Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals PART XXXXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
From Elliotte's 32 thought

The Remington Group, which got a commitment from Ryan Reynolds to join its ownership bid for the Ottawa Senators, has an interesting history with the NHL. In 2013, a plan of theirs to build a 20,000-seat arena in Markham, ON — in hopes of bringing a second team to Toronto — was crushed by city council after residents made it clear public funding for the project would not be well-received at election time. Then, Remington entered into serious discussions to purchase the Arizona Coyotes, but abruptly backed away when unhappy with the real estate potential.

So, immediately there are questions about its interest here — coveting the real estate much more than the team. That’s why it probably made Reynolds a pitch and purchase options other groups weren’t prepared to, knowing the power his public persona has over the process. Our family used to be in the construction business, and everyone knew Remington’s patriarch, Rudy Bratty, was not to be underestimated or trifled with. His children run it now, and they are still formidable. A lot of this comes down to how much everyone’s willing to bid, but one thing the NHL will want to know is: will this ownership be as passionate about the team as some of the other contenders?
Kinda what I said the other day. Reynolds ‘gets’ the team, they get the Lebreton real estate. Win-win from both perspectives.

I should think that we have this many bids not because all of a sudden everyone loves the Sens or owning a hockey team, it’s the land deal that has brought all this money to the table.

Finding a passionate owner of the hockey team in the mix is the tough bit for sure. It’s probably why Reynolds looks attractive as he’s one guy that wants the team, not the surrounding land.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
THW - analyses of JBD before his draft yr.

Strengths
  • Hard, accurate shooter
  • Effective puck distributor
  • Excellent mobility

Under Construction (Improvements to Make)​

• Will need to fill out physically to survive pro-level battles
  • Doesn’t play particularly physical or mean
  • Occasionally over-commits offensively and has to scramble back

NHL Potential

Bernard-Docker projects as a second pairing defender who makes his offensive hay on the power play.

Risk-Reward Analysis

Risk – 1/5, Reward – 3.5/5

Fantasy Hockey Potential

Offense 7.5/10, Defense 7.5/10

Awards/Achievements​

Bernard-Docker represented Canada at the World Junior-A Championship. He was named the AJHL’s Most Outstanding Defenseman in 2017-18.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Sounds fine to me.

First, the guys can breathe a sigh of relief that we’re not going to be selling key guys for picks at the deadline. This is important because unlike some of us, the team is still trying to win and chase down the WC spot. This is a nice little vote of confidence from the GM. The last thing we need is for guys to have the trade deadline get into their heads while we’re on a heater.

Second, DBC doesn’t like moving, said so himself. This is just another little nudge from the team letting him know that they are committed to getting him signed. He apparently indicated that he wanted to see how the new ownership situation settled first, so it makes sense.

Brass makes sense. Home town 1000 games, and he’s been a great PTO story for us (for a PTO). If we ended up in the playoffs, Brass is still a depth asset.

Hamonic has been a great soldier for us. He’s done his mentoring job really well, and he’s been solid in the D zone for most of the season, and had to carry a heavy load. We need him down the stretch if the guys want to keep winning.

The message seems pretty clear, we’re not selling off at the TDL, we’re going to try and keep rolling.

What’s not to like?

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
Hamonic has been a great soldier for us. He’s done his mentoring job really well, and he’s been solid in the D zone for most of the season, and had to carry a heavy load. We need him down the stretch if the guys want to keep winning.

if he's been so good why is it a tire fire when he is on the ice and why does he have no value?

the player you're describing gets traded for a 1st at the tdl.

dude is a liability on the ice and some of the best mentorship he gives to Sanderson is what exactly not to do. ( like breaking his starting goaltenders knees)

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Brass can hit the 1000 games in Ottawa and still be traded for scraps on deadline day. He’s 7 games away and we have 8 games left before the deadline. DJ just has to keep dressing him which seems like a DJ thing to do.

That statement doesn’t really say much.

I can’t imagine the return on Brass being very useful, maybe a 4th or 5th? I’d sit him down, thank him for his contributions and ask him if he wants to be traded to someone in the mix. If so, make it happen if you can find a taker, if not, he can keep playing his depth role.

Moving him wouldn’t be so much for the return but to give some AHL guys a run.

If Hamonic wants to extend for one year at less than 1.5, or two years at less, I’d be fine with extending him. Otherwise I think they should at least see what’s out there in terms of offers. He’d be a fine depth add for a contending team.

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Ideally JBD and/or Thomson get some reps to end the year so the team knows what they have in them before they are waiver eligible. I'd also have zero issue playing Larsson or Heatherington in spot duty down the stretch.

There's also the option to test drive someone that isn't Hamonic, but I also realize that option is more polarizing.
Well I think Hamonic is better than those two. If we acquire someone then sure definitely bump Hamonic out or down

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
The sens not being close to winning a cup is why you dont trade the 1st at the trade deadline. Especially when they have one of the worst prospect pools in the league.

Why does Dorion say stuff like they arent trading Hamonic. Pigeon holing himself like that god he is an idiot.
Well it’s not pigeon holing. He doesn’t want to trade him. Likely wants to sign him. So why would he trade him.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Brass can hit the 1000 games in Ottawa and still be traded for scraps on deadline day. He’s 7 games away and we have 8 games left before the deadline. DJ just has to keep dressing him which seems like a DJ thing to do.

That statement doesn’t really say much.

I can’t imagine the return on Brass being very useful, maybe a 4th or 5th? I’d sit him down, thank him for his contributions and ask him if he wants to be traded to someone in the mix. If so, make it happen if you can find a taker, if not, he can keep playing his depth role.

Moving him wouldn’t be so much for the return but to give some AHL guys a run.
No one from the AHL is going to get ‘a run’ if they are taking Brassards roster spot though.

4c is really the only spot that could be taken from Gambrell, but his speed has been helpful and we don’t have another Center besides Kasty to bring up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
No one from the AHL is going to get ‘a run’ if they are taking Brassards roster spot though.

4c is really the only spot that could be taken from Gambrell, but his speed has been helpful and we don’t have another Center besides Kasty to bring up.

I had Kasty in mind specifically. Should probably have just said that.

That said if we can move Watson and Motte too then it opens space for someone like Sokolov or Crookshank to get a look.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I had Kasty in mind specifically. Should probably have just said that.
Ah I see. Personally if we’re dead and gone by the last 20 I’d like to see Jarventie, Crookshank, and Soks get some looks to be honest.

I want to like Kasty, but so often it seems like he’s just kind of… there. Still time for the big man for sure.

Reactions: Bileur

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

Strengths
  • Hard, accurate shooter
  • Excellent mobility

NHL Potential

Bernard-Docker projects as a second pairing defender who makes his offensive hay on the power play.

Risk-Reward Analysis

Fantasy Hockey Potential

Awards/Achievements​

Bernard-Docker represented Canada at the World Junior-A Championship. He was named the AJHL’s Most Outstanding Defenseman in 2017-18.
Looks like he has a hard time mentally keeping up with the speed of NHL games.

Good fundamentals but low ceiling. Obviously easy to say now.

Things could still click for him. Let's hope so.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Brassard was playing 3rd line LW for a while though, we could bring up Crookshank or Sokolov in that spot, move Motte down to the 4th line where he's best suited anyways.

Brass was even getting PP time up until his last game against Cgy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bileur

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Looks like new ownership will take a run at re-signing Cat according to Friedman. Among other things, I don't think he signs if DJ is still coach.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Strengths
  • Hard, accurate shooter
  • Excellent mobility

NHL Potential

Risk-Reward Analysis

Fantasy Hockey Potential

Awards/Achievements​

Not a hard shooter and his mobility is not “excellent”.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Debrincat trade isn’t happening, Dorion isn’t going to admit to Duchene trade 2.0 happening under his watch.

He’ll be out of Ottawa before DBC is.

Ever thought Of changing your name to “Debrincattime” has a nice ring to it?

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

Gambrell 1 point in 33 games has been huge. Never understood why this guy was on waivers and then we traded a pick for him. Because that’s why

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Ugh, I hope someone offers a 2nd or something good enough to warrant trading Hamonic. He's losing steps and is not an adequate second pairing D which he'll continue to be on this roster. After the deadline, let some kids come up and play some of his minutes.

Not happy or sad on keeping Cat, just as long as negotiations focus on keeping the aav at $8million max.

Also, heck no to Weegar. The time to get him was before he was moved to the Flames. Even if the Flames took Watson, Holden, Hamonic, and a 7th (all of our upcoming FA and a cap dump in Zaitsev), its not worth it for us to risk paying Weegar $6million when he's 35+.

I'd rather try to acquire Pesce or another younger RD and just overpay for them

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Ah I see. Personally if we’re dead and gone by the last 20 I’d like to see Jarventie, Crookshank, and Soks get some looks to be honest.

I want to like Kasty, but so often it seems like he’s just kind of… there. Still time for the big man for sure.
I agree on Kastelic. Kastelic is a big player who does not play particularly big (physically over-powering opponents, hard checks).

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Ya buying out Ryan instead of just keeping him around a little longer was insanely dumb and screamed broke owner in a pandemic.

That small 1.8M would provide some good breathing room right now to keep Cat, acquire a top 4 D and other routine roster extensions like Pinto.

The cap ceiling for this team next year is really tight.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Looks like he has a hard time mentally keeping up with the speed of NHL games.

Good fundamentals but low ceiling. Obviously easy to say now.

Things could still click for him. Let's hope so.
JBD might still become an NHL. Player; however, I would have preferred drafting K’andre Miller instead of trading the pick for two lower picks where we drafted JBD and Tychonick.

Reactions: gab6511

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
Because if someone wants Hamonic than they will need to pay more than his actual value by letting them know how important he is to this team. Negotiation tactic. If you want him bad enough you have to pay more & he has been very good for Sanderson's development. Would it have been better for Sanderson to play with Zaitsev, or Brannstrom or Holden? I don't think so. Hamonic has been exactly the kind of D that Sanderson needed in his first yr in the NHL IMO.
Preach. Let's not lose sight of the fact that in camp, smith and Sanderson's dad had a talk about how important it was that Sanderson be paired with someone like hamonic to help his development.

And I think we have seen the benefits of that in spades this year.

Reactions: aragorn

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I’m pretty surprised to see the takes that Kastelic isn’t physical. He hasn’t been as consistent with it the last few weeks but he’s been nursing an injury. He still has some of the hardest hits of the season and is right up there in volume particularly on a per 60 basis.

Reactions: aragorn

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Preach. Let's not lose sight of the fact that in camp, smith and Sanderson's dad had a talk about how important it was that Sanderson be paired with someone like hamonic to help his development.

And I think we have seen the benefits of that in spades this year.
I’ve seen the benefit that Sanderson has had in Hamonicsnplay lol. Fact of the matter is Sanderson is really good. Would be good with whomever.

Also strange that Sanderson a dad is ducking saying anything at all to our coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad