Rumor: Trade Rumors and Proposals: Will Chia get us an Xmas gift?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Take out Yak and Hansen and I would probably do it

Edler seems to be have snapped out of the Tortorella induced funk he was in and is playing like a top pair defenseman again. Top 20 in TOI and points amongst defenseman, all for only a million more than we are paying Schultz right now. Yak may have more potential than Hansen, but Hansen helps this team more at even strength than Yak and the Oilers are still left with more than enough skilled forwards on the PP. Hansen has more 5vs5 points than any Oiler not named Hall or Draisaitl this year, and only Hall has more goals. He is also a great PK'er and more physical than Yak.

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
As much as I hate the idea of trading the Nuge for lesser pieces I think if we did something like Nuge and Schultz for Ellis, Wilson and a 1st would make us a better team. Ellis is cheap, can run the PP RH and is young. Wilson could be our third line center and the first gives us a future asset. Then should Stamkos consider us in the summer we could make him a center and put Drai on the wing or vice versa. I know Jones is the more attractive trade target but I would rather someone a bit more veteran, our blueline needs experience more than anything.

OF17

Dec 2, 2007
en France
I don't think Vancouver has any interest in trading Edler. If they trade him, they might as well trade the Sedins and Burrows as well and mail in any chance of competing in the near future. That's a huge decision to make, and the proposed trade doesn't provide them enough value to start the fall of dominos.

I wonder if Toronto would have interest in Schultz for a 3rd. There's the relationship with Gardiner, the fact that Toronto doesn't have many RHD, the "big game" quality of the acquisition that would appeal to the fans. It might actually work out for them. We of course get cap space and a roster space. The 3rd is just a sweetener.

Even if you can't trade him though, Justin Schultz has no place on next year's team. Walk away if anything.

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013
Jim Benning wouldn't trade the Oilers Eddie Lack because he was too afraid of him making them look bad playing in the division, so he's definitely not going to trade Alex Edler and Jannik Hansen here.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Jim Benning wouldn't trade the Oilers Eddie Lack because he was too afraid of him making them look bad playing in the division, so he's definitely not going to trade Alex Edler and Jannik Hansen here.

Chia just has to coax out his alter ego Jim Bending. It's been done before by other GM's.:laugh:

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
So apparently their are rumors of Hamonic to STL, which doesn't make much sense to me. Friedman reported a three way deal falling apart between EDM/STL/NYI a month ago so maybe they have started talking again.

To NYI: Shattenkirk

To STL: RNH

To EDM: Hamonic and the rights to Sobotka

Doesn't really help the Oilers stomach the loss of RNH this year, but Sobotka as a 3C would be fine next year.

scb23

Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton
So apparently their are rumors of Hamonic to STL, which doesn't make much sense to me. Friedman reported a three way deal falling apart between EDM/STL/NYI a month ago so maybe they have started talking again.

Doesn't really help the Oilers stomach the loss of RNH this year, but Sobotka as a 3C would be fine next year.

If RNH is what it takes for Blues to move Shattenkirk out, why would we settle for Hamonic in this deal?

I guess Ham is signed longer at a good cap hit... but that's not a very good return for RNH

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country

I know a ton of posters are pushing RNH out but I doubt McLellan and Chia trade him. Especially not with McLellan going to bat for him the way he did.

I think Eberle is the guy who gets traded. That team is very top heavy offense wise. After Tarasenko (33p in 32g) and Steen (30p in 32g), they have Backes at 20p and then Brouwer with 14.

They aren't lacking C's. Between Statsny (7M/yr), Lehtara (4M/yr) and Backes, I think they need wingers who can put the puck in the back of the net. Eberle could give them the secondary scoring they need.

I think we add to Eberle to get Hamonic back.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
If RNH is what it takes for Blues to move Shattenkirk out, why would we settle for Hamonic in this deal?

I guess Ham is signed longer at a good cap hit... but that's not a very good return for RNH

I'd take Hamonic over Shattenkirk if given the choice. Better contract and a better all around game with the ability to eat more minutes. I think he fits what the Oilers are looking for a little better.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
I know a ton of posters are pushing RNH out but I doubt McLellan and Chia trade him. Especially not with McLellan going to bat for him the way he did.

I think Eberle is the guy who gets traded. That team is very top heavy offense wise. After Tarasenko (33p in 32g) and Steen (30p in 32g), they have Backes at 20p and then Brouwer with 14.

They aren't lacking C's. Between Statsny (7M/yr), Lehtara (4M/yr) and Backes, I think they need wingers who can put the puck in the back of the net. Eberle could give them the secondary scoring they need.

I'd be all over that. I just always hear Blues fans say they need a 1C for Shatty. Considering Backes and Brouwer are possibly heading to UFA this summer it might make sense for them to target Eberle.

scb23

Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton
I'd take Hamonic over Shattenkirk if given the choice. Better contract and a better all around game with the ability to eat more minutes. I think he fits what the Oilers are looking for a little better.

I have a sinking feeling Hamonic is getting grossly overrated just because he's available. We've had way too many eastern shut down defensmen come here and flounder. I'd like to see a player on the blue line that can contribute more than 15 points a year. We already have a glut of those.

Not saying he wouldn't improve our team, but that player should not cost RNH to acquire.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
I kind of feel like Shattenkirk would get exposed playing on this team. He's supposed to be a 2nd pairing guy that runs the PP and generally provides offense. Wouldn't he be out of his element playing on the 1st pair?

But this isn't important anyway, because with his impending UFA status I just don't see him as a realistic option.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

That's a huge win for the Islanders. I'd say that Shattenkirk is a full tier above Hamonic. He is solid defensively and one of the best offensive defensemen in the nhl. The only issue is his contract. If I am the Oilers I prefer to cut out the middle man if possible, though the contract may be the stickler. Unless you know you can sign Shattenkirk long term Hamonic may be the safer choice. I still don't like the return for RNH but it is not nearly as unrealistic as some deals we see if they could get Sobotka to return.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

Personally, I am more comfortable with this approach.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
I have a sinking feeling Hamonic is getting grossly overrated just because he's available. We've had way too many eastern shut down defensmen come here and flounder. I'd like to see a player on the blue line that can contribute more than 15 points a year. We already have a glut of those.

Not saying he wouldn't improve our team, but that player should not cost RNH to acquire.

Just because Hamonic doesn't get a push on the PP doesn't mean he is a typical no offense shutdown style defenseman. Last year he scored more 5vs5 points than any Oiler defenseman has since 2008/09. You know, 5vs5, where the Oilers have been repeatedly destroyed in goal differential year after year of this rebuild.
But the draw for me with Hamonic is that he will prevent a ton of goals at ES while not taking away anything from the offense. The Oilers would suddenly be a lot harder to play against with Hamonic or Nurse being on the ice for three quarters of the game. Compliment those two with excellent puck movers Klefbom and Sekera and the Oilers have a very balanced and competitive top 4.

Jun 9, 2011

Not only that, there are posters on the main board saying they wouldn't trade Petry for RyJo. Yeah, they all look better and gain value in the East. I know I know, Hamonic plays like a western d, heard it before. But Hamonic is only ours the last year of his contract. The guy wants to be in Winnipeg.

I want Seth Jones for RNH.

scb23

Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton
Just because Hamonic doesn't get a push on the PP doesn't mean he is a typical no offense shutdown style defenseman. Last year he scored more 5vs5 points than any Oiler defenseman has since 2008/09. You know, 5vs5, where the Oilers have been repeatedly destroyed in goal differential year after year of this rebuild.
But the draw for me with Hamonic is that he will prevent a ton of goals at ES while not taking away anything from the offense. The Oilers would suddenly be a lot harder to play against with Hamonic or Nurse being on the ice for three quarters of the game. Compliment those two with excellent puck movers Klefbom and Sekera and the Oilers have a very balanced and competitive top 4.

Yeah, fair enough. I haven't seen enough of him to have a good feel for what he can do. He may well be a perfect fit, but if RNH is the price I don't think he leaves Barclays. That's an insane ask for a player that asked for a trade and gave a small list of teams.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Yeah, fair enough. I haven't seen enough of him to have a good feel for what he can do. He may well be a perfect fit, but if RNH is the price I don't think he leaves Barclays. That's an insane ask for a player that asked for a trade and gave a small list of teams.

I wouldn't give up RNH for Hamonic either, but they've always wanted defence back and they have Tavares, Strome, and Barzal for their future centers. Don't see a fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad