Devils!
Aug 17, 2007
By the way, I'd absolutely be fine with looking to deal Josefson with the presence of Loktionov now, but I think he has extremely diminished value from where he was a year and half or two ago. He'd be a secondary piece in any deal.

If there's one thing Lou needs to step in on Conte for, it's to stop him from drafting any more Swedish forwards or at least stop listening to any of Dan Labraaten's recommendations.

So because Loktionov has outplayed Josefson for a spot on the team, we should deactivate our scouting operations in Sweden? Good call.

Traitor Zach

Released from Glory
Jan 29, 2012
Northeast

Tallinder isn't worth that, at least not anything of immediate value (in terms of a roster player or prospect you are not gonna get much). We'd be lucky to get a 3rd for him. He's a 34 yr old defensemen who has missed big chunks of the last two seasons due to injuries and being healthy-scratched a bunch. And I like Tally, but we have to be realistic.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
I said it already, Jagr is a 2 months rental player at best, I would take him but only for peanuts. OTOH Vanek could still have a (promising) future with NJ after this season at least. But he still remains a pipe dream, like Semin. We were talking about these playoffs nonetheless, Semin won't be available, Buf and Dallas are sellers, so either Jagr or Vanek fits more in the discussion.

Lou will wait and see anyway.

Carolina has to go on a significant losing streak for them to trade Semin. I sure hope Lou signs him in the offseason though. Not sure why it is a pipe dream as the Canadian media seems to think Semin is a terrible player to have on your team.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Buffalo needs a lot of cap flexibility, one of their big names is going to get moved sooner or later. Vanek is a pipe dream though, I repeat.

Traitor Zach

Released from Glory
Jan 29, 2012
Northeast
So because Loktionov has outplayed Josefson for a spot on the team, we should deactivate our scouting operations in Sweden? Good call.

We should hire you instead.

Outplayed? No, it's not even been that hard for Loktionov. Not when Josefson can't stay healthy for more than five seconds and has yet to develop any sort of scoring touch.

apice3*

Comparing one player's situation to another is dumb. They're two different people. Just because one is succeeding doesn't mean it's the other's last chance to produce. Some players bloom late.

Traitor Zach

Released from Glory
Jan 29, 2012
Northeast
Buffalo needs a lot of cap flexibility, one of their big names is going to get moved sooner or later. Vanek is a pipe dream though, I repeat.

Leino is probably going to be a compliance buyout this offseason which should help, although Pegula may hold that one against Regier when deciding whether to fire him.

Call me crazy, but I do wonder if they find a way to deal away Ryan Miller. I just don't see it. It's a tough market for goalies when the guy you are trying to trade is in his 30s, has a high cap hit, and you're asking for premium talent in return. Canucks found this out this past season.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
In hindsight we should have kept those assets and just signed Kovy in the off season.

Not really. Lou has said repeatedly that if Kovy wasn't already on the team and showing signs that he could transform into a Devils forward, he wouldn't have tried to sign him that summer. Trading for Kovy was necessary to understand that he was a team player and a hard worker, contrary to the conventional wisdom.

I'm sure Kovy feels the same way, until he came to the team and was taught how to play a team game by Lemaire, he probably wouldn't have considered the Devils to be a legitimate choice in UFA.

So in hindsight, the Devils did absolutely the right thing in order to get Kovy and keep Kovy. I don't think we'd have him now if Lou hadn't traded a package that (again, in hindsight) really wasn't all that steep.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Not trying to argue that Buffalo should blow it up, but they invested a lot into players who have yet to play well together.

Tanking/selling the farm isn't the way to go - but a shakeup would be the best thing for them. Probably best to wait until a permanent coach steps in, though.

They should blow it up. They should have blown it up 5 years ago.

Sell Hecht, Leopold, Regher, Kaleta, and Stafford at the deadline.

Fire Darcy the day after the season ends.

Dump Miller at the draft.

Maybe flip one of Vanek/Pommer if they get the right deal.

Build around Myers, Hodgson, Foligno, Armia, Grigorenko, and Sekera.

But of course none of that will happen.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
We should be expecting to see a few trades during the offseason with the cap going down. NJ with so much cap room and real money will be one of the few teams with the upper hand, Lotta sellers few buyers. Lou could steal someone.

Traitor Zach

Released from Glory
Jan 29, 2012
Northeast
Comparing one player's situation to another is dumb. They're two different people. Just because one is succeeding doesn't mean it's the other's last chance to produce. Some players bloom late.

It's not about situations, it is about the players. Time runs out eventually and there's only so many limited opportunities. Josefson will likely get another shot if he's still here for next season, but he's running out of time here at least. And even when he's played, I see a guy who is soft physically and lacks a scoring touch.

Traitor Zach

Released from Glory
Jan 29, 2012
Northeast
We should be expecting to see a few trades during the offseason with the cap going down. NJ with so much cap room and real money will be one of the few teams with the upper hand, Lotta sellers few buyers. Lou could steal someone.

Devils don't just have a lot of cap room this offseason although a lot depends on Elias/Zubrus/Clarkson, they could even have some more next offseason (Brodeur/Hedberg/Tallinder). They could have more too this year if they offload Tallinder early and don't re-sign Zidlicky.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
As much as I love him, it'd be a no brainer between a Clarkson or a Semin, if I had to choose only one FA.

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
I honestly think Semin remains with the Canes.
Semin seems to like his role there, Rutherford seems to be thrilled with having him.

The only wrench I can see being thrown in is if Semin asks for too much -- in that case, he probably wouldn't be on our radar anyway.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Not really. Lou has said repeatedly that if Kovy wasn't already on the team and showing signs that he could transform into a Devils forward, he wouldn't have tried to sign him that summer. Trading for Kovy was necessary to understand that he was a team player and a hard worker, contrary to the conventional wisdom.

I'm sure Kovy feels the same way, until he came to the team and was taught how to play a team game by Lemaire, he probably wouldn't have considered the Devils to be a legitimate choice in UFA.

So in hindsight, the Devils did absolutely the right thing in order to get Kovy and keep Kovy. I don't think we'd have him now if Lou hadn't traded a package that (again, in hindsight) really wasn't all that steep.

Lou needs to go if he believes in the Russian stereotypes. These are freaking NHL superstars. They are all hard working and team players. The Kings were the only other team to offer Kovy a contract and our contract was significantly higher.

apice3*

Why do we talk about Semin on the daily basis? He's not here and not coming here. Move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad