Speculation: Trade Speculation Part V

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
I don't think Jagr is going to go for much. Mid level prospect and a 2nd is my guess.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I don't think Jagr is going to go for much. Mid level prospect and a 2nd is my guess.

Dominic Moore went for 2's every year and he was a total one-dimensional player. Then again so is Jagr, but he's got name value going for him too.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Dominic Moore went for 2's every year and he was a total one-dimensional player. Then again so is Jagr, but he's got name value going for him too.

Jagr is 41 years old. He is having a great year, but he is a rental for a playoff run. I don't see a team giving up a 1st, but I do see a teams top 5-10 prospect and a 2nd.

apice3*

Well some people probably expect Merrill to be Mike Danton too, given some of his 'issues'.

I think Jagr would actually get more of a return than Morrow, which would make it even riskier to trade for him.

I doubt anyone who wants to move Merrill even knows who Mike Danton is.

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
It's also a little bit of top 6 winger desperation.
Especially now that Kovy is out for a while, I think many are just trying to hope that our top prospect (of a pretty shallow pool) can bring in something to fill those holes up top.

aboriginal

lou ****ing sucks
Mar 10, 2006
LV-426
none of these will happen, but i wish we could hornswaggle eriksson, vanek or pominville here. still think we should go after mps. they cant sign all those 1st rounders in oil land. gonna have to trim the fat there at some point.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Jagr is going to be a rental in its purest form. To give up a 2nd for 5 weeks of papa Jagr is a lot. I want to see how they react to the loss of one of their leaders firstly.

manilaNJ

Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
If Jagr's name is on the table at the deadline, you have to think that enough teams will be in home to drive up the price uncomfortably for anyone on the receiving end.

It'd have to be a trade done on the downlow to keep it fair, I think.

Dallas would have to be lacking a substantial amount of ****s to give if they don't flirt with a few teams to see how much they can inflate his value.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
If we have to go after top 6 guy, I'd prefer to pick someone with a future and that we could realistically re-sign. In short, a blockbuster move or nothing. Vanek is my current dream pipe.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Vanek would be so sweet. One of the few guys I'd move Merrill for. Merrill, 1st and a couple other prospects. Would have to be a lot but he'd be worth it. He's a better offensive player than parise and would essentially replace him.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
If we have to go after top 6 guy, I'd prefer to pick someone with a future and that we could realistically re-sign. In short, a blockbuster move or nothing. Vanek is my current dream pipe.

Why give up a lot of assets when you can just sign him after the next season? Plus Buffalo is going to make the playoffs.

I rather give up a couple prospects to get Jagr to help us this year and sign Semin in the off-season.

Traitor Zach

Released from Glory
Jan 29, 2012
Northeast
Big moves like Buffalo trading Vanek or Pominville to me are more likely to be offseason moves with better structure in place with a new GM and coach and deciding what to do in terms of players/retool/system, but that said, maybe a team blows the Sabres away into making the move. I like Abo's suggestion of MPS, but that again, may be more of an offseason investigation for us. Either way it is pretty obvious Lou and Vanderbeek are expected to improve the forwards this offseason. If they don't, I think fans will tune out and some will rage. They get a pass this year due to the Parise departure.

As far as Jagr, I have a hard time seeing him go for anything more than a 2nd. He is a playmaker and an asset on the PP, but he's an older player who is going to be subjected to the playoffs grind, and I'm not sure how he'll hold up. He was literally invisible at times in our series against Philly last year.

Devils should not be considering trading Merrill for anything short of a legitimate top forward who is NOT a rental. I'd deal Merrill in a package for Pominville/Vanek/Eriksson, but not a chance I'd do it for the Jagr/Morrow/Iginla types.

apice3*

Buffalo once matched a four 1st rounder offer sheet for Vanek. He's not being moved.

Traitor Zach

Released from Glory
Jan 29, 2012
Northeast
By the way, I'd absolutely be fine with looking to deal Josefson with the presence of Loktionov now, but I think he has extremely diminished value from where he was a year and half or two ago. He'd be a secondary piece in any deal.

If there's one thing Lou needs to step in on Conte for, it's to stop him from drafting any more Swedish forwards or at least stop listening to any of Dan Labraaten's recommendations.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Sooo about Jagr, it's not happening . If Morrow got that return its not happening

Definitely. The market is clearly inflated right now because nobody is selling.

Well some people probably expect Merrill to be Mike Danton too, given some of his 'issues'.

I think Ben Johnson has taken over the Danton comparisons now.

Why give up a lot of assets when you can just sign him after the next season? Plus Buffalo is going to make the playoffs.

I never understand this argument. First reason is because we'd want him for the playoffs this year, and GMs never have the luxury of waiting until next year like fans do. Second reason is because then you don't have to bid against everyone else in UFA. He'll already be your player so you'll have somewhat of an inside track if he likes your team, and like Lou did with Kovy, you'll be able to see if he is a fit before throwing big money at him.

Traitor Zach

Released from Glory
Jan 29, 2012
Northeast
Buffalo once matched a four 1st rounder offer sheet for Vanek. He's not being moved.

That was a long time ago in NHL years. He'll be moved if the Sabres decide it's best for them to do so. I doubt they will, but if the price is right, everybody can be moved.

manilaNJ

Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
Chances of Vanek moving are 0%.

Chances of Pominville moving are 2%.

As long as Darcy is still in charge, anyway.

Unless there's a massive turnover in management, I can see Buffalo becoming as painfully stubborn as Calgary.
When the pieces aren't fitting together, sometimes you need to sell off part of the core to help establish any form of future.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Unless there's a massive turnover in management, I can see Buffalo becoming as painfully stubborn as Calgary.
When the pieces aren't fitting together, sometimes you need to sell off part of the core to help establish any form of future.

Ehhh, we wouldn't stand for that argument and neither does Buffalo.

Traitor Zach

Released from Glory
Jan 29, 2012
Northeast

The guys in Buffalo aren't that old, but they should look at Calgary as a cautionary tale of where it might make sense to move some veterans. The Flames have been non-competitive almost four years in a row, and they'll be lucky if they get any pieces now. Only thing that might save them this year is Feaster trying to save his job selling ownership he can model a rebuild and taking advantage of a seller's market.

Actually the more I look at it, the situations aren't that comparable, but their are some similarities.

apice3*

That was a long time ago in NHL years. He'll be moved if the Sabres decide it's best for them to do so. I doubt they will, but if the price is right, everybody can be moved.

My point is that they value him more than his value as a player, and it's going to require stupid overpayment. Not worth it.

Getzo5

The Punisher
Feb 13, 2010
Presov, SVK
Buffalo has those young players like Ennis, Foligno, Hodgson, Adam, Girgensons, Grigorenko, McCabe and least but not last Myers. They just need to get smarter. Not gonna happen with Darcy in charge, but who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad