Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Its just never been mentioned.. but I think the price comes down from 9
Not sure what you're trying to say,

Arbitration can be as low as 85% of the QO, or maybe it's final year of the contract, I'm not sure of the top of my head but since DBC is a grandfathered contract, QO and final year are the same

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Zaitsev was a 7th D at best, Joseph is still a useful player despite what some here think.
I think he's be a good 4th line player. Not saying he is useless. On top of his game he could be a usefiul 3rd liner. I just think there are better players to count on available in free agency if we can find a taker.

Reactions: Icelevel and Cosmix

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I'm sure Dorion has learned his lesson from Stone and Duchene.

Would be idiotic to keep him on his 1 year qualifier and I have no doubt that it won't come to that and he will be dealt.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Better read it again.

and if he doesn't want to sign we'll make decisions from there"

What makes you think they keep him for the year, and not move him during the year or before.
There are conflicting quotes. No need to argue with each other.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Not sure what you're trying to say,

Arbitration can be as low as 85% of the QO, or maybe it's final year of the contract, I'm not sure of the top of my head but since DBC is a grandfathered contract, QO and final year are the same
I didn't try to say a whole lot.

Team elected arbitration has not been mentioned by the Senators wrt DeBrincat.

I don't know about the savings available through arbitration in DBC's case. Possible savings are an assumption on my part. I assumed an advantage to the team over qualifying ..but just guessing.

Found this on it not sure if it answers all your concerns;
Team Elected Arbitration

Teams can take players to arbitration, to a maximum of 2 Team Elections per year.

If a player made $2.11M or more in the last season, the Arbitration award must be 85% of their previous season pay or more. If the team elects arbitration, the player can still sign an offer sheet with another team prior to July 5 at 5pm, which would negate the team elected arbitration. The Team must elect the arbitration by 5pm on the later of June 15 or 48 hours after the Stanley Cup Finals ends.

If a player makes less than $2.11M, received a Qualifying Offer but did not accept it, the team must offer an amount equal to or more than their pay in the previous season. The Team election window is from July 5 and 5pm to July 6 at 5pm.

A player can only receive 1 Team Elected arbitration in their career, regardless of if the case was settled prior to the actual arbitration award.

7.65 is .85 of 9 best case for the Sens. But the grandfathering thing you mentioned is not mentioned in this explanation.

Last edited:

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Better read it again.

and if he doesn't want to sign we'll make decisions from there"

What makes you think they keep him for the year, and not move him during the year or before.

I read it just fine.

"We Know he'll be back for 1-year next season and if he doesn't want to sign we'll make decisions from there"

Saying he'll be back for 1 year next season means being kept for the 2023/24 season, and the decisions to be made from there would refer to possibly trading him later in the season, likely at the deadline.

This quote makes me more optimistic he'll be dealt this summer if he doesn't re-sign long-term, particularly the "protect the asset" comment.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Its just never been mentioned.. but I think the price comes down from 9
Dumb question. But when can a QO’d player sign an extension?

Let’s say debrincat wants his 9 million knowing it’s a once is a career payday for him (how the f*** his agent negotiated that QO is beyond me 6.4 up to 9.) can he sign that and then we immediately sign him to an extension?

Reactions: SpezDispenser

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Let’s say debrincat wants his 9 million knowing it’s a once is a career payday for him (how the f*** his agent negotiated that QO is beyond me 6.4 up to 9.) can he sign that and then we immediately sign him to an extension?
my understanding is yes.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018

my understanding is yes.
If I am understanding the question, isn't that essentially the situation that happened with Stone? If so, he can't extend until Jan 1st.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007

That's not a dumb question, that's a VERY relevant question.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If I am understanding the question, isn't that essentially the situation that happened with Stone? If so, he can't extend until Jan 1st.
Stone negotiated a 1 year extension prior to going to arbitration, so it's a little different, I'm not sure how accepting a QO affects things.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Let’s say debrincat says “I’ll sign here long term 8x8 but I want my 9 million dollar year now” or whatever the case may be. Can he sign the QO and then immediately sign the 8 year extension. So he gets the 9 million and then makes his 8 after that

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

No. January

Reactions: Burrowsaurus

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I'm not 100% but I think you can sign and trade a RFA.
Stone opted for arbitration and was signed just ahead of that.. There is a distinction but I don't know the rules well enough to explain that.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Sign & trade is allowed, I think they were asking about sign & immediate extension
Yes I reviewed that and I was confused. I know the NBA has rules around sign and trades for 3 months or Dec 15.

So once a player accepts a QO, although not specifically a player contract, it means they have a 1 year contract and can't extend until the new year.

Reactions: GCK

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Yes I reviewed that and I was confused. I know the NBA has rules around sign and trades for 3 months or Dec 15.

So once a player accepts a QO, although not specifically a player contract, it means they have a 1 year contract and can't extend until the new year.
Yep, and thats the case with any 1-yr deal.

TkachukMyAho

Apr 13, 2007
Let’s say debrincat says “I’ll sign here long term 8x8 but I want my 9 million dollar year now” or whatever the case may be. Can he sign the QO and then immediately sign the 8 year extension. So he gets the 9 million and then makes his 8 after that
If this was the only sticking point, top load year 1 and sign 8x8.25M instead...not sure there's a line in the sand to be realistically drawn there from the Cats POV.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
If he doesnt want to sign with us, I am sure Dorion will say something along the lines of "Okay, we are going to qualify you, but dont accept it right away, we would like to be able to trade you to a team that works for everyone. That way you can sign an 8 year deal and we can save face. If you accept the 9 million 1 year, it will make it hard to get you to a team that works for both parties."

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Not really, nowhere PD said we are keeping him for the year on his QO, that was Hales interpretation, but not what PD said.
If you look at different tweets which parse the quote it’s fairly easy to interpret it both ways. When listening to all the availability today it’s fairly clear it’s long term deal or trade.

Pinto Bean

Sep 13, 2009
Ottawa
I look at our 8M players right now and I see very special players:

- Timmy for obvious reasons that don't need listing
- Brady for being probably the best power forward in the league + captain + intangibles + PPG
- Chabot for being a minute-munching puck moving dman who the team has relied heavily on for years
- Norris for being just about a 40g scorer who plays a high-value positon and was arguably our most defensively reliable top-6'er.

DBC just doesn't move the needle for me to be in that group IMO. What he showed me this season indicates that he's a step below our 8M group of guys and I for one hope he isn't the newest member of the club.

He plays the lowest-value position in hockey, he's small, he isn't some incredible puck carrier like Timmy is.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
If you look at different tweets which parse the quote it’s fairly easy to interpret it both ways. When listening to all the availability today it’s fairly clear it’s long term deal or trade.
Yep I listened and read them, never thought it was fait d’compli, on any of them. Anyways let’s move on.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
When Dorion talked about trading for a goalie, the first I thought of was John Gibson. He’s never said much about it, but the Duck netminder badly wants a shot at winning and Anaheim is willing to accommodate. There are always questions about how much money a team for sale will commit to. Gibson has four years and $25.6M remaining on his contract (assuming anyone takes all of it). In comparison, Ottawa acquired Jakob Chychrun, who has two years and $12.4M (in cash) to go. There are lots of considerations: Gibson’s health, his willingness to go there and what kind of deal it would take. But it was the first name I thought of.

First goalie to be linked this summer per Friedman on his 32 Thoughts blog.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad