Rumor: Trade Rumors and Proposals: Will Chia get us an Xmas gift?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
5 1st overalls+ a 3rd overall (worthy of being a first) in the top 6, yes please. Hall Drai Yak Nuge Mcdavid Stammer. Score all the goals, drink all the tears and win all the cups.

We're already likely looking at one of RNH/Eberle being moved in the off-season. If we added Stamkos, I don't see how/why we'd keep RNH.

Hall - Stamkos - Draisaitl
Pouliot - McDavid - Yakupov
xxxxxxx - xxxxxxxx - xxxxxxx
Hendricks - Letestu - Korpikoski

Klefbom - xxxxxx
Sekera - Nurse
Reinhart - xxxxxx
Davidson

You shop RNH and Eberle and try to round out the team that way IMO.

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
We're already likely looking at one of RNH/Eberle being moved in the off-season. If we added Stamkos, I don't see how/why we'd keep RNH.

Hall - Stamkos - Draisaitl
Pouliot - McDavid - Yakupov
xxxxxxx - xxxxxxxx - xxxxxxx
Hendricks - Letestu - Korpikoski

Klefbom - xxxxxx
Sekera - Nurse
Reinhart - xxxxxx
Davidson

You shop RNH and Eberle and try to round out the team that way IMO.

Or you have a 3rd line of xxxxxxx Nuge Eberle :yo: then we can sign buff and trade our first for hamonic (not realistic at all I know but let me live in my fantasy world for a minute)

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
You could move Eberle+ for an extended Stamkos in a sign-and-trade, move Yak for a D-man, sign Frans Nielsen in the offseason and re-sign Purcell on a cheap 1 year, 2M deal and run:

Hall-RNH-Draisaitl
Pouliot-McDavid-Stamkos
Hartnell-Nielsen-Purcell

Don't know who fits in the 3rd line LW spot but I'm thinking we are looking at the best offense in the league.

EDIT: Maybe we can still do something with Fayne, Korpikoski + pick for Hartnell? Scary part is this can all work under the cap, at least for one year.

I'd be willing to package Yak + Reinhart to see what we can get for a top 4 RHD.

Last edited:

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Or you have a 3rd line of xxxxxxx Nuge Eberle :yo: then we can sign buff and trade our first for hamonic (not realistic at all I know but let me live in my fantasy world for a minute)

Signing Stamkos is already extremely questionable for our future cap.. signing Byfuglien and Stamkos while keeping 12M between Eberle and RNH? Yea..

psowrc

Feb 21, 2015
Stamkos just finished last season playing for the Stanley Cup...has established himself as the premier goal scorer in the league. Why would he choose to come to a team that may not make the playoffs? I'm sure he is aware of our defense core.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Come on guys we don't need to throw 10M+ at Stamkos.
If we're picking up a forward it's either a power forward how can play in the top six or some high level shut down wingers with speed...

But a few d-men should be our first priority.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Stamkos just finished last season playing for the Stanley Cup...has established himself as the premier goal scorer in the league. Why would he choose to come to a team that may not make the playoffs? I'm sure he is aware of our defense core.

Why would he choose to go to a team like the Leafs, that won't even be relevant for another two years at least?

I tell you this much though - I don't even consider trading for him. It'd cost way too much. If he wants to become a free agent, and would consider Edmonton, that's different, because signing him would ACTUALLY make a guy like Ebs or RNH redundant. That's where you get in a position of strength.

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006

Because the oilers are legitimately on the rise finally. Plus, stamkos has publicaly stated he has a huge man crush on mcdavid, and I'm betting stamkos would love to play with him. Now, I'm not stating the oilers are a front runner because of this, far from it, but this is the first time since been since that oilers are an actual plausible landing spot for a free agent superstar, and the media arnt laughing it off. And that's all because of mcdavid.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Don't want to see them tie up 10M + on Stamkos especially cause you know his agent Don Meehan will squeeze whatever team for every penny possible, max term and an airtight NMC/NTC.

But on the other hand:

Hall - Drai - Stamkos

or

xxxx - McDavid - Stamkos

Leafs fans would probably drive out to Edmonton to riot, I'd imagine it would look like a scene out of Mad Max.

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
Signing Stamkos is already extremely questionable for our future cap.. signing Byfuglien and Stamkos while keeping 12M between Eberle and RNH? Yea..

Why would he choose to go to a team like the Leafs, that won't even be relevant for another two years at least?

I tell you this much though - I don't even consider trading for him. It'd cost way too much. If he wants to become a free agent, and would consider Edmonton, that's different, because signing him would ACTUALLY make a guy like Ebs or RNH redundant. That's where you get in a position of strength.

I was mostly kidding with keeping all the forwards +stam and buff but it would give us an extremely stacked roster. I agree on not trading for him but entertaining the possibility of signing him. It would be found money, and once again trolling the rest of the league is fun.....maybe he signs here at a reasonable rate because he sees this team as a chance to be a part of something historic. No matter what though I would hope Chiarelli looks any options that involve trading futures over Nuge or Ebs, stockpile all the talent you can fit under the cap, trade it once your left with no choice.

oilz89*

Darcy McLeod is his name I think. He's on Lowetide sometimes. It would almost be worth it just based on the howls of outrage that would come from Toronto. :laugh:

so does it have any legitimacy or is he just playing around?

I Like Foolish Posts

Apr 25, 2012
Trade RNH, Yakupov for Jones, Smith + prospect
Sign Stamkos, Eriksson/Ladd, Nielsen

Eriksson/Ladd - McDavid - Stamkos
Hall - Draisaitl - Eberle
Pouliot - Nielsen - Smith
Hendricks - Letestu - Khaira/UFA/Other depth player

Klefbom - Jones
Nurse - Sekera
Reinhart - Davidson

Boy, do I love to dream...

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

connor-mcdavid.jpg

It doesn't matter anyway. Unless he's willing to make a massive discount to sign here and the Oilers plan on rolling with the 3 centers of McDavid, Drai and Stamkos (assuming that Nuge is dealt in this scenario) then there's no chance he's signing here. Apparently part of his falling out with Cooper is him wanting to play center and Cooper insisting on playing him at wing so unless you want to move Drai or McDavid to wing (which doesn't make much sense) then Stamkos isn't a fit.
Oh and the Oilers need...... DEFENSE. Not to tie up double digit cap figures to another skilled forward with questionable defensive ability.

The main reason why I'd like to see him sign here is to feel the rain of Leafs Nation tears but ultimately, it seems like he's destined to sign in Toronto. An ideal fit on many levels.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
connor-mcdavid.jpg

It doesn't matter anyway. Unless he's willing to make a massive discount to sign here and the Oilers plan on rolling with the 3 centers of McDavid, Drai and Stamkos (assuming that Nuge is dealt in this scenario) then there's no chance he's signing here. Apparently part of his falling out with Cooper is him wanting to play center and Cooper insisting on playing him at wing so unless you want to move Drai or McDavid to wing (which doesn't make much sense) then Stamkos isn't a fit.
Oh and the Oilers need...... DEFENSE. Not to tie up double digit cap figures to another skilled forward with questionable defensive ability.

The main reason why I'd like to see him sign here is to feel the rain of Leafs Nation tears but ultimately, it seems like he's destined to sign in Toronto. An ideal fit on many levels.

Thing is, if you can sign a guy like Stamkos to a slightly lower deal by selling him on McDavid, he's pretty much a free asset. You can now deal an Eberle or Nuge away to get that D man while not losing the high end depth up front with the addition of Stamkos

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I wish that Tampa would just hurry up and resign Stamkos. It makes zero sense for Edmonton to try and sign him. It makes zero sense for him to sign with Toronto.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Thing is, if you can sign a guy like Stamkos to a slightly lower deal by selling him on McDavid, he's pretty much a free asset. You can now deal an Eberle or Nuge away to get that D man while not losing the high end depth up front with the addition of Stamkos

That would have to be a hard sell though.

Would he turn down $10M/yr from Toronto where he can be closer to home and be the #1 center to come to Edmonton for around $8M/yr to play on McDavid's wing? I'd say that's bordering on impossible.

I get that they will have to replace Nuge and/or Eberle's production if either or both are traded but I don't think Stamkos is a realistic target. It just seems so far out there to be realistic.

Chia needs to focus on upgrading the defense and adding a couple of 2 way forwards that play a heavy game. How he gets that done I have no idea, it's going to be tough to do.

orbiter11

Sep 11, 2014
Just trade RNH for Stamkos signed. Both players are rather soft and for Tampa to get a high producing player at 6 mill as oppose to 10 mill might work. Then you move Eberle and Yak for another 8 mill in cap space it could possibly work wit Mcdavid and Draistail on entry level contracts.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Trade RNH for Hamonic+ and you save over 3 mil on that top pairing D. Forget Lucic and sign Brouwer or trade Ebs for a winger like Kreider who will cost around 4-5 per on a long term deal. Boom, there's your 5 mil banked.

If Stamkos really wants to play with McDavid the Oilers would be foolish to look a gift horse in the mouth. How many opportunities does a team have to sign a UFA who has scored as many goals as Stamkos at the same age? If he costs over 10 mil per I would be more hesitant but I look at it this way: what has more value? RNH and Eberle, or Stamkos, and the returns from trading RNH and Eberle? (Hamonic and Kreider for arguments sake)

At least now you are getting closer. But it is not really Stamkos and the returns for Nuge and Eberle vs Nuge and Eberle. The difference between Stamkos and those two is only about $2M so you also have to account for the extra cap space you use. And that's assuming that there is no other cost in acquiring Stamkos. If you have to trade for his rights that cost also has to be factored in. And acquiring his rights in advance is probably the only shot you have of keeping his cap hit anywhere close to a reasonable number. On the open market he will command a fortune.

But it surprises me that you would be targeting Stamkos. Your posts have been all about getting more grit and better defensively. Stamkos is the antithesis of this. He has no physical component to his game and has never been very good defensively.
For a winger you can live with that. But supposedly one of his big issues is that he wants to play center. So now you are forced to give McDavid all the tough defensive assignments and to have Draisaitl on the wing.

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
Just trade RNH for Stamkos signed. Both players are rather soft and for Tampa to get a high producing player at 6 mill as oppose to 10 mill might work. Then you move Eberle and Yak for another 8 mill in cap space it could possibly work wit Mcdavid and Draistail on entry level contracts.

RNH wouldn't get you Stamkos' left leg.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
Oilers have a glut of high-end forwards so it makes perfect sense to sign another high-end forward to a cap-destroying contract. Because reasons. :badidea:

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I'm looking at this from two completely different angles.

The first is Stamkos signing here, which I put at less than 1% chance of happening.

1) It needs to be for 10m or less.

2) I understand people are worried about that future cap space, but with a free stamkos, we could make some deals and contend next season. Chicago doesn't regret signing Hossa. They simply had to trade players later for futures and keep a perpetual rebuild under their stars that kept them contending.

All that said, I'm 99%+ certain he won't sign here and I see it as a good thing for 2 reasons.

1) His contract. If we throw the kind of money his way that he will be asking, we may find it tougher to sign McDavid, Draisaitl and Nurse to hometown discounts on their next contracts.

2) If we are spending 10m on free agency, I would rather it be on a 7m #1 dman, and spend the rest on a middle 6 vet forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad