Speculation: Trade Speculation Part V

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I think it would help if the idea of luck as "some outside force controlling whether you do well or not" is suspended. For statistical purposes, luck is just the assertion that some players have skills that are simply not sustainable or repeatable.

Take a look at Brad Marchand and Jordan Eberle.

Brad Marchand is having a career year, and his current shooting percentage is 26%. No one is saying that he hasn't earned goals, that he SHOULDN'T be scoring that many, because he has and he's earned them all. The difference is that, to a certain point, you just can't expect him to continuously shoot that high. Whether it's a stretch of bad bounces, running into hot goalies, defensemen keying in on him more, or opposing coaches scouting the Bruins more heavily and finding out how to shut them down, he's simply not going to shoot at that level in perpetuity. Saying he's "been lucky" is not saying he's secretly a bad player, it's just saying that he's currently demonstrating a skill which has been proven in the past to be unsustainable (i.e. not repeatable).

The "shot quality patrol" was in full force on the main board last year defending Jordan Eberle's ridiculous shooting percentage. They said he wasn't going to come back down to earth because he simply doesn't take bad quality shots. Now he's on pace for 20 goals and 58 points in an 82 game season.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm still scratching my head to this day as to why Sykora wasn't brought back when we've claimed turds like Kostopoulos and Butler off of waivers. Sykora would've made about the same salary and we already know that he can pad the stat sheet in terms of goals, where as the two other options probably have more speed but can't score at the NHL level.

Losing Sykora and Parise only to replace them with AHL'ers while having a surplus of NHL caliber d-men is something I just don't understand. I'm not saying that it's easy to acquire solid forwards but when you're aware of the situation after the 2nd week of july, you don't wait until mid march to ****ing react.

Yeah pretty much this. I still don't see why Lou didn't re sign Sykora for cheap. He would have been good enough in this shortened season as he was good until the playoffs last year. Bottom line is this team was 15th in goals for last year despite having the most 30 and 20 goal scorers and even most 15 goal scorers in the league. Two of the 20 goal scorers are gone.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Maybe it was the right thing. We all sat here wondering why Lou didn't sign Poni. Well Poni has one goal and is now hurt.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
he's been on the top line instead of the 3rd where he belongs.

This and that just shows you the poor forward depth of this team. Matteau has been on the first line, Tedenby has been on the first line, Zubrus has been on the first line.

I don't even really like Zubrus on the top line, but looking back it may have been the best. I think I'd rather have Henrique on wing on the 1st line.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Lou said he didn't sign Sykora because we had a bunch of young players and he wanted to give them an opportunity.

He gambled on one of Teddy, Yayo, and Butler making an impact.

I think Lou expected Sykora to wait around and be available if none of them panned out, but he left for Europe. Another gamble he lost.

Then he gambled on Poni, a guy he wanted to keep and helped us last year.

Then Loki, because it was the perfect opportunity and a low-risk move. The only gamble that has paid off.

Kostopulous, whatever, we needed a warm body and the waiver wire has worked for us in the past (Carter).

Classic example of "throw **** on the wall and see what sticks," except none of it stuck and now we're left with a pile of **** on the floor that we need to clean up.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Lou said he didn't sign Sykora because we had a bunch of young players and he wanted to give them an opportunity.

He gambled on one of Teddy, Yayo, and Butler making an impact.

I think Lou expected Sykora to wait around and be available if none of them panned out, but he left for Europe. Another gamble he lost.

Then he gambled on Poni, a guy he wanted to keep and helped us last year.

Then Loki, because it was the perfect opportunity and a low-risk move. The only gamble that has paid off.

Kostopulous, whatever, we needed a warm body and the waiver wire has worked for us in the past (Carter).

Classic example of "throw **** on the wall and see what sticks," except none of it stuck and now we're left with a pile of **** on the floor that we need to clean up.

This analogy is ****ing rock solid... GREAT JOB :handclap:

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I had no faith in Tedenby at all. I'm surprised they sent him down after only 4 games though. Josefson I expected to be better, but not scoring at a 20 goal clip or anything. Butler I thought would be good, not at the pace he was in the NHL but good. More than 2 points in 15 games or whatever it was.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
To be honest though, this was probably the worst season for Lou to expect youngsters to play a part. Deboer was always under the impression that he didn't have a lot of time to get results in a shortened season, and he was never gonna wait around for rookies to ease their way into the game. Tedenby and Josefson were both sent down but both were injured before they could be called up when depth became an issue. Butler was waived when it seemed like there was no room for him and now we're playing the worst fourth line we've seen since the start of 2010.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
To be honest though, this was probably the worst season for Lou to expect youngsters to play a part. Deboer was always under the impression that he didn't have a lot of time to get results in a shortened season, and he was never gonna wait around for rookies to ease their way into the game. Tedenby and Josefson were both sent down but both were injured before they could be called up when depth became an issue. Butler was waived when it seemed like there was no room for him and now we're playing the worst fourth line we've seen since the start of 2010.
The reason we have to have 4th line like that is another reason that pisses me off. If we had the REAL 4th line like the one from the playoffs as a 4th line we'd be a lot deeper. Instead they insist on playing Barch almost every game who just brings no offense whatsoever.

I still can't get over the forward depth on this team, and I'm not surprised we've been averaging 2.07 goals in the last 13. Doesn't matter who the goalie is. Moose has sucked, but it's not like we're losing games 4-3 or 5-4. In fact he's been pretty good the last week before last night and we're losing 2-1. Last night was the first time he's given up more than 2 goals since Carolina. Moose averaged 1.75 GAA in the last 4 games before last night and we only won half of those games. That's pretty pathetic.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
I agree there's a difference, but both are true.

I still disagree about the last 3 or 4 last losses and I also think people holding him accountable for those losses are totally unfair with him. The lack of goals, lack of opportunism, of finish is the main reason why we didn't win those games and it's really obvious.

14 goals scored for the last 7 losses, Moose was playing poorly, I don't deny the fact that he couldn't steal a game for us, but what kind of f'ing support is this ? If the Moose stunk our offense has been hobo's vomit.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Like I said. Before last night Moose gave up 6 goals in the last 4 games. That's actually 1.50 GAA with a 926 save percentage I think it was. This team only went 500 in those four games with a loser point in another. That's extremely pathetic and shows how awful this team's forward corps was assembled.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I'm really disappointed with Tedenby. While a lot of his issues are his hockey iq on the d side, much of his poor performance stems from being weak. Why the **** didn't he hire a strength coach and bulk up over the last few off seasons? I he added 10-15 lbs of muscle over the last 2 year(which is entirely doable) he would be in such a better place now..just really grinds my gears that he's not doing everything he can to get better. Lou should make him hire a strength coach and go through a grueling 5x5 program.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I'm really disappointed with Tedenby. While a lot of his issues are his hockey iq on the d side, much of his poor performance stems from being weak. Why the **** didn't he hire a strength coach and bulk up over the last few off seasons? I he added 10-15 lbs of muscle over the last 2 year(which is entirely doable) he would be in such a better place now..just really grinds my gears that he's not doing everything he can to get better. Lou should make him hire a strength coach and go through a grueling 5x5 program.

Hopefully this season is a bit of a wake up call for him. I think he and Josefson are still on the right track. Josefson's smarts will carry him until he gets his break eventually and Tedenby's attitude is the one thing that keeps me fairly optimistic he won't be the next Bergfors.

Rella17

May 21, 2010
Bergen
think we can all agree that Lou had an absolutely brutal off-season, even if most of it was out of his control

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
think we can all agree that Lou had an absolutely brutal off-season, even if most of it was out of his control

He needs to make up for it this year, because what we got now isn't cutting it. If he's just gonna wait it out and see what happens this year then fine, I respect that. If he goes into next year with just a Bobby Butler type signing, or replacing Clarkson from within if he chooses to leave then I expect us to be in the same position. Even if Clarkson stays we need another winger. If all our UFA's stay we need to add a winger.

Also if he lets Zubrus walk, and I hear the ''We decided to give a younga playa a chance this yeea'' line I don't know what I'll do. Unless Zubrus winds up getting stupid money from some other team.

DevilChuk*

He needs to make up for it this year, because what we got now isn't cutting it. If he's just gonna wait it out and see what happens this year then fine, I respect that. If he goes into next year with just a Bobby Butler type signing, or replacing Clarkson from within if he chooses to leave then I expect us to be in the same position. Even if Clarkson stays we need another winger. If all our UFA's stay we need to add a winger.

Also if he lets Zubrus walk, and I hear the ''We decided to give a younga playa a chance this yeea'' line I don't know what I'll do. Unless Zubrus winds up getting stupid money from some other team.

So if he signs Zubrus and he turns into a terrible hockey player next year, you're 100% okay with that and won't complain about Lou at all, right? And if he gives someone else a chance and they run with it, you'll give him all the credit in the world?

Just checking, since signing or not signing any UFA comes with two risks.. can't blame him for both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad