Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Obviously we disagree because I think that bottom 6 is a big, big problem.
To each their own. I really like that third line, I think Pinto is going to be a stud, this year had some rough patches but he's going to be great.

Its worth pointing out that's the bottom 6 in terms of depth chart, not necessarily lines. I could see any of Batherson, DeBrincat or Giroux on the third line to spread out the talent, guys like Greig and Joseph are capable of being that third player on a scoring line when we have Stü Norris or Tkachuk, similar to how Spezza would turn Michalek into a 35 g guy, or Greening into a 40 pts threat. Joseph's speed really stretches out the opposition opening things up, and Greig is going to be dynamite, but he does need a bit of development so he'd be a guy that moves around depending on how he's playing.

The fourth line obviously is a bit more contentious, I suspect Kelly will have a bounce back year but there's always guys like Motte available, he'd have been a solid fourth liner the issue with him was we had him on our third. If you pick up a guy like that, and have Kelly, Crookshank, Sokolov and whoever else battle for that 12/13 spot we should be fine.

Reactions: Yak

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Until the Bruins have some cap space and can revenge offer sheet one of our players.
I agree that the Bruins could use an offer sheet against the Senators as revenge; however, it would likely not be against the Senators because there probably would be better options for doing so against other teams. The "revenge" aspect is not always the optimal strategy in the use of offer sheets.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Interesting list. Not sure if we can afford any of them, but I think Hill would be a good investment that oculd be had for cheap on a multi year deal
I'm not sure which goalies are the ones you are referring to when you say we "can't afford any of them". I'm not certain that is true. If you go back to post #2580 (page 104) perhaps those numbers are useful and suggest that it's possible. That roster had Saros and his $5 m salary.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Maybe I’m missing something. What do you see as our bottom 6 ?

Buffalo has cap space and assets to go get a goalie and if they do I really think they can be very good.
Like us, Buffalo has to hold on to their cap space as they need to sign their core guys every year for the next few years though. That cap space is likely spoken for for the most part.

Should be a crazy stretch with us buffalo, NJ, and Detroit all in the same or similar stage of building, all with lots of solid core players.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Like us, Buffalo has to hold on to their cap space as they need to sign their core guys every year for the next few years though. That cap space is likely spoken for for the most part.
Wish that were true but Buffalo has boatloads of cap space for the next few years and their top to centres on deals below market value.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Wish that were true but Buffalo has boatloads of cap space for the next few years and their top to centres on deals below market value.
Like ours.

And like us, they have guys that they need to pay already on the team. Guys like Hughes and Powers are going to eat into the cap asap.

Its not a bad thing, it’s us last year with loads of cap space, they are in a good spot to decide to where to spend it, but lots of it will go to guys already on their team.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Like ours.

And like us, they have guys that they need to pay already on the team. Guys like Hughes and Powers are going to eat into the cap asap.

Its not a bad thing, it’s us last year with loads of cap space, they are in a good spot to decide to where to spend it, but lots of it will go to guys already on their team.
Hughes ?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Like ours.

They have 20 mil in cap space and nobody of real consequence to resign next year, after next year cap should start climbing again, they seem pretty good at the moment.

Reactions: Big Muddy and GCK

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
They have 20 mil in cap space and nobody of real consequence to resign next year, after next year cap should start climbing again, they seem pretty good at the moment.
Never said it wasn’t good, I said they have guys that they will need to sign already on the team.

Like our massive amount of space last year, it gets eaten up With your quality young guys. They have lots of directions to move in, but they also have to make sure they have cash for guys like Powers put aside. Or they could bridge, it will be neat to see what direction they go.

We have just moved through that situation, and being able to finally spend to the cap has made all of the cap space availability really fun to talk about again.

Hahaha, oops mixed up NJ :)

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I love watching Dahlin, and hope he asks for $11 million aav on his next deal, and then Power asks for $9 million aav.

With all that capspace, I want them to end up in cap hell sooner than later lol

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I'm not sure which goalies are the ones you are referring to when you say we "can't afford any of them". I'm not certain that is true. If you go back to post #2580 (page 104) perhaps those numbers are useful and suggest that it's possible. That roster had Saros and his $5 m salary.
Your roster idea seems interesting. Would be cool to get Pinto signed for that cheap. It just means we have to rely on ELC and bargain deals even more than we do. I'd be open to it if we can somehow get Saros and sign guys like Brannstrom to a deal that is less than $2 million

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I love watching Dahlin, and hope he asks for $11 million aav on his next deal, and then Power asks for $9 million aav.

With all that capspace, I want them to end up in cap hell sooner than later lol
All teams end right to the cap. Buffalo will be the same.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
The chances of the Sens having so much bad luck next season as they have had this season is quite unlikely which means they should be a playoff team & the way they play some of the better teams in the NHL they could also be contenders. They really just need good consistent NHL goaltending, staying relatively healthy & a couple of upgrades on their bottom six.

We also need to tweak our system. Stop having the wingers blow the defensive zone so early. Support our D and goalies a bit more. It will lower our GF a little bit, but I think that will bring us a few more wins.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Your roster idea seems interesting. Would be cool to get Pinto signed for that cheap. It just means we have to rely on ELC and bargain deals even more than we do. I'd be open to it if we can somehow get Saros and sign guys like Brannstrom to a deal that is less than $2 million
I didn't create that spreadsheet, but I referenced it because it accommodates both a top notch goalie's salary (Saros) and signs Debrincat to a new contract.

Regarding Pinto, I think understanding what a 10.2.c contract is all about is paramount. I'll summarize by saying Ottawa holds all the bargaining power if they want to utilize it. I can't see Brannstrom's contract being that large either so I'd think the $2 m is not problematic at all.

It does seem a little odd to discuss rosters without a good handle on salaries and the different possibilities.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I didn't create that spreadsheet, but I referenced it because it accommodates both a top notch goalie's salary (Saros) and signs Debrincat to a new contract.

Regarding Pinto, I think understanding what a 10.2.c contract is all about is paramount. I'll summarize by saying Ottawa holds all the bargaining power if they want to utilize it. I can't see Brannstrom's contract being that large either so I'd think the $2 m is not problematic at all.

It does seem a little odd to discuss rosters without a good handle on salaries and the different possibilities.
If we can get Brannstrom to a deal like Liljegren, that'd be dope. Its the perfect comparable and a $1.4million cap hit with 600k savings can mean so much in the next two years

Reactions: DrEasy and bert

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
If we can get Brannstrom to a deal like Liljegren, that'd be dope. Its the perfect comparable and a $1.4million cap hit with 600k savings can mean so much in the next two years
Yes, I agree that Brannstrom would probably get less than $2 m. My point of referencing that spreadsheet is that there seems to be a way of affording both a good goalie and his salary, plus resign Debrincat. I don't understand these discussions or their veracity without referencing and getting a good handle on the numbers. Fortunately there's posts we can refer to that cover that.

I just don't see the logic behind the Chabot for Karlsson trade (as the main pieces) because it isn't what rebuilding teams do typically. I covered that in #3845 in the Around the NHL thread.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Yes, I agree that Brannstrom would probably get less than $2 m. My point of referencing that spreadsheet is that there seems to be a way of affording both a good goalie and his salary, plus resign Debrincat. I don't understand these discussions or their veracity without referencing and getting a good handle on the numbers. Fortunately there's posts we can refer to that cover that.

I just don't see the logic behind the Chabot for Karlsson trade (as the main pieces) because it isn't what rebuilding teams do typically. I covered that in #3845 in the Around the NHL thread.
I think the logic for Chabot for EK comes down to gambling in Chabot being able to play good enough to be worth is salary, or whether EK's declining years are better than Chabot's to the extent that its worth it to get him. We have LD depth, and EK gives us depth on both sides. Not that I want EK back fwiw.

With the cap structure, the logic of moving Cat, its for flexibility to address the depth. Without Cat we have a hole, but our top 6 isn't bad by any means. But locking Cat into a deal that's $8 million puts us in the same category as the leafs. Scavenging to find good deals for depth that we sorely need, arguably more than whatever Cat would score.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I think the logic for Chabot for EK comes down to gambling in Chabot being able to play good enough to be worth is salary, or whether EK's declining years are better than Chabot's to the extent that its worth it to get him. We have LD depth, and EK gives us depth on both sides. Not that I want EK back fwiw.

With the cap structure, the logic of moving Cat, its for flexibility to address the depth. Without Cat we have a hole, but our top 6 isn't bad by any means. But locking Cat into a deal that's $8 million puts us in the same category as the leafs. Scavenging to find good deals for depth that we sorely need, arguably more than whatever Cat would score.
All of what you mentioned seems to be detail that wouldn't matter much if San Jose is not interested in Chabot. It behooves us to look at the kind of assets that rebuilding teams typically want. It takes 2 teams to consummate a trade, so there has to be equal (or more) attention on what the potential trading partner wants. There seems to be a more myopic focus in here at times without much emphasis on the trading partner imho.

Reactions: bicboi64 and GCK

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Perhaps we should trade Forsberg snd Joseph to Toronto for Murray with some salary retention by Toronto? That would open up salary and cap dollars to sign Debrincat, Hamonic and Brannstrom, while also giving us a vet goaltender for next season. :sarcasm:

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
I wonder if Seattle would let Daccord go for a pick/prospect in the off season if they re-sign Jones to backup Grubauer. I wouldn’t mind bringing him back to tandem with Forsberg for next year. RFA at the end of the season and will be 27 to start next year. Posted respectable numbers in the AHL this year too.

Reactions: bicboi64
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad