Speculation: Trade Speculation Part V

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Holtz My Bahls

Jan 5, 2011
New Jersey
He needs to make up for it this year, because what we got now isn't cutting it. If he's just gonna wait it out and see what happens this year then fine, I respect that. If he goes into next year with just a Bobby Butler type signing, or replacing Clarkson from within if he chooses to leave then I expect us to be in the same position. Even if Clarkson stays we need another winger. If all our UFA's stay we need to add a winger.

Also if he lets Zubrus walk, and I hear the ''We decided to give a younga playa a chance this yeea'' line I don't know what I'll do. Unless Zubrus winds up getting stupid money from some other team.

God only knows what Clarkson may fetch if he reaches UFA.

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey
think we can all agree that Lou had an absolutely brutal off-season, even if most of it was out of his control

I can't really grade anyone on this past off-season because of the latter part of your statement. It was out of his control for the most part. A lot of free agency (aside from the top guys) was going to take a weird pattern because of the pending lockout. The guys who would sign right off the bat weren't subjected to it much. But those guys that sign in August and September were. Then when things picked back up, it was a cluster ****. Only kind of a "grade" I could give is an "incomplete" because its hard to really assess what could have been done really.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
God only knows what Clarkson may fetch if he reaches UFA.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's something really stupid. Depending what he does for the rest of this year it could be close to $5 million a year.

That's why Lou needs to stop letting guys go to UFA. I know last year we were tied up with Parise and the financial BS, but there's no excuse for that this year. Of course if Clarkson wants to test the UFA that's not on Lou. I bet if we signed Salvador before UFA he wouldn't have gotten this much. He tested the market and was given ridiculous offers. He said so himself that he asked us to match.

Holtz My Bahls

Jan 5, 2011
New Jersey
I wouldn't be surprised if it's something really stupid. Depending what he does for the rest of this year it could be close to $5 million a year.

That's why Lou needs to stop letting guys go to UFA. I know last year we were tied up with Parise and the financial BS, but there's no excuse for that this year. Of course if Clarkson wants to test the UFA that's not on Lou. I bet if we signed Salvador before UFA he wouldn't have gotten this much. He tested the market and was given ridiculous offers. He said so himself that he asked us to match.

With Perry and Getzlaf getting 8 per year I fear a desperate team could through an offer close to 6 at him. I have no idea what Lou thinks he is gaining by wiating until the last minute. Signing Salvador at all pissed me off, the fact that we overpayed for him is disturbing. I was thinking a young gun (Gelinas) would be given a shot this year in his place, but that would make no sense :shakehead

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
With Perry and Getzlaf getting 8 per year I fear a desperate team could through an offer close to 6 at him. I have no idea what Lou thinks he is gaining by wiating until the last minute. Signing Salvador at all pissed me off, the fact that we overpayed for him is disturbing. I was thinking a young gun (Gelinas) would be given a shot this year in his place, but that would make no sense :shakehead

I liked bringing him back initially. Right now though it sucks that we have little forward depth, but $10 million plus in stay at home defensemen. If we get into a position where we are pretty much not making the playoffs, then Lou needs to act with these UFA's and get to work early. What's he gonna say then ''Well we don't want any distractions that might keep us from finishing 13th instead of 11th or 12th''?:shakehead

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I think Clarkson and Elias both really want to stay so I'm honestly not too worried about them. Clarkson probably deserves 5 million at this point though. Despite this awful stretch he's still on pace for 30 goals and 50 points.

What's gonna be interesting is how much Elias wants. His past few seasons have been defying all logic and he's earning his contract now more than he was 3 years ago. I don't think he'll make 6 million again, but he COULD, and that's crazy. Hopefully Lou can get him to think about the franchise or something and take a bit of a pay cut.

apice3*

I'd have no problem giving Elias 6m per for 3 years. He has shown no indication of slowing down at all.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
Ya just keep them at this point. There isn't a forward available that we are likely to add that will break the bank.

I do see us getting someone in the summer from a team unloading to reach the new cap.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
We should have the room to get him even. Unless we keep all our dmen from this year minus Zidlicky which would be nuts considering the merry go round we are doing now already. Then Urbom and Gelinas would be behind 7 instead of 8 :facepalm:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Clarkson's offer could be stupid in years more than actual dollars. I could picture someone offering a 6-30 deal, or something almost as dumb as that. And then we'll let him walk and people will say well at least we didn't get stuck with another cap-killing deal like with Parise, never mind the fact we lost another forward we can't replace.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
We should have the room to get him even. Unless we keep all our dmen from this year minus Zidlicky which would be nuts considering the merry go round we are doing now already. Then Urbom and Gelinas would be behind 7 instead of 8 :facepalm:

I'm starting to hope Zidlicky and Harrold are both gone and Lou still moves a D-man. We have the defensive depth to acquire some assets for old guys without missing a beat, I think.

Holtz My Bahls

Jan 5, 2011
New Jersey
Clarkson's offer could be stupid in years more than actual dollars. I could picture someone offering a 6-30 deal, or something almost as dumb as that. And then we'll let him walk and people will say well at least we didn't get stuck with another cap-killing deal like with Parise, never mind the fact we lost another forward we can't replace.

I feel we would do that haha.

Holtz My Bahls

Jan 5, 2011
New Jersey
I'm starting to hope Zidlicky and Harrold are both gone and Lou still moves a D-man. We have the defensive depth to acquire some assets for old guys without missing a beat, I think.

Gelinas is honestly ready in every way, he has developed into a very solid 2-way d-man that is easily NHL material.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'd have no problem giving Elias 6m per for 3 years. He has shown no indication of slowing down at all.
I'd be more comfortable with 2 years if it's $6 million cause he is 37 or will be at least. I'd like to lock him up as cheap as he can, but since he'd be a lifer I'm willing to go higher. That and Lou/Hucksterbeek will probably replace him with a bunch of geeks like the showed this year. I don't trust them to replace him, and we're not giving the $6 million to anybody else. I think he wants to stay too.
Like I said, Lou and Hucksterbeek have given me no confidence he'd be replaced anyway. I'm thinking Tedenby's fourth chance, or Matteau going straight to that role despite not being ready, or some frugal league minimum Bobby Butler type question mark. That's what they've shown me so far, therefore I have no reason to believe different until proven otherwise.
I wouldn't mind Harrold at a number 7, but GTFO Zidlicky, and Tallinder (Or Volchenkov) can go with no problems from me. We'd save a ton of money on defensemen actually. No more 8 d men EVER again please.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I feel we would do that haha.

Well Lou might match if it's one of those 'get your market value and come back to us' type things, the way it was with Marty/Sal this offseason. I think someone else would have to offer it first for Lou to go that nuts, but he might not have much of a choice with the roster the way it is.

I could be underselling it too, I could see teams going as high as 5.5 per year, or seven years, though not both.

Rob Nieds work ethic

Swarm it up Devils!
Aug 17, 2007
If the market proves "dry" I'd love to grab someone like Tomas Kopecky to the third line. I don't know about his contract details though.

EDIT: 2 more years at 3 million/year. Not really plausible with our UFA situation.

Last edited:

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Well Lou might match if it's one of those 'get your market value and come back to us' type things, the way it was with Marty/Sal this offseason. I think someone else would have to offer it first for Lou to go that nuts, but he might not have much of a choice with the roster the way it is.

I could be underselling it too, I could see teams going as high as 5.5 per year, or seven years, though not both.

Part of me says ''He wants $5 million? Sign him for that much then'' cause I don't trust them to replace him, and spend that $5 million elsewhere.

I can vividly hear Lou right now. ''It's unfootunate, but you don't replace a playa like David Claakson. We have otha younga playas here ready to make the jump. Mattias Tedenby will be given every oppatunity to make the club again this yeaa. Or Stefan Matteau will have a very good chance as well to pick up whee he left off last yeaa. If you wanna make the team betta then we most ceetainly will if theea's a transaction to be made. Right now though waa comftable with the way the team is''.:shakehead

In August we will then sign this years Bobby Butler. Who will be Zach Boychuk!:laugh:

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
Because he can't score.

I could see an Elias deal for like 4 years 20 mill or 3 years 16 or something along those lines. No 35+ rule so whats the matter anyhow. Clarkson will get paid. Lou gave him a great deal on this contract, no doubt lou will pay him again this time.

I would take havlat in a second.

Gelinas may be ready for full time NHL duty but he can't even get his cup of coffee with our roster the way that it is.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Is the 35+ rule now gone? Is it grandfathered like Sal, Marty and Moose aren't exempt since there's was signed under the old CBA, but any new ones signed are exempt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad