Proposal: Trade Rumors/Proposals Thread 2013-2014 | Part IV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
We don't need to find solutions. We're not paid millions to make decisions. We wish we were, but hearing some of these suggestions, the team would be better off the way it is run right now.

We need to support the team through thick and thin.

I find it funny how people complain about Holmgren constantly changing the roster, but then after every game it's the usual trade Spezza, trade Cowen, trade Neil, trade Greening. That's no different than Holmgren, I guess you can say Holmgren is the ultimate HFboards member...one that actually has has power to make decisions.

We haven't mustered up a winning product in years. We've changed the supporting cast, we changed the GM, we changed the coaches, we changed the stadium name but the results stay the same. The only constant in all of this other than the result is the set of core players. Just sayin'

QuattroFTW

Nov 4, 2009
Ottawa
Is anyone open to the idea of trading Anderson? I know he was rock solid last year and he's supposed to be our #1 goalie, but he's probably the best trade bait we have and could net us the biggest return. IMO we need another PMD to create plays, an establish stay at home D, and another top 6 forward. Trading away a goaltender to a team who needs one would return us 2 of the 3 needs.

mattsens

Jun 22, 2011
Ottawa
If the Sens play like they did yesterday more often, and if the goaltending goes back to at least average, we won't need to solve too much. Barring 2 bad bad goals that Andy let in, it's an easy win (no slight to Andy, just an off game).

melnyk budget*

the team lost a lot of experience by losing alfie and gonchar.

the team got way younger because of it. that leads to growing pains. expecting this team, especially the defense to be championship caliber...you're out to lunch.

we're still technically in year 3 of a rebuild. name 1 club that won the cup during a rebuild recently.

you will never get full value in another player 1 for 1 for spezza. trading spezza for younger players and picks is what you're left with. how does that help the team win this year if you're so eager for that? it makes us worse off.

having more young players leads to even more growing pains.

jasonjim

Nov 1, 2006
OTTAWA
Is anyone open to the idea of trading Anderson? I know he was rock solid last year and he's supposed to be our #1 goalie, but he's probably the best trade bait we have and could net us the biggest return. IMO we need another PMD to create plays, an establish stay at home D, and another top 6 forward. Trading away a goaltender to a team who needs one would return us 2 of the 3 needs.

What we should have done and it's too late now was to retain Lehner and Bishop and trade Anderson at that time when his value was at its highest.

mattsens

Jun 22, 2011
Ottawa

the team got way younger because of it. that leads to growing pains. expecting this team, especially the defense to be championship caliber...you're out to lunch.

we're still technically in year 3 of a rebuild. name 1 club that won the cup during a rebuild recently.

you will never get full value in another player 1 for 1 for spezza. trading spezza for younger players and picks is what you're left with. how does that help the team win this year if you're so eager for that? it makes us worse off.

I'd have to say, when you trade away your first round pick, you have effectively stated to the world that you are no longer rebuilding.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Well, then what would you do (if we could wave a magic wand and you were GM/coach) to turn this thing around?

Team retreat?
Bag skate?
Do nothing?

Hey, sometimes you have to propose something so outlandish that everyone hates it, to get the dialogue and creative ideas going.

There's got to be something that can be done to get this team on the right track.

mattsens

Jun 22, 2011
Ottawa
Well, then what would you do (if we could wave a magic wand and you were GM/coach) to turn this thing around?

Team retreat?
Bag skate?
Do nothing?

Hey, sometimes you have to propose something so outlandish that everyone hates it, to get the dialogue and creative ideas going.

There's got to be something that can be done to get this team on the right track.

Fill the 2 holes this team has. #3-4 PMD and Top 6 winger. Get that without throwing away the core of the team and you're golden. We have enough pieces to make it happen without throwing away our core.

Our problem now comes back to Melnyk. We have to remove salary in order to make a trade because of the internal budget. That suddenly limits which players we can trade for and which players we have to trade to get those players. Michalek or Greening pretty much has to be part of any trade because we need to shed salary in order to make a trade, even though we have a lot of cap space.

This is still the solution, it just means we might get a guy like Nikitin vs a guy like Campbell. It also means that unless the player is really cheap, it has to be an expiring contract that we trade for.

For the people arguing that finances aren't the issue, and that our team was able to compete last year, we LOST Alfie (top 6 winger) and we LOST Gonchar (Top 4 PMD). We couldn't AFFORD to sign either of them. Whether you like it or not, it comes back to financial reasons. All we can do right now is minimize damage from within, but the players we need may not be ready (Ceci for example).

Hossa18

Jan 20, 2008
Then give me a better suggestion to wake up the team.

No more crying guys. Let's find solutions.

I hate to say this because I love this guy but, it is time to trade Spezza. Our position of strength is centre so having said this, I would trade Spezza and Gryba to Toronto for JVR and Franson.....We need to make room for Mika in the middle.

MacArthur Turris Ryan
JVR Zibanejad Hoffman
Greening Pageau Stone
Conacher Smith Neil

Methot Karlsson
Wiercoch Franson
Cowen Boro\Phillips

We can get rid of Condra at the deadline for a 2nd rd pick and Kassian could be the extra forward.

mattsens

Jun 22, 2011
Ottawa

Team retreat?
Bag skate?
Do nothing?

To answer your question about what we could maybe do.

1) Bring up Hoffman or Stone for that missing top 6 forward. It may or may not work, but it's definitely worth a shot (especially the way Hoffman has been playing, plus the fact that he's barely had a chance due to injury).

2) Three things you can do for the missing PMD. One is to keep going with Weircioch. He had a better game last night, maybe he will improve if we keep playing him and stop scratching him every game. The second option is to bring up Ceci or a similar PMD, however I personally believe it's too early for that. Finally, we trade for a PMD, but because of the constraints listed in my previous post, we have to get someone cheaper. One trade a lot of people were talking about on the trade rumours boards that both fan bases liked was Greening for Niskanen. Something like that. Not the perfect PMD though.

King Karlsson

Gersei Chongar
Sep 30, 2011
I hate to say this because I love this guy but, it is time to trade Spezza. Our position of strength is centre so having said this, I would trade Spezza and Gryba to Toronto for JVR and Franson.....We need to make room for Mika in the middle.

MacArthur Turris Ryan
JVR Zibanejad Hoffman
Greening Pageau Stone
Conacher Smith Neil

Methot Karlsson
Wiercoch Franson
Cowen Boro\Phillips

We can get rid of Condra at the deadline for a 2nd rd pick and Kassian could be the extra forward.

Oh man if you think that group of centres is strong... :help:

If we're trading Spezza we would need a C in return, and a top 4 D.

But we aren't trading him because he's our captain, although I'm not even opposed to trading him at thing point because he is not the same, and it would be better for our future.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
To answer your question about what we could maybe do.

1) Bring up Hoffman or Stone for that missing top 6 forward. It may or may not work, but it's definitely worth a shot (especially the way Hoffman has been playing, plus the fact that he's barely had a chance due to injury).

2) Three things you can do for the missing PMD. One is to keep going with Weircioch. He had a better game last night, maybe he will improve if we keep playing him and stop scratching him every game. The second option is to bring up Ceci or a similar PMD, however I personally believe it's too early for that. Finally, we trade for a PMD, but because of the constraints listed in my previous post, we have to get someone cheaper. One trade a lot of people were talking about on the trade rumours boards that both fan bases liked was Greening for Niskanen. Something like that. Not the perfect PMD though.

I like it. Stone has been a good soldier for us. He should be ready for a good 10-game shot to show what he can do.

sens613

Apr 12, 2012
I know it's a horrible proposal. That's the point.

What else can be done to wake up the guys in the dressing room?

Sending Zibby down didn't accomplish anything.
Switching out the goalies multiple times didn't do anything.
Bag skates, team meetings, fan outrage....nothing is motivating these guys.

Only thing left is a desperation trade where we get the short end of the stick and the guys are forced to work their ***** off for 60 minutes.

What the hell else can we do???
Never is the only thing left to do a huge lopsided trade where we intentionally get the **** end of the stick . But yes a large trade in magnitude would probably wake the team up, its not this trade

Hossa18

Jan 20, 2008
Oh man if you think that group of centres is strong... :help:

If we're trading Spezza we would need a C in return, and a top 4 D.

But we aren't trading him because he's our captain, although I'm not even opposed to trading him at thing point because he is not the same, and it would be better for our future.

Yup I do.....That group of centre's led us to the playoffs last year and Turris is a lot stronger physically and a better player than he was at this point last year. Zibanejad played second line centre for us last year and is now 1 year older and therefore should also be improved from last year. No need to explain to you what Pageau did for us last year in the playoff do I? The kid has crazy hockey IQ and should be in our lineup and I don't think you could go wrong with Smith as our 4th line centre.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
we were the better team last night, played a good game and would have won with average goaltending.
if they play like that every night, with that effort the team will be fine and will have it turned around in no time.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
we were the better team last night, played a good game and would have won with average goaltending.
if they play like that every night, with that effort the team will be fine and will have it turned around in no time.

I think your correct the problem being it maybe too late to get a playoff position. We are snakebitten we just cant seem to put it altogther at once. :(

sens613

Apr 12, 2012
I think your correct the problem being it maybe too late to get a playoff position. We are snakebitten we just cant seem to put it altogther at once. :(

We are not far out. Luckily we play in the east where a lot of teams also our inconsistent or have glaring holes. If we were in the west, man I don't want to think about that.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
I am hoping something happens in the next little bit.

It feels like they are just trying to stay the course. This course is headed for a cliff.
This may not be the case, but it is how it feels.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
We've been playing better despite losing which makes me think that maybe Murray will be a bit more patient still. That sucks.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Is it a coincidence that the five guys who are all playing so poorly this yr were all injured for most of last season & arguably our best players... Anderson, Spezza, Karlsson, Michalek & Cowen. :shakehead

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
Is it a coincidence that the five guys who are all playing so poorly this yr were all injured for most of last season & arguably our best players... Anderson, Spezza, Karlsson, Michalek & Cowen. :shakehead

Anderson mentioned at the start of the season that his ankle still wasn't 100%. The others are obviously still recovering too... and some may never be the same.

No excuses though.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
What we should have done and it's too late now was to retain Lehner and Bishop and trade Anderson at that time when his value was at its highest.

The Sens should have also drafted Pronger over Daigle, never traded Demitra and signed Chara over Redden.

It's easy to look back on such decisions and declare that there were better moves to be made, but at the time it wasn't a poor decision by any means.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad