Speculation: Trade Speculation Part V

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I think everyone is giving up on Tedenby way too early. No doubt he's got a hill to climb, especially since the questions aren't about his skill or speed, but about his desire, work ethic, defensive game and size.

I think Lemaire got through to him on the Dgame, and I think he has the desire. Whether he'll work at it and whether he'll spend some time in the gym or ever have the size to play in the league is for us to see the next few years.

teddy making the next jump would do WONDERS for our team. its actually pretty pivotal. but after he didnt step up in parise's absence, im not counting on him at all. this way, if he does make the jump, i can be pleasantly surprised

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
That definitely isn't true.
http://www.coppernblue.com/2011/4/4/2082829/nhl-draft-pick-value-first-round

A mid first round pick is just as valuable as 2nd - 7th round picks combined.

With that said, scouts know very little. You could pick players simply based off junior PPG adjusted for age and do just as well if not better than NHL scouts over the long run.

Horrible article.

As such, I've set the criteria for a "successful pick" in these drafts as any player who has played a minimum of 200 NHL games and has scored a minimum of 0.5 points per game.

By those standards, the Devils have only 3 players that are a successful pick on the roster right now.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
teddy making the next jump would do WONDERS for our team. its actually pretty pivotal. but after he didnt step up in parise's absence, im not counting on him at all. this way, if he does make the jump, i can be pleasantly surprised

unfortunately for him he suffered the injury. Now he's not getting any time to play because of it. I could see him going to Sweden this Summer. He'll be tendered an offer, but it will probably be for as much as he got on the first contract and definitely a two way.

Until then trade for Gaborik!:sarcasm:

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I don't know if Lou will trade with Islanders but Kyle Okposo could be a nice 3RW or 2RW to battle with Clarkson, and he's still got some upside. If anything, he's a big bodied 20g 20a forward.

Has had some inconsistencies this year, but I think he could be a nice fit.

Only problem is his value to NYI is probably something like Fayne or around there.

Zubrus-Loktionov-Kovalchuk
Elias-Henrique-Okposo
Ponikarovski-Zajac-Clarkson
CBGB

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I don't know if Lou will trade with Islanders but Kyle Okposo could be a nice 3RW or 2RW to battle with Clarkson.

Has had some inconsistencies this year, but I think he could be a nice fit.

Only problem is his value to NYI is probably something like Fayne or around there.

Lou acquired Trent Hunter from the Isles just a year ago :sarcasm:

(and Beezer for Terreri way back when)

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
i'd trade Fayne for Okposo in an instant

This. It's a no-brainer, in my opinion. We're deep defensively (minors included) and can afford to move Fayne and a 3rd or fourth rounder for Okposo who I think has a higher ceiling anyway.

Both are making peanuts right now too so that might actually be a great match.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
havent you heard? okposo cant play hockey :sarcasm:

A concern is that Eklund said Minny has interest and he is apparently "friends with Parise."

Wouldn't it be something to get spurned by two kids "going home!" Okposo went to Minn. but I'm not sure if he's from there. Still, would be hilarious story-line to play out again.

Some more:

BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT: Kyle Okposo
Coming off shoulder surgery that cost him half of 2010-11, Okposo's slow start last season was explainable. His current one, with two goals in the first half of this season, is less so. He's been playing with more confidence the past month with little to show for it, but he has the faith of his coaches and Garth Snow, who has rebuffed plenty of low-ball offers for the former first-round draft pick.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/colum...800?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I'm going to post it on the main board.

Personally, I'd like to keep Fayne and it's probably one of the few deals I'd be open to doing.

aboriginal

lou ****ing sucks
Mar 10, 2006
LV-426

Zubrus Coffee Maker

Blinded by my Zubrus
Nov 14, 2008
Cobourg, ON
32622104.jpg

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Because the standards of judging a successful pick are dumb haha.

Not really.

If a forward scores below 0.50 PPG, you can be 99% sure he is not a top caliber player. While the designation is fairly arbitrary, it does a decent job of showing where top offensive producers are picked in the draft (and they're predominantly picked in the first round).

Additionally, there is very limited value in successfully drafting 3rd and 4th line grinder/defensive forward types. These players are available every offseason for peanuts. Real drafting value comes from snagging top six forwards like Adam Henrique - premium guys that you can't just sign in free agency for under $2.0M.

Look no further than the current NJ Devils roster. Ryan Carter - waiver claim, now a decent third line contributor. Steve Bernier - AHL tryout, now a decent third line contributor. These players are not hard to find. However the Devils are sorely lacking top six scoring, and invariably those players are really hard to find.

So the real value in drafting forwards comes in getting guys who score above 0.50 PPG in the NHL, thus those standards for judging a successful forward pick are not dumb.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Not really.

If a forward scores below 0.50 PPG, you can be 99% sure he is not a top caliber player. While the designation is fairly arbitrary, it does a decent job of showing where top offensive producers are picked in the draft (and they're predominantly picked in the first round).

Additionally, there is very limited value in successfully drafting 3rd and 4th line grinder/defensive forward types. These players are available every offseason for peanuts. Real drafting value comes from snagging top six forwards like Adam Henrique - premium guys that you can't just sign in free agency for under $2.0M.

Look no further than the current NJ Devils roster. Ryan Carter - waiver claim, now a decent third line contributor. Steve Bernier - AHL tryout, now a decent third line contributor. These players are not hard to find. However the Devils are sorely lacking top six scoring, and invariably those players are really hard to find.

So the real value in drafting forwards comes in getting guys who score above 0.50 PPG in the NHL, thus those standards for judging a successful forward pick are not dumb.

actually, I call b***s***t on that article. If it were to be true, the Bruins Habs and other successful teams would be nothing but 1st rounders. Fact is, the Bruins are built of second and 3rd rounders that exceeded expectations.

I think the article subscribes to the same thinking that makes the Rags suck every year - that you can buy yourself a Rick Nash and give up on the Prusts, Dubis, and Anisimovs of the world and still compete.

A pick and a round is just a number, and scouts in any sports are just guessing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad