Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals PART XXXXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
It's much easier to run around throwing hits, like Kelly and Watson do, when playing on the wing. As a centre, Kastelic has more responsibilities.
Would it make sense to shift Kastelic to wing so that he can use his physicality with more reckless abandon? He could still take draws, like Brady or Giroux.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
I wouldn’t classify Kastelic as a mean hitter at all, nor is he particularly good at fighting. He does move quick for a big man, but like most big guys in the NHL he just doesn’t hit mean. Kelly and Watson hit way harder and meaner than Kasty.

He is good in other areas, and is still a big body who can protect the puck, and has a little offensive flair, and he’s still young.

Finding big guys that are aggressive and like running guys over is super rare.

Like I said, weird!
I get he’s not Chris Neil nasty but I find he throws some pretty violent hits out there.
IMO hes a bit of a rare type of player and could be developed into a really useful longterm player with great playoff game type qualities.
Maybe it’s just me but I see him as the perfect type of 4th line centre. He’s big, he’s fast, he likes to use his size to hit hard but also uses it to protect pucks well down low, his hands are underrated and he’s amazing on the draw.
His size alone makes him a guy you don’t want to fight for 95% of guys in the league. Outside of big good fighters I’d say Kastelic can handle most guys.

Aragorn is the OG Kastelic guy, he’ll back me up lol

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Colin White has similar production to Derick Brassard this year.

Honestly down to bring him back next year to replace Brass. He is loved in the locker room, could be a decent 4th C. Only bad optic is people will add up his buyout salary to his AAV and start expecting that out of him lol.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton

Honestly down to bring him back next year to replace Brass. He is loved in the locker room, could be a decent 4th C. Only bad optic is people will add up his buyout salary to his AAV and start expecting that out of him lol.
If we can get him for $1million, his dead cap will bring him just under $2million, would be interesting

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Like I said, weird!
I get he’s not Chris Neil nasty but I find he throws some pretty violent hits out there.
IMO hes a bit of a rare type of player and could be developed into a really useful longterm player with great playoff game type qualities.
Maybe it’s just me but I see him as the perfect type of 4th line centre. He’s big, he’s fast, he likes to use his size to hit hard but also uses it to protect pucks well down low, his hands are underrated and he’s amazing on the draw.
His size alone makes him a guy you don’t want to fight for 95% of guys in the league. Outside of big good fighters I’d say Kastelic can handle most guys.

Aragorn is the OG Kastelic guy, he’ll back me up lol
As I said I really don’t want to knock the kid, I like him too, I just wish he was meaner is all. Lol

Maybe it’s the nagging injury.

If we can get him for $1million, his dead cap will bring him just under $2million, would be interesting
Is he better than Kastelic? Because that’s who he’s be replacing, not the 14th forward PTO winner Brass.

Reactions: Wondercarrot

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury

I was a Whitey fan, but as long as DJ is here, I just don't think there's a real fit for them.

White just quite simply doesn't play with enough jam for his skillset. Today his peak looks like its much closer to a 40pt Chris Tierney than he does to a 40pt Mike Fisher in terms of style and overall impact.

He might figure it out eventually and be a very solid 3rd liner. But I just don't see it happening in Ottawa myself.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sting

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Olli Maata just signed for two years at three million per year. He's an LD.

Given that contract for a Ufa LD, where do you view Hamonic as a RD ufa? Or Zaitsev with a year left on his deal? Once the bonus is paid, Zaitsev is owed 2.5 I believe

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I think we just swing for the fences with Karlsson

He’s got a full NMC, returning team needs cap space, SJS is one of the teams that can take Zaitsev

All roads lead home
Swing for the fences means something different for everyone.

I’m sure they talked. And the reason they’ve stopped talking is because sharks didn’t like what we were offering or what was on the table.

Honestly i wouldn't mind both White and Kasetlic on the 4th line.

I just commented cuz I thought it would be funny to see us re-sign White lol
Colin white as fourth line C just scream playoff OT scramble goal.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Why does anyone have a problem with Hamonic coming back as a 3rd pairing D? It's the fact that we're void of a top 4 right handed D that's troubling, not penciling in Hamonic for 12 minutes a night or whatever.
Well, it blocks both JBD and Thomson and both will require waivers, so signing him likely means giving up on one of them unless we're playing them top 4.

As a 5 or 6th D he's fine, I don't have an issue with it, at the right price of course, but it does have implications beyond just him.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I would take Pesce over Weegar every day of the week for our situation.
Which is what? They’re both very very strong defensive defensemen lol. And about to both have very very similar contracts. And weegar is the “RHD playing the right side” that every always talks about. Pesce is a left shot that plays the right side

Oh damn. What was is this board used to describe him? “One of the worst d men in the league”. “Possibly worse than Zaitsev”. “D men like him become available all the time”.

Reactions: NB613 and Bileur

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Which is what? They’re both very very strong defensive defensemen lol. And about to both have very very similar contracts. And weegar is the “RHD playing the right side” that every always talks about. Pesce is a left shot that plays the right Side.
Other way around, and they have very different contracts.

I'd rather Pesce but he would need to come with an extension & is definitely an off-season deal.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Other way around, and they have very different contracts.

I'd rather Pesce but he would need to come with an extension & is definitely an off-season deal.
Oh yeah they’re both right shots not sure how I got that mixed up.

Pesces contract is about to end I. One year. And we will need to give him the same contract that flames just gave weegar that we are complaining about.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Well, it blocks both JBD and Thomson and both will require waivers, so signing him likely means giving up on one of them unless we're playing them top 4.

As a 5 or 6th D he's fine, I don't have an issue with it, at the right price of course, but it does have implications beyond just him.
Pick the better between thomson and jbd and have them as depth, because goodness knows we have issues with injuries.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Which is what? They’re both very very strong defensive defensemen lol. And about to both have very very similar contracts. And weegar is the “RHD playing the right side” that every always talks about. Pesce is a left shot that plays the right side
Personally I find Pesce far more consistently strong defensively, secondly, Pesce is a right shot so I'm not sure who you're watching

1676645042274.png

Reactions: NB613 and Alex1234

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Personally I find Pesce far more consistently strong defensively, secondly, Pesce is a right shot so I'm not sure who you're watching

View attachment 651733
Yeah not sure how I got that mixed up.

Disagree on your first point tho. Weegar is right up with the best defensive d men in the league. They are both exactly what we need.

My eye test skews a little weegar. I would be curious to see cards for both side by side.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yeah not sure how I got that mixed up.

Disagree on your first point tho. Weegar is right up with the best defensive d men in the league. They are both exactly what we need.

My eye test skews a little weegar. I would be curious to see cards for both side by side.
Fair enough, I watched him far more in Fla than I have in Cgy (just sens games so far) so I could be way off in terms of this season, maybe I'm the one who's crazy...

Either one would honestly be a welcome addition, at the right price.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Oh yeah they’re both right shots not sure how I got that mixed up.

Pesces contract is about to end I. One year. And we will need to give him the same contract that flames just gave weegar that we are complaining about.
Yeah, Weegar is an RHD who plays LD.

I have nothing against Weegar's deal... he's easily a $6.5m DMan. Just prefer Pesce. Partially because I'm not sure his new deal will be as high or long. And while Weegar might be the better player, Pesce is the better shutdown defender. Not that Weegar isn't good, too. He is just less consistent/makes more mistakes. Even if the overall results are "better".

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Down the middle we are pretty solid moving forward...I see Greig and Pinto maybe forming a nasty shutdown 3rd line...Having two centers on a line like that will be very beneficial...Kastelic is looking like a solid 4th line guy,sign Motte and call up a Soko or a Crookshank...The big problem will be finding the money to keep Cat while having money to fill out the defense

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Would it make sense to shift Kastelic to wing so that he can use his physicality with more reckless abandon? He could still take draws, like Brady or Giroux.
He's really good at faceoffs. I like him in the middle, not sure why they think Gambrell is a better fit. He sucks.

I would take Pesce over Weegar every day of the week for our situation.
He's a better fit I agree but Weegar is also great. Love Weegar's versatility. Can play both sides seamlessly and is effective in all situations. If the team has any injuries to Chabot or Sanderson he can switch sides if he has to. But why would Carolina move Pesce? Weegar i get because they have lots of D and have trouble scoring.

Reactions: Wondercarrot

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He's really good at faceoffs. I like him in the middle, not sure why they think Gambrell is a better fit. He sucks.
Kastelic tweaked his back early in the year and never really looked the same since imo, I think he's just not healthy. They definitely like Gambrell's speed, he's good enough defensively to not hurt you but he really should be your 13th forward, not a regular

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Down the middle we are pretty solid moving forward...I see Greig and Pinto maybe forming a nasty shutdown 3rd line...Having two centers on a line like that will be very beneficial...Kastelic is looking like a solid 4th line guy,sign Motte and call up a Soko or a Crookshank...The big problem will be finding the money to keep Cat while having money to fill out the defense

We are pretty solid up front, if you ignore positioning (which is not an issue with us given that our greatest depth is at C):
- Stutzle, 8yrs remaining to UFA - 1C
- Norris, 7yrs remaining - 1.5C
- Greig, 6yrs remaining - NHLer
- Tkachuk, 5yrs remaining - 1LW
- Batherson, 4yrs remaining - 1.5/2RW
- Pinto, 4yrs remaining - 3C
- Kelly, 4yrs remaining - 12-15th FWD
- Kastelic, 4yrs remaining - 4/5C
- Giroux, 3yrs remaining - 1.5RW
- Joseph, 3yrs remaining - 3rd/4th line wing
- Debrincat, 1yr remaining - 1/1.5LW

In the system:
- Boucher, 7yrs remaining - likely NHLer
- Ostapchuk, 7yrs remaining - likely NHLer
- Petersson, 7yrs remaining
- Halliday, 7yrs remaining
- Jarventie, 6yrs remaining
- Daoust, 6yrs remaning
- Crookshank, 4yrs remaining
- Sokolov, 4yrs remaining
- Lodin, 4yrs remaining

On D, we're a bit less set up:
- Sanderson, 6yrs remaining - 2/3D
- Chabot, 5yrs remaining - 1.5/2D
- Zub, 4yrs remaining - 3/4D
- Brannstrom, 3yrs remaining 6D
- Zaistev, 1yr remaining - 8D

In the system:
- Hamara, 8yrs
- Donovan, 8yrs
- Guennette, 5yrs
- Thomson, 4yrs
- JBD, 3yrs - likely NHLer

Even if we lose Debrincat, we still have 7 or 8 good NHL forwards locked up or under team control for the medium/long-term. On D, we have far less depth. As much as a good 2nd pairing DMan, this team could just use three every-day, NHL DMen.

I don't think it's that they think Gambrell is better... Kastelic had some injuries and just wasn't playing enough. He will be back and around for a lot longer than Gambrell will who, while I admire what he does with what he has, isn't a guy who should be playing much at the NHL level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad