Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
They got the donuts? Excellent....
And you're right, with DeBrincat looking like he doesn't want to stay, we have a big hole to fill and money to play with.

Except this might be the worst free agent crop in a long time. The best option for the Sens might be Bunting. Everyone else is either old, not good or both.

It might help with trading DeBrincat because teams don't have an option nearly as good in free agency but then again cap room is tight around the league.

Assen na yo!

Reactions: Que

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Except this might be the worst free agent crop in a long time. The best option for the Sens might be Bunting. Everyone else is either old, not good or both.

It might help with trading DeBrincat because teams don't have an option nearly as good in free agency but then again cap room is tight around the league.

Assen na yo!
Ya I doubt it comes via FA, I was thinking trade. Cap will be an issue around the league one more season, so it may end up being separate deals. We just need to squeeze as much value as possible and figure out how we can plug that and other holes after. May not even be another high end forward considering the holes in goal and bottom 6.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I was just watching those clips too. I guess I could see some players wanting a change and that could force the Flames' hand. I guess I just think seeing your goaltending drop .30 save% points year on year is something no team overcomes and is being glossed over too much.

And you're right, with DeBrincat looking like he doesn't want to stay, we have a big hole to fill and money to play with.
That’s not really a fair characterization of what DBC has said.

Reactions: Dionysus

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
That’s not really a fair characterization of what DBC has said.
Well, I get that, but I didn't like what I heard, or more, how it was said. Just didn't give me the impression he's seriously considering staying. Could be wrong, but what I saw was the opposite of reassuring and felt like lip service until the shoe drops. And I reeeeaaaaalllllyyyyyy hate to agree with Bruce.

I don't even care that much tbh. He's a nice player, but it leaves lots of room in the budget to improve holes like Goaltending and give a shot in the arm to the bottom 6, etc. and that may ultimately be more important.

Reactions: GCK

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Well, I get that, but I didn't like what I heard, or more, how it was said. Just didn't give me the impression he's seriously considering staying. Could be wrong, but what I saw was the opposite of reassuring and felt like lip service until the shoe drops. And I reeeeaaaaalllllyyyyyy hate to agree with Bruce.

I don't even care that much tbh. He's a nice player, but it leaves lots of room in the budget to improve holes like Goaltending and give a shot in the arm to the bottom 6, etc. and that may ultimately be more important.
Fair enough, but to me he sounds like he’s saying what a player is supposed to say when there are ongoing contract negotiations.

You can’t seem too excited or committed, play the due diligence and family card and let the agent and GM go at it. Lots of guys say that they are focusing on the holidays and will let their agent sort all that out, and then are all happy as clams when the long term deal is done like they always wanted to stay. Ooooor they get traded. I’m not sure BG knows much anymore to be honest. PD was never his access, he always kinda teased BG at pressers.

I don’t want to spend more money on goalies right now personally. It’s so often a waste of money, especially the UFA guys available. Trades for a good goalie will cost assets more than just money, and then it’s a matter of who is available and how good can they actually be. I think people forget how good Forsberg has been for us, we don’t really need to replace him as much as get a back up who can actually stay healthy. That can also be Soogard who can play 30-40 games next season.

Losing a 1st line winger for some marginal upgrades across the bottom 6 and back up goalie is a serious step back and is a dreaded quantity for quality deal. It may end up being what has to happen regardless should Cat not want to sign.

Reactions: Cosmix

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I'd love it but he would cost too much in assets I think and the pending UFA status and contracts in Ottawa means he's likely gone after one season.

I also think everyone is premature in thinking Calgary needs to blow it up. Their trajectory is to give it one more go with a new coach and maybe goaltending before blowing it up. They can shed next deadline if they suck again.

People like to point at Ottawa goaltending as a main reason we aren't in the playoffs and it pales in comparison to the stark drop off Calgary has seen. Markstrom went from .922 save% last year to .892 this year is enough to sink any team and their backup in Vladar was underwhelming at below .900 as well.

Huberdeau just had his worst professional season ever and will surely return to form at least somewhat.

I'm betting on a re-shuffle this summer and another kick at the can in Calgary. They need a new arena, so its a tough time to tell fans to stop paying attention and see ticket sales lapse for half a decade or more.
Another option from CGY would be Mangiapane. Signed to a deal that's only slightly overpaid right now, but away from Sutter he might get better. Not 35g but not his 43 points this year. $5.8 million isn't a bit much but he could be had for low cost since the Flames need to shed salary just to keep their current roster

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Fair enough, but to me he sounds like he’s saying what a player is supposed to say when there are ongoing contract negotiations.

You can’t seem too excited or committed, play the due diligence and family card and let the agent and GM go at it. Lots of guys say that they are focusing on the holidays and will let their agent sort all that out, and then are all happy as clams when the long term deal is done like they always wanted to stay. Ooooor they get traded. I’m not sure BG knows much anymore to be honest. PD was never his access, he always kinda teased BG at pressers.

I don’t want to spend more money on goalies right now personally. It’s so often a waste of money, especially the UFA guys available. Trades for a good goalie will cost assets more than just money, and then it’s a matter of who is available and how good can they actually be. I think people forget how good Forsberg has been for us, we don’t really need to replace him as much as get a back up who can actually stay healthy. That can also be Soogard who can play 30-40 games next season.

Losing a 1st line winger for some marginal upgrades across the bottom 6 and back up goalie is a serious step back and is a dreaded quantity for quality deal. It may end up being what has to happen regardless should Cat not want to sign.
There's not a lot of difference for sure, I just got John Tavares vibes from today. That was one where I thought he was full of shit and Islanders were 100% out way before the decision time came. Could be wrong and I agree that Bruce knows nothing we don't know, he's just putting out an opinion and obviously doesn't get fed much these days like he used to.

And I also agree that throwing money at goaltending isn't the goal. We saw what Edmonton did and now they have an expensive backup, but I'm personally not confident with Forsberg/Sogaard heading in to such an important season. I'd rather that than bring Talbot back, I want no part in that, but I think there is something needed there heading in to the most important season in 6 years. Goaltending hurt us a lot this year and it crushed the Flames' season, but I see what you mean, there's no easy fix. Markstrom was the fix for them and now he's the problem. Changes quickly. Guess we'll see.

Either way, the budget just isn't available to improve the team much outside of Debrincat if he's brought back, so that's a pretty good silver lining if he doesn't want to stay or prices himself out. I think there is an avenue there where you may end up with a better team in the end, but yes losing high end players is tough and selling low would suck.

Another option from CGY would be Mangiapane. Signed to a deal that's only slightly overpaid right now, but away from Sutter he might get better. Not 35g but not his 43 points this year. $5.8 million isn't a bit much but he could be had for low cost since the Flames need to shed salary just to keep their current roster
For the right price, I would definitely be in. I wish we could have Toffoli for cheap, but that's not likely.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
There's not a lot of difference for sure, I just got John Tavares vibes from today. That was one where I thought he was full of shit and Islanders were 100% out way before the decision time came. Could be wrong and I agree that Bruce knows nothing we don't know, he's just putting out an opinion and obviously doesn't get fed much these days like he used to.

And I also agree that throwing money at goaltending isn't the goal. We saw what Edmonton did and now they have an expensive backup, but I'm personally not confident with Forsberg/Sogaard heading in to such an important season. I'd rather that than bring Talbot back, I want no part in that, but I think there is something needed there heading in to the most important season in 6 years. Goaltending hurt us a lot this year and it crushed the Flames' season, but I see what you mean, there's no easy fix. Markstrom was the fix for them and now he's the problem. Changes quickly. Guess we'll see.

Either way, the budget just isn't available to improve the team much outside of Debrincat if he's brought back, so that's a pretty good silver lining if he doesn't want to stay or prices himself out. I think there is an avenue there where you may end up with a better team in the end, but yes losing high end players is tough and selling low would suck.

For the right price, I would definitely be in. I wish we could have Toffoli for cheap, but that's not likely.
Toffoli is so slow now though…. :(

Here‘a the thing, if DBC is pullung a JT, that’s fine, we trade him by the team deadline. We don’t actually play out the JT situation where he walks for nothing.

I wouldn’t even start the year with him like we didn’t with EK.

If Talbot was cheap I would have a look, but who knows what his ask is. Love Soggy.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Toffoli is so slow now though…. :(

Here‘a the thing, if DBC is pullung a JT, that’s fine, we trade him by the team deadline. We don’t actually play out the JT situation where he walks for nothing.

I wouldn’t even start the year with him like we didn’t with EK.

If Talbot was cheap I would have a look, but who knows what his ask is. Love Soggy.
He is but he was still their best forward this year. If the price is right based on age and trajecgory, but I doubt it would be, so moot point.

And agreed, its not the same scenario, we will move him this summer if unsigned, just my feelings on what we saw from him today thatI dont feel good about our chances.

Talbot turned in to Matt Murray this year, so I think Id like to go younger in general and hope they can at least stay in the lineup. Wouldnt be opposed to a bigger move for a proven guy we can run with like Demko or Saros, but again, so unlikely not worth discussing really.

Reactions: Ice-Tray and Cosmix

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Even though we're set on D for the most part, talking about the flames makes me want Zadarov. Dude hits like a monster and if Kleven learns a thing or two from him, we'll have a Volchenkov who can skate and move the puck better.

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
We will be in an awkward spot if we qualify ADC at 9 mill for one year and are looking good at the deadline. I hope he signs for multiple years, if he doesn’t, even though I want him on our team badly, maybe he should be traded this summer? I’ll just cross my fingers that he signs for something longer.

• Wow
Reactions: bicboi64

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

He’s not going to be as forthcoming as Hamonic. He’s not at the end of his career his agent is about to negotiate the biggest contract of his life.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
One think Dorion has absolutely been great at the last couple years is zero leaks. No one knew were getting debrincat. People thought we were out on chychrun. No one knew about the stutzle extionsion. No one knew about the tkatchuk extension.

Garrioch does not know debrincat. Or what he wants or doesn’t want
Totally. Garrioch knows nothing at all right now.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
We will be in an awkward spot if we qualify ADC at 9 mill for one year and are looking good at the deadline. I hope he signs for multiple years, if he doesn’t, even though I want him on our team badly, maybe he should be traded this summer? I’ll just cross my fingers that he signs for something longer.
This would be such a tricky situation. We could keep him as a "rental" but that's terrible longterm asset management unless we think Cat on our roster will lead to a cup run next year (highly unlikely). If he wants $9 million, best case is to avoid the sunk cost fallacy and get what we can for him.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
This. We learned how important chemistry is this year since it essentially took us 1/4 of the season to find it. If the writing is on the wall with ADC I'd rather trade him in the offseason so we can retool the team accordingly, get the lines dialled and not have any shock or major adjustments late season.

It also allows us to address a need sooner (goaltending) and play with our cap. Lastly, demand for his services will be higher in the offseason vs at the TDL.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
I could see a three way trade with St Louis and San Jose for DeBrincat if we can’t work out an extension.

St Louis: DeBrincat
San Jose: St Louis 1st
Ottawa: Karlsson

Mind you I expect PD to qualify DeBrincat and Brinsky to walk as a UFA after next season. That’s the hole we’ve dug and I think we’re committed to it.

That 24/25 free agent class could be something special. Matthews, Aho, Nylander, DeBrincat, Stamkos, Reinhardt, Lindholm, Skjei, Pesche, Toffoli, Schieflie, Hellebyuck, D. Toews could all be potentially on the market with a big raise in the cap projected. And there are so many more names…

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
Which reminds me, it’s gonna be fun watching Leaks fans squirm over Austin Matthews next season. He will get them to the post-season but has a full NMC.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
If DeBrincat does end up getting traded this offseason, one possible option is for the Sens to trade him to the Washington Capitals for Tom Wilson.

It could be tricky to find a good trade for DeBrincat where the Sens get the right kinds of players that can help them now. Washington just missed the playoffs, they have an older team and their core players are locked up for the next 2 to 3 seasons. Wilson will be on the final year of his contract next season, and they could either look to lock him up long term or try to balance out their older core with younger talent by acquiring a player like DeBrincat.

Wilson fits the Sens style of play so he would likely perform well here. One thing that is interesting is that we saw how effective the Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson line was in the past, so while Wilson plays different maybe a Wilson-Norris-Batherson line could develop similar chemistry and have somewhat of the impact the Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson line has had in the past.

It might be worth reflecting on the merits of such a trade and whether it seems feasible and if it would be appealing for both teams. I am not sure if there are a lot of other teams that have a more established player that can help us now and are a current organizational stage where they would want to part with the established player for someone like DeBrincat.

Love the idea but I don’t think there’s much fit from Washington’s side.

They’ve still got the greatest scorer of all time in DeBrincat’s spot on the PP which would likely diminish their interest in picking him up and his interest in extending.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I could see a three way trade with St Louis and San Jose for DeBrincat if we can’t work out an extension.

St Louis: DeBrincat
San Jose: St Louis 1st
Ottawa: Karlsson

Mind you I expect PD to qualify DeBrincat and Brinsky to walk as a UFA after next season. That’s the hole we’ve dug and I think we’re committed to it.

That 24/25 free agent class could be something special. Matthews, Aho, Nylander, DeBrincat, Stamkos, Reinhardt, Lindholm, Skjei, Pesche, Toffoli, Schieflie, Hellebyuck, D. Toews could all be potentially on the market with a big raise in the cap projected. And there are so many more names…
Doubt it. He will be traded before the start of the season for second line winger and a prospect.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I wonder how much players talk amongst themselves about contracts and shit. Like do you think the players know if debrincat is staying or not

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I wonder how much players talk amongst themselves about contracts and shit. Like do you think the players know if debrincat is staying or not
They probably have a feel but likely no certainty

Would anyone trade Sogaard + 2nd to Boston for Swayman ?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I don’t know. Wpuld Boston?
Probably? They're in a bit of a cap crunch, an offersheet on Swayman could force them into just a 2nd for him.

I wonder what they do next year, if Bergeron and Krejci retire, they might need some additional scoring punch

If Debrincat won't extend, could something around Coyle and Swayman for DeBrincat+ work? Is that enough salary moving out to fit DeBrincat in, it's going to be really tight for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad