Not open for further replies.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
Who would people rather have between Weegar and Parayko

same age, similar salary. Both available

Neither? Can that be an option?

Weegar doesn’t want to be here and I doubt Parayko would either. Weegar’s contract could be an albatross the last 3-4 seasons and Parayko has back issues (see Mark Stone).

I’d look for a lesser name RD to compliment Chabot. Whitecloud, Roy, Shattenkirk would be my shortlist.

Reactions: Skid

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

Both would be nice, but Weegar at $6.25 m and Parayko at $6.5 m are not options if we plan resigning Debrincat and an inexpensive 2nd goaltender ($2 m ish range). This assumes the cap ceiling is $83.5 m next year.

Its also worth noting that Parayko is 29 now and is signed through to the end of the 2027-28 season.

Also, not sure which of those players are "available" as both Weegar & Parayko have NTCs, but it could be academic with the cap squeeze we would face next season if its $83.5 m.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Imagine a PP with Norris and DB on opposite wings, blasting 1-timers at will. That's the kind of special teams advantage you pay a premium for.
Given how well our PP is going, I suspect we'd be better off setting up unit two with him

PP1
.........Tkachuk
Debrincat-Stutzle-Batherson
..........Chabot

PP2
,.........Greig
Pinto-Giroux-Norris
......Sanderson

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Given how well our PP is going, I suspect we'd be better off setting up unit two with him

PP1
.........Tkachuk
Debrincat-Stutzle-Batherson
..........Chabot

PP2
,.........Greig
Pinto-Giroux-Norris
......Sanderson
I think I would move Batherson down to PP2 to have a guy who can pass through the seams and to stretch the PK. Everything moves through Stutzle on PP1 and I think it could be sort of the same thing with Batherson on PP2.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think I would move Batherson down to PP2 to have a guy who can pass through the seams and to stretch the PK. Everything moves through Stutzle on PP1 and I think it could be sort of the same thing with Batherson on PP2.
I mean, he's currently leading the team in PP goals, hard to pull him off a top unit when he's clearly working where he is.

If/when the PP starts struggling for more than a game or two, I think we can start talking about mixing things up, but if it ain't broke....

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Imagine a PP with Norris and DB on opposite wings, blasting 1-timers at will. That's the kind of special teams advantage you pay a premium for.

That would mean Stutzle is either playing down low in Batherson's role or is on the 2nd PP, which is a waste of his talent.

There's really only one spot on the top PP for a shooter.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
I mean, he's currently leading the team in PP goals, hard to pull him off a top unit when he's clearly working where he is.

If/when the PP starts struggling for more than a game or two, I think we can start talking about mixing things up, but if it ain't broke....
Ok but the guy swapping in for him was T3 in the league for PPG last year. You don't think that guy should be on the top PP unit?

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
That would mean Stutzle is either playing down low in Batherson's role or is on the 2nd PP, which is a waste of his talent.

There's really only one spot on the top PP for a shooter.
With Norris and DB on the walls, it's going to open up a lot of space in the middle for a guy like Stutzle to shoot/pass or to get on rebounds from the big shots coming from the flanks. That leaves Tkachuk down low to clean up rebounds around the crease, to screen goalies, to retrieve pucks and to create havoc around the net. Batherson on PP2 offers a really high end passer on a unit that lacks some of that skillset.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Ok but the guy swapping in for him was T3 in the league for PPG last year. You don't think that guy should be on the top PP unit?
No it’s working fine with Timmy in that spot on the half wall. Batherson plays in the bumper spot. Batherson is 10th this year in PPG.
If you move Bath down , one of Timmy or Norris have to be the bumper.

The unit as is with no Norris playing has been running third or second in the league.

Reactions: Alex1234

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I'd rather go with the PP unit on the team that currently has the 2nd most PP goals in the league, than change things up so that we can put on the guy who had the third most PPG on the 20th ranked pp team last year.

The truth is Norris's 16 pp goals is better that the 13 Batherson is pacing at in the same number of games, but the PP isn't forcing things the way it did last year and the result is a more spread out offense that's harder to defend. Batherson can pass or score, Norris is more of a pure shooter.

Any way you look at it, it's a good problem to have, I just never get the rush to change the PP, all year long we've had people saying we need to get this guy off it, or that guy on it, meanwhile the guys we have on it just keep producing.

Grass is always greener I guess...

SensFan1010

Dec 18, 2019
I truly believe Chuk and batherson might be the best players in the league at playing the front of the next and bumper position on the pp

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Interesting fact, all four forwards on the #1 pp unit have 22 pp pts, Chabot has 16.

Unit two is mostly runs through Giroux who has 19 pts, more than double the next closest forward but that's in part because pp toi drops pretty quick after Giroux.

Reactions: NB613

Salva Mea

Apr 4, 2018
if before deadline situation will be same like today, sens bying or selling ? :d..

4-5 point range.. dont think we lost next 4 games.. it means situation anyway will be same like today or more good.. point is its enough for dorion go to all in.. ?

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
if before deadline situation will be same like today, sens bying or selling ? :d..

4-5 point range.. dont think we lost next 4 games.. it means situation anyway will be same like today or more good.. point is its enough for dorion go to all in.. ?

Depends on the next 4 games ultimately. We play Friday/Saturday on the road against Carolina and Montreal then Monday/Tuesday at home vs. Detroit.

If we can get 6+ points I think we’re buyers.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton

I'd pick Parayko, he's the exact type of player we need and is worth the risk given how he's been an elite shut down defender in the past prior to his injuries. He can still be that for us. He's currently better than Hamonic, so that's enough for me. The term is long, but its nice to have someone signed long term that can give us security on D.

NB613

Jul 26, 2013
Ottawa
I'd pick Parayko, he's the exact type of player we need and is worth the risk given how he's been an elite shut down defender in the past prior to his injuries. He can still be that for us. He's currently better than Hamonic, so that's enough for me. The term is long, but its nice to have someone signed long term that can give us security on D.
Agreed - would think that theres some salary retention (likely minimal) involved if we trade.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Parayko is 29 years old, 6'6" and 230 Lbs; plays RD. Has the size we need. His contract has 7 more seasons to go at an AAV cap hit of $6.5M. His salary starts at $8M for the next 3 seasons and then drops off thereafter.

What would he cost to acquire? A 1st round pick + ?

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
Parayko is 29 years old, 6'6" and 230 Lbs; plays RD. Has the size we need. His contract has 7 more seasons to go at an AAV cap hit of $6.5M. His salary starts at $8M for the next 3 seasons and then drops off thereafter.

What would he cost to acquire? A 1st round pick + ?

One or two of our top three prospects outside the NHL, a young roster player and a 1st.

Tyler Kleven, Zack Ostapchuk, JBD, 1st in with 23’ or 24’

Would be my guess. Considering his term, position and pedigree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad