Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals PART XXXXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
What I specifically said was that there are 2 scenarios or markets for Debrincat. Contracts matter, so when I take the contract into consideration, I see 2 markets for him. That's not as wide open a situation or market as a lower cost player with term. That's not diminishing the player, that just factoring in the contract and seeing what kind of teams meet a certain profile.

There's 12 teams that have a projected cap space of $0 at the end of the year. TBH, I don't know how that compares to the COVID years.

But, I generally agree that once the NHL finally opens up the cap situation (implements larger increases), the trade market situation will change. Note the words in the sentence "as that situation disappears" that I used to convey this point.

If we assume we have three requirements next year (a RD, a goalie, and re-sign Debrincat), let's see how many of those things we get done. We may have a new owner & GM, so that could be a factor. But, our cap situation isn't exactly without limits either.
Must add re-sign Formenton!
I am not confident that Dorion will deliver quality additions to satisfy the 4 requirements.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
If we trade Cat for Roy, I really hope a lot more pieces are coming back that help us fill depth with quality players in addition to a first rounder/their best prospect who isn't Clarke

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
This upcoming summer, when we'll be in the market for a D, the cap squeeze teams will be facing will be as big, if not bigger, than in previous seasons.

It probably begins to let up after next season, but the cap is only going up $1M next year. Not much relief.
The Senators are no longer in a position where they can take advantage of this.

If you're signing DeBrincat [8M?], bridging Pinto [2M?], plugging in a backup that can handle a decent amount of NHL games [2M?], and filling out the fourth line [1M] then you are pretty much capped out at 82M. That total doesn't even account for the need to add at least one more forward and two more defensemen.

People want to dump Zaitsev to open up 4.5M of cap space, but the Senators are asset poor. Doesn't really seem like the pieces are there to both dump Zaitsev and add a top-4 defenseman, which is typically not cheap.

It's going to be very tough to improve the roster.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville

If you're signing DeBrincat [8M?], bridging Pinto [2M?], plugging in a backup that can handle a decent amount of NHL games [2M?], and filling out the fourth line [1M] then you are pretty much capped out at 82M. That total doesn't even account for the need to add at least one more forward and two more defensemen.

People want to dump Zaitsev to open up 4.5M of cap space, but the Senators are asset poor. Doesn't really seem like the pieces are there to both dump Zaitsev and add a top-4 defenseman, which is typically not cheap.

I see next year as a transition year, with new ownership, a new front office, new coaching staff, and possibly low expectations (maybe just the hope to be a bubble team). I wouldn't want to use assets to dump Zaitsev, and I would trade DBC to replenish the farm and use the cap space to sign a RHD for the longer term and/or acquire bad contracts that come with assets. I would give the 2nd tier prospects/players such as Brannstrom, JBD, Lassi, Sokolov one last look, with the hope that some of them show enough to either stick with the team or fetch us more assets.

Next year:

Chuck - Norris - Batherson
Greig - Stu - Giroux
Motte? - Pinto - Joseph <- or "Motte-like", nothing as expensive as DBC. Ideally, Formenton!
Kelly - Kastelic - Sokolov

Chabot - Zub
Sanderson - JBD <- or move everyone down a notch if we can sign a good RHD
Brannstrom - Zaitsev/Lassi

Forsberg
Sogaard

Underwhelming I know! But fits nicely under the cap, giving us a lot of flexibility and opportunities to obtain more assets.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Must add re-sign Formenton!
I am not confident that Dorion will deliver quality additions to satisfy the 4 requirements.
Yeah we aren't resigning Formenton

Unless somehow some way he gets cleared of everything which seems very unlikely

Reactions: SensFactor

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
A bit of an aside, but I'm not convinced they won't come to a compromise between PA and owners and jack up the cap to smooth out the increase between this year and next.
There is still no replacement for Fehr so that could be tough. There is also the revenue hit when Bally’s declares bankruptcy.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I see next year as a transition year, with new ownership, a new front office, new coaching staff, and possibly low expectations (maybe just the hope to be a bubble team). I wouldn't want to use assets to dump Zaitsev, and I would trade DBC to replenish the farm and use the cap space to sign a RHD for the longer term and/or acquire bad contracts that come with assets. I would give the 2nd tier prospects/players such as Brannstrom, JBD, Lassi, Sokolov one last look, with the hope that some of them show enough to either stick with the team or fetch us more assets.

Next year:

Chuck - Norris - Batherson
Greig - Stu - Giroux
Motte? - Pinto - Joseph <- or "Motte-like", nothing as expensive as DBC. Ideally, Formenton!
Kelly - Kastelic - Sokolov

Chabot - Zub
Sanderson - JBD <- or move everyone down a notch if we can sign a good RHD
Brannstrom - Zaitsev/Lassi

Forsberg
Sogaard

Underwhelming I know! But fits nicely under the cap, giving us a lot of flexibility and opportunities to obtain more assets.
You're not accounting for any return on DeBrincat?

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
There is still no replacement for Fehr so that could be tough. There is also the revenue hit when Bally’s declares bankruptcy.
One way or another, I'd expect that the NHL will have to announce what the cap will be for next year fairly soon. With trade deadline approaching, GMs are going to need to know what budget they can count on.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
I would consider adding Anderson or Stalock during summer for cheap insurance in nets for next year
Their S% are good (better than our Goalie anyway) with teams that struggle and they are probably good for 20-30 games next year still and won't cost much

Reactions: NB613

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Very unlikely so less than 25% chance you figger? I think its more 50/50 but I have no information on him specifically one way or another.
I would say less then 25%. The information that is out in the public seems to be heavily pointing at him, and the people that dug into it on the main forum have him as one of the five players. Now obviously this is not actual evidence but this coupled with him not releasing a statement, plus no contract being agreed to says a lot imo

On the team canada note im guessing the logistics is to figure out what to do with the other players that were identified since they are under contract atm

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
I would say less then 25%. The information that is out in the public seems to be heavily pointing at him, and the people that dug into it on the main forum have him as one of the five players. Now obviously this is not actual evidence but this coupled with him not releasing a statement, plus no contract being agreed to says a lot imo

On the team canada note im guessing the logistics is to figure out what to do with the other players that were identified since they are under contract atm
1675263731935.png

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Yah me too if it makes us better .. allows us to upgrade a winger or bottom pair D including Hamonic at a good price I'd be for it.
Just looking at it for next year ideally we have our top 9 set in some combination of
Tkachuk/Stutzle/Giroux/Debrincat/Norris/Batherson/Joseph/Pinto/Greig

So a top 4 dman, maybe a goalie with term if we are trading talbot, or a good 4th line player (this should be at the very end of the list). Its why personally i wouldnt mind resigning Motte.

Sens should treat this deadline like how some MLB teams. Sell the pieces that arent needed but add to the weak areas when/where possible

• Love
Reactions: NB613

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Just looking at it for next year ideally we have our top 9 set in some combination of
Tkachuk/Stutzle/Giroux/Debrincat/Norris/Batherson/Joseph/Pinto/Greig

So a top 4 dman, maybe a goalie with term if we are trading talbot, or a good 4th line player (this should be at the very end of the list). Its why personally i wouldnt mind resigning Motte.

Sens should treat this deadline like how some MLB teams. Sell the pieces that arent needed but add to the weak areas when/where possible

If I'm Ottawa, I'm looking for potentially undervalued players who are not getting/or going to get a big opportunity on their current playoffs bound teams in return for our veterans.

Take Tyler Motte, for example.

The Rangers had him last year and really liked him. He played well for them in the playoffs. I bet they'd be interested in bringing him back for another run. But instead of a pick, could we get Julien Gauthier? Only playing 8 minutes a night and has been a healthy scratch a number of times. They've got Cuylle and Othmann coming on the wings. He's 6'4, 224lbs and showed some scoring touch in the AHL. Went on a playoff run with Chabot and Joseph in Saint John. Could replace Watson next year.

That's the type of deal I'd be looking for.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott

Not necessarily.

The cap is expected to be $83.5M next year.

It was impossible to dump Zaitsev last year because he had 2 years remaining and $6.5M of salary owed. After July 1st of this year, he'll have 1 year remaining and just $2.5M of salary owed (on a $4.5M cap hit). That makes him significantly easier to move to a team like Chicago or Arizona, who will once again be looking for picks and to hit the cap floor.

Last summer, the Coyotes were paid a 2nd round to take on Gostisbehere and his $3.25M salary (on a $4.5M cap hit). I'd expect the price to be similar for Zaitsev. Ottawa has their 2nd round pick this draft, and two 2nd round picks next draft.

So if you remove Zaitsev and DBC signs for $8M AAV, Pinto is bridged at $2M, a goalie is signed for $2M, you fill a 4th line spot for $1M, you re-sign Brannstrom at $1M and Hamonic at $1.3M (Holden's deal) to be your 3rd pairing, and have an extra player at $750k – the team will have just over $4.7M of cap space available (and this factors in all the dead money in 23/24).

While not as much room as in previous years, that's still a much more advantageous position than most other teams.

Even better news is that the long-term cap picture looks good for Ottawa. In 24/25, ~$5.5M of dead money comes off the books, and the cap is expected to increase to at least 86.5M, and then subsequently to $90M, so re-signing Sanderson, Pinto and then Greig long-term shouldn't be a huge problem, if they want to be here.

So a shrewd GM will have quite a lot of potential options. $4.7M in cap space, in today's NHL, is significant.

Reactions: Cosmix and NB613

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Hypothetically if we pick win the lotto and pick top 3, and pick any of Bedard, Fantilli, or Carlsson, who would you trade to improve defense?
thomson, JBD, or 2nd rounders like other teams have done when they got Toews, Marino, Graves or Dhillon

I would also wait and see who is available in the free agent market.

If we get Bedard I would throw him on the 3rd line to start and have a stacked top 9 while keeping Pinto DBC and Greig.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
thomson, JBD, or 2nd rounders like other teams have done when they got Toews, Marino, Graves or Dhillon

I would also wait and see who is available in the free agent market.

If we get Bedard I would throw him on the 3rd line to start and have a stacked top 9 while keeping Pinto DBC and Greig.
I'm intrigued by a Pinto/Braden Schneider swap ngl.

Reactions: bicboi64
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad