Not open for further replies.

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
Still can't believe that happened.

To recap:

- Florida was interested enough in Hoffman to trade a 2nd+ for him
- Dorion didn't want to trade him in the division for some inexplicable reason
- Decides to trade him for a far worse player and a cap dump in Boedker
- Doug Wilson actually has the stones to request the Sens downgrade a pick for the priviledge of swapping the two players
- Immediately afterwards Wilson trades him back in the Sens division to Florida for a 2nd+

One of the most embarrassing things I've ever seen from a GM.
I wonder if Pierre had the balls to call him back and give Doug a blast.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
You seem to get really upset when Dorion's previous failings as GM get pointed out.

I'm sure you'd prefer no one realize what a piss poor job he did during his early years as GM, but I'd hope more rational minds take his full track record of GM into consideration when judging whether he' done a good job or not overall.
It's pretty impressive how quickly you guys erect these strawmen to tear them down so savagely. Must be like some sort of world record or something. Oh, btw, ya boring!!

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Trading Debrincat for picks makes no sense imo unless we have a Giroux 2.0 up our sleeves. We need picks, but we just gave up futures for him. Trading him away for futures would just be one step forward, one step back.

True, but it also gave us a shot at signing him.

I'm generally OK with futures back as long as its a strong enough package to eventually use as bait to replace Debrincat. Always some team in cap issues trying to dump good players.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
I would rather go a different route to find the player as this team needs some futures. You cant have nothing coming when they are going to need to either fill holes with ELC's or need assets to trade for a difference maker when the time is right.
I agree with the sentiment, just not sure this is the trade to do it. I have my doubts that Cat will return a future asset that is "can't-miss", so I guess it's hinges on what you think he could return.
If DeBrincat is traded I would expect the most interested suitors to be DET, CAR, NSH and ANA.

Those teams have enough cap space to throw a 8x8 contract at DeBrincat and keep him long-term, assuming he'd be interested in signing with them.

Fabbri/Kubalik + NYI 1st
Rees + CAR 1st
Trenin + EDM 1st
Comtois + ANA 2nd

That's the type of package I would expect coming back. Maybe add a C prospect or an extra 2nd/3rd to the package if the team gets to discuss an extension pre-trade (like Dorion should have done) and confirms interest in a long-term deal.
I have a strong inkling that if Debrincat goes to Anaheim, Henrique is coming back.

I'm generally OK with futures back as long as its a strong enough package to eventually use as bait to replace Debrincat. Always some team in cap issues trying to dump good players.
Agreed, but if theres a time to take advantage of that, its this summer.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

To recap:

- Doug Wilson actually has the stones to request the Sens downgrade a pick for the priviledge of swapping the two players
- Immediately afterwards Wilson trades him back in the Sens division to Florida for a 2nd+

Don't forget that Hoffman also went on to have his best seasons of his career to finish out the contract.

Reactions: bicboi64 and bert

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa

To recap:

I've never forgotten. Best part was with how fast the second trade happened you just know Wilson was talking with Florida on the side while negotiating the deal with Dorion.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
If DeBrincat is traded I would expect the most interested suitors to be DET, CAR, NSH and ANA.

Those teams have enough cap space to throw a 8x8 contract at DeBrincat and keep him long-term, assuming he'd be interested in signing with them.

Fabbri/Kubalik + NYI 1st
Rees + CAR 1st
Trenin + EDM 1st
Comtois + ANA 2nd

That's the type of package I would expect coming back. Maybe add a C prospect or an extra 2nd/3rd to the package if the team gets to discuss an extension pre-trade (like Dorion should have done) and confirms interest in a long-term deal.
The Detroit and Nashville deals seem the best imo

Reactions: bashbros32

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Debrincat extended to Detroit for their 1st round pick.

Then take that pick plus Brannstrom and Joseph to Arizona for Keller

Tkachuk/Stutzle/Giroux
Keller/Norris/Batherson

Done and done

Frees up money to sign Sanderson
I’d rather use those assets to see if can get Saros.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I have a strong inkling that if Debrincat goes to Anaheim, Henrique is coming back.

I could see that. Only a year left on his deal but he'd be a good 2nd line LW replacement.

Question is whether he'd waive his NTC and if he'd be interested in to staying beyond next season.

I assume the ask from Detroit would be higher than for other teams given they are in the division and they will try to compete with us for a bubble spot next year.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
How 'bout a deal with Vancouver.
Debrincat and Joseph for Boeser and Garland ;

Boeser has 3 years left at 6.65
Garland has 4 years left at 4.95

Possibly a little more money (11.6) than extending Debrincat at 8+ and Joseph's 2.95 (10.95) but it would give us a scoring forward to play in the top 6 and Garland would give the 3rd line a big boost. Beavillier (4.15) may be an option as well

I don't know if Vancouver does this but there have been some rumors over this past year about both these players being available.

Not a chance lol?

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Dorion seems to pick the bad dumps.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013

To recap:

Honestly this trade was f***ing foul. Any other GM would have got canned the next day.

I am surprised Dorion was ready to work with Doug again on one of the biggest trades in franchise history. I hope Dorion roasted Doug over the trade at a GM meeting or two.

Reactions: bicboi64

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I love it when a “guru” agrees with me on Varlamov.
Maybe Dorion should hire him as a consultant. He probably has more data on the available goalies than Dorion could collect between now and the summer.

He is very complimentary of Pierre Groulx's work so not likely.

Reactions: Cosmix and GCK

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Debrincat, Giroux and Batherson are all very similar players. It clearly didnt work having two on the same line. Theres going to be natural progression for Pinto too.
Those three players aren't similar at all.

DeBrincat is a shooter. He's 450 games into his career and has more goals than assists. Sure it's only one more goal, but it's not common to be that far into your career and have more goals. He's clearly a shoot first player.

Giroux is a play making centre/winger. They should actually complement one another well. We'll see how that might work out next year.

Both are smart intelligent players.

Batherson has had an off year due to the ankle. But his best hockey, hockey that a year ago had guys thinking he was our best player, was hard heavy physical crash and bang hockey with Norris and Tkachuk. Not hockey that DeBrincat and Giroux are well suited for.

We never really got to see
Tkachuk Norris Batherson
DeBrincat Stuetzle Giroux

But I'm hoping we do next year.

Reactions: Cosmix

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Those three players aren't similar at all.

DeBrincat is a shooter. He's 450 games into his career and has more goals than assists. Sure it's only one more goal, but it's not common to be that far into your career and have more goals. He's clearly a shoot first player.

Giroux is a play making centre/winger. They should actually complement one another well. We'll see how that might work out next year.

Both are smart intelligent players.

Batherson has had an off year due to the ankle. But his best hockey, hockey that a year ago had guys thinking he was our best player, was hard heavy physical crash and bang hockey with Norris and Tkachuk. Not hockey that DeBrincat and Giroux are well suited for.

We never really got to see
Tkachuk Norris Batherson
DeBrincat Stuetzle Giroux

But I'm hoping we do next year.
I'm all on board Stutzle with DeBrincat and reuniting the OG top line.

Reactions: bicboi64

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
I was looking at Nashville’s roster and I honestly can’t see DeBrincat going there. Forsberg’s concussion, Duchene’s hand, Johanson’s leg. I mean I think the organization may go full rebuild, especially with Trotz as GM.

Detroit has cap space, prospects and the willingness to add. Rasmussen is 6’6” hmmm…

bashbros32

Jan 12, 2014
Brockville, Ontario

Imo only the detroit deal even seems close to fair...
I assume the ask from Detroit would be higher than for other teams given they are in the division and they will try to compete with us for a bubble spot next year.

I would not be ok trading DBC for a 3rd liner and a mid-late first... Trenin has never eclipsed 25 points... and Comtois has only broken 20 points once, 3 years ago... Rees was an interesting prospect at the draft, but now he's 22 and got outscored in the AHL by Maxime Lajoie...
I was looking at Nashville’s roster and I honestly can’t see DeBrincat going there. Forsberg’s concussion, Duchene’s hand, Johanson’s leg. I mean I think the organization may go full rebuild, especially with Trotz as GM.

Detroit has cap space, prospects and the willingness to add. Rasmussen is 6’6” hmmm…

I don't think Detroit wants to deal either of Rasmussen or Soderblom lol.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Well they have a certain prospect. Defence man. Forget his name….. @Sens of Anarchy

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
We aren’t going to deal DBC to Detroit. We are in direct competition with them, and they are rebuilding as well. They aren’t going to want to give up a good young prospect or player any more than we did when we acquired DBC.

So maybe we get picks? Not really interested in that personally.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Well they have a certain prospect. Defence man. Forget his name….. @Sens of Anarchy
Edvinsson?

We aren’t going to deal DBC to Detroit. We are in direct competition with them, and they are rebuilding as well. They aren’t going to want to give up a good young prospect or player any more than we did when we acquired DBC.

So maybe we get picks? Not really interested in that personally.
If we dont deal him where he is willing to sign longterm the return is greatly diminished

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Edvinsson?

If we dont deal him where he is willing to sign longterm the return is greatly diminished
Maybe, but to me that simply lessens the return if we let him pick one team and that’s where we have to trade him.

Especially when that one team is a close and fierce rival going forward.

I’d rather trade him to a team that was interested in wooing him for a year to get an extension, lots of popular US teams out there that could pitch him well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad