Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Jesus christ on a cracker.
I havent written the kid off. I am just saying so far he has been timid at the NHL level. He needs to play in the AHL to get the confidence playing against grown men and not 21 year olds.
I think he looked like he was focusing in making sure his defence was on point.

Sanderson made a good point when talking about his own game, he said that on new teams he likes to focus on his D first, and get that sorted out before attempting to add offence to his game.

I suspect Kleven is doing the same thing. He wants to make sure that he is doing all the little things right, and that he is playing his defensive game properly before adding bruising physicality to his game. He has to learn when he can throw hits, and get his timing sorted out.

In my opinion he’ll have to learn that at the NHL level no matter how long he plays in the AHL. The good news is that his confidence with the puck looked good, and his defensive instincts looked good. He even looked comfortable shooting the puck and making a some moves in the offensive zone.

Like you, I think, I would like to see him be more physical as we progress. I suspect that he will probably start in the AHL, not just because of the minutes and experience to be gained, but his team waiver status would allow us to have a nice long look at JBD and Tompson (one or both) before having to expose either or to waivers.

Reactions: Cosmix

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Forget moving anything for Swayman, offer sheet him for $4 million 3 seasons. Not a bad price for a 2nd round, and if Boston matches we can poach some of their other depth.
I am good with that option too, the idea of trading for him though is you can potentially get him under a more favourable contract.

Reactions: bicboi64

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Goalies don't have a lot of trade value generally speaking, and Boston is over the barrel wrt cap space, I suspect Swayman (or possibly Ulmark) is gone one way or another next year, an offersheet to Swayman could force Boston's hand and only cost the acquiring team a 2nd.

You make a good point about them being fairly loaded wingers, maybe instead of Coyle it's a winger coming back, DeBrusk and Hall being the more realistic options,

Yotes would be a tougher sell, I agree there, my point was more about the type of deal I'd be looking for rather than the specific pieces and teams, but who knows, Arz has surprised me before

Teams find a way when top players are involved, the whole idea is us being willing to take back salary to make it work, as opposed to the usual only looking for futures. We need a roster player to fill the spot he leaves,

Ullmark only makes $5M. I don't think they'll have much of a problem keeping that tandem together, even if it costs them a combined $9-10M. But if they had to choose, I bet they'd keep Swayman over Ullmark.

Debrusk scored 27 goals in 64 games last year, and with the style he plays, I think the Bruins would rather have him than DBC.
Hall has a NTC and I very much bet we'd be on it. I don't think he has any desire to leave Boston and come back to a small Canadian market.

I agree that we'd want to get a roster player back, but it won't be that easy to find that roster player. They'll need to be on a team where DBC would re-sign. They'll need to not have a NMC/NTC (or want to play in Ottawa). It'll probably have to be someone who's a) older b) doesn't fit into their current team's long-term plans and c) not on a bargain contract. I think you're looking at guys like:

- Adam Henrique
- Jonathan Marchessault
- Ryan Johansen
- Kevin Hayes
- Cam Atkinson

Take one of them, add a depth piece/close to making the NHL prospect plus a mid to late 1st or early 2nd... and I think that's what you end up with.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Forget moving anything for Swayman, offer sheet him for $4 million 3 seasons. Not a bad price for a 2nd round, and if Boston matches we can poach some of their other depth.
I think Boston matches in any scenario and moves things around to make it work. They won't let him go for nothing.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Ullmark only makes $5M. I don't think they'll have much of a problem keeping that tandem together, even if it costs them a combined $9-10M. But if they had to choose, I bet they'd keep Swayman over Ullmark.
It's not about their combined cost us about the reality that they are in cap hell next year with 8 roster spots to fill and about 9 mil to do it, and that doesn't include the 4.5 mil in bonus overages that Krejci and Bergeron earned, so really they have 5 mil

I suspect they'll be moving on from Swayman, Orlov, and Bertuzzi since any of them will eat pretty much their entire cap space.

Debrusk scored 27 goals in 64 games last year, and with the style he plays, I think the Bruins would rather have him than DBC.
Hall has a NTC and I very much bet we'd be on it. I don't think he has any desire to leave Boston and come back to a small Canadian market.
Sure, which is all part of why they are in a really tough spot, the guys teams will want they'd rather keep and the ones they like to move have NTC.
I agree that we'd want to get a roster player back, but it won't be that easy to find that roster player. They'll need to be on a team where DBC would re-sign. They'll need to not have a NMC/NTC (or want to play in Ottawa). It'll probably have to be someone who's a) older b) doesn't fit into their current team's long-term plans and c) not on a bargain contract. I think you're looking at guys like:

- Adam Henrique
- Jonathan Marchessault
- Ryan Johansen
- Kevin Hayes
- Cam Atkinson

Take one of them, add a depth piece/close to making the NHL prospect plus a mid to late 1st or early 2nd... and I think that's what you end up with.
It's not that we want a roster piece back, it's that we have the flexibility to accept one back. If the deal for a roster player doesn't benefit is we can look to UFA,

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
part of the reason I want to offer sheet boston is to screw them over. Yeah they might try to do the same back to us, but can't stand the Bruins

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
It's not about their combined cost us about the reality that they are in cap hell next year with 8 roster spots to fill and about 9 mil to do it, and that doesn't include the 4.5 mil in bonus overages that Krejci and Bergeron earned, so really they have 5 mil

I suspect they'll be moving on from Swayman, Orlov, and Bertuzzi since any of them will eat pretty much their entire cap space.

Sure, which is all part of why they are in a really tough spot, the guys teams will want they'd rather keep and the ones they like to move have NTC.

It's not that we want a roster piece back, it's that we have the flexibility to accept one back. If the deal for a roster player doesn't benefit is we can look to UFA,

Orlov and Bertuzzi, sure. Those guys were acquired, most likely, as rentals. Swayman? I don't see it. Florida found a way to re-sign Spencer Knight, even with Bobrovsky on the books. Boston will find a way to keep Swayman. Cap squeezes hardly ever result in teams losing their top young players. It's veterans who are the victims. The Bruins get out from the Grzelczyk and Forbort deals before they consider moving on from Swayman. Hell, Carlo is more likely to be dealt than Swayman.

And sure, we have the flexibility to accept a roster player back. But not just any roster player. We're looking for a 2nd line LWer. We're not looking for any contract. We probably don't want Parayko back, for example. And that would likely be an option. We have our own cap crunch. We're not flush with money and just looking to fill any spot.

Here are the criteria that need to be met:

• We have to find a team that wants to upgrade their LW position
• That team has to be a market where Debrincat would extend
• That team has to be willing to pay Debrincat ~8x8M
• That team has to have a middle-6 LWer, without a NTC, who they could send back to plug the whole we created by trade Debrincat

Will it be impossible to make deal? No. Will it be easy? No.

I just don't think we'll get a piece like Swayman back. Boston isn't giving him up, nor does Debrincat fill any sort of need for them.

Last edited:

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

- Adam Henrique
- Jonathan Marchessault
- Ryan Johansen
- Kevin Hayes
- Cam Atkinson

After trading Dean for Barbashev, I don't think Vegas will be interested in DeBrincat.

Still pissed we didn't confirm whether DeBrincat would re-sign by the deadline.

Definitely missed out on a better return by holding onto him.

Reactions: h2owned

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
If we have to move DeBrincat because he doesn't want to extend here, id target a goalie and middle 6 winger package,
Swayman+ Coyle
Vejmelka+ Crouse

Alternatively sign a guy like Rantaa or Varlamov and chase a younger middle six guy with upside, or take on a less favourable contract but guy that can still play to improve the picks returned

Oh man I’d be all over that

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think he looked like he was focusing in making sure his defence was on point.

Sanderson made a good point when talking about his own game, he said that on new teams he likes to focus on his D first, and get that sorted out before attempting to add offence to his game.

I suspect Kleven is doing the same thing. He wants to make sure that he is doing all the little things right, and that he is playing his defensive game properly before adding bruising physicality to his game. He has to learn when he can throw hits, and get his timing sorted out.

In my opinion he’ll have to learn that at the NHL level no matter how long he plays in the AHL. The good news is that his confidence with the puck looked good, and his defensive instincts looked good. He even looked comfortable shooting the puck and making a some moves in the offensive zone.

Like you, I think, I would like to see him be more physical as we progress. I suspect that he will probably start in the AHL, not just because of the minutes and experience to be gained, but his team waiver status would allow us to have a nice long look at JBD and Tompson (one or both) before having to expose either or to waivers.
Kleven at 21 yrs old also has to be careful that if he throws a big hit he might have to defend it against some older tougher NHL players. Who knows how comfortable he is at dropping the gloves & whether there will be someone on the ice at that time to help. Other teams will target someone who hurts one of their players, there is a code.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Zero chance the Bruins don’t match a 2nd round offer sheet for Swayman.
How are they fitting him and the 7 other roster spots they need to fill under the cap with the 4.5 mil bonus carryover penalty they have thanks to the krejci and Bergeron deals?

If they match, that's fine, it will mean they have to ship out other good players. Something has to give.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
How are they fitting him and the 7 other roster spots they need to fill under the cap with the 4.5 mil bonus carryover penalty they have thanks to the krejci and Bergeron deals?

If they match, that's fine, it will mean they have to ship out other good players. Something has to give.
Absolutely, they’ll shuffle the deck over the summer for futures

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Sure, if not we should get the rental rice, which wi deend on whether we retain on the deal.

I suspect we'll find a team he's willing to sing with if it comes to trading him though, that's usually how these things work out.
Are you on the special concoctions again? :)

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Listened to chychrun on the coming In hot podcast.

Sorry but debrincat was one of the guys that went back to chychrun room. The guy was in bed with chychrun and Batherson and they started Narcos together. The only ways he doesn’t stay is if his wife hates the city. The guy is a sen

Reactions: Crosside

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Absolutely, they’ll shuffle the deck over the summer for futures
It will be pretty tight even if they do, I think they have 5 mil after penalties in cap space and 8 roster spots to fill.

4 mil for Swayman and league min contracts for the rest and they're about 5 mil over the cap.

They'll need to keep some room in case of injuries too, they'll likely try to move Hall, but once you add the warm body that replaces him in the lineup your right up against the cap again and that's with now 8 league min contracts on your roster.

The better make the best of this run because i
They won't have another opptthis good anytime soon.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I think Boston matches in any scenario and moves things around to make it work. They won't let him go for nothing.
A couple seconds wouldn’t be nothing or whatever the cost of the sheet is. Yea they have a great thing going but do we have an example of a team having a 1a 1b long term? Usually something has to give they’re not going to keep both forever

Kinda sounds like the only teams with cap issues in the sens. And everyone else can just easily navigate around lol.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
A couple seconds wouldn’t be nothing or whatever the cost of the sheet is. Yea they have a great thing going but do we have an example of a team having a 1a 1b long term? Usually something has to give they’re not going to keep both forever

Kinda sounds like the only teams with cap issues in the sens. And everyone else can just easily navigate around lol.
Cost is one second up to 4.2, after that it's a 1st and a 3rd.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Listened to chychrun on the coming In hot podcast.

Sorry but debrincat was one of the guys that went back to chychrun room. The guy was in bed with chychrun and Batherson and they started Narcos together. The only ways he doesn’t stay is if his wife hates the city. The guy is a sen
...I now want more info of what each player likes to watch so I can judge them even more/less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad