Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals PART XXXXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Why would this team trade Pinto?.... That makes absolutely no sense.
It only makes sense if we something of equivalent or greater value back. At this time, Pinto, the rookie, seems to be a 3rd line center with potential to be more.

Well it was a hypothetical if we get bedard.

We can’t really go bedard stutzle norris pinto down the middle. He could be a trade chip to get a serious d man
Pinto and/ or Norris could play wing.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Well it was a hypothetical if we get bedard.

We can’t really go bedard stutzle norris pinto down the middle. He could be a trade chip to get a serious d man
Pinto and/or Norris could play wing.
Well, the best method to get that stud defender in the organization for a long time is by drafting one. But, now we are in that "the rebuild is over" rabbit hole.

It's funny that people say we need good ELCs to fill holes AND the rebuild (by extension, building through the draft) is over simultaneously.
It certainly does not appear that the "rebuild is over" given where we sit in the standings.

Reactions: Sting

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
You got to give to get, I don't see what the hang up is with trading one player for a similar caliber player in another position,

We have Stu, Norris, Greig, and in this hypothetical, Bedard at center, then there's Tkachuk, Batherson, Giroux (for 2 more years after this one) and potentially we'll re-sign DeBrincat on the wings. We've got some depth prospects in guys like Boucher, Sokolov, Ostapchuk, Jarventie Not everyone can fit, but that depth give us the ability to make moves to solidify areas of weakness.

it doesn't have to be Pinto, but I see him among others as very much on the table for the right piece coming back if by some miracle we win the Bedard sweepstakes.
The probability of getting the #1 pick in the draft is only about 25% if the team finishes last in the league, so yes it would be a miracle.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Exactly. And in a pinch he could help in top 6 better than a “brassard / joseph”. Also has benefit of being an RFA in down year, and could be with org long-term.

Feel like a 2nd plus one of Joseph/Watson/Kelly/Holden. Or straight swap for one of JBD or Thomson
I thought Joseph did quite well in the top 6 when he was acquired last season. I don't recall seeing Joseph play much in the top 6 this season, so I don't want to get rid of him at this time. No problem if Watson, Kelly, Gambrel, Holden, Brassard or Zaitsev are traded. Only prospects I would keep would be Grieg, Ostapchuk, JBD and Thomson (and maybe Boucher).

Reactions: NB613

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Yeah Seider or power. Like would you offer it up.

Even first overall I’m curious.
I wouldnt cause we have our two anchors on defense in Chabot and Sanderson

I think we need complimentary D to support those guys. Also Fantelli on a ELC would be sweet

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I'd absolutely take a risk on Poolparty. Dude might be experiencing some mental health stuff that's getting him to question himself. As bad as our management is, they seem to stick up for players and they might help JP address his confidence.

Besides, if we can get him for a low cost, why not, how much worse can we be with him on our third line. Offer Watson and someone like Kelly to get the convo started. Edmonton might bite since Watson provides some toughness that only Nurse currently does and Kelly gives them cost controlled 4th line forward. Holland is a pretty meh gm and trading with Edmonton is one team I would expect Dorion to not get fleeced on.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Turning 26 at the end of January.

At the end of this season, he'll be the same age that Mark Stone was when traded. Many deemed Stone too old to be part of the future here, at the time. Only a couple of good years left, they said.

At the end of next season, he'll be the same age that Karlsson was when traded. Will he have played a playoff game by then? We'll see.

Crazy to think about, right? Time flies.
No one deemed Mark Stone too old. People though his contract might not age well at the back end but that’s not the same thing.

Reactions: DueDiligence

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Why not? Stutzle and Sanderson are 20 the only player over 25 that is part of the core i Giroux.

if we hit on the draft pick and if we use Timmy's development as a reference point whoever we pick is 2.5 ish years away from making a legitimate impact at the very least. If we use that as a guide the players will be the following age and contract term:

Tkachuk: 26, 3 years remaining
Bath: 27, 2 years remaining
Timmy: 23, 5 years remaining
Norris: 26, 5 years remaining
Chabot: 28, 2 years remaining
Sanderson 23, unknown due to not knowing the extension term

So if that is the core, we will have maybe 2 kicks at the can before there is a chance we potentially start losing core pieces. Plus odds are one of those players end up slowing down.

If we get Bedard thats 100% different. I also know that the top 4 of this draft have a lot of hype but i do believe that we should move the pick to try and have 4-5 kicks at the can with current core to either determine if this core can win/be successful in the playoffs(some groups just cant) or if we need a different core down the road

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
if we hit on the draft pick and if we use Timmy's development as a reference point whoever we pick is 2.5 ish years away from making a legitimate impact at the very least. If we use that as a guide the players will be the following age and contract term:

So if that is the core, we will have maybe 2 kicks at the can before there is a chance we potentially start losing core pieces. Plus odds are one of those players end up slowing down.

If we get Bedard thats 100% different. I also know that the top 4 of this draft have a lot of hype but i do believe that we should move the pick to try and have 4-5 kicks at the can with current core to either determine if this core can win/be successful in the playoffs(some groups just cant) or if we need a different core down the road
And have to keep in mind that that draft pick will probably only replace Giroux production, FO wizardry, intangibles so no major upgrade

Reactions: TheNewEra

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
No one deemed Mark Stone too old. People though his contract might not age well at the back end but that’s not the same thing.

And he appears to be slowing down production wise, could be a lot of reasons (injuries, PP time, overall team offends) but he already appears to be slowing down. Smart player but with the speed of the game right now he’ll only fall back from the pack from here on out.

21 points in 29 games, but you’d expect at least a point a game player with the production in the NHL right now. $27 million in signing bonus money this season until the end of his contracts at $9.5 million - big shoes to fill

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
I'd absolutely take a risk on Poolparty. Dude might be experiencing some mental health stuff that's getting him to question himself. As bad as our management is, they seem to stick up for players and they might help JP address his confidence.

Besides, if we can get him for a low cost, why not, how much worse can we be with him on our third line. Offer Watson and someone like Kelly to get the convo started. Edmonton might bite since Watson provides some toughness that only Nurse currently does and Kelly gives them cost controlled 4th line forward. Holland is a pretty meh gm and trading with Edmonton is one team I would expect Dorion to not get fleeced on.
Edmonton would trade Puljuarvi for Watson in a second, IMO.

I think he could be a good add. We wouldn't need to rely on him to play in a scoring role and he is a good possession player... at the very least, I think he can add depth. We have the cap space, which not many teams do, and we also have room to QO him, which even fewer teams do.

I bet Gambrell + 4th or 5th gets it done.

Reactions: bicboi64

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013

I think he could be a good add. We wouldn't need to rely on him to play in a scoring role and he is a good possession player... at the very least, I think he can add depth. We have the cap space, which not many teams do, and we also have room to QO him, which even fewer teams do.

If Gambrell and a 4th gets it done I would be surprised. I know in the offseason they were looking for a 2nd at least. Honestly having Gambrell in the trade makes it less valuable as Edmonton doesn't clear a roster spot and doesn't clear as much cap imo

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
If Gambrell and a 4th gets it done I would be surprised. I know in the offseason they were looking for a 2nd at least. Honestly having Gambrell in the trade makes it less valuable as Edmonton doesn't clear a roster spot and doesn't clear as much cap imo
Gambrell has no impact on cap, he can be sent down with 0 cap hit... at most, he adds ~$150k in salary over their cheapest forward and is a fine depth forward. He isn't too dissimilar from Devin Shore, who plays every night for them.

As for the roster spot, Edmonton has no need to clear a roster spot (they have 7 open contract slots, the 2nd most in the league) and actually do need depth at forward. They currently have a 5'9, undrafted, career 0.5pt per game AHL forward in the lineup... Brad Malone has played a 3rd of their games... their depth is truly atrocious, all the way from their bottom 6 in the NHL through their entire AHL forward lineup.

I suspect Gambrell would be worth approx. a 5th or 6th to them, and more to them than almost any other team in the league. With most other teams, I would be more in agreement with your point, but Edmonton is a rare case.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Sure it clears a roster spot, waive Gambrell. Even if nobody claims him, they can bury him in the AHL, his cap hit is only 950 so 200k would be all that they are on the hook for.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Sure it clears a roster spot, waive Gambrell. Even if nobody claims him, they can bury him in the AHL, his cap hit is only 950 so 200k would be all that they are on the hook for.
If he is in the AHL his caphit is actually $0. You can bury up to $1.125m/contract this season.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Unfortunately that's ottawas real time line to contend. I'm here to win a cup not just be mediocre like the last 15 years.

Reactions: Cosmix

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

Watson & Kelly would be too much for Poolparty. The season is toast so its not like we need him for anything. Part of the value for Edmonton is the cap space they could get. Kelly would be OK. Keep Watson and maybe see if we can get something for him at the TDL.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
If it doesn't cost Watson (whom we can easily get a 5th or 4th for), only Gambrell or Kelly, I'd do it. Low risk move that can help us

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

For Sanderson (a 5th overall), it was one year. Brady (a 4th overall) played for the Senators the same year he was drafted (2018). He did have a few injuries early in first season though. Even Pinto (1st pick of the 2nd round) graduated quickly if you remove the COVID and his injury. Stutzle played in the same year he was drafted.

This is supposed to be a deep draft.

I get your point though. It might take a couple of years or a little longer for a drafted player to graduate to full time NHL play. One variable will be where we draft of course per above.

I do think we need to remember that:
  • Brady's contract is for 5 more years
  • Stutzle's contract is for 8 more years
  • Norris's contract is for 7 more years
  • Batherson's contract is for 4 more years
  • Chabot's contract is for 5 more years.
So, our contention window should be open for a pretty decent amount of time. If we look at our cross province rivals, their 2 top players have been in the league 7 years.

Last edited:

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
watson and Motte for poolparty
Why - for what purpose? Are we trying to salvage the year?

Poolparty is RFA in the summer & is getting paid $3 m.

I'd rather get pick for Watson at the TDL (unless we make a miracle comeback). Even if they're late picks, I'd take a shot at getting lucky.

If he's available for something very minor (almost free), then maybe. Edmonton is saving some cap, that should be what we use to bargain with them.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad