Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals PART XXXXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
You’re a hit at parties aren’t you.
I think its possible to have a discussion and leave the insults at the door, at least with some people. It's not my job to make someone else's posts clear or understandable or feasible enough to warrant discussion. JMHO.

Reactions: bert

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I think its possible to have a discussion and leave the insults at the door, at least with some people. It's not my job to make someone else's posts clear or understandable or feasible enough to warrant discussion. JMHO.
Im not one of those people.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I wouldn't because Bedard has huge potential and can apparently step right into the lineup

I would immediately put Norris and pinto on the block and trade one of them for a young top 4 dman if we got 1st overall
Wonder what pinto could bring back. Wonder if that lowers chychruns price in terms of picks and shit

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Right now is the time to do it. He wont play better than this. He is also healthy. Just getting rid of the contract with no retention is worth its weight in gold.
I don't see why the Karlsson contract even matters to them. The team sucks.

By the time they're coming out of the fog of a rebuild, the contract will be finishing.

If they don't plan to rebuild, which doesn't seem to be the plan even though they do have a lot of term on the books, he's probably the only shot they've got to drag that crappy roster anywhere even remotely respectable.

Just like if we'd had him the last 5 years, it wouldn't have made any difference to anything but Melnyk's bottom line.

Last edited:

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I don't see why the Karlsson contract even matters to them. The team sucks.

By the time they're coming out of the fog of a rebuild, the contract will be finishing.

If they don't plan to rebuild, which doesn't seem to be the plan even though they do have a lot of term on the books, he's probably the only shot they've got to drag that crappy roster anywhere even remotely respectable.

If they are choosing to rebuild this season I doubt they hope to be still sucking 4 years from now.

There would be no reason for them to hold onto a good player that doesn't fit into their long-term plans during their rebuild, especially if they could get some futures in exchange for retaining some salary and/or taking on a bad short-term contract or two.

Reactions: bert

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
If they are choosing to rebuild this season I doubt they hope to be still sucking 4 years from now.

There would be no reason for them to hold onto a good player that doesn't fit into their long-term plans during their rebuild, especially if they could get some futures in exchange for retaining some salary and/or taking on a bad short-term contract or two.
I mean, 4 years is not a long time in a rebuild, especially from the starting point, so I would think that lands right in their trajectory. That's about the standard is it not? We're at year 5 already in another lost season.

I get why they would want to move him as a preference, but I don't see why they would feel significant pressure to give up much to make it happen.

As bad as his contract may be viewed, he's still their best player as of right now, so it's not just lost money either.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I mean, 4 years is not a long time in a rebuild, especially from the starting point, so I would think that lands right in their trajectory. That's about the standard is it not? We're at year 5 already in another lost season.

I get why they would want to move him as a preference, but I don't see why they would feel significant pressure to give up much to make it happen.

As bad as his contract may be viewed, he's still their best player as of right now, so it's not just lost money either.
His value for SJ has never been higher than it is right at this exact moment. Now is the time to trade him to maximize the return.

He’s one injury away from being a massive boat anchor contract again.

If they want to rebuild they need to trade him now in my opinion. He can have the dubious destination of being traded to kick off two complete rebuilds!

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Why would this team trade Pinto?.... That makes absolutely no sense.
Well it was a hypothetical if we get bedard.

We can’t really go bedard stutzle norris pinto down the middle. He could be a trade chip to get a serious d man

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
His value for SJ has never been higher than it is right at this exact moment. Now is the time to trade him to maximize the return.

He’s one injury away from being a massive boat anchor contract again.

If they want to rebuild they need to trade him now in my opinion. He can have the dubious destination of being traded to kick off two complete rebuilds!
Right, and I get all that. If they can get value then now is as good a time as any, plus it helps their tanking. The talk up until recently was paying/neutral to get rid of him whereas now its value coming back, so I guess its changed the situation. I'm just saying that I dont think they have to feel pressure to take a deal they don't like from a contract perspective. His contract won't matter to their operation in the grand scheme of a rebuild, and there shouldn't be urgency to a detriment to shed the contract as the priority, unless the owner is simply looking to shed salary and save money. He'll expire when or before it matters, the cap will go up, and similar to us trying to sign Stone for 5 years, it leaves a good pro to lead and bridge the youth. Also gives fans some appeal to coming out during rebuild years and possibly the team not turning into an unentertaining lump of coal like we had the first 2-3 years of ours.

I think he'll get traded, I just don't see why there'd be urgency to get it off the books, especially considering aav is less than cap and he's their best player.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Right, and I get all that. If they can get value then now is as good a time as any, plus it helps their tanking. The talk up until recently was paying/neutral to get rid of him whereas now its value coming back, so I guess its changed the situation. I'm just saying that I dont think they have to feel pressure to take a deal they don't like from a contract perspective. His contract won't matter to their operation in the grand scheme of a rebuild, and there shouldn't be urgency to a detriment to shed the contract as the priority, unless the owner is simply looking to shed salary and save money. He'll expire when or before it matters, the cap will go up, and similar to us trying to sign Stone for 5 years, it leaves a good pro to lead and bridge the youth. Also gives fans some appeal to coming out during rebuild years and possibly the team not turning into an unentertaining lump of coal like we had the first 2-3 years of ours.

I think he'll get traded, I just don't see why there'd be urgency to get it off the books, especially considering aav is less than cap and he's their best player.
Kind of what I've been saying. If they trade him, its because they are kick starting their rebuild or putting the turbos on to the rebuild and need the best assets they can get to do that.

If they can't get that, then the incentive is reduced a lot. Increased ticket sales with Karlsson in the lineup probably neutralizes or washes out the few million they save by getting rid of EK's salary.

I see the Sharks playing the same game with EK as the Coyotes are playing with Chychrun. I think the difference is that Senator fans are desperate because of where we are in the standings and are hoping for a life saver, and of course because of the sentimental/emotional attachment we have with the player.

JMHO.

Last edited:
Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

We can’t really go bedard stutzle norris pinto down the middle. He could be a trade chip to get a serious d man
I mean they sure could use another center right now. Why not just have lots of good players and find a way to get a d man a different way. Bedard can play wing too if by some sort of miracle they are all healthy.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I mean they sure could use another center right now. Why not just have lots of good players and find a way to get a d man a different way. Bedard can play wing too if by some sort of miracle they are all healthy.
At some point you make a deal from a position of strength to fill a weakness, we can't assume we'll always have a top 6 injured long term ever year...

I don't know what other way we're going to stumble across to get a good D, it seems like we've been searching for one since Chara left the team...

Reactions: Cosmix

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
At some point you make a deal from a position of strength to fill a weakness, we can't assume we'll always have a top 6 injured long term ever year...

I don't know what other way we're going to stumble across to get a good D, it seems like we've been searching for one since Chara left the team...
Well, the best method to get that stud defender in the organization for a long time is by drafting one. But, now we are in that "the rebuild is over" rabbit hole.

It's funny that people say we need good ELCs to fill holes AND the rebuild (by extension, building through the draft) is over simultaneously.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

Probably best to just overpay for one in FA.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Probably best to just overpay for one in FA.
Yes, I'm hoping with new owners (plus GM and management team) we will have deeper pockets and be bigger players in the free agency market.

It's a brave new world if that were to occur and opens up many more possibilities. We'll have another tool in the tool box so to speak versus just trading.

And eventually, if we want to have actual good players to fill holes in the roster, saving our picks so they develop into good ELCs will be necessary.

Last edited:

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Kind of what I've been saying. If they trade him, its because they are kick starting their rebuild or putting the turbos on to the rebuild and need the best assets they can get to do that.

If they can't get that, then the incentive is reduced a lot. Increased ticket sales with Karlsson in the lineup probably neutralizes or washes out the few million they save by getting rid of EK's salary.

I see the Sharks playing the same game with EK as the Coyotes are playing with Chycrun. I think the difference is that Senator fans are desperate because of where we are in the standings and are hoping for a life saver, and of course because of the sentimental/emotional attachment we have with the player.

JMHO.
Yes, i'm sure at this point they're thinking they'll get a decent return and it's changed their plan. I just hope he goes to a team I like and I don't have to cheer against him.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Yes, i'm sure at this point they're thinking they'll get a decent return and it's changed their plan. I just hope he goes to a team I like and I don't have to cheer against him.
They'll probably be lots of articles, speculation and talk about potential trade destinations. Guess we got to get used to it. #315 in the "Could Karlsson come back to Ottawa" thread contains a few of my other thoughts on this subject as well.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site

In this scenario, you trade Norris because he makes $8M and you're now trying to add an established defenceman ($$$) and Bedard (future $$$).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad