Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals PART XXXXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Maybe it boils down to the definition of rebuild, but what would you say we are doing?

We need a goalie, a RD, and not sure about Debrincat next year, but might have another hole in the top 6 to fill as well. We occupy the 25th seed (8th worst).

Not sure whether its a rebuild or some other term, but we are definitely needing to make several additional moves before we can have realistic hopes of making the playoffs and doing something once we are in.

I replied to bert before with a longer explanation, but my definition of our team currently is that we’re past the rebuild phase and currently evaluating if the core that we’ve built is good enough and are trying to complete the needs of the team like with a legit goalie and complementary pieces like an RD and another top 9 F.

When your entire core is locked up long term for the most part for me you’re past the stage of “rebuild”, but that’s just how I see it.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I replied to bert before with a longer explanation, but my definition of our team currently is that we’re past the rebuild phase and currently evaluating if the core that we’ve built is good enough and are trying to complete the needs of the team like with a legit goalie and complementary pieces like an RD and another top 9 F.

When your entire core is locked up long term for the most part for me you’re past the stage of “rebuild”, but that’s just how I see it.
Appreciate your feedback. If you say we need a goalie, a RD, and possibly another top 6 forward, I'm not sure if the rebuild isn't still happening. I wouldn't say those are complimentary pieces, but I suppose we're back into terminology again.

Like you say, the core is mostly in place and signed to long term (hence relatively costly) contracts, so trying to fill those 3 key slots under cap constraints won't be easy. Hence, who knows what adjustments will be needed, and the magnitude of those adjustments.

I guess we could say it boils down to terminology, but I'd say there's still considerable work to be done. Whether that is a continuance of the rebuild or not, I suppose it doesn't matter i.e., its just a term despite the fact there's still considerable work to be done.

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Ottawa has needed a #1 goalie they can depend on since forever, the last one or only one in their history that I can remember was Hasek. Everyone else let us down usually in the playoffs including Hasek who wouldn't return soon enough due to injury.

Need:
- #1 goalie they can depend on (off season move)
- a top 4 RD (maybe a TDL move)
- 4 bottom six forwards (these potentially can be had internally in time)

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Ottawa has needed a #1 goalie they can depend on since forever, the last one or only one in their history that I can remember was Hasek. Everyone else let us down usually in the playoffs including Hasek who wouldn't return soon enough due to injury.

Need:
- #1 goalie they can depend on (off season move)
- a top 4 RD (maybe a TDL move)
- 4 bottom six forwards (these potentially can be had internally in time)

Craig Anderson? Literally the best goalie in franchise history

Reactions: DrEasy and Masked

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
He has the best Senators career no doubt, but he was also subject to his own ups and downs that were a bit frustrating at times.

Hard to compare to a guy like Hasek no matter what. He's literally one of the best to ever play, and some would argue the best of all.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
If you say so, it's a case where he was here for a long time, but we never got by the Conference finals with him & were lucky to get that far. And wasn't it because of a couple of runs with the Hamburgler & someone else the real reason we got that far? Emery got us to the Cup finals at least.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
If you say so, it's a case where he was here for a long time, but we never got by the Conference finals with him & were lucky to get that far. And wasn't it because of a couple of runs with the Hamburgler & someone else the real reason we got that far? Emery got us to the Cup finals at least.
It was that whole hot and cold/injuries thing with Anderson. Just looking at his year to year save % with Ottawa tells a story of inconsistency.

And the wraparounds. My god, the wraparounds. To have such a significant weakness was a bit odd.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
It was that whole hot and cold/injuries thing with Anderson. Just looking at his year to year save % with Ottawa tells a story of inconsistency.

And the wraparounds. My god, the wraparounds. To have such a significant weakness was a bit odd.

That looks like 7 very good years in a row followed by a decline 17/18, which coincided with the implosion of the entire team.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
That looks like 7 very good years in a row followed by a decline 17/18, which coincided with the implosion of the entire team.
I could see that, but I would say more like a tremendous season followed by a pretty average season year on year which can be an issue in itself. I lived it so regardless of specifics, I remember it as an issue in my mind anyways. Could be wrong and admittedly was not a big fan. I specifically remember the .941 season thinking we had the best tender in the league and that we were about to build on that, but his inconsistency was an issue the following year.

Agreed though that he couldn't' be considered a true liability until that 17/18 season.

JaredCowen4Norris

Jul 9, 2020

I think every Sens fan who watched during the Anderson era has PTSD from some of those wraparound goals. I still get nervous whenever an opposing player starts to drive hard behind the net. My brain automatically responds with fear.

Love Andy, but man it was like watching a trainwreck in slow motion lol.

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I think every Sens fan who watched during the Anderson era has PTSD from some of those wraparound goals. I still get nervous whenever an opposing player starts to drive hard behind the net. My brain automatically responds with fear.

I'd say it was comical but iirc it often happened at the worst times.

Reactions: JaredCowen4Norris

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012

The team lost in the first round during the Hamburglar year. Anderson was the 2nd biggest reason behind Karlsson that we got to one goal of the Finals in 2017. Emery had a wayyy better team in front of him. It's comparing apples and oranges imo.

I remember those too. Iirc they were more common during the regular season.

Maybe my memory is failing me but I remember Anderson always raised his game in the playoffs and those stinkers were few and far between. 2017 he was great, when he came in relief for Hamburglar years prior he's almost the reason we almost came back against Montreal and had he started we probably would have advanced to later rounds.

Reactions: Sensators

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Anderson is one of the best playoff goalies of the past 20 years. He beat prime Price, Lundqvist, and Rask. If Ottawa had Anderson in 2007, they would've had a much better chance at winning the cup. He was always clutch in the playoffs.

Reactions: Sensators

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
That Pinto line is going to be caved in.
Batherson against lower comp maybe not

Lol inconsistency he was either incredible or just plain good. Except the 898 year.

I suppose he wasn’t consistently unbeatable.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Lol inconsistency he was either incredible or just plain good. Except the 898 year.

I suppose he wasn’t consistently unbeatable.
Those are fairly pedestrian numbers for a starter for the time. I guess good could apply. Average. Whatever you want to call it. I just think it caused some issues for the team to have a guy that was Vezina caliber one season with a significant drop off the next, then back up the year after.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Those are fairly pedestrian numbers for a starter for the time. I guess good could apply. Average. Whatever you want to call it. I just think it caused some issues for the team to have a guy that was Vezina caliber one season with a significant drop off the next, then back up the year after.

I’d be curious to see his playoff numbers with the Sens

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
I’d be curious to see his playoff numbers with the Sens

11-12, .933 in 7 GP, 12-13, .918 in 10 GP, 14-15, .972 in 4 GP, 16-17, .922 in 19 GP.

Andy could be frustrating at times throughout his Ottawa tenure, but in saying that: a, you can say that about every goalie in the league over a long enough time, and b, the team always had bigger problems than the goaltending every season from 11-12 to 16-17. Usually that was defense depth or a top player underperforming like Spezza in 13-14 or Ryan after 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $716.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki
    Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki