Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
People will say stutzle needs Brady. But stutzle needs to keep elevating to where he can play between anyone and it be a great line.
I tend to agree. It’s been nice while he’s young, and transitioned to centre, but if we can get the band back together for the top line, and then have Stu activate DBC with G being generally awesome, it should be a great line.

I want a Sakic Forsberg 1-2 punch! Is that too much to ask….

Reactions: bicboi64 and Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I tend to agree. It’s been nice while he’s young, and transitioned to centre, but if we can get the band back together for the top line, and then have Stu activate DBC with G being generally awesome, it should be a great line.

I want a Sakic Forsberg 1-2 punch! Is that too much to ask….
I also want a Chris Neil type on board for a playoff run; not to mention a Carkner-McGrattan type to address the cheap shot artists with high elbows who run our players from behind or attack our smaller skilled players (remember Boyle and Kane going after Karlsson). We have no player on the roster who can do that, other than Tkachuk who should stick to playing offensively.

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
I would expect we'd be granting permission to discuss extension with DeBrincat pre-trade with teams interested in him,
That would make the most sense for the Senators if they think Debrincat is wanting to leave, or won't sign the contract being offered.

Otherwise, I'd think the trade return will rather soft. $9 m and a one-year term isn't the most appealing type of contract even for a good player.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If we have to move DeBrincat because he doesn't want to extend here, id target a goalie and middle 6 winger package,

Swayman+ Coyle
Vejmelka+ Crouse

Alternatively sign a guy like Rantaa or Varlamov and chase a younger middle six guy with upside, or take on a less favourable contract but guy that can still play to improve the picks returned

DanyHeatley

Dec 6, 2016
If we have to move DeBrincat because he doesn't want to extend here, id target a goalie and middle 6 winger package,

Swayman+ Coyle
Vejmelka+ Crouse

Alternatively sign a guy like Rantaa or Varlamov and chase a younger middle six guy with upside, or take on a less favourable contract but guy that can still play to improve the picks returned
why would any of those teams give up that much if they can just pry him out during the off-season for nothing after his QO expires. There won’t be a bidding war for him in TDL, OTT will need him in the playoffs

Reactions: NB613 and bert

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Swayman+ Coyle
Vejmelka+ Crouse

Both would be good. Debrusk would be good out of Boston as well. Coyle has been a good player .. age and term could be a reason he'd be available but also a bit riskier.

Reactions: Micklebot

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott

Swayman+ Coyle
Vejmelka+ Crouse

I don't think the quality in a return would be that high. There won't be all that many suitors for a 5'8 LWer who's coming off a down year and is looking for a big payday (and will cost $9M next year if there is not extension in place).

Decent middle 6 player (someone like Henrique) + prospect (could be a goalie) + pick.

Reactions: NB613 and bicboi64

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
why would any of those teams give up that much if they can just pry him out during the off-season for nothing after his QO expires. There won’t be a bidding war for him in TDL, OTT will need him in the playoffs
Well Boston can't fit him without shipping out salary so no they can't just pray him out during the offseason, Swayman himself will be tough to fit given their cap situation, they might be losing him anyways and won't be getting a player of Debrincat's caliber if they are forced to move him.

Arz is probably tougher sell, as I'm not sure DeBrincat would extend there, but if he's willing that's the type of framework I'd be after.

I'm not saying we're going to recoup the 7oa, 2nd 3rd we gave up for him in a trade, but he's not without value, people need to stop acting like the sky is falling.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I don't think the quality in a return would be that high. There won't be all that many suitors for a 5'8 LWer who's coming off a down year and is looking for a big payday (and will cost $9M next year if there is not extension in place).

Decent middle 6 player (someone like Henrique) + prospect (could be a goalie) + pick.
If we trade him early enough, the team acquiring him can pre-negotiate an extension, alternatively we or the team can take him to arbitration, it's not a guarantee by any means that he will cost 9 mil next year.

It's nice spin to describe him as a 5'8 winger, but he's also a multi time 40 goal scorer and has the 14th most goals in the league since 2018. One description is an attribute, the other is of his performance, he'll be fine.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Both would be good. Debrusk would be good out of Boston as well. Coyle has been a good player .. age and term could be a reason he'd be available but also a bit riskier.
I don't think they'd want to move Debrusk, wasn't he only asking out before the coaching change?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I don't think they'd want to move Debrusk, wasn't he only asking out before the coaching change?
He'd be tougher to pry out for sure. If we could get one like him in that 2/3 winger role it would be nice though

Boston may be a good team to target .. they'd be looking to retool and could likely lose Krejci and Bergeron

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Well Boston can't fit him without shipping out salary so no they can't just pray him out during the offseason, Swayman himself will be tough to fit given their cap situation, they might be losing him anyways and won't be getting a player of Debrincat's caliber if they are forced to move him.

Arz is probably tougher sell, as I'm not sure DeBrincat would extend there, but if he's willing that's the type of framework I'd be after.

I'm not saying we're going to recoup the 7oa, 2nd 3rd we gave up for him in a trade, but he's not without value, people need to stop acting like the sky is falling.
Well his value is low relative to the price that was paid to retain him. The only way they recoup anything close is if he is willing to sign an extension with that team.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Well his value is low relative to the price that was paid to retain him. The only way they recoup anything close is if he is willing to sign an extension with that team.
Absolutely need to move him to a team willing to extend him that he wants to go to

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Sure, if not we should get the rental rice, which wi deend on whether we retain on the deal.

I suspect we'll find a team he's willing to sing with if it comes to trading him though, that's usually how these things work out.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I wouldnt move him for Debrincat if I am Boston. The way he plays and his motor is exactly what the sens are missing and fits into the identity of Boston.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I wouldnt move him for Debrincat if I am Boston. The way he plays and his motor is exactly what the sens are missing and fits into the identity of Boston.
If I had to chose between them in a bubble I'd go with DeBrincat, but when you factor in acquisition cost, contracts, and knowing DeBrusk fits already, from Boston's perspective I'd pass too.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
If we trade him early enough, the team acquiring him can pre-negotiate an extension, alternatively we or the team can take him to arbitration, it's not a guarantee by any means that he will cost 9 mil next year.

It's nice spin to describe him as a 5'8 winger, but he's also a multi time 40 goal scorer and has the 14th most goals in the league since 2018. One description is an attribute, the other is of his performance, he'll be fine.

Right, but Jeremy Swayman is a 24-year-old goalie who just put up a .920 SV% in 37 games. The previous season he put up a .914 SV% in 41 games. The year before that, .945 in 10 games. Having him paired with Ullmark is one of the main reasons the Bruins are so good, and he'll eventually take over full-time in 2-3 years. Who would they trade him and Coyle, who is a serviceable middle-6 player, to add Debrincat when they already have Pastrnak, Marchand, Hall and Debrusk on the wings?

Doesn't make much, if any, sense for them.

The Yotes deal is closer to fair in value, but I don't see Arizona ponying up a big contract for Debrincat at this stage of their rebuild.

Once you start narrowing down the teams that would have a need (and cap room) for a player like Debrincat, plus factor in whether DBC would re-sign there, you quickly get to a pretty small list. Ottawa needs to hope that he's willing to sign here for 7.5-8M, because if you're trading him, you probably are going to get 70 cents on the dollar.

If Vegas loses in the first round, maybe you could do something like Debrincat for Marchessault + and try to extend Marchessault for 2-3 years.

I mean, really, who could we say would be interested and a fit for both parties?

Anaheim if they want to make a bigger step next year?
Nashville?
St.Louis?
Carolina, potentially?
Philadelphia if we take Hayes back?

Last edited:

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Forget moving anything for Swayman, offer sheet him for $4 million 3 seasons. Not a bad price for a 2nd round, and if Boston matches we can poach some of their other depth.

Reactions: JD1

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Right, but Jeremy Swayman is a 24-year-old goalie who just put up a .920 SV% in 37 games. The previous season he put up a .914 SV% in 41 games. The year before that, .945 in 10 games. Having him paired with Ullmark is one of the main reasons the Bruins are so good, and he'll eventually take over full-time in 2-3 years. Who would they trade him and Coyle, who is a serviceable middle-6 player, to add Debrincat when they already have Pastrnak, Marchand, Hall and Debrusk on the wings?

Doesn't make much, if any, sense for them.
Goalies don't have a lot of trade value generally speaking, and Boston is over the barrel wrt cap space, I suspect Swayman (or possibly Ulmark) is gone one way or another next year, an offersheet to Swayman could force Boston's hand and only cost the acquiring team a 2nd.

You make a good point about them being fairly loaded wingers, maybe instead of Coyle it's a winger coming back, DeBrusk and Hall being the more realistic options,

The Yotes deal is closer to fair in value, but I don't see Arizona ponying up a big contract for Debrincat at this stage of their rebuild.
Yotes would be a tougher sell, I agree there, my point was more about the type of deal I'd be looking for rather than the specific pieces and teams, but who knows, Arz has surprised me before
Once you start narrowing down the teams that would have a need (plus cap room) for a player like Debrincat, you quickly get to a pretty small list.
Ottawa needs to hope that he's willing to sign here for 7.5-8M, because if you're trading him, you probably are going to get 70 cents on the dollar.

If Vegas loses in the first round, maybe you could do something like Debrincat for Marchessault + and try to extend Marchessault for 2-3 years.
Teams find a way when top players are involved, the whole idea is us being willing to take back salary to make it work, as opposed to the usual only looking for futures. We need a roster player to fill the spot he leaves,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad