Rumor: Trade Rumors and Proposals: Will Chia get us an Xmas gift?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Yeah, fair enough. I haven't seen enough of him to have a good feel for what he can do. He may well be a perfect fit, but if RNH is the price I don't think he leaves Barclays. That's an insane ask for a player that asked for a trade and gave a small list of teams.

I agree RNH should be worth more on the market than Hamonic given his trade request. That is why a middle 6 center (Sobotka) would be coming back with him. Sobotka would be a very good 40 point 3rd line C and has ties to Chia. The last player Chia traded for who was in the KHL has worked out pretty well for the Oilers so far.

oilz89*

Someone needs to spell out in crayon for me why a 21 year old D-man fills the Oilers' need for an experienced top 4 D man when we already have Nurse and Klef.

So its bad to have more top 4 dmen? Klef is injured and our D looks like how it did with eakins

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Someone needs to spell out in crayon for me why a 21 year old D-man fills the Oilers' need for an experienced top 4 D man when we already have Nurse and Klef.

Oilers need to target a top pairing RD in the 25 to 30 age range. If they add that then they are a playoff caliber team.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

He's a big, mobile, right shooting, 21 year old, top 4 dman, with great puck skills, and elite #1 potential. I'll take that over a guy like Hamonic any day

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions

Jones might only be 21, but he's closing in on 200 NHL games so he's not exactly a rookie. Assuming this is a deal that would go down in the summer, he'll have spent three years learning from two of the best defensemen in the league in Weber and Josi. Guy has all the tools to be an elite #1, and those years of learning under those two will help him become that #1.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Jones might only be 21, but he's closing in on 200 NHL games so he's not exactly a rookie. Assuming this is a deal that would go down in the summer, he'll have spent three years learning from two of the best defensemen in the league in Weber and Josi. Guy has all the tools to be an elite #1, and those years of learning under those two will help him become that #1.

Jones the saviour. The kids does not hit, does not score and does not play the tough minutes.
He is pretty much 3rd pairing in NSH with Ellis playing 2nd pairing RD behind Weber.

I would take Hamonic over Jones every day of the week. Fits in perfectly in just about every way including age and salary.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I wouldn't give up RNH for Hamonic either, but they've always wanted defence back and they have Tavares, Strome, and Barzal for their future centers. Don't see a fit.

Strome they are trying to convert into a winger and Barzal is years away.
Good teams dont pencil in recently drafted kids.. see Strome (2011 draftee)

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I like the idea of trying to trade a scorer to anaheim but then again...why help a team in our division?

In any case, I was thinking about a 3way involving eberle, vatanen, and hamonic (gross, dude) but again...why help anaheim?

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
I know a ton of posters are pushing RNH out but I doubt McLellan and Chia trade him. Especially not with McLellan going to bat for him the way he did.

I think Eberle is the guy who gets traded. That team is very top heavy offense wise. After Tarasenko (33p in 32g) and Steen (30p in 32g), they have Backes at 20p and then Brouwer with 14.

They aren't lacking C's. Between Statsny (7M/yr), Lehtara (4M/yr) and Backes, I think they need wingers who can put the puck in the back of the net. Eberle could give them the secondary scoring they need.

I think we add to Eberle to get Hamonic back.

It's deceptive because Schwartz is injured (Berglund too), but he'll be back in the next month or two. And Backes might price himself off the team. Fabbri could be the heir at center, but he's at wing for now. The Blues are not in a position to trade a .8 point per game defenseman for a winger, especially one who scores at a lower rate.
With Schwartz healthy, their top three scorers are wings. The Blues' needs are a #4 lefty defenseman who is better than Gunnarsson, a not-old scoring center, and a 2nd line right wing. But the only one of those that would make Shattenkirk worth moving is the center.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
I like the idea of trying to trade a scorer to anaheim but then again...why help a team in our division?

In any case, I was thinking about a 3way involving eberle, vatanen, and hamonic (gross, dude) but again...why help anaheim?

I don't see how a three way trade for Hamonic would ever work because in every case I've seen proposed I'd rather just take the defenseman going to NY.

Jun 9, 2011
Jones the saviour. The kids does not hit, does not score and does not play the tough minutes.
He is pretty much 3rd pairing in NSH with Ellis playing 2nd pairing RD behind Weber.

I would take Hamonic over Jones every day of the week. Fits in perfectly in just about every way including age and salary.
What if he decides he needs to be in Winnipeg? Sorry yeg, not close enough. Also Jones might syay longer than 4 years, Hamonic probably bolts. I take Jones.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
What if he decides he needs to be in Winnipeg? Sorry yeg, not close enough. Also Jones might syay longer than 4 years, Hamonic probably bolts. I take Jones.

Jones is a big risk, he seems to be the kind of player the oilers are in love with, potential and promise.

The oilers need more jam back there, they have too many non physical puck movers that are not very good at moving the puck. Jones is fine, but hes not what the Oilers need. This team needs to stop being soft.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
I'm not really a fan of Jones given the price for potential rather than guarantee.

For Eberle or Eberle+: Shattenkirk, Hamonic, Barrie, Burns
For Yakupov or Yak+: Ellis, McNabb, Spurgeon, Dumba, Severson, maybe Barrie, Kulikov
UFA: Byfuglien

Those are the options more or less that I could see being good for us.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Jones scares me.

He'd go from playing some of the easiest minutes in the NHL to being the Oilers de facto #1/2.

Seems like a recipe for disaster.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007

EDM has put enough stock into young up and coming players becoming "elite" since this rebuild x3 began. Jones would just be another on the list. Pass.

If we're going for a #1 dman, it's going to be a current #1 dman. No if's and's or but's. :popcorn:

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
I prefer Shattenkirk over Hamonic or Jones. Jones does seem risky with the highest price tag also.

Shattenkirk is very consistent and has a shot that would be vital on the Oilers defence and for the PP unit.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
EDM has put enough stock into young up and coming players becoming "elite" since this rebuild x3 began. Jones would just be another on the list. Pass.

If we're going for a #1 dman, it's going to be a current #1 dman. No if's and's or but's. :popcorn:

The problem is that it's incredibly hard to as the price would be extremely high and there's only a few teams that could afford to do it.

The other options are targeting a pending FA or a guy like Jones who has top pairing upside (and hoping he reaches it).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad