Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals PART XXXXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinto Bean

Sep 13, 2009
Ottawa
DeBrincat has a heck of a history and I hope he gets paid as he deserves it. From what I've seen this year, he has been our 4th best forward behind Brady, Timmy, and Claude. I also believe Norris to be more impactful then him (plays the more important position, can take tough matchups, elite shot, etc, etc)

So next season assuming Claude doesn't regress too much, there is a strong possibility that Cat will be our 5th most effective forward. One of which that plays arguably the least important position in the league and he has a real fair shot at requesting to be our highest paid player due to his history.

Regardless of all the lists and the line combos I've seen posted here I have to ask.. WHY would you want to pay 8.5-9M+ for someone who may very well be our 5th most effective forward next season as opposed to allocatning those funds to potentially acquiring & paying a dman who very likely could be our #1 RD or at least a top-4 guy which will have a far greater impact on this team then what very well me our 4th or 5th best forward.

(No disrespect to Cat, he is wonderful and deserves to get paid, I just don't believe it should be here given the current structure of this team)

* And no saying "you can have both" does't change the fact that paying 9M for your 4th-5th best forward is poor money management not to mention how it likely strips our depth to bare bones ahl players and rookies*

Reactions: NB613

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
DeBrincat has a heck of a history and I hope he gets paid as he deserves it. From what I've seen this year, he has been our 4th best forward behind Brady, Timmy, and Claude. I also believe Norris to be more impactful then him (plays the more important position, can take tough matchups, elite shot, etc, etc)

So next season assuming Claude doesn't regress too much, there is a strong possibility that Cat will be our 5th most effective forward. One of which that plays arguably the least important position in the league and he has a real fair shot at requesting to be our highest paid player due to his history.

Regardless of all the lists and the line combos I've seen posted here I have to ask.. WHY would you want to pay 8.5-9M+ for someone who may very well be our 5th most effective forward next season as opposed to allocatning those funds to potentially acquiring & paying a dman who very likely could be our #1 RD or at least a top-4 guy which will have a far greater impact on this team then what very well me our 4th or 5th best forward.

(No disrespect to Cat, he is wonderful and deserves to get paid, I just don't believe it should be here given the current structure of this team)

* And no saying "you can have both" does't change the fact that paying 9M for your 4th-5th best forward is poor money management not to mention how it likely strips our depth to bare bones ahl players and rookies*
Eh its still early to know how good he is. New team and first time being dealt. This is a guy who could be the best goal scorer on this team once he hits his stride. He is also playing with a not so ideal center right now.

Having a strong top 6 is a really good thing to have and the sens can afford it. All the guys you listed bring a different aspect which is great. Someone like Giroux might not lead the team offensively but brings value elsewhere. I think Cats goal scoring will come alive soon

Also 8.5-9mill i think is on the high end of what he ends up getting.

We got ahead of signing guys like Stuztle Norris Brady long term so that we can add quality talent like Cat

Two time 40 goal scorer the guy will figure it out an raise near the top. That forward group has a ton of talent so being in that group is compliments enough

8.5mill is what Forsberg got which is compareable but as a full UFA. I think Cat comes in a bit below that longterm

Last edited:

Pinto Bean

Sep 13, 2009
Ottawa
Eh its still early to know how good he is. New team and first time being dealt. This is a guy who could be the best goal scorer on this team once he hits his stride. He is also playing with a not so ideal center right now.

Having a strong top 6 is a really good thing to have and the sens can afford it. All the guys you listed bring a different aspect which is great. Someone like Giroux might not lead the team offensively but brings value elsewhere. I think Cats goal scoring will come alive soon

Also 8.5-9mill i think is on the high end of what he ends up getting.

We got ahead of signing guys like Stuztle Norris Brady long term so that we can add quality talent like Cat

Two time 40 goal scorer the guy will figure it out an raise near the top. That forward group has a ton of talent so being in that group is compliments enough
It is still too early I agree, but it's all I can go off of for now. He hasn't really meshed well with anyone yet though.

Having a strong top-6 is a really good thing but not when your defence, bottom-6 and extras are literally horrible/below-average and need as much funds/help they can get. That's where my issue lies really. When the rest of the team is pretty solidly below-average I just don't see much of a point to allocate so much of the cap to what's already a position of strength (the top-6/wingers)

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
People are forgetting DeBrincat was on the 2nd PP before Norris got injured.

He's a great player but there isn't actually a tremendous need for him on this roster, at least not enough to justify a 8.5-9M long-term deal IMO.

Once we get a competent coaching staff in place we shouldn't have too much of a problem scoring goals between Stutzle, Tkachuk, Batherson, Norris, Giroux and Pinto. Greig is going to be a good player too.

It's obvious we desperately need a top 4 D and there are questions in goal beyond this season if Talbot doesn't re-sign.

We'd be better off trading him, replacing him with a much cheaper LW and allocating the money towards the D and goaltending positions.

I'm not buying that we'll be a team that spends right up to the cap even with new ownership, at least until we have a downtown arena and the attendance issues are fixed as a result, especially if the cap jumps significantly over the next two years.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
It is still too early I agree, but it's all I can go off of for now. He hasn't really meshed well with anyone yet though.

Having a strong top-6 is a really good thing but not when your defence, bottom-6 and extras are literally horrible/below-average and need as much funds/help they can get. That's where my issue lies really. When the rest of the team is pretty solidly below-average I just don't see much of a point to allocate so much of the cap to what's already a position of strength (the top-6/wingers)
Cat hasn't really had a top 6 center to play with yet. Norris barely lasted due to injury and rn he is playing with Pinto who is not ready for a top 6 role. Brassard is not really nhl caliber either.

The rest of the team is not poor due to money though. Its poor due to our GM not adding a defensemen and spending money on poor players like MDZ, Hamonic, Gudbranson, Zaitsev etc

Our bottom 6 had Paul Formenton and Brown who are all gone and not due to the cap as we are now paying Joseph similar money and have cap space to retain Brown.

All the top teams rely on cheap contracts and good drafting to fill none core roles

People are forgetting DeBrincat was on the 2nd PP before Norris got injured.

He's a great player but there isn't actually a tremendous need for him on this roster, at least not enough to justify a 8.5-9M long-term deal IMO.

Once we get a competent coaching staff in place we shouldn't have too much of a problem scoring goals between Stutzle, Tkachuk, Batherson, Norris, Giroux and Pinto. Greig is going to be a good player too.

It's obvious we desperately need a top 4 D and there are questions in goal beyond this season if Talbot doesn't re-sign.

We'd be better off trading him, replacing him with a much cheaper LW and allocating the money towards the D and goaltending positions.

I'm not buying that we'll be a team that spends right up to the cap even with new ownership, at least until we have a downtown arena and the attendance issues are fixed as a result, especially if the cap jumps significantly over the next two years.
eh Giroux also did not start on the top unit which does not mean much. DJ was trying to create two units while giving his guys from last year a chance.

Start of the season placement does not really matter esp when you are one of the worst teams in the league. If anything it might show that those decisions were not the best ones

The Sens will probably lose Giroux in 2 years so keeping Cat is important. We can afford to add a defensemen. This is not a money issue. Its a GM trying to find a guy issue and having an anchor of a contract in Z

I suspect Z will be moved for two 2nds or something when we actually add another defensemen. Don't think that will be a huge issue

Reactions: Cosmix

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Relying on cheap ELC or cheap vets is the nature of the beast in the cap world

Yes you are more susceptible to injury but thats why good drafting is key for good team
Yes, this is true. Its also gets progressively harder and harder to do this if you trade them away. We have a recent example with the Debrincat trade. It cost a 1st (7th overall), a 2nd & a 3rd. Of course, it was exciting to get Debrincat, but there definitely was a cost. Hard to fill roster holes with good, inexpensive ELCs if they've been traded away.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Yes, this is true. Its also gets progressively harder and harder to do this if you trade them away. We have a recent example with the Debrincat trade. It cost a 1st (7th overall), a 2nd & a 3rd. Of course, it was exciting to get Debrincat, but there definitely was a cost. Hard to fill roster holes with good, inexpensive ELCs if they've been traded away.
we have wasted a lot of picks in trades but Debrincat is not one of them

We have a good selection of prospects who can fill roles in the bottom 6. Also there will be cheap contracts available at. the end of UFA

If the team is good those guys will come

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
With Karlsson we are a Cup contender. Without Kalrsson we are a bottom
NHL team.

I know what i’d do:

Ott: EK
SJ: Debrincat, Thomson, Zaitsev (salary dump)

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
NHL team.

I know what i’d do:

if you really want karl then go for double retention and spend prospects and picks to get karls salary to 5mill

allows you to keep Cat

Reactions: Cosmix

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
we have wasted a lot of picks in trades but Debrincat is not one of them

We have a good selection of prospects who can fill roles in the bottom 6. Also there will be cheap contracts available at. the end of UFA

If the team is good those guys will come
Picks yes. But all picks are not created equal. 1st rounders and 7th overalls are different than rounds 2 and below. Hence, the rational behind my post.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Looking at the spreadsheet, Sanderson at $8.5M AAV seems too high to me at that point in time.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Picks yes. But all picks are not created equal. 1st rounders and 7th overalls are different than rounds 2 and below. Hence, the rational behind my post.
trading 7th overall last year won't make or break our depth

esp when Cat makes our top 6 much much stronger.

Motte would be on our 2nd line otherwise then we even less depth

Looking at the spreadsheet, Sanderson at $8.5M AAV seems too high to me at that point in time.
i agree i dont think he gets that right off the bat

Makar comes in at 9mill

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

esp when Cat makes our top 6 much much stronger.

Motte would be on our 2nd line otherwise then we even less depth

i agree i dont think he gets that right off the bat

Makar comes in at 9mill
I hope we sign Formenton for the 3rd line and get rid of some (3) of the 4th liners and AHL level players on this roster: Brassard, Kelly, Motte, Gambrell, Watson. I would keep Kastelic for the 4th line and would like to add a big tough policeman.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
What I stated in #308 was if we keep trading the high picks away. The current summer was an "example" of the cost that was involved.

So, under those circumstances, it would be really hard to expect that we would be very likely to have good ELC players to fill holes.

Some people like to build primarily through drafting, while some people like to buy or trade and seem to talk about it a lot. Its not to say thet a trade isn't "one of" the tools in the toolbox. But, timing is important. I think we can figure out who fits in what category. It gets to a point when you really can't do both.

Last edited:

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
What I stated in #4308 was if we keep trading the high picks away. The current summer was an "example".

So, under those circumstances, it would be really hard to expect that we would be very likely to have good ELC players to fill holes.

Some people like to build primarily through drafting, while some people like to buy or trade and seem to talk about it a lot. I think we can figure out who fits in what category. It gets to a point when you really can't do both.
good teams build off the drat, trades and signings

sens are decent at drafting so i wouldnt worry about that

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
NHL team.

I know what i’d do:

People on this board overpaying for the sake of overpaying

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
People on this board overpaying for the sake of overpaying

Really, a small top 6 forward and a Dman drafted 4 ywars ago whos -7 in 18 AHL games you think is an overpayment for the top scoriing Dman in the NHL and a legend. Mmmkay

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
I'm thinking that Pinto and Sanderson are gonna come in much cheaper than people are expecting.

Pinto isn't going to score/pace 40 goals this year like Norris (around 25 maybe?), and Sanderson is going to slot behind Chabot likely at least the next two seasons. I also think Batherson's contract works against Pinto as well.

$4m and $6m AAV contracts over 5 years respectively?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad