Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals PART XXXXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I think we're playing a dangerous game by assuming the new owners will be maxing out the cap. New pockets may be deep, but they'll be tossing out well over one billion dollars to buy the team and get the construction of the new arena going. Plus, we are more than 1 player away from being a playoff team, let alone a contender.

As for Cat, I like him. I really do. But throwing a significant amount of money into our 1LW and 2LW positions...that's really dangerous. I'll pay a bit more money to the top centers, and top RDs, because those positions are really hard to get top quality. LWs are so common you can shake a few tress and a few will fall onto your lap. Paying Brady a kings ransom is more than enough investment in that position. Cat is a luxury....unless he's willing to take one hell of a big pay cut on his next deal.

Ideally, we re-sign Zub, and get a legit 1RD. We can live with scrubs on the third pairing (like most teams). I would expect the acquisition will be the type that is like Zub, but slightly better (so, not a $10 mil quality guy). Then let the rest of the team grow a bit and see what happens.
i did the math above

you can sign both Cat and get another RD and sign Zub

Having cat is not a luxury. You are acting like our team is good and is about to sign a complimentary player. Most good teams have a very good 2nd line. We already have our centers sign long term so we don;t need to worry about that

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
To me there are two scenarios where Ottawa could acquire Kane.

In one you drain the cupboard (1st, Grieg, Kleven, plus) or the other you give an already established player with a lesser asset. To me Bath is the odd man out with Kane - he’d be on the 3rd line.
Yeah neither those two scenarios appeal to me personally

Reactions: Alex1234

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
i did the math above

Having cat is not a luxury. You are acting like our team is good and is about to sign a complimentary player. Most good teams have a very good 2nd line. We already have our centers sign long term so we don;t need to worry about that

I'm thinking more in general regarding the centers. Ideally, I'd put a greater percentage of our cap into centers and RD than I would for the LW position. We do have the centers set, but RD could be completely empty if we don't get Zub signed. Team isn't going anywhere like that, no matter what kind of forward core we have.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
i did the math above

Having Cat at whatever his next salary will be when we already have 3 legitimate top 6 wingers is absolutely a luxury. Wingers are the easiest positions to fill as well and we have forward prospects that can be eased into the 2LW spot since we have offensive depth as oppose to our defensive prospects.

Look at the division leaders so far, each of them have more balanced rosters than us even in their top 6.

NJD have Bratt, Tatar, Haula and Mercer
Bruins have Pasta, Marchand, Hall and DeBrusk
Knights have Stone, Smith, Marchessault, Carrier
Stars have Robertson, Pavelski, Marchment and Benn

Good teams have a great 2nd line, but not many good teams need two $8+ million guys on their second line, especially when their defense is one RD away from being so trash. Having Zub isn't enough, another top4 RD and some more depth in our bottom 6 would make us a better team than just keeping Cat and relying on a Zub extension

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
i did the math above

You didn’t do the math for next year, it’s not pretty.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I think we're playing a dangerous game by assuming the new owners will be maxing out the cap. New pockets may be deep, but they'll be tossing out well over one billion dollars to buy the team and get the construction of the new arena going. Plus, we are more than 1 player away from being a playoff team, let alone a contender.

As for Cat, I like him. I really do. But throwing a significant amount of money into our 1LW and 2LW positions...that's really dangerous. I'll pay a bit more money to the top centers, and top RDs, because those positions are really hard to get top quality. LWs are so common you can shake a few tress and a few will fall onto your lap. Paying Brady a kings ransom is more than enough investment in that position. Cat is a luxury....unless he's willing to take one hell of a big pay cut on his next deal.

Ideally, we re-sign Zub, and get a legit 1RD. We can live with scrubs on the third pairing (like most teams). I would expect the acquisition will be the type that is like Zub, but slightly better (so, not a $10 mil quality guy). Then let the rest of the team grow a bit and see what happens.
The new owners would have to have really deep pockets to buy the team, build the arena and spend to the cap for a few years. I doubt we get that lucky.

A top quality center is what we need and then move Norris to the wing. Then get a top RD.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
The new owners would have to have really deep pockets to buy the team, build the arena and spend to the cap for a few years. I doubt we get that lucky.

A top quality center is what we need and then move Norris to the wing. Then get a top RD.

This is the expectation.

If you are already spending big bucks you aren't halfwaying this.

There is going to be a consortium of a billionaire + multi millionaires buying the team + a least 25% of the arena being publicly funded.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
He wouldn't be a solution to the top 4 d we need but Luke Schenn would be a nice depth addition.

What happened on here in the last 2 days that we are now at let's trade for Luke schenn lmao

We have been bargain hunting for defenceman for thr last few years but sure Luke schenn

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016

Leverage.

If theyre "spending" 1 billion of their own money then they're borrowing another 4 to 19 billion.

That's quite the arena.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Debrincat, Cahbot, Batherson... can't wait to see the next target.
On the other side of the (trade) ledger there's Kane, Parayko & Karlsson. I'm sure I missed a few. We've been flailing about in here lately.

In fairness though, Debrincat usually comes up in trade discussions for a good RD. That may be necessary for those paying attention (not many it seems) to the cap situation (in 2024-25).

Last edited:
Reactions: Pinto Bean

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
On the other side of the (trade) ledger there's Kane, Parayko & Karlsson. I'm sure I missed a few. We've been flailing about in here lately.

In fairness though, Debrincat usually comes up in trade discussions for a good RD. That may be necessary for those paying attention (not many it seems) to the cap situation (in 2024-25).
looks like you arent paying attention

I did the math in post #212 in this thread

Cat can be signed and we can get a 5 mill defensemen on rd while keeping Zub

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly said on Wednesday that he is optimistic the league’s salary cap will rise significantly after the 2023-24 season, a year ahead of previous forecasts.
chychrun playing really well
very. good player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad