Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals PART XXXXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
okay then sign a free agent for cheap like we did Motte?

this really is not a big issue.

yup and we can afford that. Money is not an issue for improving the blueline
Ya, we sign lots of cheap players. Most of them play like cheap players.

Affording is only part of the equation. Supply and demand. RDs = high demand & low supply. We went down that path for years. I expect you have an easy button at the ready though. LOL.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Pinto for Luke Schenn.
Denzel.gif

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Ya, we sign lots of cheap players. Most of them play like cheap players.

Affording is only part of the equation. Supply and demand. RDs = high demand & low supply. We went down that path for years. I expect you have an easy button at the ready though. LOL.
i mean we saw Marino got for Ty Smith and a pick

you need a GM who can. close down a deal.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I think they would do a straight swap EK + 4M retained for Dcat
Yeah dude. The sharks would definitely do that lol. It’s hilariously lopsided

Need staff and a GM who can identify what a good top 4 rd looks like.

I mean. Brown gudbrannson del zotto Hamonic. It ain’t good

Who’s the dude that said karlsson to Ottawa? On Twitter. Jon Neymar?

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Nothing is going to happen until ownership is resolved
It sounded like the ownership situation could get resolved as earlier as some point in January. I am not sure if there would be absolutely no trades prior to that point but I could see nothing major happening until that is resolved. What could happen is that the Sens could start calling some forwards up from Belleville and if they prove they can steal some roster spots, the Sens might start shipping some of the bottom six players out.

Reactions: Duncstar and NB613

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Did you not learn your lesson with Hamonic, Gudbranson, Couburn, J.Brown and Holden?
What lesson did you take away from them? They are all depth d with different issues so I am not sure exactly what you are getting at.

I liked Gudbranson the most from that group but he was asked to take on too big a role here. If he was a bottom pairing guy, I would be happy with that.

I liked Coburn's ability to defend and clear the front of the net, but he was at the very end of his career and had almost no mobility at that point.

Josh Brown was an enforcer who didn't want to be an enforcer, he is a guy that needed to be physical to provide value to the team and wasn't all that physical.

Holden's mobility was a lot better last season and he has been a good locker room guy, this season he is looking more like a 7th d man at best.

Hamonic works hard, blocks shots and provides some physicality. He is being asked to take on too big of a role, but even in a smaller role I'm not sure if he would be the type of player I would target.

Luke Schenn seems more like an ideal target for a 3rd pairing d. He is a big physical shut down d man. We don't have a big physical shut down d man at this point, so I think there is value in having one moving forward.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
Luke Schenn....I still remember my Leaf fan neighbours in 2008 being super excited about getting the "best defenseman in the draft".

That draft also included Karlsson, Doughty, Pietrangelo and Josi.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Pinto Bean

Sep 13, 2009
Ottawa

Pens had cap issues after signing a few of their players and had to trade someone. Ty Smith was also also a top prospect for a handful of years and had an incredibly promising start to his NHL career until he ran into struggles the season prior to the deal.

I have to imagine Smith was still held in pretty high regard due to his many years of being an incredible prospect. Hindsight makes this deal look worse because we now know that Smith is continuing to struggle & Marino has upped him game.

This wasn't a normal deal and shouldn't be used as a reference for the Sens acquiring a future defensemen. This was entirely circumstantial.

In addition to that, if you really want to compare the Sens and the Marino trade the Sens really don't have a comparable to Smith (a top prospect defensemen who was incredible for multiple post draft seasons and then slumped a year) but the closest one would probably be Greig or Brannstrom but I tend to lean Greig as Brannstrom has been struggling for a handful of years now compared to Smiths 1 year of struggles. Greig is as close to a top prospect as we have and he's been struggling with injury issues so we'd probably have to have given up Greig or someone of that ilk to have been in the discussion for Marino.

Last edited:

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Pens had cap issues after signing a few of their players and had to trade someone. Ty Smith was also also a top prospect for a handful of years and had an incredibly promising start to his NHL career until he ran into struggles the season prior to the deal.

I have to imagine Smith was still held in pretty high regard due to his many years of being an incredible prospect. Hindsight makes this deal look worse because we now know that Smith is continuing to struggle & Marino has upped him game.

This wasn't a normal deal and shouldn't be used as a reference for the Sens acquiring a future defensemen. This was entirely circumstantial.

In addition to that, if you really want to compare the Sens and the Marino trade the Sens really don't have a comparable to Smith (a top prospect defensemen who was incredible for multiple post draft seasons and then slumped a year) but the closest one would probably be Greig or Brannstrom but I tend to lean Greig as Brannstrom has been struggling for a handful of years now compared to Smiths 1 year of struggles. Greig is as close to a top prospect as we have and he's been struggling with injury issues so we'd probably have to have given up Greig or someone of that ilk to have been in the discussion for Marino.
Ty Smith is really not struggling. He’s got 12 points in 21 games on a meh Wilkes-Barre team. I would thing Greig would be our equivalent and to be fair most posters didn’t want Greig included in any deals. How many posters would have been good with a Greig + 3rd for Marino in the summer without hindsight.

Pinto Bean

Sep 13, 2009
Ottawa
Ty Smith is really not struggling. He’s got 12 points in 21 games on a meh Wilkes-Barre team. I would thing Greig would be our equivalent and to be fair most posters didn’t want Greig included in any deals. How many posters would have been good with a Greig + 3rd for Marino in the summer without hindsight.
I mean in a sense you're right that he's playing well.. he's just doing it in the wrong league.

He is struggling in the sense that he went from being in the discussion for the Calder his first year to now being an AHL'er. I think many Pens fans were hoping he'd have a strong showing in camp and make the big club. That is what I mean by struggling. He's went from an NHL'er to now an AHL'er although I do agree it's probably good for his development to get him back on the right track.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I don't see how our equivalent to an undersized one dimensional Dman that isn't lighting it up who's been sent to the AHL as a 22 year old with over 100 NHL games to his name is Greig, but what do I know...

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Ty Smith is closer to Branny than Greig

Regardless I would trade Greig easily in a Chychrun deal

Reactions: NB613

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I mean in a sense you're right that he's playing well.. he's just doing it in the wrong league.

He is struggling in the sense that he went from being in the discussion for the Calder his first year to now being an AHL'er. I think many Pens fans were hoping he'd have a strong showing in camp and make the big club. That is what I mean by struggling. He's went from an NHL'er to now an AHL'er although I do agree it's probably good for his development to get him back on the right track.
Pittsburgh specifically wanted a really good prospect who was waiver exempt so they could stash him in the AHL. They had 9 non waiver exempt D heading into the season and didn’t want to lose another one.

I don't see how our equivalent to an undersized one dimensional Dman that isn't lighting it up who's been sent to the AHL as a 22 year old with over 100 NHL games to his name is Greig, but what do I know...
Whoever Pittsburgh acquired was going to the AHL no matter what.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Ty Smith is closer to Branny than Greig

Regardless I would trade Greig easily in a Chychrun deal
Brannstrom is not waiver exempt and I think Ty Smith had way more value this summer than Brannstrom.

As for Chychrun the ask is apparently still 2 1sts and a high end prospect. Way too much unless you are a Cup contender who’s going to likely be picking in the 24-32 range the next 2 years.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
Ty Smith's value in the summer isnt the same as it is now either. Like GCK said, it was all about being able to send the player to the minors. His value in the summer was probably near Greig's.

Reactions: NB613
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad