Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals PART XXXXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Just one data point, but wasn't overly impressed by Weegar when we played the Flames a couple of days ago. I don't think he's a long-term solution for our top 4, and certainly not with that contract.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Zero percent chance that Colton Parayko is waiving his no-trade to come to Ottawa. That's probably the advantage of a guy like Weegar; he's currently under a contract with no trade protection.
I seem to recall that you can add a NMC retroactively when signing an extension, if anyone can confirm, @mouser perhaps, That would be appreciated. I think Weegar probably would have done so, just because Capfriendly doesn't mention it doesn't mean it didn't happen.

You'd pretty much have to empty out an already thin system to dump Zaitsev and acquire Weegar. Probably looking at shipping out Pinto/Greig, a 1st, two 2nd's, and more besides.

Pierre shoving his chips in the middle.
Weegar apparently didn't want to come here in the offseason, not sure anything that happened since would have changed his mind

No clue why it would cost that much for Weegar though, that seems pretty excessive.

Reactions: Cosmix

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Cap wise you can swing this and re-sign DeBrincat, but you're likely taking a hit in nets.

I don't think Weegar would be my first choice, but people saying he sucks and that Parayko is way better should watch some games this year.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
I seem to recall that you can add a NMC retroactively when signing an extension, if anyone can confirm, @mouser perhaps, That would be appreciated. I think Weegar probably would have done so, just because Capfriendly doesn't mention it doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Weegar apparently didn't want to come here in the offseason, not sure anything that happened since would have changed his mind

No clue why it would cost that much for Weegar though, that seems pretty excessive.
You can have retroactive trade protection added, but I'm not sure if it's automatic when extensions are negotiated on already existing contracts. Was it Carey Price who had this done? Somebody definitely did.

For everybody complaining about the cost I proposed for Weegar...

First of all, part of that is the cost to dump Nikita Zaitsev. I think it will end up costing more than one 2nd round pick to move him. Probably like a 2nd+4th or a 2nd+Sokolov, but probably not two 2nd's. Beyond that, what do you think a borderline top-pairing RD costs? They're expensive. A 1st and a young roster player is probably pretty standard. I don't imagine we would get a discount just because of the supposition that the contract might be an issue 4 or 5 years down the road. If he's truly available we would be bidding against other teams and would have to pay the market rate to acquire him.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
You can have retroactive trade protection added, but I'm not sure if it's automatic when extensions are negotiated on already existing contracts. Was it Carey Price who had this done? Somebody definitely did.

For everybody complaining about the cost I proposed for Weegar...

First of all, part of that is the cost to dump Nikita Zaitsev. I think it will end up costing more than one 2nd round pick to move him. Probably like a 2nd+4th or a 2nd+Sokolov, but probably not two 2nd's. Beyond that, what do you think a borderline top-pairing RD costs? They're expensive. A 1st and a young roster player is probably pretty standard. I don't imagine we would get a discount just because of the supposition that the contract might be an issue 4 or 5 years down the road. If he's truly available we would be bidding against other teams and would have to pay the market rate to acquire him.
Yeah, I don't think it would be automatic but I do think you're likely to fire your agent if it's not done and you get traded before your NTC kicks in, so my assumption is generally that it is done when possible, as opposed to assuming it wasn't done.

As for your cost of Weegar, it essentially amounts to a bluechip prospects in Pinto/Greig, a 1st and a 2nd if you remove the cost of Zaitsev, that's still really steep imo, you're pretty darn close to the ask for Chychrun, who's on a better contract, 5 years younger, and a significantly better player imo.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Even with Zaitsev out, it would be very hard to fit both Debrincat and Weegar on the books next season.

If Weegar is being brought in, Batherson is being moved out in that trade, on top of Zaitsev in another move.

Batherson + Zaitsev would be $9.475M out the door, so if you bring in Weegar at $6.25M, fill the 3rd line RW spot for $1-$1.5M, you could re-sign Debrincat for $8-$8.3M and come out even.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
If the Sens can't commit to DeBrincat because they want to leave it to new owners.. How do they allow Dorion to trade for Weegar?
I think Dorion is trying to do his job but I can't see anything big coming. A couple minor moves with some UFAs.
Significant roster moves are off the table imo.

Apparently Marino's term wasn't wanted in the off season. Marino has less term, less expensive significantly and is 25 vs Weegar 29 with 7 more years. I think its noise.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Weegar would not be moved in a deal for picks and prospects. Even high picks and good prospects.

I'd bet that the Flames would be looking at a hockey deal. Basically, Batherson for Weegar.

Would I do that? I'd definitely think about it.

I'd probably pull the trigger on Weegar for Batherson honestly.

That being said, the speculation has seemingly been about Calgary having a bit of buyers remorse and wanting to flip Weegar(+) into assets they can use on Chychrun/Parayko/ect. If that's the case the Senators suddenly make a lot of sense as a team that can take on Weegar's full hit (for now) while dealing primarily futures. They'd have to find a taker for Zaitsev in the off-season, and it's still tight in the short term, but certainly doable.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
The weegar deal is 6.25 which currently is 35th for D men. With a rising cap, probably mid 2nd pair money by the mid way point. After that, who knows where revenue goes.

I wonder what it is that Sutter doesn't like

Zaitsev without retention going the other way?

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

So long as the player would have been eligible for a NTC/NMC in the final year of their current contract (Weegar was), then yes any extension with a NTC/NMC can be applied retroactively.

Extensions don't have to include retroactive trade protection, but it seems to be relatively common that they will. The extensions without retroactive protection appear to be more the exceptions, such as JT Miller.

Reactions: Micklebot

Comely

Nov 26, 2007
Cambridge
The weegar deal is 6.25 which currently is 35th for D men. With a rising cap, probably mid 2nd pair money by the mid way point. After that, who knows where revenue goes.

I wonder what it is that Sutter doesn't like

Zaitsev without retention going the other way?
There is zero chance Calgary takes on Zaitsev, we would have to dump him seperately. I still think you could dump Z for a second in the summer

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Would definitely try to go after Karlsson rather than Weegar if you are going to add that much money and term for an older dman.

At face value sure, but the ~5 million more/season that EK makes would mean losing a major piece that wouldn't necessarily need to move to fit in Weegar. Would be about adding Weegar to the current core as opposed to swapping out one of the 'big 7". Despite his mental lapses Weegar is better defensively as of now as well, so a better fit on a team with Chabot leading the way.

I think the following core of players would be interesting to see under competent NHL coaching, although admittedly it would be tough to manage the margins in the short term until the dead money comes off the books and/or the cap rises.

Tkachuk - Stutzle - Batherson
DeBrincat - Norris - Giroux
Greig - Pinto - XXXXXXXX

Chabot - Weegar
Sanderson - Zub

Nova Stutzlia

Oct 23, 2021
Just one data point, but wasn't overly impressed by Weegar when we played the Flames a couple of days ago. I don't think he's a long-term solution for our top 4, and certainly not with that contract.

Wasn't watching for him, so I don't have much of an opinion on him.
But he was victimized on Tim's OT goal - not sure how much blame he deserves, but he didn't read the play very well.
I was thinking, if it was Chabot he'd be in the dog house around here.

Reactions: DrEasy

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
The issue I have with Weegar is the same one I have with Severson.

They look good on a good defensive team and bad on a bad defensive team.

We are not a good defensive team.

They can move the puck and they have decent skill, but they are also gaffe prone and need support for when they try to do too much.
Like x100

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I'd probably pull the trigger on Weegar for Batherson honestly.

That being said, the speculation has seemingly been about Calgary having a bit of buyers remorse and wanting to flip Weegar(+) into assets they can use on Chychrun/Parayko/ect. If that's the case the Senators suddenly make a lot of sense as a team that can take on Weegar's full hit (for now) while dealing primarily futures. They'd have to find a taker for Zaitsev in the off-season, and it's still tight in the short term, but certainly doable.
I think we should follow the Flames approach and try to get a better D.

Yeah, I don't think it would be automatic but I do think you're likely to fire your agent if it's not done and you get traded before your NTC kicks in, so my assumption is generally that it is done when possible, as opposed to assuming it wasn't done.

As for your cost of Weegar, it essentially amounts to a bluechip prospects in Pinto/Greig, a 1st and a 2nd if you remove the cost of Zaitsev, that's still really steep imo, you're pretty darn close to the ask for Chychrun, who's on a better contract, 5 years younger, and a significantly better player imo.
Makes me worried about what Dorion might do.

Reactions: OttawaSenators11
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad