Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
2023 1st, Kleven, Greig, Pinto,......all those piece should be off the table.

Those are piece we need going forward to fill out the roster and be competitive with some ELC contracts over the next few years.

With the way trades are going right now, we should really just sit tight and wait until summer.

IlTerrifico

Oct 24, 2016
What will piss me off is if Pierre now late in the season trades a package he could have traded with no impact at the start of the season for Chychrun, and then we barely miss the playoffs.
If he gives up Grieg + 1st + other small parts, we could have done this in October, only missed out on a few games of Grieg, and likely been solid in a playoff spot. Could have added top 5 protection for the 1st if it was a 2023.
Instead we are still in tough to make the playoffs and have used up a great season by Giroux where he is getting older and likely has few good or great seasons left.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
What will piss me off is if Pierre now late in the season trades a package he could have traded with no impact at the start of the season for Chychrun, and then we barely miss the playoffs.
If he gives up Grieg + 1st + other small parts, we could have done this in October, only missed out on a few games of Grieg, and likely been solid in a playoff spot. Could have added top 5 protection for the 1st if it was a 2023.
Instead we are still in tough to make the playoffs and have used up a great season by Giroux where he is getting older and likely has few good or great seasons left.
A lot of IFs and wasted emotion without knowing if Arizona would have accepted your offer

Reactions: Relapsing and JD1

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I would guess Columbus wants to right the ship quickly after this disaster of a year having already signed Gaudreau and Gudbranson to those bloated contracts.

He's not getting either 1st in 2023 or 2024 belonging to Columbus, but if Gavrikov and Korpisalo get traded to LA for a 1st+ they could use that pick + one of their recent 1st round picks (Sillinger/Ceulemans/Matveychuk) as the two 1sts that he is looking for.

I think if he has confidence he has a deal like that in his back pocket he won't deal Chychrun at this deadline for less to a team that doesn't want him as badly.

I really doubt they get a prospect like Mateychuk or Sillinger from Columbus. Just like they won't get Greig or Pinto from Ottawa.

Could they get LA's 1st (which will land somewhere between 20-25), a 2nd and a couple prospects like Foudy/Tarasov?

Yeah probably. But they probably could have gotten a similar, if not better, package last trade deadline. Or last summer. So all this waiting and holding him out and then putting him back in... I don't know if it'll benefit them very much.

Reactions: bicboi64

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
As per Dregger this AM he said the ask from Arizona was/is 2 1sts and one of Grieg or Sogaard.
So a 10-15 pick, a 15-20 pick, and one of our top 2 prospects.

It will be fascinating to see if they end up with half that value.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
if you mean demand. yes karlsson can basically demand the sharks to trade him to Ottawa and reject other teams. And Ottawa is probably the highest on his list given that he considers it home and didn't want to leave in the first place.
Don’t have the cap room.

I still think we have the best offer..Our 1st and likely Greig isnt going to be beaten easily

Also no trading guys like Watson ,Talbot etc...We need them here more than a low end pick
They want 2 firsts and one of Greig or Soogard supposedly.

Very Stable Genius

#WeLostOurKarlssons
Jan 3, 2005
Chicago
As per Dregger this AM he said the ask from Arizona was/is 2 1sts and one of Grieg or Sogaard.

Arizona can f*** right off, a dumping ground for rich teams to unload their mistakes.

Reactions: slamigo

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Who says that deal would have got the job done in the early part of the season? Who says the Sens are even willing to part with Greig?

Reactions: JD1

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Even half that value is too much. We're talking a LD who is injured for 20-25 games per season and has barely any playoff experience.

Reactions: SensFan1010

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
I do it 2 first ( this year protected 10 ) Greig. I add JBD, Sokolov, Formenton right, Kelly, Mandolese if Arizona add Vejmelka and Bjugstad

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
At this price just go UFAs in the summer or trade for lesser player like Pesce or Peeke or even Demelo if Winni miss the PO.
We don't know which teams are going to unload wich contracts in the summer but probably more players to choose from

Even Combination of Severson-Clifton or Holl-Mayfield could possibly work next season (no cost in terms of assets)

Last edited:

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
if you mean demand. yes karlsson can basically demand the sharks to trade him to Ottawa and reject other teams. And Ottawa is probably the highest on his list given that he considers it home and didn't want to leave in the first place.
You're presuming two things

1. Karlsson wants to return here (and nowhere else)
2. The team wants him back

I'm not sure either presumption is valid

WallyD

Nov 20, 2022
Honestly I think Dubas bought himself cover. If he had stood pat and they lost, the conversation in Toronto would have been that he didn't go all in, didn't acquire toughness, etc.

But he did all that.

So now if they lose, the heat won't be on Dubas. It'll be on Matthews, Marner, Nylander and Tavares.

The sentiment amongst all of my Leafs fan family/friends is that he's done his job to help them with these moves. Now it's up to them.
Goes against every fibre of my being to compliment anything Leafs, but in my honest detached unemotional opinion, other than the uncertainty that remains in goal, I really don't know what the heck else Dubas could do to create success. I absolutely agree with you... it is on the bench (players and coaching) if they don't progress.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Idk, Jets got Demelo from us for a third, people around here hate on him but Hamonic cost us a third and imo has been a useful stopgap.

Its not nothing...

Looking at our cap situation for next year, the way I see it we have about 5 mil in capspace, set aside 2 for injuries and such and that doesn't leave much room to add a Dman

Assumptions:
Run with Sogaard and Forsberg in net
Sign DeBrincat to the same deal as Norris
Bridge Pinto at 1.75
Sign Brannstrom at 1.5
Sign Gauthier at 1

Gives us the following base roster:

Tkachuk(8.2)-Norris(7.95)-Batherson(4.975)
DeBrincat (7.95)-Stützle(8.35)-Giroux(6.5)
Greig(.863)-Pinto(1.75)-Joseph(2.95)
Kelly(.7625)-Kastelic(.835)-Gauthier(1)
Extra: Crookshank(.838

Chabot(8)-Zub(4.6)
Sanderson (.925)-???(???)
Brannstrom (1.5)-Thomson/JBD(.863)
Extra: Larson type (.750)

Forserg(2.75)
Sogaard(.925)

We can make room by doing the following:
~2 mil: Trade Joseph and play an ELC in his place
~7 mil: Trade DeBrincat and play an ELC
~4 mil: Trade Batherson and play an ELC

So, that pretty much rules out a Parayko or Weegar acquisition unless we are moving out a top 6 forward in Bath or DeBrincat. I guess we could pay for retention but seems unlikely. We could also move out Joseph for an ELC or equivalent but we'd have less than 1 mil in capspace to deal with callups for injuries.

I don't think Parayko or Weegar are worth moving on from Bath or DeBrincat.

Targets that might fit the budget:
Chychrun @ 4.6
Tanev @ 4.5
Murphy @ 4.4
Peace @ 4.025
Roy @ 3.15
DeAngelo @ 5
Barrie @ 4.5

UFA
Severson
Klingberg
Dumba
We got a third for giving demelo. We they have up a third to get gavrikov. To get a top 4 d man. The third doesn’t mean much to me is what I mean. I’ll as a third on top of a package to get a top 4 d man without going through any emotional turmoil whatsoever

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Honestly I think Dubas bought himself cover. If he had stood pat and they lost, the conversation in Toronto would have been that he didn't go all in, didn't acquire toughness, etc.

But he did all that.

So now if they lose, the heat won't be on Dubas. It'll be on Matthews, Marner, Nylander and Tavares.

The sentiment amongst all of my Leafs fan family/friends is that he's done his job to help them with these moves. Now it's up to them.
It could be seen as providing cover or it could be just seen as him doing his job

If you do your job and the team still doesn’t succeed then perhaps there are other reasons why things failed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad