Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic]

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoSenatorsGo

Nov 9, 2007
I hope we re-sign DeBrincat.

That said, if he is getting traded I hope it’s for an upgrade in net and then replace his spot on LW via FA this summer.

Last edited:

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
My question is who would be the front runners for DeBrincat should that be the way things go. I was thinking St. Louis but cap is tricky.

Personally I think we QO him and he walks after the playoffs next season where we then sign a UFA in a better market with leverage. I think it’s what he wants and what his agent is advising. Maximize his value and cash in big - if that’s Ottawa cool but it’s a business and he’s a commodity.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Who would/could we replace ADC with from FA?

2023 NHL Free Agents Tracker
Plan wouldn’t be to replace him directly. It would be to spread that ~8.5 across the lineup. Get a cheap player, and some capital for the draft or for making a trade.

Brady-Stu-Giroux
Nyqvist/Tatar-Norris-Batherson
Martinhook/Berggren/Neighbors-Pinto-Joseph

With a lineup like that in the top 9, you’re saving a very large amount of both cap and salary moving forward, and would be able to make moves at any area of the lineup. F, D and G.

Get a 4ish million dollar player to step onto the 2nd line let’s say Tatar or Nyqvist, a guy in return for DBC like Martinhook for the 3rd line, still have quite a bit of money to fill out whatever area of the team is leftover, be that up front, on the backend, or on D.

No matter which way it goes, you’re not going to replace an 8.5 million dollar guy with an 8.5 million dollar guy. It’s going to be a committee, spread the money around the lineup approach.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Who would/could we replace ADC with from FA?

2023 NHL Free Agents Tracker
Unless you can get Timo Meier you are not going to replace DBC 1 for 1 imo .. And the cost of Meier could be similar to DBC. What I would do is replace DBC and MJo .. and try to keep that total cost to 8-9m
So you are not getting DBC or his production, but you are improving the 3rd line and the depth.
A bunch to pick from
Killorn, Zacha, Athanasiou, Bunting, Tatar, Compher, Engvall, Zucker, Barbashev...

Could you pick 2 of these and replace DBC and Joseph and keep it under 9m

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
CGY has to shed capspace just to keep their current guys. If Cat wants $9 million and Treliving keeps Sutter and wants to compete, I wonder if we can get some of CGY's players to replace Cat as 2LW. Trade Cat to whomever for assets, but see if a guy like Mangiapane can be acquired.

Looking at the Canes, they don't hesitate to make moves and have some cap coming off with Staal's contract. I wonder if they'd be willing to move Teravainen and a depth piece like Martinook for Cat. We get some cap savings, a legit 2LW that we might be able to re-sign for cheap, and 3rd line winger as well. Throw in some picks/prospects in an exchange to further balance it out.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
So we don't necessarily become a 1 line team if we lose DeBrincat?
If we move DeBrincat and upgrade Joseph we can have a very good top 9 .. I'd rather build a quality Top 9 team than put all my eggs into the top 6. Joseph has to be moved .. One of the worst cost/pt players in the league. Oh lets move him to the top line... LOL
I really don’t think Joseph is moveable without attaching a premium asset like our 2024 1st.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Seeing some suggestions involving Bunting. Huge no for me. He's the kind of player assholes that assholes like Gallagher actually think Stu is. Bunting flops and whines so much from what I see based on living in leafland and watching him when the lads and I get together. Unless its a bargain of a deal, I'd rather go for someone else.

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
Sounds like John Gibson could be looking to move to a contender (according to Friedman on latest podcast). He has 4 years left at $6.4M AAV. He’s pricey but I think he’s the the perfect goalie if we’re trying to kickstart the FYOUS

JaredCowen4Norris

Jul 9, 2020
That's a spectacular forward line-up, imo. I'd rather keep Greig for cap reasons, sign Formenton/similar and use cap on another security measure in net.

Only issue is Konecny only has 2 more years.

Definitely a few ways to go about it. Going to be some tough decisions for Dorion to make. Lots of holes that need to be filled and not a lot of room to maneuver.

Focuses this off season should be:
- Decide on DeBrincat
- Address forward depth
- Solidify goaltending tandem
- Depth defenseman

If we can flip DeBrincat and address forward and goalie depth that would be ideal. Would love to get Formenton back, but I think that will depend on whether we have new ownership or not. They're leaving that decision to whomever buys the team imo.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
He’s owed 11M.
But plenty of teams could use a roster forward that can actually play instead of an AHLer warm body. Joseph might not be a scorer by any means, but he isn't a defensive liability at all. Loads of bottom feeders could use him to meet the cap floor (Anaheim, Sharks, Arizona, CBJ).

I don't think he's an anchor though. He's no Paul or Brown, but he's shown success with Brady- Norris.

If we break up Brady-Stu-Giroux to balance out the scoring, Joseph is a viable option throughout the line up.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I really don’t think Joseph is moveable without attaching a premium asset like our 2024 1st.
Likely falls under the "reclamation project" umbrella. Question is can you give him away for future considerations.. Can he be packaged.. I am not sure ..

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
But plenty of teams could use a roster forward that can actually play instead of an AHLer warm body. Joseph might not be a scorer by any means, but he isn't a defensive liability at all. Loads of bottom feeders could use him to meet the cap floor (Anaheim, Sharks, Arizona, CBJ).

I don't think he's an anchor though. He's no Paul or Brown, but he's shown success with Brady- Norris.

If we break up Brady-Stu-Giroux to balance out the scoring, Joseph is a viable option throughout the line up.

Is vs Could be. And Could be .. should mean we are not penciling him in top 9 imo.
I mean 0 5v5 goals and 3 total. Per 60 Gauthier had better numbers across the board with both the Sens and the Rangers. Its not hard to evaluate him compared to other players 3m and under to see where he sits league wide. I don't get the attraction to this player.

I’d just keep him.
If I can get rid of him without including a higher pick for a lower pick .. I'd do it.
Very replaceable in every way.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Is vs Could be. And Could be .. should mean we are not penciling him in top 9 imo.
I mean 0 5v5 goals and 3 total. Per 60 Gauthier had better numbers across the board with both the Sens and the Rangers. Its not hard to evaluate him compared to other players 3m and under to see where he sits league wide. I don't get the attraction to this player.
Not attraction to say he's not a defensive liability that could bounce back next season. He was shooting at a career worst 4.5%. If he goes anywhere near his career 12.9%, he doesn't look like an offensive sink.

I'm fine to move on from him, but don't think we'd need to attach any picks to move him. Worst case, we have a lateral move where we trade him for a similar cap hit/term and hope change in scenery helps each side out.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Not attraction to say he's not a defensive liability that could bounce back next season.

I'm fine to move on from him, but don't think we'd need to attach any picks to move him. Worst case, we have a lateral move where we trade him for a similar cap hit/term and hope change in scenery helps each side out.
I'd trade him for a B prospect or a low pick , shed my losses, and replace him in free agency.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Joseph would clear waivers. Guaranteed.

This sort of player is impossible to trade in the off-season. There are a billion depth forwards available for free as UFA's.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

If I can get rid of him without including a higher pick for a lower pick .. I'd do it.
Very replaceable in every way.
We could put him on waivers but I doubt he’d be claimed.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Joseph would clear waivers. Guaranteed.

This sort of player is impossible to trade in the off-season. There are a billion depth forwards available for free as UFA's.
Waiving him is an option . Cap hit is buried along with him. They waived Zack Smith a season after he was signed to a 3.25 4 year extension. Aint nobody going to call it a kick in the balls this time.

We could put him on waivers but I doubt he’d be claimed.
just responded to Ouro about this

Reactions: GCK and bicboi64

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Waiving him is an option . Cap hit is buried along with him. They waived Zack Smith a season after he was signed to a 3.25 4 year extension. Aint nobody going to call it a kick in the balls this time.

just responded to Ouro about this
Don't think this helps much. You can only bury 1.125M, so you're still carrying a 1.825M hit with Joseph in Belleville. As poor a season as he just had he's still among the 12 best forwards in the organization.

Once Motte was traded he was the top PK option on the team, and we're likely losing a lot of guys that play that role next season [Watson, Gambrell, Brown].

I don't hate the idea of using him on a scoring line as a support piece. They paid him based on what he did on a line with Tkachuk and Norris and then never put him back in that role.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Don't think this helps much. You can only bury 1.125M, so you're still carrying a 1.825M hit with Joseph in Belleville. As poor a season as he just had he's still among the 12 best forwards in the organization.

Once Motte was traded he was the top PK option on the team, and we're likely losing a lot of guys that play that role next season [Watson, Gambrell, Brown].

I don't hate the idea of using him on a scoring line as a support piece. They paid him based on what he did on a line with Tkachuk and Norris and then never put him back in that role.

He does not scream top 6 player to me. I think the slotting was correct. He just couldn't fulfill that adequately. The AHL buried threshold of 1.125 makes that a less attractive option. I am back at trying to move on from him. If that's impossible it says something about him and his contract.
If he sticks around we have to do something with him.. I am not convinced moving him up is the answer. I'd be more inclined to move him down.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Likely falls under the "reclamation project" umbrella. Question is can you give him away for future considerations.. Can he be packaged.. I am not sure ..
You guys need to chill lol.

What am I saying this board produced “what do we need to add to debrincat to get Jack Matier”

If they paid him based on what he did with norris and tkatchuk he would have gotten 6.5-7 he was over ppg with them.

He got what a lot of 30 point forwards who are great players guys get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad