Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
No it’s not, that’s ignoring all that goes into that type of decision.

- Has a 9 million dollar QO. Does that make him less inclined to worry about a long term deal prior to July? Very likely.

- Does he want to stay in Ottawa, or would he and his wife rather be in the States? There’s obviously some credence that they may rather choose where they’re living the next 8 years rather than just being put in a place like last July.

- Can Ottawa realistically offer him what he is looking for, and does that fit in the cap and identity structure of the team? Don’t think that’s very likely.

- Will there be teams ok the UFA market who will be able to give him a deal he’s looking for? I’m not sure about that either, I don’t think he’s worth as much as his numbers with Kane and the Hawks will dictate his salary.

There are lots more to read into the situation than he hasn’t signed yet. The same way there was lots more to read into Stone, or Duchene.
plus all the roster planning stuff .. which can entail a bit regarding cap management short and long term along with addressing team needs..

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Very little leverage trading Debrincat to Detroit , it’s possible Cat wants to go there and Detroit knows he is a year out of free agency , why help set up a team in the division is what they will be thinking

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Love the idea but I don’t think there’s much fit from Washington’s side.

They’ve still got the greatest scorer of all time in DeBrincat’s spot on the PP which would likely diminish their interest in picking him up and his interest in extending.
Yeah I could see that being an issue. I was thinking more along the lines that the Capitals are unlikely to trade their primary forwards in Ovechkin, Backstrom, Kuznetzov and Oshie. It is an old core with Ovechkin at 37, Backstrom at 35 and Oshie at 36. Kuznetzov is 30 and even on the back end Carlson is 33 and Jensen is 32.

I think their organization has a challenge of both trying to stay competitive with the old core and setting themselves up to have some good pieces in the future so maybe they aren't forced to go through a massive and lengthy rebuild.

Wilson will be in the final year of his contract and is 29 years old. They could lock him up long term but they will still be stuck with a fairly old core and very few quality younger players.

Maybe it wouldn't be feasible but I do think a DeBrincat for Wilson trade could help address some of their organizational issues. It helps them both stay competitive with an older core and gets them a younger core player to build around as the older core ages themselves out of the league.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
The Sens need to get rid of Joseph this offseason as he is far too expensive for what he brings to the table.

One bottom six UFA that could be a good target is Miles Wood.

Reactions: Alex1234

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Yeah I could see that being an issue. I was thinking more along the lines that the Capitals are unlikely to trade their primary forwards in Ovechkin, Backstrom, Kuznetzov and Oshie. It is an old core with Ovechkin at 37, Backstrom at 35 and Oshie at 36. Kuznetzov is 30 and even on the back end Carlson is 33 and Jensen is 32.

I think their organization has a challenge of both trying to stay competitive with the old core and setting themselves up to have some good pieces in the future so maybe they aren't forced to go through a massive and lengthy rebuild.

Wilson will be in the final year of his contract and is 29 years old. They could lock him up long term but they will still be stuck with a fairly old core and very few quality younger players.

Maybe it wouldn't be feasible but I do think a DeBrincat for Wilson trade could help address some of their organizational issues. It helps them both stay competitive with an older core and gets them a younger core player to build around as the older core ages themselves out of the league.
I am attracted by the idea of getting Wilson who will cost less for next season; however, Wilson is 4 years older and would need a new contract. He certainly is the type of big, tough, physical forward who can score I would like to add to the team. He would make the Senators far tougher team to play against.

Just take Raymond, makes it much more simple

Detroit doesn’t touch it with a 10ft pole though I wouldn’t think.
Does P.L. Dubois want to play in Ottawa? I never heard anyone say that.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

the discourse when debrincat scores 40 and Wilson’s age catches up to him here will be unbearable

Reactions: PlayersLtd

Mookie McGee

Mar 4, 2020
Debrincat + Chabot for solid big body 30 goal forward, low point, steady top 4 defenseman on a reasonable contract + ???

Clears cap space, we have enough scoring with Chychrun and Sanderson in the top 4, and gets rid of the risk of giving Debrincat too much cash for a long term contract of 25 -30 goals.

Would've considered Troy Terry + Cam Fowler close to straight up if Fowler was right shot, a bit younger.

JaredCowen4Norris

Jul 9, 2020
If we have to trade DeBrincat, maybe we look at something with Philly.

OTT:
DeBrincat (with long-term extension in place)
Grieg

PHI:
Konecny
Laughton

Philly gets an upgrade in DeBrincat over Konecny and we get proper depth in Laughton for Grieg who's more of an unknown at this point. Both guys we'd be getting are affordable and come off the books at ideal times.

Re-sign RFAs: Brann @ 2 x $2,000,000 / Pinto @ 2 x $2,500,000 / Gauthier @ 1 x $1,000,000.

Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
Konecny - Stutzle - Giroux
Laughton - Pinto - Joseph
Crookshank - Kastelic - Gauthier

Chabot - Chychrun
Brannstrom - Sanderson
Kleven - Zub

Forsberg
Sogaard

Team comes in just under the cap for the 2023-24 season and then we'd have $13,000,000 the following offseason to re-sign our young guys.

Goaltending would still be a question mark, but our D should be a lot better as our young guys continue to progress. Crookshank could be any of our other young LWs in the AHL.

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
With Calgary missing the playoffs, I wonder if there is any appetite to shake up the team a bit there.

Chabot for weegar. What do you think?

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
If we have to trade DeBrincat, maybe we look at something with Philly.

OTT:
DeBrincat (with long-term extension in place)
Grieg

PHI:
Konecny
Laughton

Philly gets an upgrade in DeBrincat over Konecny and we get proper depth in Laughton for Grieg who's more of an unknown at this point. Both guys we'd be getting are affordable and come off the books at ideal times.

Re-sign RFAs: Brann @ 2 x $2,000,000 / Pinto @ 2 x $2,500,000 / Gauthier @ 1 x $1,000,000.

Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
Konecny - Stutzle - Giroux
Laughton - Pinto - Joseph
Crookshank - Kastelic - Gauthier

Chabot - Chychrun
Brannstrom - Sanderson
Kleven - Zub

Forsberg
Sogaard

That's a spectacular forward line-up, imo. I'd rather keep Greig for cap reasons, sign Formenton/similar and use cap on another security measure in net.

Only issue is Konecny only has 2 more years.

Reactions: NB613

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
It could be tough to get proper value for DBC as any receiving team would want to sign him right away. There’s only certain teams who will be able to afford him and there are likely only a select number of teams that DBC would want to sign with. Could be another Mark Stone situation all over again i.e. giving him away for almost free.

Reactions: Alex1234

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
We certainly won’t get what a player of DBC’s caliber “should” get if we move him.

We saw that last year when we gave up a 7th + 39th to get a 24 year old 2 x 40 goal scorer. That’s a load, load of value for a team like the Sens, but for a guy that age with that stat line backing him up, it’s not a very big package.

Of course, when you take everything into account, contract, where and who he was playing with and where he’s going, there was a reason that wasn’t beaten by other teams. It’s not easy to fit a guy like that onto your roster, especially on the first line. I don’t think many will want him to be their top paid forward on a 68-72 million dollar deal.

It’s going to be very interesting to me to see what the market looks like should he become available. I don’t think there is going to be a rush for him as many thought there would be last year when he became available, I think there will be 2/3 teams at most who are seriously considering making a trade for him.

Many contenders would make a trade at the deadline for a 1 year DBC for the playoff push, I’m not sure many teams would be looking to add, or create the room and logjam for an 8 year DBC.

Reactions: NB613

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Is PLD set on Montreal? He seems like he’d be a great fit.

Dubois-Norris-Batherson would make a great second line.
Dubois acted like a petulant child in Columbus and literally stopped playing on the ice to get moved. I do not want that kind of shitty attitude anywhere near this team.

Reactions: Puikiou

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Also at the exit interview…you’d think dbc would have made things pretty clear no?

Dubois acted like a petulant child in Columbus and literally stopped playing on the ice to get moved. I do not want that kind of shitty attitude anywhere near this team.
Yeah. And going from Columbus to Winnipeg quite possibly the worst career path ever. But he handles it like shit.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Schmautz11

Oct 5, 2007
With Calgary missing the playoffs, I wonder if there is any appetite to shake up the team a bit there.

Chabot for weegar. What do you think?
Like your thinking but I'd try for Andersson instead. Weegar has too much term on his deal for an older guy. Can't see Calgary going for it but no harm in asking.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I think the best case scenario for DBC if he won't re-sign long term is to trade him for a guy who can comfortably play on your 2nd line and compliments Batherson and Norris/Stutzle.

For example I look at the trade Vegas made for Eichel, they got Tuch ++ and Tuch has been an amazing fit for them even if Eichel is a better player. Obviously DBC is not the player Eichel is but the point is I think we need a solid roster player in return that fits the playing style. I don't know who that would be though.

Otherwise I think you try to sign a guy through free agency to replace him and get the most you can through trade. The team is in a great spot now so definitely will be easier to get a decent UFA. Playing with guys like Norris and Batherson could also be enticing.

Will be interesting to see what happens. There's many options but I really doubt he'd be open to re-sign here and if he did then it would need to make sense so that seems even less likely. I think the team is in a good spot regardless but getting Debrincat will likely sting in the end depending on what the return is.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Detroit isn't moving out Raymond lol. Make the proposals at least somewhat realistic lol.

Also Dubois is going to MTL willing to make a eTransfer bet if you think otherwise.

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
Yeah seems like a foregone conclusion that Dubois is headed to MTL, there’s word of WPG/MTL working out a deal in the off season to just accelerate the process

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think the best case scenario for DBC if he won't re-sign long term is to trade him for a guy who can comfortably play on your 2nd line and compliments Batherson and Norris/Stutzle.

For example I look at the trade Vegas made for Eichel, they got Tuch ++ and Tuch has been an amazing fit for them even if Eichel is a better player. Obviously DBC is not the player Eichel is but the point is I think we need a solid roster player in return that fits the playing style. I don't know who that would be though.

Otherwise I think you try to sign a guy through free agency to replace him and get the most you can through trade. The team is in a great spot now so definitely will be easier to get a decent UFA. Playing with guys like Norris and Batherson could also be enticing.

Will be interesting to see what happens. There's many options but I really doubt he'd be open to re-sign here and if he did then it would need to make sense so that seems even less likely. I think the team is in a good spot regardless but getting Debrincat will likely sting in the end depending on what the return is.

So we don't necessarily become a 1 line team if we lose DeBrincat?
If we move DeBrincat and upgrade Joseph we can have a very good top 9 .. I'd rather build a quality Top 9 team than put all my eggs into the top 6. Joseph has to be moved .. One of the worst cost/pt players in the league. Oh lets move him to the top line... LOL

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad