Rumor: Trade Rumors and Proposals: Will Chia get us an Xmas gift?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Why does the NHL have the rule that you can't extend until the last year? It really hurts teams that have a superstar and can't retain him. Who's going to pay anything close to market value when it's only for one year. Then again the NMC probably screws TB on this anyway.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I'm looking at this from two completely different angles.

The first is Stamkos signing here, which I put at less than 1% chance of happening.

1) It needs to be for 10m or less.

2) I understand people are worried about that future cap space, but with a free stamkos, we could make some deals and contend next season. Chicago doesn't regret signing Hossa. They simply had to trade players later for futures and keep a perpetual rebuild under their stars that kept them contending.

All that said, I'm 99%+ certain he won't sign here and I see it as a good thing for 2 reasons.

1) His contract. If we throw the kind of money his way that he will be asking, we may find it tougher to sign McDavid, Draisaitl and Nurse to hometown discounts on their next contracts.

2) If we are spending 10m on free agency, I would rather it be on a 7m #1 dman, and spend the rest on a middle 6 vet forward.

Hell, at 10M, I'd rather keep Nuge. I don't like Nuge's game in the West [mainly because he gets pushed around way too easily] but at 6M, it's more digestible than 10-12M it costs for Stamkos.

The most I'd offer Stamkos is 8M and that's pushing it. He doesn't do much lately it seems and checking his old games, MSL was more of a center than he was. He reminds me more of a level headed Dany Heatley in his prime. And yes, I'm aware Heatley was elite for a good 4-5 years

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I would be all over trying to get Stamkos. As with all things one has to look at cost to obtain and cost to sign but I am seeing some comments on here totally underrating him as a player.

25 years old
4 years with over 40 goals two more shortened seasons where his prorated production is over 50 goals.
Three times over 90 points.
He is an elite scorer, far above any player we have on our team.

Other than Kucherov the rest of Tampa is doing nothing at all this season.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
Oilers have a glut of high-end forwards so it makes perfect sense to sign another high-end forward to a cap-destroying contract. Because reasons. :badidea:

No kidding.
Everyone knows what the Oilers need, but one vague mention of the team being interested in Stamkos and the needs go out the window.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
No kidding.
Everyone knows what the Oilers need, but one vague mention of the team being interested in Stamkos and the needs go out the window.
If you get Stamkos as a UFA you then can trade someone else for that defensive help

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I'm looking at this from two completely different angles.

The first is Stamkos signing here, which I put at less than 1% chance of happening.

1) It needs to be for 10m or less.

2) I understand people are worried about that future cap space, but with a free stamkos, we could make some deals and contend next season. Chicago doesn't regret signing Hossa. They simply had to trade players later for futures and keep a perpetual rebuild under their stars that kept them contending.

All that said, I'm 99%+ certain he won't sign here and I see it as a good thing for 2 reasons.

1) His contract. If we throw the kind of money his way that he will be asking, we may find it tougher to sign McDavid, Draisaitl and Nurse to hometown discounts on their next contracts.

2) If we are spending 10m on free agency, I would rather it be on a 7m #1 dman, and spend the rest on a middle 6 vet forward.

That's my thought as well. For 10 million, would we rather have Stamkos, or Goligoski/Hamhuis/Coburn and Ladd/Lucic/Eriksson/Backes?

This assumes that we could get one of each group at various prices to come out to around 10 or 11 million. We WILL have money to spend this offseason, that's a fact.

lauder73

May 9, 2011
What about Nuge for Johanson, I know it doesn't solve the D issue but it brings in a 6'3 220 lbs right shot centre. Could swing him to RW if need be as well.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
What about Nuge for Johanson, I know it doesn't solve the D issue but it brings in a 6'3 220 lbs right shot centre. Could swing him to RW if need be as well.

I don't think I'd do it. For all the flak RNH gets, he's still outscoring Johansen, on pace for 60 points, plays the most minutes of any forward on this team, and wears an A. He's clearly liked and trusted by McLellan. Johansen is clearly out of favour in Columbus. I think that was the case pre-Tortorella, but Torts is just louder about it. Couple that with the fact that Johansen was reportedly a nightmare to negotiate with and we could find ourselves dealing a locked-down at 6 Nuge for Johansen that would want massive money in two years.

If we do trade Nuge it has to be for defence. Has to be.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Novel idea, not sure how this will go over

Why dont we take the money wed use to sign a oen dimensional scoring winger and use it to sign a 26 year old #1 RHD in Shattenkirk. Who by the way is scoring at almost the exact same rate as Stamkos the last 2 seasons

:dunno:

And we wouldnt even have to pay 9M, 7M probaly gets it done

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
If you get Stamkos as a UFA you then can trade someone else for that defensive help

So lets say we land Stamkos at 10M/yr and trade away RNH for defensive help.

On our wings, we will have Stamkos (10M) + Hall (6M) + Eberle (6M) + Pouliot (4M) + Yakupov (2.5M).

Lets not even think about in 2 years when McDavid's contract is up (10M?) and Draisaitl's is up at the end of next season (lets say 6M?).

Even if we trade Pou, that top-6 is costing us nearly 40M in cap space.

It makes no sense. Or are we good with Luke Gazdic as a 3rd liner.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Novel idea, not sure how this will go over

Why dont we take the money wed use to sign a oen dimensional scoring winger and use it to sign a 26 year old #1 RHD in Shattenkirk

:dunno:

Shattenkirk isn't 'free' in terms of assets. That's what makes free agents so damned appealing - they don't cost anything but dollars. That's why I see the lure in signing Stamkos.

Get him for 'free', trade Eberle/RNH + the 2016 1st for Shattenkirk, Nikitin, Scrivens, Purcell all walk, buy out Ference, trade Schultz for a pick, trade Fayne somewhere for something...

Hall-Stamkos-Draisaitl (16M)
Pouliot-McDavid-Eberle (11M)
(Stempniak) - (Helm) - Yakupov (8.5M)
Hendricks - Letestu - Pakarinen (4.5M)
Lander, Khaira (1.5M)

Klefbom-Shattenkirk (9M)
Nurse-Sekera (6.5M)
Davidson-Reinhart (3M)
Gryba (1.5M)

Nilsson (2M)
Talbot (2M)

65.5M.

Obviously this lineup assumes a crap-ton (like being able to dump Fayne and Schultz) and we would be in a world of hurt once it came time to re-sign Shattenkirk, Draisaitl, McDavid, and Nurse...but damn would that be fun to watch.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
So lets say we land Stamkos at 10M/yr and trade away RNH for defensive help.

On our wings, we will have Stamkos (10M) + Hall (6M) + Eberle (6M) + Pouliot (4M) + Yakupov (2.5M).

Lets not even think about in 2 years when McDavid's contract is up (10M?) and Draisaitl's is up at the end of next season (lets say 6M?).

Even if we trade Pou, that top-6 is costing us nearly 40M in cap space.

It makes no sense. Or are we good with Luke Gazdic as a 3rd liner.

It just means you have to have a relatively young, and home grown, bottom 6. If the 4th line next year was say Khaira - Yakimov - Pakarinen, are we really in trouble? I'm not sure we would be any worse off

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Can we just bite down and give Connor McDavid his $10m so we can stop with all of these pipe dreams of adding even more high-end talent.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
It just means you have to have a relatively young, and home grown, bottom 6. If the 4th line next year was say Khaira - Yakimov - Pakarinen, are we really in trouble? I'm not sure we would be any worse off

I'm really not sure we have the drafting and development to have such a model in place in the future, plus that's a whole lot of inexperience. Our PK would almost assuredly suffer.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Super high end talent almost never becomes available. Super high end Dmen almost never become available. Shattenkirk is a pipe dream.

Stamkos is a level higher than most of our other high end talent. 10 million? That's a no go for sure but we really don't know what he would accept and for how long.

I will say this, I am confident tour Gm is at least smart enough to poke around and look into it other than to dismiss it out of hand.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
We can negotiate an extension with Draisaitl after this season I believe. Burning a year of ELC might turn into a great thing for Oilers. No way Drai commands more than Hall\RNH so locking him up should only take 5M-6M per year especially if McDavid pushes him down to 2nd line right away.

I also dont see Pouliot finishing his contract with the Oilers so there could possibly be some cap saving right there down the road.

I dont think Oilers should be getting Stamkos for 10M\per but to say we wont be able to fit him would be incorrect.

We will have to lock up Nurse, Davidson and Reinhart for cheap and walk away from Schultz and Fayne.

scb23

Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton
I can understand the reservations some of you have about pursuing Stamkos - cap hit, another high end forward... but if you can get a player like this FOR FREE (little or no assets) you do it! Getting players is hard. How many GM's have said this?? You get the player and then guess what?! You have another player you can use as a trading chip!!

We have a tonne of money coming off the books next year, and if we could sign Stammer for $10m it makes guys like RNH, Ebs and/or Yak expendable. I'm not convinced Stamkos is in decline, he's way too good and still really young. He's just been without a proper setup guy since MSL left. We have a few guys that I can see clicking with him. Anything north of $10m is way to risky though.

Yes, 2-3 years from now things will get interesting trying to keep all the good players we have, but that's a good problem to have. We've been through 10 years of **** trying to get good players and no one would come here!

I do agree that an upgrade on D is the most pressing issue, but you don't stop building roads just because you have potholes. We have enough coming off the books next year, and enough value contracts that our players should be easily movable should we need to.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I'm really not sure we have the drafting and development to have such a model in place in the future, plus that's a whole lot of inexperience. Our PK would almost assuredly suffer.

I have confidence in some of our players coming along, and Chia finding more. Say we use Nuge to get a dman, we'd still have

Hall - Drai - Purcell/Yak/FA
Pouliot - McDavid - Stamkos
Hendricks - Letestu - FA (2.5-3 million)
Khaira - Lander/Yakimov - Pakarinen

We lose a couple goals from the bottom 6, but that top 6 is probably the best in the league.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
We can negotiate an extension with Draisaitl after this season I believe. Burning a year of ELC might turn into a great thing for Oilers. No way Drai commands more than Hall\RNH so locking him up should only take 5M-6M per year especially if McDavid pushes him down to 2nd line right away.

I also dont see Pouliot finishing his contract with the Oilers so there could possibly be some cap saving right there down the road.

I dont think Oilers should be getting Stamkos for 10M\per but to say we wont be able to fit him would be incorrect.

We will have to lock up Nurse, Davidson and Reinhart for cheap and walk away from Schultz and Fayne.

I really think/hope Chiarelli will go the bridge route with Draisaitl and Nurse.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I have confidence in some of our players coming along, and Chia finding more. Say we use Nuge to get a dman, we'd still have

Hall - Drai - Purcell/Yak/FA
Pouliot - McDavid - Stamkos
Hendricks - Letestu - FA (2.5-3 million)
Khaira - Lander/Yakimov - Pakarinen

We lose a couple goals from the bottom 6, but that top 6 is probably the best in the league.

That third line is still terribad, though. Hendricks and Letestu really should be fourth liners.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
That third line is still terribad, though. Hendricks and Letestu really should be fourth liners.

It's definitely a weaker 3rd line, but depending on who the 3rd player is, it's still passable. It's defensively responsible, and can take a lot of PK time. Say we get Helm or Lewis, that's not a horrible line.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
It's definitely a weaker 3rd line, but depending on who the 3rd player is, it's still passable. It's defensively responsible, and can take a lot of PK time. Say we get Helm or Lewis, that's not a horrible line.

Helm, sure, but Lewis is best suited as a 4th liner as well. I'd like to see a third line with some talent on it instead of the muckers we have now.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
No kidding.

100%.

Not to mention the obvious cap issues Stamkos brings with him.

Acquiring Stampkos makes no sense what so ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad