Rumor: Trade Rumors and Proposals: Will Chia get us an Xmas gift?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
As it currently sits the Oilers are within $3M of the cap without including any of these bonuses. This year they are at risk of going over because of the bonuses but you need to convert the current cap hits into real cap hits because going forward there is no bonus cushion. Your team would also almost certainly take bonus overages in the next two years compounding your issues.

Right now you have hard cap hits totalling about $3.9M for the three. If you have McDavid at $9.5M, Drai at $6 and the two defensemen at $4.25M you need to find $20M in increases. With all of your signings who is coming off the books to make room? Chicago had to find $8M in one year and it cost them Sharp and Saad. With Nurse and McDavid up in year three and with a bonus overage you could be looking at having to find $12-15M in new cap space in one year. Who goes?

And the whole win now thing is a bit foolish if it means you have to dismantle the team when McDavid is about to turn 21. No way you can have everything you are asking for and hope to stay under the cap going forward.

Using your projected cap hits, there is no way the Oilers keep the players they currently have anyways.

Hall, Drai, Ebs, RNH, and McDavid would combine for 34 million in three years with Eberle's contract ending and Hall probably deserving a big bump the next year.
Never mind Pouliot still at 4m and Yakupov needing a new deal after next year.

I'm not big on bringing Stamkos in as I feel he does not play the type of game the Oilers need, but it is interesting to speculate.

The win now thing is not foolish at all. The Oilers have a player who may score 100 points in the next few years on an ELC. Combine that with Hall on a sweetheart deal, a top 4 defenseman in Nurse on an ELC, a top line producing Center in Drai on an ELC, and what looks like a solid goalie in Nilsson who won't be too expensive for the next few years. That is a cap advantage that needs to be capitalized on by the Oilers.

One top pairing right handed defenseman, one bottom pairing PP D, and a few balls to the wall defensively reliable middle 6 forwards that play a heavy game and I think the Oilers could make a lot of noise sooner than later. I would say at minimum 2 of RNH/Ebs/Yak need to be shipped out to balance this roster.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Someone here during preseason said two things to look for this year before post got deleted by mod.

One is Hall for Weber
The other was watch for Stamkos to sign here.

Obviously it was likely bs but kind of amusing that it's not the first time such a thought came about

I don't know which one of us deleted it but if it gets deleted, much more often than not it doesn't come to fruition. TBH I can't remember a time that someone with "a source" had their post deleted and then what they said came to fruition. What sucks even worse is that there are a handful of posters here that post numerous "rumors" and none of them go down. I can count the posters whose word I'd trust on stuff like that on one hand.

Agreed. Im only trading RNH for a quality D, or possibly for a Lucic or Kesler-type forward. Otherwise, just keep the Nuge.

This does not line up at all with your commentary on the player of late. I'd think that you'd move him strictly as a cap dump.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
"Isn't that good" is a relative statement.

Stamkos "isn't as good" as he was a few years ago. Stamkos "isn't as good" as an 11M dollar player should be. Stamkos "isn't as good" in the playoffs.

I don't think Lay Z Boy GM was suggesting Stamkos isn't a good player.

I donno. Stamkos is also only 25 years old. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets back to 50-60 goals and 80-100 points again at some point here.

Although if we're going for a 10-12 million dollar centerman UFA, I think I might rather go for the one in Southern California and go at Kopitar.

But I donno why we'd bother going after either. I suppose it opens up the option of trading RNH for some defensive upgrade..... but that's a lot of moving pieces, that kind of thing never actually happens.

Stamkos really doesn't make any sense here...

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Please god no to Stamkos

Oilers and leafs always after same things. Let them win like they did with clarkson

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Maybe it's time to start worrying about the now, and not 3 years down the line. Take advantage of a superstar on an entry level deal.

Drai, McDavid, Nurse, and Klefbom will not be close to a 20 mil increase on their 2nd contracts. More like 13-15 considering they will hit a lot of bonuses on their ELC.

You can't keep holding back on improving the team because you're worried what might happen in 3 years.
Look at Chicago. They have to dump players every few years because they can't afford them but they are under the cap every fall and ice a contender.

Good point. The wait for the illustrious has always trumped th present. And what has it gotten us? More top 3 picks.

I like the boldness of a Stamkos deal, but I'm not sure if it's the right move.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
If we are really in on Stamkos we should just wait til he his free agency and make a pitch for him... no need to waste assets on a rental

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Only way Stamkos ends up here is if he is deadset on playing with McDavid, and takes a fairly large discount to play alongside him. Max of like $8M per year.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Using your projected cap hits, there is no way the Oilers keep the players they currently have anyways.

Hall, Drai, Ebs, RNH, and McDavid would combine for 34 million in three years with Eberle's contract ending and Hall probably deserving a big bump the next year.
Never mind Pouliot still at 4m and Yakupov needing a new deal after next year.

I'm not big on bringing Stamkos in as I feel he does not play the type of game the Oilers need, but it is interesting to speculate.

The win now thing is not foolish at all. The Oilers have a player who may score 100 points in the next few years on an ELC. Combine that with Hall on a sweetheart deal, a top 4 defenseman in Nurse on an ELC, a top line producing Center in Drai on an ELC, and what looks like a solid goalie in Nilsson who won't be too expensive for the next few years. That is a cap advantage that needs to be capitalized on by the Oilers.

One top pairing right handed defenseman, one bottom pairing PP D, and a few balls to the wall defensively reliable middle 6 forwards that play a heavy game and I think the Oilers could make a lot of noise sooner than later. I would say at minimum 2 of RNH/Ebs/Yak need to be shipped out to balance this roster.

As it currently stands the Oilers can probably afford what they have and to add say a $7M defenseman. You are adding about $5M on top of that by exchanging RNH/Eberle for Stamkos and Lucic. That is a huge difference in a league where the gap between the top and bottom of the salary range is just a bit over $16M. Shedding $5M when you have no real deadweight is almost impossible in today's NHL. To clear than much salary means two key player are out.

No one would argue with the Oilers trying to compete sooner than later. But your method potentially closes the window when McDavid's ELC ends. And it may well be that trades are made with core players. But it is completely unrealistic to think that changing this teams fortunes going forward will happen in the way that is often proposed on here.

If you're trading Eberle or RNH or Yakupov be prepared to get a second tier player in return at best. For example, if you are moving RNH anytime soon to Nashville it won't be one of Jones, Josi or Weber coming back, it will be Ellis plus pieces. Poile has clearly stated that he is building around Jones and has no interest in moving him. These guys know that your best chance to win is with home grown talent that you get to commit long term. So unless Jones tells him he wants out or wants Subban-money Jones will not be traded for one of your cast offs. You might get lucky and get Hamonic because of the special circumstances. But straight up high quality for high quality trades are extremely rare in the NHL. In all honesty, I can't remember the last one that happened.

Last edited:

oilz89*

Please god no to Stamkos

Oilers and leafs always after same things. Let them win like they did with clarkson

LOL the way your saying it makes me think you consider Clarkson at the same level of player Stammer is

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
I don't know which one of us deleted it but if it gets deleted, much more often than not it doesn't come to fruition. TBH I can't remember a time that someone with "a source" had their post deleted and then what they said came to fruition. What sucks even worse is that there are a handful of posters here that post numerous "rumors" and none of them go down. I can count the posters whose word I'd trust on stuff like that on one hand.

This does not line up at all with your commentary on the player of late. I'd think that you'd move him strictly as a cap dump.

Well, I get a little over zealous at times. RNH is a good player, just not a great offensive talent. I'm not tradin him unless I think I will improve the team. There are question marks with Stammer.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I donno. Stamkos is also only 25 years old. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets back to 50-60 goals and 80-100 points again at some point here.

Although if we're going for a 10-12 million dollar centerman UFA, I think I might rather go for the one in Southern California and go at Kopitar.

But I donno why we'd bother going after either. I suppose it opens up the option of trading RNH for some defensive upgrade..... but that's a lot of moving pieces, that kind of thing never actually happens.

Stamkos really doesn't make any sense here...

I watched some of those Tampa games during the end of his 60 goal run. That whole team was looking for a positive story for that season so they were gearing their whole strategy around getting Stamkos to those totals. When the team started to care more about winning, Stamkos' production started to fall and it's still low compared to his career totals.

In Toronto, he would be the undeniable #1 player on that team and could score 60. On the Oilers, there is always the chance that gets overshadowed by one of our other players, McDavid and Hall specifically. That splits his production.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
we can discuss that but i wouldn't post it on the boards lol

I definitely think that Stamkos is the better player but his potential cap hit could cripple a team. I wouldn't sign him for a dime over $8 million per for that reason. I'd add to Eberle but that'd be the basis of Stamkos signing a reasonable deal. If he wants $10 million per he can look elsewhere.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Well, I get a little over zealous at times. RNH is a good player, just not a great offensive talent. I'm not tradin him unless I think I will improve the team. There are question marks with Stammer.

Fair enough, but fwiw it makes it harder to take you serious when you go over the top IMO.

I'm a big RNH fan but there are players that I'd move him for without hesitation.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Stamkos would add a RH one timer and a true sniper. He'd be a big time compliment to McDavid. That said I would not give up assets for him that could land us a 1/2D.

Just spitballing here:

To Tampa: Eberle and our '16 1st
To Edmonton: Stamkos (7 years @ $8 million per) + $2 million in cap over Eberle.

Don't re-sign Schultz/Open up ~$4 million
Sign Byfuglien 7 years @ $6.75 million = + ~$2.75 million in cap over Schultz

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
Signing Stamkos makes some sense. You could easily deal both Eberle and RNH for help on the blueline and in the bottom 6 in that scenario.

Trading assets doesn't make a lot of sense at this point IMO.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
As it currently stands the Oilers can probably afford what they have and to add say a $7M defenseman. You are adding about $5M on top of that by exchanging RNH/Eberle for Stamkos and Lucic. That is a huge difference in a league where the gap between the top and bottom of the salary range is just a bit over $16M. Shedding $5M when you have no real deadweight is almost impossible in today's NHL. To clear than much salary means two key player are out.

No one would argue with the Oilers trying to compete sooner than later. But your method potentially closes the window when McDavid's ELC ends. And it may well be that trades are made with core players. But it is completely unrealistic to think that changing this teams fortunes going forward will happen in the way that is often proposed on here.

Trade RNH for Hamonic+ and you save over 3 mil on that top pairing D. Forget Lucic and sign Brouwer or trade Ebs for a winger like Kreider who will cost around 4-5 per on a long term deal. Boom, there's your 5 mil banked.

If Stamkos really wants to play with McDavid the Oilers would be foolish to look a gift horse in the mouth. How many opportunities does a team have to sign a UFA who has scored as many goals as Stamkos at the same age? If he costs over 10 mil per I would be more hesitant but I look at it this way: what has more value? RNH and Eberle, or Stamkos, and the returns from trading RNH and Eberle? (Hamonic and Kreider for arguments sake)

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Its usually the struggling markets that get these kinds of players on a long term deal. Less attention and pressure on said player and an opportunity to help a struggling team.

When was the last time that any Canadian team has signed a legit superstar UFA?

No way any sane star player signs with the leafs. There are very few who could deal with being under a microscope.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
The one thing you have to like about Stamkos is that he would either cost virtually nothing in a trade or literally nothing in UFA. Yes we'd be forking out big money for him, but it's a superstar for free. You then shop RNH and Eberle for help on the backend and depth up front. We will have lots of cap space this summer. The only worry is about our future cap, but depending on what we could get for RNH and Eberle, + adding Stamkos it might be worth a look.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Who is this guy?

Chaotic just explained it. Props to him.
I just mentioned it since I just find it amusing if Stamkos comes to Edmonton. Will TSN and leaf fans whine and proclaim that we robbed Stamkos like how they rigged the lottery draft? **** Toronto's media. :laugh:

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
5 1st overalls+ a 3rd overall (worthy of being a first) in the top 6, yes please. Hall Drai Yak Nuge Mcdavid Stammer. Score all the goals, drink all the tears and win all the cups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad