Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals PART XXXXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Hamonic is an adequate placeholder partner for Sanderson but clearly should not be top 4 on a playoff calibre team.

Hamonic is not adequate. Or we would be closer to a playoff spot.

Sanderson is -3. Hamonic is -11.

+/- is not usually a good indicator of ability, but that pains a pretty good picture of who's been carrying the hell out of who. Hamonic is a number 6 D man now, nothing more.

Reactions: NB613

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

+/- is not usually a good indicator of ability, but that pains a pretty good picture of who's been carrying the hell out of who. Hamonic is a number 6 D man now, nothing more.
You don’t have very good reading comprehension skills do you.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Losing DeMelo didn't make much sense at the time... much less so when you add Gudbranson, J.Brown, and Hamonic as the replacements in the years to follow. Even less so if Zaitsev was at all tradeable at the time.

Chabot - DeMelo/Zub
Sanderson - Zub/DeMelo
Holden/Brannstrom/Hamonic/JBD

Not world-beating, but better than any D group we've had in at least 5yrs
Good assessment from the coach.. of course he didn't have the Zaitsev option lol.... That was a bad call from DJ right off the bat and Dorion did nothing to change it.. and in fact rushed Demelo out of town without even discussing an extension.. only to bring in two very much worse defensemen ... This was Dorion using DJ to call the shots on what he wanted. A mistake that hurts us still.

Reactions: Cosmix and NB613

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Good assessment from the coach.. of course he didn't have the Zaitsev option lol.... That was a bad call from DJ right off the bat and Dorion did nothing to change it.. and in fact rushed Demelo out of town without even discussing an extension.. only to bring in two very much worse defensemen ... This was Dorion using DJ to call the shots on what he wanted. A mistake that hurts us still.
I never got the sense that DJ didn't like DeMelo. He did play the most minutes per game up til that point of his career. DJ leaned too much on the guys he knew/was comfortable with, but I think he would have been very happy to have DeMelo around these last few years.

Reactions: NB613

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa

Brady is -11 but Giroux is 0, does that mean Giroux is carrying Tkachuk?

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Brady is -11 but Giroux is 0, does that mean Giroux is carrying Tkachuk?

Giroux is a much better defensive and responsible player in his own zone than Tkachuk yes.

I love Tkachuk to death but the dude's defense 5v5 is the absolute worst, next to Batherson. Always cheating in the D zone, leaving early when the puck hasn't even left the zone. Always losing coverage of his man, leaving the point open, too slow to close the gap at the point, doesn't have the footspeed to back check as usually he's always the last one to get back.

This team ain't going anywhere until we actually get a legit top 4 dman, but also a lot of forwards start playing better defensively, and a coach that holds them accountable in that area. I am looking at mostly Batherson and Tkachuk, they have a lot of bad and lazy habits and lack any attention to detail in the D and neutral zone. In the O zone, they are dynamite.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I never got the sense that DJ didn't like DeMelo. He did play the most minutes per game up til that point of his career. DJ leaned too much on the guys he knew/was comfortable with, but I think he would have been very happy to have DeMelo around these last few years.
Not a matter of liking him or not. He played Zaitsev over him in the lineup and used Zaitsev as Chabots partner . I am guessing Dorion did not move him with out discussing with DJ and subsequently acquired Gudbranson.. a D that fits DJs mo... Just my guesses,

Salva Mea

Apr 4, 2018
chabot-zub

sandy - ?

branny-hamonic..

was time everyone said, we need Defensive D.. but :d... i think we need good all-around D..

now i know why they asked chychrun..

we need D who can just shoot .. ( dumba is good one)..

for now hi is not good D , but remember had very good heavy shot in past :d.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I heard Matias Elkholm was being shopped:

Ott: Elkholm
Nash: Ostapchuk, Lassi Thomson, Zaitsev as salary dump

Reactions: bicboi64

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Proposal - 3-way trade:

To Florida:
Brannstrom
Comtois

To Anaheim:
Zaitsev
M. Joseph
WSH 2nd 2024
FLA 2nd 2026
FLA 4th 2024

To Ottawa:
Duclair
Hornqvist

Lineup:
Tkachuk - Stützle - Giroux
Debrincat - Norris - Batherson
Motte - Pinto - Duclair
Kelly - Kastelic - Watson
Hornqvist, Brassard, Gambrell

Chabot - JBD/Zub/Hamonic
Sanderson - Zub/Hamonic
Holden - Hamonic/JBD

I am sure there are some pieces that need to be added, but thinking this could be a foundation for a deal. Would give Florida cap room, which trading Duclair alone won't really accomplish. Anaheim gets some assets + bodies. We get a good middle 6er signed for 3m next year.

Last edited:

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
He is not adequate. I want my 20 year old rookie D man to have a competent partner at worst, not someone who is a step behind top 4 play.

Your 2nd statement bang on, first one still a reach. He ain't adequate top 4 placeholder worthy.
He’s a better placeholder partner for Sanderson than Demelo would be, no question.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Proposal - 3-way trade:

To Florida:
Brannstrom
Comtois

To Anaheim:
Zaitsev
M. Joseph
WSH 2nd 2024
FLA 2nd 2026
FLA 4th 2024

To Ottawa:
Duclair
Hornqvist

Lineup:
Motte - Pinto - Duclair

Chabot - Zaitsev/Zub/Hamonic
Sanderson - Zub/Hamonic
Holden - Hamonic/Zaitse

I am sure there are some pieces that need to be added, but thinking this could be a foundation for a deal. Would give Florida cap room, which trading Duclair alone won't really accomplish. Anaheim gets some assets + bodies. We get a good middle 6er signed for 3m next year.
Why would we do this? We don’t need to bring in more bottom six forwards though since we have two that are injured and one who is pergatory, and then we have a slew of guys in the AHL that a ready for a look. Duclair isn’t really an upgrade.

We also are looking to clear salary space for next season, and while getting rid of Zaitsev helps, we don’t want to add more dollars.

This trade also makes our defence weaker by removing Branstrom and not really replacing him on the back end. We lose two defenders and add none, while filling salary cap space with two players we don’t need.

Why are we doing this?

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Proposal - 3-way trade:

To Florida:
Brannstrom
Comtois

To Anaheim:
Zaitsev
M. Joseph
WSH 2nd 2024
FLA 2nd 2026
FLA 4th 2024

To Ottawa:
Duclair
Hornqvist

Lineup:
Motte - Pinto - Duclair

Chabot - Zaitsev/Zub/Hamonic
Sanderson - Zub/Hamonic
Holden - Hamonic/Zaitse

No thanks. Anaheim can have Brannstrom and Washington’s 2024 2nd if they take Zaitsev and Joseph, I don’t want anything back.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Why would we do this? We don’t need to bring in more bottom six forwards though since we have two that are injured and one who is pergatory, and then we have a slew of guys in the AHL that a ready for a look. Duclair isn’t really an upgrade.

We also are looking to clear salary space for next season, and while getting rid of Zaitsev helps, we don’t want to add more dollars.

This trade also makes our defence weaker by removing Branstrom and not really replacing him on the back end. We lose two defenders and add none, while filling salary cap space with two players we don’t need.

Why are we doing this?
Because Duclair is the best player in the group and would add much-needed scoring to our bottom 6. He's scored at a 30 goal, nearly-60pt pace over the last three seasons. Seems like something we could use. Hornqvist is a cap dump.

Brannstrom is replaced by JBD, which I forgot to include in my post. We could probably also add a DMan from Anaheim or Florida to the return.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Because Duclair is the best player in the group and would add much-needed scoring to our bottom 6. He's scored at a 30 goal, nearly-60pt pace over the last three seasons. Seems like something we could use. Hornqvist is a cap dump.

Brannstrom is replaced by JBD, which I forgot to include in my post. We could probably also add a DMan from Anaheim or Florida to the return.
We don’t need Duclair in our bottom 6 at all really. What we need, certainly next season, are cheap up and comers on ELCs. Worst case we’d need to trade Joseph and replace him with an ELC, not Duclair.

We don’t want to take a cap dump to help us make our own cap dump. We need every dollar available this summer to sign DBC, a goalie, pinto, and potentially some help on the back end.

There is just no need to make this deal just to acquire a guy who isn’t a bottom six winger. My opinion anyways :)

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
We don’t need Duclair in our bottom 6 at all really. What we need, certainly next season, are cheap up and comers on ELCs. Worst case we’d need to trade Joseph and replace him with an ELC, not Duclair.

We don’t want to take a cap dump to help us make our own cap dump. We need every dollar available this summer to sign DBC, a goalie, pinto, and potentially some help on the back end.

There is just no need to make this deal just to acquire a guy who isn’t a bottom six winger. My opinion anyways :)

I think Duclair can absolutely play on a 3rd line. Bottom 6 divide isn't as clear as it used to be. And I wouldn't call him a cap dump whatsoever; some team will pay assets for him. Hornqvist, as an expiring contract, is inconsequential.

Duclair can even be flipped if need be in the offseason, or be insurance in case we cant afford all of our forwards. His value will be even higher in the offseason.

You can have your objections, but I think adding Duclair for cheap would be a great addition. We do need cheap ELC players, but we can't have a bottom 6 full of them. I'm also not so sure that Joseph can be moved without a sweetener at this point.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
Ekholm is a LD, and while awesome - has high mileage. I think if we swing a 3 way trade where another party retained up to 50% we could complete the trade.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Why are we doing this?
I mean, Duclair score 30 goals and 58 pts last year, how's he not an upgrade?

Not sure I'm ready to move Brann, I'd rather keep our depth at LD unless we have a better option.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013

So is Batherson a 4th liner at -26?

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I mean, Duclair score 30 goals and 58 pts last year, how's he not an upgrade?

Not sure I'm ready to move Brann, I'd rather keep our depth at LD unless we have a better option.
Duclair had 10 goals prior year in 43 games the year before.

The whole team had career years last year
Look at Barkov 39 goals down to 9 so far.

No interest in picking up a guy coming off Achilles injury.
Plus no room for 3 million next year, it’s been well documented.

Reactions: Ice-Tray
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad