Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals PART XXXXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
He definitely doesnt replace the physicality. He's just a warm body.
The descriptions I have read of Gauthier include adjectives like "big" and "fast"; but also "soft" and "defensive liability". This appears to be a "nothing burger" trade. I don't see any value in it.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Would do that for Peeke alone, probably more
I like Ostapchuk more than most, but he's likely toping out as a 3rd liner, no doubt we'd trade him and a 4th for Peeke, he's not the guy I really want for the top 4 but even if you play him on the third pair you aren't overpaying.

That said, we need to fit everything under the cap.

If we decide to run with Sogaard and Forsberg next year, sign DeBrincat at 8.5, bridge Pinto at 3, and extend Brannstrom, and JBD to deals that are close to what they currently get with asmall raise, fill in the rest with ELC like Thomson, Crookshank and Sokolov, we end up about 850k over the cap, add Peeke and it's 3.6 mil. Moving Zaitsev is the obvious answer, but that only gets us ~900k in room for injury callups.

If we can shave off a bit from Pinto and DeBrincat extensions great, moving Joseph and running with another ELC works too but we are really tight next year. Odds are Dorion or whoever is in charge won't be happy to go with Sogaard and Forsberg as our goaltending either.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
If we trade batherson I will riot. We all saw what he was able to put together last year, he has the talent and will put it together again. Don't sell low.
I agree with the "Don't sell low" angle; however, if we could get a top pair RD, I would make the trade.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
The descriptions I have read of Gauthier include adjectives like "big" and "fast"; but also "soft" and "defensive liability". This appears to be a "nothing burger" trade. I don't see any value in it.
Theres not much value, but there's clearly some. Warm body, cost controlled, acquired for a guy we were going to lose.

If Gauthier can play 20 good games for us next year, the trade is a win.

Reactions: NB613 and aragorn

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
DJ has definitely not been tuned out, otherwise that would show in effort on the ice.
Good coaches should have chats with their players (individually, small groups and full team) to get input for potential changes to tactics and strategy. Makes sense to me.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
I like Ostapchuk more than most, but he's likely toping out as a 3rd liner, no doubt we'd trade him and a 4th for Peeke, he's not the guy I really want for the top 4 but even if you play him on the third pair you aren't overpaying.

If we decide to run with Sogaard and Forsberg next year, sign DeBrincat at 8.5, bridge Pinto at 3, and extend Brannstrom, and JBD to deals that are close to what they currently get with asmall raise, fill in the rest with ELC like Thomson, Crookshank and Sokolov, we end up about 850k over the cap, add Peeke and it's 3.6 mil. Moving Zaitsev is the obvious answer, but that only gets us ~900k in room for injury callups.

If we can shave off a bit from Pinto and DeBrincat extensions great, moving Joseph and running with another ELC works too but we are really tight next year. Odds are Dorion or whoever is in charge won't be happy to go with Sogaard and Forsberg as our goaltending either.
Bridging Pinto should not cost much.

Barrett Hayton got 2x1.75m after similar production & a similar role.
Lundestrom got 2x1.6m.
Rob Thomas got 2x2.8m after posting 87pts in 169 games.

I think Pinto gets closer to 2m on a bridge.

Reactions: NB613 and Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I genuinely don't understand what Sokolov has shown that people think we can just pencil him into the lineup for the rest of the season.
While I do not think Sokolov will become a valuable NHL player due to his slowness, I think we need to give him a chance to see what he can do. I have no problem brining him up at or after the TDL.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Bridging Pinto should not cost much.

Barrett Hayton got 2x1.75m after similar production & a similar role.
Lundestrom got 2x1.6m.
Rob Thomas got 2x2.8m after posting 87pts in 169 games.

I think Pinto gets closer to 2m on a bridge.
Fair enough, I was going for more than two years but we probably go shorter term since we're in a bind, still only adds a mil, tight times ahead.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Fair enough, I was going for more than two years but we probably go shorter term since we're in a bind, still only adds a mil, tight times ahead.
Next year will be very tough, that's for sure. I think that makes a strong end to this season all the more important... since we likely won't be able to ice a significantly better roster.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I hate that he’s big but won’t crush people

Reactions: Cosmix

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Next year will be very tough, that's for sure. I think that makes a strong end to this season all the more important... since we likely won't be able to ice a significantly better roster.
We can go down the road of, it will be a stronger roster based solely on getting Norris for a full season, but I'm afraid that will just mean some other important cog will go down to a long term injury again...

Would love to see what we can do a mostly healthy season...

Tkachuk-Norris-Joseph
DeBrincat-Stützle-Giroux
Greig-Pinto-Batherson
Kelly-Kastelic-Gauthier

Chabot-Zub
Sanderson-Peeke
Brannstrom-JBD

Forsberg
Soogaard

extra: Thomson, Crookshank

Trade: futures for Peeke
Re-sign DeBrincat @8, Pinto@2, [email protected], Brannstrom @1.2

Gives us 2.4 in cap room, uncertainty in net, not a lot of depth in case of injuries.

Alternatively we can trade DeBrincat in the summer and get a bit better depth or a really high end RHD for the backend, or pickup up a starter in nets.

Reactions: NB613

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
I read a random tweet from some person on the internet - now take that with a grain of salt - but this tweet said Friedman believes Kane’s asking price is less than a 1st.

Less than a 1st for Patrick Kane.

Every time I see a butterfly I whisper Patrick Kane to the Ottawa Senators’ - If you can’t find a butterfly, moth’s make a great substitute!

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
I read a random tweet from some person on the internet - now take that with a grain of salt - but this tweet said Friedman believes Kane’s asking price is less than a 1st.

Less than a 1st for Patrick Kane.

Every time I see a butterfly I whisper Patrick Kane to the Ottawa Senators’ - If you can’t find a butterfly, moth’s make a great substitute!

Unless Kane is telling Chicago that he's only going to waive his NMC for one team and that team knows it, I can't see him getting any less than a 1st

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
Tampa a couple scouts today? I want purbix.

Oh?

Unless Kane is telling Chicago that he's only going to waive his NMC for one team and that team knows it, I can't see him getting any less than a 1st

Maybe his hip issues are a serious issue? I doubt that’s the asking cost but I’d spend a 2nd round pick to get DeBrincat going at this point. And Kane does that plus pot 10 goals, provide some stabilizing leadership and an inspirational speech or two.

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
Oh?

Maybe his hip issues are a serious issue? I doubt that’s the asking cost but I’d spend a 2nd round pick to get DeBrincat going at this point. And Kane does that plus pot 10 goals, provide some stabilizing leadership and an inspirational speech or two.
Cat having a slow season may be a good for us?

If he scores 40+ he is going to cost $9 + Mil. , Maybe we can get him at bargain rate. He will probably score 30 this year which is what we rewarded the core with $8 mil + contracts.

Slow start, injuries, defense and goaltending all account for a rough start for everyone. I think everyone could be head by 10 points at least by now. Except Zaitsev!

Hun

Apr 8, 2019

And sign Sanderson in 2024. The only (and safest) option is to trade Chabot.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Cat having a slow season may be a good for us?

If he scores 40+ he is going to cost $9 + Mil. , Maybe we can get him at bargain rate. He will probably score 30 this year which is what we rewarded the core with $8 mil + contracts.

Slow start, injuries, defense and goaltending all account for a rough start for everyone. I think everyone could be head by 10 points at least by now. Except Zaitsev!

His qualifying offer is $9 mil, if I'm reading CF right. Why would he accept anything less than that?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
His qualifying offer is $9 mil, if I'm reading CF right. Why would he accept anything less than that?
There's a deadline to accept your QO, he has about two weeks after he gets it to decide whether he want to just sign the QO. So if he wants to sign with term, the QO becomes less meaningful even if we can't come to terms with him since the deadline is likely to have passed.

Once the deadline to accept qualifying offers passes, it becomes meaningless. He can then negotiate with us or hold out for an offer sheet but the 9 mil QO is no longer an option.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
All of this DeBrincat instability makes me uneasy. Maybe we should do something to help insulate him here, say I dunno, trade for his best friend? :naughty:

But seriously, we could use someone like that in our top 6 to help keep Batherson in the bottom 6 where his lack of defensive prowess can be hidden.

And I think we could snag Roy from LA. They’ve been rumoured to be interested both Talbot and Watson so maybe a package of of Talbot (50% retained), Watson and a 2nd gets the conversion rolling.

Last edited:

Sens Vader

Jan 23, 2016
Who would people rather have between Weegar and Parayko

same age, similar salary. Both available

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad