Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic]

Status
Not open for further replies.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
Just jumping in to reiterate what I have heard.

Dorion has had lots of conversations, but nothing seems imminent, so if something happens it’s probably on Friday when teams might lower their ask.

It doesn’t sound like he’s going to make a big move. Maybe a couple of small tweaks unless someone circles back.

Again, take it all with a grain of salt, but I was specifically told it should be quiet until Friday if they do anything at all.

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
You're presuming two things

1. Karlsson wants to return here (and nowhere else)
2. The team wants him back

I'm not sure either presumption is valid
Methot said he believes Karl would love to come back in the right scenario. They are great friends. Doubt that’s speculation

PlayItAgain

Jan 18, 2005

Dorion has had lots of conversations, but nothing seems imminent, so if something happens it’s probably on Friday when teams might lower their ask.

It doesn’t sound like he’s going to make a big move. Maybe a couple of small tweaks unless someone circles back.

Again, take it all with a grain of salt, but I was specifically told it should be quiet until Friday if they do anything at all.
Thats actually relieving to hear. Thats the exact approach I want them to take. Don’t force a trade if it doesn’t make sense for the long term

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Methot said he believes Karl would love to come back in the right scenario. They are great friends. Doubt that’s speculation
Then you still have the other half of the equation. Does them team want him back?

Chabot at 8 AAV
Sanderson at say 7 AAV
Zub signed for a few years

How do you slide Karlsson in at a very high AAV? There's literally no way around that problem that doesn't involve moving Chabot

And if they win in MSG Thursday night, that might tilt PD into acquire mode.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Goes against every fibre of my being to compliment anything Leafs, but in my honest detached unemotional opinion, other than the uncertainty that remains in goal, I really don't know what the heck else Dubas could do to create success. I absolutely agree with you... it is on the bench (players and coaching) if they don't progress.
Me too
Hate the Leafs with a passion
But honestly they got robbed last year and are getting robbed this season too
Book it

Thanks for the info
Always appreciated

Reactions: WallyD and NB613

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013

As always thank you for the insight.

Reactions: NB613

Senovision

May 23, 2011
I like everyone else on here am wishing for a top 4 dman who can put up points some time soon. Whether it be at the trade deadline or in the off season.
But I have another wish....a bottom 6 forward that is a poor man's Tom Wilson. Someone who can be very physical and if need be fight and be very good at fighting so as to deter other teams from taking liberties and put up 40-50 points. I don't think we have anyone in our system like that.
Those are my only two additions I think our team needs.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I like everyone else on here am wishing for a top 4 dman who can put up points some time soon. Whether it be at the trade deadline or in the off season.
But I have another wish....a bottom 6 forward that is a poor man's Tom Wilson. Someone who can be very physical and if need be fight and be very good at fighting so as to deter other teams from taking liberties and put up 40-50 points. I don't think we have anyone in our system like that.
At this point we need some killers beside Brady

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
That doesnt mean he is holding San Jose randsom to come to Ottawa or that its the preferred destination.

You're presuming two things

1. Karlsson wants to return here (and nowhere else)
2. The team wants him back

I'm not sure either presumption is valid
Can confirm its absolutely not the situation.

I am still of the opinion that if Debrincat isnt willing to sign an extension they have to trade him by friday even if they win on Thursday. They have to protect an asset that is that valuable.

Last edited:

WallyD

Nov 20, 2022
Holy cow, things are happening. Cant believe i opened this thread to page 15 and its up to page 41, wow.

I had never thought about that before, when a team retains 4% of a player salary they must use up one of their 50 roster spots while paying it? Do i have that right? An interesting wrinkle
Very interesting observation. I knew some of the retention rules (no more than 50% retained Sal and AAV, no more than 15% of cap for a team, retaining team cannot re-aquire that player for a year, 50 contracts limit, no more than 2 teams on a player retain, etc...). Never heard of the 4% retain limit consuming a contract roster spot. I searched but couldn't find that one.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site

Who are you thinking of, besides Tom Wilson?

Reactions: ChurchOfAlfie

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
That deal to between LA and CBJ seems like a dick move to Quick considering what happened with Kane. I wonder if Quick hangs the skates up after this year

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I’d be ok trading Grieg for Chychrun, it’ll hurt but it addresses a more important gap.

Hoping we can try an avoid it but if it happens I’ll convince myself you gotta give to get
Yep ditto for the 1st...Our core group at forward is signed,we need to complete the defense

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Then you still have the other half of the equation. Does them team want him back?

Chabot at 8 AAV
Sanderson at say 7 AAV

How do you slide Karlsson in at a very high AAV? There's literally no way around that problem that doesn't involve moving Chabot

And if they win in MSG Thursday night, that might tilt PD into acquire mode.
Well we do have an 8-9 mil unsigned forward on the doorstep of UFA that may be out of the picture by this summer. Regardless of Karlsson, the future makeup of the team is in flux until thats resolved and there could be a significant amount of available cap space even though we're likely to take ssome salary back in any trade.

Last edited:

Senovision

May 23, 2011
Who are you thinking of, besides Tom Wilson?
No not Tom Wilson but a poor mans Tom Wilson.
Hard to say as to who you could get, more just a dream. Ok i will throw a name out there and he has been mentioned on this board by a few posters this season....Lawson Crouse. He has had a great season this year on a horrible Arizona team. My only worry is that was it just a one off??? Also he makes $4.3 million. Because of his salary that doesn't make him a poor man's Tom Wilson.
Do you have any suggestions or anybody else on this board?

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Curios what the remaining convos are about lol. Chychrun dumba. I don’t think he’s in on parayko that contract is simply too large.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
We just cannot give up the center depth in Greig. Look what happened this year with the Norris injury. Do we want Gambrell as our 3C lol?

Stu
Norris
Pinto
Greig
Kasty

Is phenomenal center depth.

If there is a Chychrun trade that focuses on futures and ancillary pieces like JBD, Thompson, Sokolov etc. then I think we can get something done but that's going to mean no 1st this year and it makes me uneasy. I also don't see AZ selling low.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

Chabot at 8 AAV
Sanderson at say 7 AAV

Yes, based on all of the spreadsheets or CapFriendly tables I've seen, it gets pretty tough to squeeze in a defender (or another player) that has a cap hit greater than $6 m assuming that Debrincat stays on the roster next year. To add a player above a $6 m cap hit, there's going to have to be some sizable/significant adjustments (subtractions) that a lot of people aren't going to like.

Last edited:

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
No not Tom Wilson but a poor mans Tom Wilson.
Hard to say as to who you could get, more just a dream. Ok i will throw a name out there and he has been mentioned on this board by a few posters this season....Lawson Crouse. He has had a great season this year on a horrible Arizona team. My only worry is that was it just a one off??? Also he makes $4.3 million. Because of his salary that doesn't make him a poor man's Tom Wilson.
Do you have any suggestions or anybody else on this board?

My point is you're describing a very hard player to find. There aren't many bottom 6 guys putting up 40-50 points, let alone ones who are intimidating fighters.

This is where Trent Mann would want me to mention that Tyler Boucher, in a best case scenario, has this kind of profile.

Reactions: ChurchOfAlfie

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Yes, based on all of the spreadsheets or CapFriendly tables I've seen, it gets pretty tough to squeeze in a defender (or another player) that has a cap hit greater than $6 m assuming that Debrincat stays on the roster. To add a player above a $6 m cap hit, there's going to have to be some sizable/significant adjustments (subtractions) that a lot of people aren't going to like.
So much hinges on Debrincat. This summer should be interesting.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
That doesnt mean he is holding San Jose randsom to come to Ottawa or that its the preferred destination.

Can confirm its absolutely not the situation.

I am still of the opinion that if Debrincat isnt willing to sign an extension they have to trade him by friday even if they win on Thursday. They have to protect an asset that is that valuable.
Who would you go after to replace him?

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
So much hinges on Debrincat. This summer should be interesting.
True. That's a large & important decision they need to make. There was some info out there that they'd wait until past the TDL to make the decision on Debrincat, but I found that idea kind of interesting if not odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad