Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic]

Status
Not open for further replies.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Dorion said he’s still not allowed to discuss Formenton, so likely not going to play out well
I think the NHL is going to release the findings post playoffs. I don't think we know if it's good or bad.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
DBC has told the Sens he’ll let them know his intentions prior to the draft.

He’ll be made available by June 1st at the latest. Sens aren’t going to get dragged along like Stone and Duchene.

Actually, I’d say we’re boned. Dorion knows he needs to win to survive. He’s not trading DBC. Only way he’s dealt is if there is someone new on place prior to the draft.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

He’ll be made available by June 1st at the latest. Sens aren’t going to get dragged along like Stone and Duchene.
That's good news, I suspect at this stage it's more about family, do he and the wife feel Ottawa is a good city to raise the little one in for the next ~7 years, or do they want to move one or two more times before finding their long term landing spot.

Reactions: NB613 and Silencio

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
That's good news, I suspect at this stage it's more about family, do he and the wife feel Ottawa is a good city to raise the little one in for the next ~7 years, or do they want to move one or two more times before finding their long term landing spot.
Definitely not how I take these platitudes from players, but in the eye of the beholder

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Definitely not how I take these platitudes from players, but in the eye of the beholder
If he tells us by June he wants out, great, we can move accordingly. The fact that he hasn't already told Dorion he wants out means he's at least open to staying. He may only be open to it if we overpay, but that's still better than under no condition willing to stay.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

Actually, I’d say we’re boned. Dorion knows he needs to win to survive. He’s not trading DBC. Only way he’s dealt is if there is someone new on place prior to the draft.

Sounds like Dorion is going to keep DeBrincat here on his 9M QO and rent him for the year, even if he doesn't want to re-sign.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
If he tells us by June he wants out, great, we can move accordingly. The fact that he hasn't already told Dorion he wants out means he's at least open to staying. He may only be open to it if we overpay, but that's still better than under no condition willing to stay.
Oh absolutely is better that he will tell him.

I think it’s more just let him fade into the back rather than deal with the backlash of that information coming out during, or at end of season events. Now just has to sit back at his home in the summer, not have to deal with reporters and or other distractions while it gets to play out over the draft.

*How I’m reading it with all information we’ve gotten and in front of us, obviously nothing but my feeling

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Sounds like Dorion is going to keep DeBrincat here on his 9M QO and rent him for the year, even if he doesn't want to re-sign.

He said he's going to qualify him more than once.
If he lets the team know his intentions early enough .. team elected arbitration may be a better approach.

Reactions: GCK

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
If he lets the team know his intentions early enough .. team elected arbitration may be a better approach.

Yeah but we could qualify him and then trade him, but the tweet I posted reads like we're going to keep him for the year, even if he doesn't want to re-sign long-term this summer.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
That's more than it took to get rid of Zaitsev. I don't think it will be that steep. JMHO.
Zaitsev was owed less than 6M dollars while Joseph is owed 11M. When dumping a contract is more about dollars than cap space since it’s generally bottom feeders that take these on.

I thinks that’s very unlikely if you listen to his interview after the presser.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
No he is owed $2.95 million for the 3 next years= $8.850 million. Which is a little high for a 10 goal 30 point penalty killer but not by much.
That’s cap hit not real dollars. Bad math on my part. It’s only 9.3M he is owed. Still not something teams are going to take on without heavy compensation

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018

Feels like there are enough quality NHLers who will be available that something could be worked out. Won't recoup much value compared to what we gave up, but might be able to parlay Debrincat into a less top-heavy forward group (+ maybe an ok future). It seems like a rare case where quality for quantity could work well for both teams.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Zaitsev was owed less than 6M dollars while Joseph is owed 11M. When dumping a contract is more about dollars than cap space since it’s generally bottom feeders that take these on.
Yes, I know all about the dollars involved. My main point is that I doubt it would take a 1st to move Joseph. It was asset cost (specifically draft picks) I was mostly focused on. Joseph can PK and I think Joseph can hold a roster spot on the bottom half of a roster on several (below average) teams but is slightly overpaid. Zaitsev was barely a #6 defender when we moved him (a below average #6 at best).

Reactions: DueDiligence

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If we qualify him rather than take him to arbitration that's all the reason I need to send Dorion packing, what would be the rationale of chosing 9 mil rather than taking him to arbitration? Do they think he can get more that 9 mil via arbitration?

Reactions: GCK

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Yeah but we could qualify him and then trade him, but the tweet I posted reads like we're going to keep him for the year, even if he doesn't want to re-sign long-term this summer.
LM wants that outcome.
I think I heard Dorion said he thinks they can sign him and if not decisions would happen after that.
I don't think the outcome is he definitely plays through his QO year but if Dorion is making those decisions who knows.

My impression is they will try to negotiate with him and if they can agree they extend him. If not and it comes to having to qualify him , they will and they will try to move him if there is no extension.
I hope that Dorion doesn't pull a Mark Stone with this one.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Zaitsev was a 7th D at best, Joseph is still a useful player despite what some here think.

Reactions: DueDiligence

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Yes, I know all about the dollars involved. My main point is that I doubt it would take a 1st to move Joseph. It was asset cost (specifically draft picks) I was mostly focused on. Joseph can PK and I think Joseph can hold a roster spot on the bottom half of a roster on several teams but is slightly overpaid. Zaitsev was barely a #6 defender when we moved him (a below average #6 at best).
Joseph had ZERO even strength goals this year. In Tampa’s 2 Cup winning runs he played 6 total games. No team is salivating to get him. He is a salary dump. We should just keep him.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
If we qualify him rather than take him to arbitration that's all the reason I need to send Dorion packing, what would be the rationale of chosing 9 mil rather than taking him to arbitration? Do they think he can get more that 9 mil via arbitration?
Its just never been mentioned.. but I think the price comes down from 9

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
LM wants that outcome.
I think I heard Dorion said he thinks they can sign him and if not decisions would happen after that.
I don't think the outcome is he definitely plays through his QO year but if Dorion is making those decisions who knows.

My impression is they will try to negotiate with him and if they can agree they extend him. If not and it comes to having to qualify him , they will and they will try to move him if there is no extension.
I hope that Dorion doesn't pull a Mark Stone with this one.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Joseph had ZERO even strength goals this year. In Tampa’s 2 Cup winning runs he played 6 total games. No team is salivating to get him. He is a salary dump. We should just keep him.
I didn't say (or imply) anything about teams "salivating" to get Joseph anywhere in my post. I just said that I don't think it will cost us a 1st.

If we keep, we keep him - not the end of the world. I'm moving on.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Better read it again.

and if he doesn't want to sign we'll make decisions from there"

What makes you think they keep him for the year, and not move him during the year or before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad