Rumor: Trade Rumors and Proposals: Will Chia get us an Xmas gift?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Three way deal.

To Edm Hamonic
To NYI RyJo
To Columbus Schultz and a 1st rounder. :D

The thing is that CBJ is after the same thing as us.. A top pairing RHD..
Adds competition for Oilers considering who they have as a trade chip.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
If you get Stamkos as a UFA you then can trade someone else for that defensive help

I guess so.
His cap hit puts us in Chicago territory though, without the cups.
Stamkos at 10 will hurt us more than help. Imo.
Assets and cap space should go to defence and roster balance.

scb23

Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton
If the dollars make sense with those two I'd have no problem going long term with them. If they're willing to take the long term deal at around $5M per, that'll go a long way towards keeping more of the core together.

Agreed. I love that Chiarelli did this with Klef - that already looks like a steal. Lock those guys up, they can play.

randomrob7

Aug 30, 2013
I heard them talking on TSN 1260 about Stamkos possibly coming to Edmonton as per McKenzie. Is there any truth to this or are they just making white noise to fill airtime?

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
Super high end talent almost never becomes available. Super high end Dmen almost never become available. Shattenkirk is a pipe dream.

Stamkos is a level higher than most of our other high end talent. 10 million? That's a no go for sure but we really don't know what he would accept and for how long.

I will say this, I am confident tour Gm is at least smart enough to poke around and look into it other than to dismiss it out of hand.

Why would Stamkos settle for less than $10 million when he'll definitely get offers of that much? The Leafs will put it out there if nobody else does and other teams will, we see Chicago still being a contender with two $10 million players. This is Stamkos home run deal, he'll never make this kind of coin again so he better get as much as he can now. I half think the whole liking the reports of him going to the Leafs was to put pressure on Lightning management to get a deal done.

Thinking you'll be able to sign him at $9 million or less is a pipe dream. The lightning might be able to get a cap hit under 10 with the extra year to spread it out but even that is doubtful. Agents know how salaries rise over time and even if it seems like an exorbitant cap hit now it will be less of an issue in the future. Someone will pay.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I heard them talking on TSN 1260 about Stamkos possibly coming to Edmonton as per McKenzie. Is there any truth to this or are they just making white noise to fill airtime?

Anything McKenzie says can be assumed to have at least a grain of truth. That being said, unless he is willing to accept a 9-10M deal I don't see how the Oilers can fit him in and keep McDavid.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Agreed s7ark, nor can they afford the defensive help they truly need (hearing Barrie may not be resigning with Colorado, for example).

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Why would Stamkos settle for less than $10 million when he'll definitely get offers of that much? The Leafs will put it out there if nobody else does and other teams will, we see Chicago still being a contender with two $10 million players. This is Stamkos home run deal, he'll never make this kind of coin again so he better get as much as he can now. I half think the whole liking the reports of him going to the Leafs was to put pressure on Lightning management to get a deal done.

Thinking you'll be able to sign him at $9 million or less is a pipe dream. The lightning might be able to get a cap hit under 10 with the extra year to spread it out but even that is doubtful. Agents know how salaries rise over time and even if it seems like an exorbitant cap hit now it will be less of an issue in the future. Someone will pay.

You are making assumptions here, someone tossed out a value of 10 million and now it's the bible it seems. Not everyone goes for max value contracts when other things may be in play.

You investigate his availability and show interest and see what parameters are. The Kevin Lowe method of management is saying, oh he won't be available and ignoring him.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Anything McKenzie says can be assumed to have at least a grain of truth. That being said, unless he is willing to accept a 9-10M deal I don't see how the Oilers can fit him in and keep McDavid.

RNH and Eberle each make 6 million, we don't have to worry about McDavid for a few years. Unlikely, I agree but we no longer have a sit on your hands GM. This guy has some balls so sooner or later he will make a ballsy and possibly unpopular move.

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
If Stamkos wants to sign here, you sign him and trade other people that are made expendable. Pretty simple.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Not sure how Stamkos could justify a demand of 10M\yr contract.
He will gladly take it if a GM offers that to him but I am sure he knows that he doesnt deserve that amount.

He might even take a million less just to stay away from the centre of the universe.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Agreed s7ark, nor can they afford the defensive help they truly need (hearing Barrie may not be resigning with Colorado, for example).

Even with my super cheap bottom 6 I proposed, and buying out Ference, it'd be tough.

Hall - Drai (6?) - Purcell/Yak (2.5) ~14.5
Pouliot - McDavid - Stamkos (10) 17.5
Hendricks - Letestu - FA (3) 6.6
Khaira - Lander/Yakimov - Pakarinen ~3.5
Yakimov/Lander

Sekera - Nuge Trade/FA (7) ~12.5
Klefa - Nurse 5.5
Davidson - Fayne ~5
Gryba/FA 1

Nilsson/Talbot ~5

Total =~72.3

Even with Fayne coming off the books when we need to extend McDavid (giving us around 6.5 for McDavid) it'd be tight.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
You are making assumptions here, someone tossed out a value of 10 million and now it's the bible it seems. Not everyone goes for max value contracts when other things may be in play.

You investigate his availability and show interest and see what parameters are. The Kevin Lowe method of management is saying, oh he won't be available and ignoring him.

You can investigate it all you want but it's pretty clear the odds are long you'll be able to sign him if you arent willing to pay in the $10 million ballpark. He might even be worth it for a lot of teams and maybe even for the Oil if you can deal other people to fill the holes. You have to be realistic though and if you want Stamkos you have to decide you are willing to pay him $10 million per season. Which probably means trading 2 or 3 of Hall, RNH, Eberle, Draisatl by the time their contracts expire.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010

McKenzie went out of his way, in the article, to mention that he was just spitballing. The teams mentioned were only conjecture on his part.
Agreed that the probable cap hit would be a big problem.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

You do realize that the Kevin Lowe method of management was big whale hunting, don't you? Maybe you got him confused with Tambellini.

The assumption that one of the top goal scorers of his generation in his prime will command somewhere in the ballpark of $10M is a pretty safe one, don't you think?
Assuming that he will take a paycut to sign in Edmonton is a much bigger reach.

The bottom line is that the Oilers aren't in a position to throw the bank at a skilled forward when there are such glaring needs in other areas.

Also, if all the rumors are to be believed and there's a lot of smoke, he doesn't want to play wing which is the biggest reason for the falling out with Cooper so why would he come to Edmonton to play wing? They sure as hell aren't going to move McDavid or Draisaitl to wing. I'm assuming that RNH and Eberle are dealt in this scenario?

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
RNH and Eberle each make 6 million, we don't have to worry about McDavid for a few years. Unlikely, I agree but we no longer have a sit on your hands GM. This guy has some balls so sooner or later he will make a ballsy and possibly unpopular move.

That still leaves ~ 1/4 of the team's cap between Stamkos and McDavid

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
Lowetide Retweeted
Matthew Iwanyk ‏@matthewiwanyk 15m15 minutes ago
Matthew Iwanyk Retweeted Matthew Iwanyk
I was on the Stamkos to Edmonton rumour long before McKenzie Matthew Iwanyk added,
Matthew Iwanyk @matthewiwanyk
Stamkos says Purcell is a "very close friend," Stamkos is a FA after 15-16, Oilers new rink opens 16-17...dots connected #readingintonothing
5 retweets 3 likes
Reply Retweet 5
Like 3
More

Who is this guy?

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Lowetide Retweeted
Matthew Iwanyk ‏@matthewiwanyk 15m15 minutes ago
Matthew Iwanyk Retweeted Matthew Iwanyk
I was on the Stamkos to Edmonton rumour long before McKenzie Matthew Iwanyk added,
Matthew Iwanyk @matthewiwanyk
Stamkos says Purcell is a "very close friend," Stamkos is a FA after 15-16, Oilers new rink opens 16-17...dots connected #readingintonothing
5 retweets 3 likes
Reply Retweet 5
Like 3
More

Who is this guy?

Radio blabbermouth.

Purcell's a UFA. And was a cap dump.

It was a joke.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Radio blabbermouth.

Purcell's a UFA. And was a cap dump.

It was a joke.

Or was it?:sarcasm:

I think the 10m/year figure is all Toronto media's doing to make him priced out of most teams range. The Leafs would gladly take him for 10m+ even just to have some "star power" there

Jun 9, 2011
Stamkos isn't going to come in on a deal and he will probably want a dreaded NMC. We need D. There is too much talent in our top lines, so we need to look for those complementary players and save salary to build the rest of the team. This Stamkos crap is a distracting shiny thing.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
What if.. Stamkos actually does have his best days behind him? Let's say his season continues on it's current projection and he finishes with a merely respectable twenty to thirty goals. What the hell happens then? Does a team still sacrifice everything on a bid for his star power?
He, on a surface value does seem to be declining rather sharply. I know he's only twenty five, but these stars fade fast once their toolboxes are damaged. Players like Stamkos have been scoring goals in the same fashion their entire hockey careers, and once they find that they physically are unable to complete the same moves that were once so effortless to them, they fall back to earth. Not only on a physical level, but a mental one as well.

I say the next team that takes on Stammer, has a project on their hands.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
What if.. Stamkos actually does have his best days behind him? Let's say his season continues on it's current projection and he finishes with a merely respectable twenty to thirty goals. What the hell happens then? Does a team still sacrifice everything on a bid for his star power?
He, on a surface value does seem to be declining rather sharply. I know he's only twenty five, but these stars fade fast once their toolboxes are damaged. Players like Stamkos have been scoring goals in the same fashion their entire hockey careers, and once they find that they physically are unable to complete the same moves that were once so effortless to them, they fall back to earth. Not only on a physical level, but a mental one as well.

I say the next team that takes on Stammer, has a project on their hands.

Stamkos had 43 goals last year...

He's just fallen victim to whatever plague is robbing the stars of the Eastern Conference of their abilities this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad