GDT: Nashville Predators 2024 Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Well for what it's worth in an intrasquad scrimmage...I thought Tomasino was the best player on the ice last night. Not sure how many of you folks watched it. The Novak, Vange, and Tomasino line looked like an NHL line playing against prospects, so that's a good starting place for sure.
What were teams? I cant find any lineup info or scoresheet on it. I just caught the overtime

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
I wonder if we end up keeping Molendyk around to start the season since we’ll have a bit of extra space with Stastney out.
Yeah, I dunno. Would be fun to see as a fan but obviously the main goal is to win those (presumably) first 9 games so he'd have to be ready or real close since this isn't a rebuilding team. The (IMO) silly CHL rules suck again because Milwaukee seems like the place for him right now.

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
If that Novak-Tomasino-Evangelista line has chemistry, I think we should roll with

Forsberg-ROR-Nyquist
Parsinnen-Stamkos-Marchasseault
Evangelista-Novak-Tomasino
Mccarron-Sissons-Smith
Jankowski

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I wonder if we end up keeping Molendyk around to start the season since we’ll have a bit of extra space with Stastney out.
I can't see this team keeping a teenager on defense. Moldendyk is our best long-term hope on D, but he still hasn't really had a dominant junior season yet. His best place is back in junior. He'll be a leader for his team and play a key role in the WJC. That's where he should be.

(Not even the AHL if the rules were different, and not even a 1-game look in the NHL - even if Stastney isn't back by then, we have other guys who are closer in Del Gaizo, Blankenburg).

Molendyk's time will come in due course.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I can't see this team keeping a teenager on defense. Moldendyk is our best long-term hope on D, but he still hasn't really had a dominant junior season yet. His best place is back in junior. He'll be a leader for his team and play a key role in the WJC. That's where he should be.

(Not even the AHL if the rules were different, and not even a 1-game look in the NHL - even if Stastney isn't back by then, we have other guys who are closer in Del Gaizo, Blankenburg).

Molendyk's time will come in due course.
Yeah, I think he skates well, but still struggles with bigger players. He was fine last night, but certainly didn't look like someone who was jumping out.

The guy that has had a ho-hum steady preseason in my viewing is Livingstone. I'll be interested to see what he does in Milwaukee this year.

I'll say the guy that I was somewhat impressed but mostly frustrated with is Navrin Mutter. The guy has great energy, and even makes the right plays the majority of the time...he just seems to have absolutely no ability to do anything of consequence with the actual puck.

Apparently 3 openings...

What were teams? I cant find any lineup info or scoresheet on it. I just caught the overtime

Last edited:

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Yeah, I think he skates well, but still struggles with bigger players. He was fine last night, but certainly didn't look like someone who was jumping out.

The guy that has had a ho-hum steady preseason in my viewing is Livingstone. I'll be interested to see what he does in Milwaukee this year.

I'll say the guy that I was somewhat impressed but mostly frustrated with is Navrin Mutter. The guy has great energy, and even makes the right plays the majority of the time...he just seems to have absolutely no ability to do anything of consequence with the actual puck.

Apparently 3 openings...

So from that it sounds like the openings are fourth line winger, scoring winger to be a healthy scratch, and one defenseman?

Also, from that interview it sounds like Trotz is seriously considering keeping Molendyk up at least to start the season. Pretty high praise to say he had a perfect camp last year and is having another perfect camp this year. Living out of market I've been blacked out from watching any of the preseason stuff so no personal opinion about how he's played but that comment combined with them sending every other junior player back makes me think it's a real possibility Molendyk starts the season here.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
So from that it sounds like the openings are fourth line winger, scoring winger to be a healthy scratch, and one defenseman?
Where I guess by "openings" there is some small thought that any of Tomasino, Parssinen, or Jankowski could be outed if somebody really steps up and they don't? I'm not sure I'd have called those "openings" per se. But if L'Heureux punts Jankowski to Milwaukee, I'll take that.
Also, from that interview it sounds like Trotz is seriously considering keeping Molendyk up at least to start the season. Pretty high praise to say he had a perfect camp last year and is having another perfect camp this year. Living out of market I've been blacked out from watching any of the preseason stuff so no personal opinion about how he's played but that comment combined with them sending every other junior player back makes me think it's a real possibility Molendyk starts the season here.
I don't know, even last year, while I only catch bits of a few of the games, I didn't think Molendyk quite lived up to the press hype he seemed to be getting. It's nice of them to be praising a top draft pick and filling him up with confidence. But it seems like a stretch to imagine him in the NHL at 19, he just hasn't been THAT notable as a prospect, compared to dozens of other defense prospects around the league from past drafts who definitely aren't going to be playing in the NHL either? :dunno: He can have an amazing camp... for a 19-year old... and still be nowhere close to ready. All the effusive quotes notwithstanding. I'm skeptical. :skeptic:

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I'm torn on Molendyk. He skates like the wind and does well controlling the offensive zone and his defensive positioning has been good...but he is certainly not a big guy. That being said, he isn't likely to see that much benefit in learning how to play more physical and against bigger bodies going back to juniors. He is unlikely to ever be some hulk and the reality is he needs to learn how to play positional hockey while maximizing his frame by playing against bigger bodies with physicality. I can see the argument to letting him play 3rd line minutes in a sheltered role as he continues to develop.

I mean Girard did it at his size by relying on his skating ability. I'd like to think Molendyk has more upside than that, but the other counter point is he's not going to see any powerplay time which seems like a natural fit to his ability.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I'm skeptical. :skeptic:
I'm skeptical too but there's enough smoke there I think it's within the realm of possibility. FWIW Trotz did have Noah Dobson in the NHL at 19 when he was coaching the Islanders. Dobson only played a fraction of the games but it doesn't seem to have harmed his development.

Like I said I haven't watched Molendyk at all this preseason nor have I watched anything beyond his highlights in juniors so I don't have strong personal opinions about what we should do. I just think that there is a reasonable possibility that Molendyk starts the year here. The somewhat unexpected scenario of Stastney being out provides the slot to give him a look too.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
It would be useful to have some inkling of what's up with Stastney. At least insofar as the timeline goes. If he's likely back sooner rather than later, then to me it has to be a moot point what we do with Moldendyk, because there simply wouldn't be room for him. :dunno:

I'm not really worried about his development either way... I can see there being pros and cons to either landing spot. End of the day, it'll be up to the player to make the most of either situation, and usually if a player is good enough, they'll make it regardless.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
It would be useful to have some inkling of what's up with Stastney. At least insofar as the timeline goes. If he's likely back sooner rather than later, then to me it has to be a moot point what we do with Moldendyk, because there simply wouldn't be room for him. :dunno:

I'm not really worried about his development either way... I can see there being pros and cons to either landing spot. End of the day, it'll be up to the player to make the most of either situation, and usually if a player is good enough, they'll make it regardless.
Yeah who knows with Stastney. My guess is given his waiver exemption that he probably spends sometime in the AHL to get caught up conditioning wise regardless so there should be a spot at least in the short term. So really I think the question is do we keep Molendyk over Del Gaizo/Livingstone/Wilsby at least in the near term. If Molendyk looks like he can handle the NHL I'd definitely lean towards keeping him on to start the season even if he's spending time most of his time in the press box with a few games sprinkled in.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Yeah who knows with Stastney. My guess is given his waiver exemption that he probably spends sometime in the AHL to get caught up conditioning wise regardless so there should be a spot at least in the short term. So really I think the question is do we keep Molendyk over Del Gaizo/Livingstone/Wilsby at least in the near term. If Molendyk looks like he can handle the NHL I'd definitely lean towards keeping him on to start the season even if he's spending time most of his time in the press box with a few games sprinkled in.
I'm guessing we should not count Blankenburg out of the equation either. He has more NHL games than AHL games in his career thus far.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Definitely points to the idea that Gosjic is separating from himself from the pack of recent non first round draft picks. Almost no chance he ultimately makes the roster but has definitely moved into a prospect to keep a close eye on this coming season.
we always seem to do well with kids from Kelowna

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad