Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals PART XXXXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

I'm ok with this playing out that way, but I don't think you should be ever saying never.

Doubt he'd return too much much but I'd still flip him, not sure what we're doing here, he's been a great role model, sure, but how much more are we getting from him in the final 20 games...

Again, not surprising seeing as Brass likely wouldn't return much, from the human perspective I think it's potentially a really rewarding scenario to play your 1000th career game in essentially your home town, so I hope it does go down this way for him.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I'm ok with this playing out that way, but I don't think you should be ever saying never.

Doubt he'd return too much much but I'd still flip him, not sure what we're doing here, he's been a great role model, sure, but how much more are we getting from him in the final 20 games...

Again, not surprising seeing as Brass likely wouldn't return much, from the human perspective I think it's potentially a really rewarding scenario to play your 1000th career game in essentially your home town, so I hope it does go down this way for him.
Not about being surprising.. just helps set expectations on what their thinking is currently.
We can expect DBC to still be here along with Hamonic and Brass is about all it says to me.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
This organization being obsessed with Hamonic is one of the most frustrating parts of this season in all honesty. The fact they (seemingly) aren't even going to entertain offers seems kind of insane from an outside perspective.

There's also the possibility there was zero market for him, but personally I find that hard to believe despite his warts.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
This organization being obsessed with Hamonic is one of the most frustrating parts of this season in all honesty. The fact they (seemingly) aren't even going to entertain offers seems kind of insane from an outside perspective.

There's also the possibility there was zero market for him, but personally I find that hard to believe despite his warts.
Assuming you trade him, who takes his spot?

Reactions: Ice-Tray

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Assuming you trade him, who takes his spot?

Ideally JBD and/or Thomson get some reps to end the year so the team knows what they have in them before they are waiver eligible. I'd also have zero issue playing Larsson or Heatherington in spot duty down the stretch.

There's also the option to test drive someone that isn't Hamonic, but I also realize that option is more polarizing.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

They are still eyeing the possibility of leap frogging into a WC spot. They are weak at RD .. If they believe they are out of it .. he could get moved for what a 4th? if teams have them otherwise they may upgrade that to a 3rd. They may keep him and resign him as a depth D on a reduced contract. Either way unless you want to collect picks, which given the state of the prospect pool isn't a terrible idea.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Not about being surprising.. just helps set expectations on what their thinking is currently.
We can expect DBC to still be here along with Hamonic and Brass is about all it says to me.
Yep, I think moving DBC makes the most sense in the offseason as it increases the potential number of suitors, so no problems there with their thinking even if I'd never close the door,

I am annoyed about Hamonic though, not that I think we must move him, I just think we should certainly explore it and the rationale for keeping him has me shaking my head.

I think Dorion hasn't given up hope for the playoffs yet, might change by the deadline but right now he's still holding out hope imo...

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
They are still eyeing the possibility of leap frogging into a WC spot. They are weak at RD .. If they believe they are out of it .. he could get moved for what a 4th? if teams have them otherwise they may upgrade that to a 3rd. They may keep him and resign him as a depth D on a reduced contract.

That's exactly my fear if they've already committed to keeping him.

The 3rd/4th/whatever isn't the issue as much as the possibility of Dorion extending him and stapling him to Sanderson as long as he has the keys to the franchise.

Reactions: TheNewEra

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
That's exactly my fear if they've already committed to keeping him.

The 3rd/4th/whatever isn't the issue as much as the possibility of Dorion extending him and stapling him to Sanderson as long as he has the keys to the franchise.
I don't think we see the stapling beyond this year... We should not .. It should not be the plan to have Hamonic continue in the top 4

Reactions: Cosmix and DrEasy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think it shouldn't be the plan to have him on this roster anymore, but it's not the first time I've disagreed with Dorion and it certainly won't be the last.
Thats fair... If he had a top4 RD and he slotted in on the 3rd pair... more where he belongs I think he'd be ok; expensive for that but ok

Too much money for 2 3rd pair RDs right now.

Reactions: Alex1234

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Ideally JBD and/or Thomson get some reps to end the year so the team knows what they have in them before they are waiver eligible. I'd also have zero issue playing Larsson or Heatherington in spot duty down the stretch.

There's also the option to test drive someone that isn't Hamonic, but I also realize that option is more polarizing.
I think the team knows they have 2 guys who haven't developed enough for their liking this year, to make the jump from AHL to NHL. I've watched both fairly closely this year, when they've played, and have not really been too impressed with either one. There's definitely flashes of what we hope they'll be but it's too infrequent at this point.

Even still, assume you put JBD in the lineup and remove Hamonic. He has to play top pair for it to make sense. You can't pair him with Sanderson, so second pairing is out. If you put him on the bottom pairing, you still have a hole at RD2. Keep in mind, wherever you put JBD determines where you put Zaitsev. The math isn't favourable and Sanderson/Hamonic has worked fairly well this year.

If there's another deal in place where you get a guy and can shuttle off Hamonic and Zaitsev, sign me up yesterday.

Reactions: aragorn

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
An interesting option is Larkin, I dont think he stays in detroit this year and the only way Id be willing to part with Debrincat is if we got him. IMO though Id try to hold on to debrincat at all costs
Larkin ask 9m. I prefer giving this to DeBrincat

Reactions: Relapsing

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
At this point, I'd be happy to let the kids play. The guys want to show us what they're made of and what this group can do....so do it. This is the test, from now til the end of the year. If they fail, we can re-evaluate and make changes in the summer. Hopefully with new owners and new eyes in management.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus

In other words, there are no takers for these jabronies, with the Cat a discussion in the summer when new ownership is in.

Reactions: bicboi64

Sens Vader

Jan 23, 2016
Friedman said there are more rumblings about Seth Jones,

Don't know how we make the cap work but I think Ottawa has been scouting quite a few Chicago games, and we were linked to him in the summer

Last edited:
Reactions: NB613

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think the team knows they have 2 guys who haven't developed enough for their liking this year, to make the jump from AHL to NHL. I've watched both fairly closely this year, when they've played, and have not really been too impressed with either one. There's definitely flashes of what we hope they'll be but it's too infrequent at this point.

Even still, assume you put JBD in the lineup and remove Hamonic. He has to play top pair for it to make sense. You can't pair him with Sanderson, so second pairing is out. If you put him on the bottom pairing, you still have a hole at RD2. Keep in mind, wherever you put JBD determines where you put Zaitsev. The math isn't favourable and Sanderson/Hamonic has worked fairly well this year.

If there's another deal in place where you get a guy and can shuttle off Hamonic and Zaitsev, sign me up yesterday.
JBD looked good before the ankle injury, Idk how his recovery has gone since but Mann said when he initially got back down he was not at the level he was prior.

If he's healthy, I think JBD could fill the spot, either by playing with Chabot or with Sanderson, I really don't get why you can pair JBD with Chabot who's had some struggles this year but playing him with Sanderson is somehow impossible.

The real question though is what is our goal to finish the year, are we trying to play meaningful games, are we trying to get guys experience, are we trying to tank?

Reactions: Bileur

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

This org is not obessed with Hamonic, he has been a great partner for Sanderson. Who could argue with his effort on every shift & all the pucks he blocks & he stands up for teammates & has gone after guys who have taken a run at Sanderson. Is Brannstrom going to do that? They need defensive defencemen & he has done his job. Why aren't you complaining about Brannstrom the offensive D-man with 1 goal this yr?

Hamonic has more goals & pts than Brannstrom & plays a thousand times better defensively & yet Brann has all kinds of supporters on here. Hamonic is not going to bring in a top 4 RD on his own, it's going to cost a lot more. We all know that Brannstrom will return next to nothing & his value is zero. The teams that will shop good defencemen are likely teams that are also rebuilding & don't want aging vets in return. There is no reason to make your team worse when they need a player like Hamonic in their lineup. They have plenty of guys they can trade without hurting their core, but I doubt any package they try to put together will be good enough to return a top 4 D. That will require a player we don't want to move. At the moment they have bigger problems in net & who knows how Forsberg will perform next yr after blowing out both knees.

They should have a good top 9 next yr & if they can stay healthy they can take their time & get the right offer for a good defenceman. Hopefully someone else in the org steps up & adds value to this team like Greig & maybe a couple more.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Would prefer a real top 4 RHD
But to be fair Hamonic has been ok lately and is still someone you can relatively count on in desperate times
(see last OT pk )

Bottom 6 morons are costing us more games than Travis atm

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
View attachment 651078
I don’t get why we can’t just ride out the last year. Cap situation isn’t that bad.
Stutzle is getting a massive raise next season and Zaitsev is really, really bad (playing better recently).

He needs to be gonezo right meow.

If Hamonic's main job was to mentor Sanderson, he's done a great job.

He should be a fine bottom pairing D going forward.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I'm not entirely convinced getting a pop from a crowd is a valid reason to abstain from trading your 1st, but do agree that getting RR to make that pick would be fun,
The sens not being close to winning a cup is why you dont trade the 1st at the trade deadline. Especially when they have one of the worst prospect pools in the league.

Why does Dorion say stuff like they arent trading Hamonic. Pigeon holing himself like that god he is an idiot.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
The sens not being close to winning a cup is why you dont trade the 1st at the trade deadline. Especially when they have one of the worst prospect pools in the league.

Why does Dorion say stuff like they arent trading Hamonic. Pigeon holing himself like that god he is an idiot.
Because if someone wants Hamonic than they will need to pay more than his actual value by letting them know how important he is to this team. Negotiation tactic. If you want him bad enough you have to pay more & he has been very good for Sanderson's development. Would it have been better for Sanderson to play with Zaitsev, or Brannstrom or Holden? I don't think so. Hamonic has been exactly the kind of D that Sanderson needed in his first yr in the NHL IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad