Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals PART XXXXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Fair point. Depth players are going to receive a fair amount of criticism if they are asked to take on too big of a role. They could even possibly be very good for the role they are built to play but if you ask them to be more than what they are, it isn't going to work out well very often.

That is why I specifically said I liked Luke Schenn for the 3rd pair. That he is not a solution to the top 4 but would be valuable as a 3rd pair guy.
These guys tried to acquire Tyler Myers lol. They for sure think Luke schenn is a top 4 guys

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
They should really be seeing what they have down there. The bottom 6 on this team is so bad. That Joseph contract is so bad. The guy actually cant take a pass. Its crazy to watch how many plays die on his stick. Back hand or forehand neither work. Id honestly prefer Colin White to him. He is a better player. the team would be way better off if they just kept White and traded Paul for futures.

Can you believe Pierre Dorion wouldnt give Paul 3 million a year then traded him for Joseph only to give him 2.95.... Its actually insane. Dorion clearly knew Formenton wasnt going to be able to play this year then traded Connor Brown for a 2nd.

This is just wild stuff. He is the problem. He extended DJ he built this roster. They have almost nothing in the cupboard for blue chip prospects outside of Grieg... Thats crazy, they had a complete tear down.
We should have kept Nick Paul. Joseph is a 4th liner who now has a bad contract. The Sens should be looking to get out of that contract quickly while other teams can still be sold on Joseph's perceived upside.

I think the prospect pool is decent. They have done fine in terms of forwards. On top of acquiring Norris, they drafted Tkachuk, Stuetzle, Batherson, Pinto and Formenton. Without the Hockey Canada situation, that would be almost an entire top six drafted. Then we have a guy like Kastelic who is a solid 4th line center and a bunch of support cast forwards in Sokolov, Greig, Crookshank, Boucher, Ostapchuk and now Pettersson among others.

The main problem with the prospect pool in my opinion is the lack of high quality d men. The Sens drafted Chabot and Sanderson so those are two very good pieces. In terms of early picks I also like Kleven and Nordberg. Some of the potential misses was in the 2018 draft where we traded back to get JBD and a 2nd round pick to get Tychonick. Tychonick doesn't look like he will be an NHL player at this point, JBD is looking more like a depth guy and the pick we traded would have given us K'Andre Miller. Then a guy like Lassi Thomson is also trending to be more of a depth guy.

If the Sens had some more high quality d prospects in their system it would really help. They need a few more of the ones they have drafted to pan out so that the d core is as good as the forward core.

These guys tried to acquire Tyler Myers lol. They for sure think Luke schenn is a top 4 guys
Well they likely were trying to swap Zaitsev for Myers so that would need to be factored in. That wouldn't simply be trying to add a better d, it would be trying to swap a bad contract for another bad contract while trying to get a better player in the process

Last edited:
Reactions: Cosmix

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
So, not our equivalent then, just one of many pieces we could include in a package that would have to be adjusted to reflect the difference in relative value.

I get Greig is our best fit for them, but perhaps I'm just not as high on Smith as you are, I see him as a heck of a lot closer to JBD or Thomson than Greig, yes he's better than our prospects on D at least for now but aside from the waiver status I see him as pretty similar to Brannstrom, a guy that will bounce between being a 5 and 4 on D.

The waiver status happens to be important to the Pens this year but doesn't add a lot of value under normal circumstances, and personally Id take a late 1st over Smith for example, not that we were or should have been offering our first.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I just find it highly presumptuous that it was Ty Smith or Greig, an no other combination of picks and prospects could have worked from the pens perspective so we needed not only to match and beat the value but also the format of the trade.
Sometimes teams don’t have a trade fit which is the case here. Were we even in on Marino or was Dorion focused elsewhere.

I’m all for criticizing Dorion for not addressing the D last summer but no matter how I look at it we probably wouldn’t have been a fit for the Pens.

I will also make the assumption that any D we were trying to acquire would necessitate Remington Zaitsev either directly or in another deal.

Reactions: bert

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
Are there any other options overseas? KHL or SHL? We got lucky with Zub, maybe there's another capable guy over there.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Sometimes teams don’t have a trade fit which is the case here. Were we even in on Marino or was Dorion focused elsewhere.

I’m all for criticizing Dorion for not addressing the D last summer but no matter how I look at it we probably wouldn’t have been a fit for the Pens.

I will also make the assumption that any D we were trying to acquire would necessitate Remington Zaitsev either directly or in another deal.
Maybe we didn't have a fit, but we're basing that on a bunch of assumptions based on pretty vague comments from Guerin. Meanwhile we have the teams insider suggest we were scared of by the term remaining on his contract.

I'm not blaming Dorion for not trading for him, I just don't buy that the only way we could have is to trade Greig.

Sens Vader

Jan 23, 2016
Luke Schenn is a good dman

I’d take him for sure, wouldn’t have much cost implications on another d acquisition

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Many people are saying that Pinto for Schenn is the deal to make.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Maybe we didn't have a fit, but we're basing that on a bunch of assumptions based on pretty vague comments from Guerin. Meanwhile we have the teams insider suggest we were scared of by the term remaining on his contract.

I'm not blaming Dorion for not trading for him, I just don't buy that the only way we could have is to trade Greig.
Of course there are other appealing assets like 7OA but the prospect cupboard is pretty bare right now. Outside of Greig we have B prospects which is an indictment of Dorion and the scouting staff.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Maybe we should do a prospect swap to get a blue chipper dman prospect? Maybe offer up Greig for someone?

Just not liking our dman future state right now.

Reactions: Cosmix and NB613

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
What lesson did you take away from them? They are all depth d with different issues so I am not sure exactly what you are getting at.

I liked Gudbranson the most from that group but he was asked to take on too big a role here. If he was a bottom pairing guy, I would be happy with that.

I liked Coburn's ability to defend and clear the front of the net, but he was at the very end of his career and had almost no mobility at that point.

Josh Brown was an enforcer who didn't want to be an enforcer, he is a guy that needed to be physical to provide value to the team and wasn't all that physical.

Holden's mobility was a lot better last season and he has been a good locker room guy, this season he is looking more like a 7th d man at best.

Hamonic works hard, blocks shots and provides some physicality. He is being asked to take on too big of a role, but even in a smaller role I'm not sure if he would be the type of player I would target.

Luke Schenn seems more like an ideal target for a 3rd pairing d. He is a big physical shut down d man. We don't have a big physical shut down d man at this point, so I think there is value in having one moving forward.

Luke Schenn is flat out bad. On his best nights he's mediocre.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Are they trying to set the price at some insane height and getting people to meet them in the middle lol

Reactions: NB613
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad