Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals PART XXXXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Pittsburgh specifically wanted a really good prospect who was waiver exempt so they could stash him in the AHL. They had 9 non waiver exempt D heading into the season and didn’t want to lose another one.
Ok, but pens wanting someone waiver exempt doesn't make Greig his equivalent. I also think you're drawing a bit much from Guerin's comment, he said the wanted futures or a forward, really feels like you're inflating Ty Smith's value retroactively to me, it's one thing to say Brannstrom wouldn't work for them, it's another to say Greig=Ty Smith

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
i mean we saw Marino got for Ty Smith and a pick

you need a GM who can. close down a deal.
You should apply for the GM position because you have one of these.

1670429895145.png

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
It sounded like the ownership situation could get resolved as earlier as some point in January. I am not sure if there would be absolutely no trades prior to that point but I could see nothing major happening until that is resolved. What could happen is that the Sens could start calling some forwards up from Belleville and if they prove they can steal some roster spots, the Sens might start shipping some of the bottom six players out.
They should really be seeing what they have down there. The bottom 6 on this team is so bad. That Joseph contract is so bad. The guy actually cant take a pass. Its crazy to watch how many plays die on his stick. Back hand or forehand neither work. Id honestly prefer Colin White to him. He is a better player. the team would be way better off if they just kept White and traded Paul for futures.

Can you believe Pierre Dorion wouldnt give Paul 3 million a year then traded him for Joseph only to give him 2.95.... Its actually insane. Dorion clearly knew Formenton wasnt going to be able to play this year then traded Connor Brown for a 2nd.

This is just wild stuff. He is the problem. He extended DJ he built this roster. They have almost nothing in the cupboard for blue chip prospects outside of Grieg... Thats crazy, they had a complete tear down.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Ok, but pens wanting someone waiver exempt doesn't make Greig his equivalent. I also think you're drawing a bit much from Guerin's comment, he said the wanted futures or a forward, really feels like you're inflating Ty Smith's value retroactively to me, it's one thing to say Brannstrom wouldn't work for them, it's another to say Greig=Ty Smith
I am not equating Smith with Greig, I’m saying Greig was likely the best fit from our prospect pool. I’m not sure which other prospect had more value than Smith, certainly no one on D so maybe Boucher depending on Pittsburgh’s opinion of him.

Reactions: bert

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
They should really be seeing what they have down there. The bottom 6 on this team is so bad. That Joseph contract is so bad. The guy actually cant take a pass. Its crazy to watch how many plays die on his stick. Back hand or forehand neither work. Id honestly prefer Colin White to him. He is a better player. the team would be way better off if they just kept White and traded Paul for futures.

Can you believe Pierre Dorion wouldnt give Paul 3 million a year then traded him for Joseph only to give him 2.95.... Its actually insane. Dorion clearly knew Formenton wasnt going to be able to play this year then traded Connor Brown for a 2nd.

This is just wild stuff. He is the problem. He extended DJ he built this roster. They have almost nothing in the cupboard for blue chip prospects outside of Grieg... Thats crazy, they had a complete tear down.
I wonder if we could unload Joseph + for Puljujarvi and then let Puljujarvi walk. Obviously Dorion wouldn’t do this but maybe a new GM would bail on that contract mistake.

eh, If you couldnt get a RD then there should have been a plan B to get a LD to add depth to this team

Like Jason York said what was the plan if Sanderson was not playing this good?
There is no debating Dorion failed, we all knew a top 4 D was needed, even DJ knew.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I am not equating Smith with Greig, I’m saying Greig was likely the best fit from our prospect pool. I’m not sure which other prospect had more value than Smith, certainly no one on D so maybe Boucher depending on Pittsburgh’s opinion of him.
Well you kind of are equating them when you say "I would thing Greig would be our equivalent" then swap the two names in a hypothetical trade keeping everything else the same (Greig + 3rd Rd pick for Marino) and asking how many posters would have been happy with that without hindsight.

Surely if I said we should have just offered them Thomson or JBD and a 3rd you'd call me out for equating the value of Thomson or JBD with Smith, for example.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Well you kind of are equating them when you say "I would thing Greig would be our equivalent" then swap the two names in a hypothetical trade keeping everything else the same (Greig + 3rd Rd pick for Marino) and asking how many posters would have been happy with that without hindsight.

Surely if I said we should have just offered them Thomson or JBD and a 3rd you'd call me out for equating the value of Thomson or JBD with Smith, for example.
I am sure they likely did but Smith carried much more value. He just had two pretty solid NHL seasons under his belt. Was a much better prospect than both of them even before he was drafted. Even if Ottawa added a 2nd instead of a 3rd the Penguins would have liked the Smith deal better.

Reactions: cudi

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
eh, If you couldnt get a RD then there should have been a plan B to get a LD to add depth to this team

Like Jason York said what was the plan if Sanderson was not playing this good?
They rebuilt the forwards, but not the defense. They had to say something such as the rebuild was finished. But, they were prepping the team and positioning it to be sold.

So, they were probably not going to say the rebuild is not complete because we haven't addressed the rebuild of the defense even though that was pretty obvious. They knew the fans would be receptive to the theory that the rebuild was complete and they needed to boost attendance to facilitate the sale. Oh well.

1670432221360.png

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I wonder if we could unload Joseph + for Puljujarvi and then let Puljujarvi walk. Obviously Dorion wouldn’t do this but maybe a new GM would bail on that contract mistake.
I'd do that deal right away. JP isn't going to score the most but he's defensively sound and his shorter term means we could get rid of his deal if he doesn't perform, if he does perform we can probably re-sign him for something reasonable and short

Reactions: NB613 and bert

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Ya, I wonder about our prospect pool at this point. Almost all of the top prospects have already graduated.

At forward, we have Grieg who could have top 6 potential. There's not much else that seem like a sure thing re: top six.

Defensive prospects seem more bleak.

Not sure what we have as far as goaltenders either.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I am sure they likely did but Smith carried much more value. He just had two pretty solid NHL seasons under his belt. Was a much better prospect than both of them even before he was drafted. Even if Ottawa added a 2nd instead of a 3rd the Penguins would have liked the Smith deal better.
That's kind of my point, though you clearly seem higher than me on Smith,

Just like JBD isn't equal to Smith, Smith isn't equal to Greig.

Reactions: Hale The Villain

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

If we say Smith+ 3rd is the baseline then we would have beat it. IMO Smith would have been 2nd in our available prospect pool had he been Sens property. Obviously Sandy and Pinto are excluded.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Not to make excuses for Dorion, but last summer was pretty thin on available defensemen. This year there seems to be a bunch of top 4 guys in UFA

Dumba
Orlov
Severson
Dumoulin
Gavrikov
Soucy
Jensen
Mayfield

Reactions: NB613 and Que

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

One solid season. Smith was one of the worst D in the NHL in 2021/22.

I'm not buying that the Pens needed to have a D like Smith coming back in a Marino trade given they have a full D with 8 guys on 1-way deals.

I think it's more likely that they thought Smith + 3rd was the best offer available because no one else offered a lot for Marino for some reason.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Not to make excuses for Dorion, but last summer was pretty thin on available defensemen. This year there seems to be a bunch of top 4 guys in UFA

Dumba
Orlov
Severson
Dumoulin
Gavrikov
Soucy
Jensen
Mayfield

NJ acquired 3 good D for peanuts in the last 3 years - Siegenthaler, Graves and Marino. Year before that Toews was picked up for two 2nds.

Solutions were there and I was hammering the table for several of those guys, but we passed on them for worse D that "fit" the style of play we want.

Problem is and has always been that Dorion has no idea how to evaluate defensemen (see Zaitsev, Gudbranson, Hamonic, Hainsey Brown, etc...).

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
NJ acquired 3 good D for peanuts in the last 3 years - Siegenthaler, Graves and Marino. Year before that Toews was picked up for two 2nds.

Solutions were there and I was hammering the table for several of those guys, but we passed on them for worse D that "fit" the style of play we want.

Problem is and has always been that Dorion has no idea how to evaluate defensemen (see Zaitsev, Gudbranson, Hamonic, Hainsey Brown, etc...).
I mean wasn't Siegenthaler a bottom pair guy until he improved a lot in NJ? I mostly agree on the rest though, the Avs getting Toews for two 2nds and us spending a 2nd on Stepan was embarrassing,

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
What lesson did you take away from them? They are all depth d with different issues so I am not sure exactly what you are getting at.

I liked Gudbranson the most from that group but he was asked to take on too big a role here. If he was a bottom pairing guy, I would be happy with that.

I liked Coburn's ability to defend and clear the front of the net, but he was at the very end of his career and had almost no mobility at that point.

Josh Brown was an enforcer who didn't want to be an enforcer, he is a guy that needed to be physical to provide value to the team and wasn't all that physical.

Holden's mobility was a lot better last season and he has been a good locker room guy, this season he is looking more like a 7th d man at best.

Hamonic works hard, blocks shots and provides some physicality. He is being asked to take on too big of a role, but even in a smaller role I'm not sure if he would be the type of player I would target.

Luke Schenn seems more like an ideal target for a 3rd pairing d. He is a big physical shut down d man. We don't have a big physical shut down d man at this point, so I think there is value in having one moving forward.
We think they’re 3rd pairing D. Dorion and his pro scouts think they are second pairing D. That’s the issue

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021

Dumba
Orlov
Severson
Dumoulin
Gavrikov
Soucy
Jensen
Mayfield
I've given Jensen some thought. RD I believe. He also PKs on the 1st unit with the Caps.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I mean wasn't Siegenthaler a bottom pair guy until he improved a lot in NJ? I mostly agree on the rest though, the Avs getting Toews for two 2nds and us spending a 2nd on Stepan was embarrassing,
It’s about identifying which under utilized players in the league can be used higher in the depth chart. That’s what pro scouts are supposed to do. Find some innefeciencies and capitalize. But ours do not. They work in reverse. They fall for all the tricks lol

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If we say Smith+ 3rd is the baseline then we would have beat it. IMO Smith would have been 2nd in our available prospect pool had he been Sens property. Obviously Sandy and Pinto are excluded.
So, not our equivalent then, just one of many pieces we could include in a package that would have to be adjusted to reflect the difference in relative value.

I get Greig is our best fit for them, but perhaps I'm just not as high on Smith as you are, I see him as a heck of a lot closer to JBD or Thomson than Greig, yes he's better than our prospects on D at least for now but aside from the waiver status I see him as pretty similar to Brannstrom, a guy that will bounce between being a 5 and 4 on D.

The waiver status happens to be important to the Pens this year but doesn't add a lot of value under normal circumstances, and personally Id take a late 1st over Smith for example, not that we were or should have been offering our first.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I just find it highly presumptuous that it was Ty Smith or Greig, an no other combination of picks and prospects could have worked from the pens perspective so we needed not only to match and beat the value but also the format of the trade.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
We think they’re 3rd pairing D. Dorion and his pro scouts think they are second pairing D. That’s the issue
Fair point. Depth players are going to receive a fair amount of criticism if they are asked to take on too big of a role. They could even possibly be very good for the role they are built to play but if you ask them to be more than what they are, it isn't going to work out well very often.

That is why I specifically said I liked Luke Schenn for the 3rd pair. That he is not a solution to the top 4 but would be valuable as a 3rd pair guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad