Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals PART XXXXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slippy

Dec 8, 2005
highlytouted.ca
I would really like to see the Sens utilize their cap space for the remaining season. Teams like Edmonton are going to need to ship out money to bring in upgrades at the trade deadline. The Sens should be all over taking on expiring contracts like Puljujarvi for a 2nd or 3rd just for the remainder of the season. Or if an acquiring team needs to split the remaining cap hit for a TDL acquisition, even for something like the Leafs trying to acquire Meier. If they need extra cap retention, pick up an asset for cap space that doesn't go beyond this year.

One or two moves like this would certainly offset what they might have to offer to get another team to take Zaitzev. Just my thoughts, but the organization hasn't seemed interested in doing this historically and possibly the ownership situation might complicate adding more money to the budget without and actual tangible asset. I dunno.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
My wish list is for, a tough stay at home RHD top 4 ...Dont think this is possible however,so maybe a gritty top 6 forward that is around 4 or 5 mil per....As much as I love the Cat the 9 mil sticker just doesnt seem like a fit and we should spread the money out a little more evenly

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
I have strong reason to believe the Flames have considered moving defenceman Mackenzie Weegar. They’ve denied it, and it doesn’t sound like a trade is presently imminent. But multiple well-placed league sources have not only heard Weegar’s name floating around but have informed me the Ottawa Senators are a team that has expressed interest in acquiring him.

The Senators have been in the market for a top-four, right-shot defenceman, and Weegar checks a lot of boxes for them.

Weegar, 29, is from the Ottawa region and would surely welcome the opportunity to play in front of family and friends. His eight-year, $50 million contract extension kicks in July 1 and comes with a full no-trade clause for the first four years of that deal. My understanding is the Senators would be comfortable taking on that contract – especially if they can move out Nikita Zaitsev and his $4.5 million salary cap hit.

Senators GM Pierre Dorion is actively trying to move Zaitsev and as I reported on Friday, he seems willing to add a sweetener in the form of a second-round draft pick to the deal to convince a team to take on that contract. Might it cost more? The Anaheim Ducks, Arizona Coyotes and San Jose Sharks are three potential landing spots, but all three have blueliners they’d have to first move.

Shipping out Weegar, however, would mean the Flames have at least one more significant trade in the works. Would it strictly result in a replacement on the D corps, or is it a combination of that and adding more firepower up front?

This kind of sequence of events would be earthshattering. Treliving shook things up in the summer, so what’s stopping him from wanting to do it again now?

There are plenty of moving parts here, and I’m sure seeing Weegar alongside Thomas Chabot would be a dream pairing for Dorion and the Senators. But Treliving and the Flames need to weigh all their options before exploring this one.

Playing more consistent winning hockey would help management with their evaluation process. Easier said than done, Captain Obvious. But if things don’t improve on the ice, we could see some impactful changes off it.

uhh wtf. Weegar is now available according the Pagnotta.

dmarc

SENS!!!!!!!
Mar 29, 2009
Hot take: I'd rather sign Cat to a 1 year deal and see what he can do with a new coach-even if it means a worse trade for him at that year's deadline-then trade him now and see him score 40 goals for another team under a competent coach.
this exactly
If the team is cooking next year with new coach he's likely part of the success, if the situation and money is good he will sign no sweat

Worsttttt case he walks FA 2024 which means were still sucking and we have bigger fish to fry, and we lost a 7OA for 2 years of Cat

Apparently still interested in weegar
Pagnotta says A LOT but not much materializes imo

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
My wish list is for, a tough stay at home RHD top 4 ...Dont think this is possible however,so maybe a gritty top 6 forward that is around 4 or 5 mil per....As much as I love the Cat the 9 mil sticker just doesnt seem like a fit and we should spread the money out a little more evenly
If we could land Nick Jensen I think he would be a good upgrade

Puikiou

Oct 15, 2013
Big no to Weegar. Parayko instead please.

2023-2024

Tkachuk - Stützle - Greig
Debrincat - Norris - Giroux
Formenton - Pinto - Batherson
Motte - Kastelic - Kelly

Chabot - Parayko
Sanderson - Zub
Kleven - Brännström

Forsberg
Sogaard/Mando​

Reactions: topshelf15

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Anyone that is available has warts.

Either their contract is too long, or they haven't played enough games recently due to injury, or they are on the wrong side of their prime.
I think we will have to wait on that RHD ,and just allow for a new coach to build a better structure for our kids to grow and succeed in for now..

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Zero percent chance that Colton Parayko is waiving his no-trade to come to Ottawa. That's probably the advantage of a guy like Weegar; he's currently under a contract with no trade protection.

You'd pretty much have to empty out an already thin system to dump Zaitsev and acquire Weegar. Probably looking at shipping out Pinto/Greig, a 1st, two 2nd's, and more besides.

Pierre shoving his chips in the middle.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I think we will have to wait on that RHD ,and just allow for a new coach to build a better structure for our kids to grow and succeed in for now..

I think the key to picking up any of those guys is that they play on a pairing lower than on their previous team, where generally they didn't do a good enough job to be retained under their existing contracts.

That's a tough ask for this team.

Ouroboros said:
You'd pretty much have to empty out and already thin system to dump Zaitsev and acquire Weegar. Probably looking at shipping out Pinto/Greig, a 1st, two 2nd's, and more besides.

Pierre shoving his chips in the middle

I can't see Weegar having enough of an impact to warrant that cost.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Zero percent chance that Colton Parayko is waiving his no-trade to come to Ottawa. That's probably the advantage of a guy like Weegar; he's currently under a contract with no trade protection.

You'd pretty much have to empty out an already thin system to dump Zaitsev and acquire Weegar. Probably looking at shipping out Pinto/Greig, a 1st, two 2nd's, and more besides.

Not a chance in hell.

Weegar might have had that kind of value when he was putting up big numbers on a 3.25M deal, but we're talking about a 29 year old signed for another 8 more years @ 6.25M that has 16 points in 53 games, and has never been an incredible defensive player.

He's also not a fast defenseman and cannot afford to lose a step. No way he justifies that contract.

If anything the Flames should have to pay the Sens to dump Weegar's contract.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

SensFan1010

Dec 18, 2019
The contract is 6.5x8 the AAV is not that bad im sure we will get bit on the end of that deal but there is a lot of positives to come with it.
We finally get a competent D to play the right side which seems like we have been looking for forever
Having that tough contract kick in next year will probably hurt his value, which means we should be able to get him for cheaper then hes actually worth
6-8 years down the road when that contract starts to hurt the cap will go up enough where the 6.5 isnt a big deal and will be much easier to move then it is now if we have too

Puikiou

Oct 15, 2013

what-the-f***-tom-delonge.gif

Wth? Who do you think Weegar is? Adam Fox? Have you seen his contract??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad